ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Almost anything on this list under the $10,000 threshold is probably nothing to worry about other than maybe a few games suspension or virtually meaningless forfeited games. Anything over, start worrying.
The biggest issue in this is (I believe):

If you are aware that a player may have received impermissible benefits, play him anyway, and later find out that they were in fact impermissible, you forfeit all games that player played in. Does MSU (and others) assume that risk or do they sit players immediately?

The biggest issue in this is (I believe):

If you are aware that a player may have received impermissible benefits, play him anyway, and later find out that they were in fact impermissible, you forfeit all games that player played in. Does MSU (and others) assume that risk or do they sit players immediately?
If it can be proved that the university was aware, yes.

Well let’s bet on it then if you truly think Beilein/Michigan are involved in this.
I'd bet good money that you can find a player from just about any school involved in this. It doesn't require that a coach be dirty for it to happen. I'd assume Beilein knows this is going on in basketball and possibly with kids he's coached. He just likely isn't one of the guys steering players.

Reactions: northeastspartan
I'd bet good money that you can find a player from just about any school involved in this. It doesn't require that a coach be dirty for it to happen. Beilein knows this is going on in basketball and possibly with kids he's coached. He just likely isn't one of the guys steering players.

So shall we bet on it?

I don't care to bet on the likelihood that a report comes out with a Michigan player on it. I'm just not naïve enough to act like every school isn't vulnerable to this activity.

You literally just said you’d bet good money on it. Make up your mind.

I don't care to bet on the likelihood that a report comes out with a Michigan player on it. I'm just not naïve enough to act like every school isn't vulnerable to this activity.
Yep, I firmly believe that Matt Painter is clean. But I have no way of knowing whether Joe the well heeled Purdue Alum in Chicago is clean and whether he has ever slipped a player an envelope. Or whether a player's parents met with someone they thought was acting in their kid's best interest and that person slipped them an envelope.

I don't see how that stuff will ever be completely eliminated.

Yep, I firmly believe that Matt Painter is clean. But I have no way of knowing whether Joe the well heeled Purdue Alum in Chicago is clean and whether he has ever slipped a player an envelope. Or whether a player's parents met with someone they thought was acting in their kid's best interest and that person slipped them an envelope.

Izzo has been on his knees BEGGING people around michigan state to stop this, it sickens him. has accidentally been stepped on multiple times during his pleas.

I will go a step further and say the clean guys are even aware of some of it but turn a blind eye. I think that's what a clean P5 coach looks like. I can't say that I fault them either. It's the environment that they are forced to operate in.

Thank the freaking Lord. The players can't take that type of a grind physically OR mentally. It didn't work so it shouldn't happen. Glad they at least realize that. Next step is to keep the BIG Tournament in either Chicago or Indianapolis. This means EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. No more of this New York or Washington DC crap. Thanks in advance

I will go a step further and say the clean guys are even aware of some of it but turn a blind eye. I think that's what a clean P5 coach looks like. I can't say that I fault them either. It's the environment that they are forced to operate in.
I wouldn't classify them as clean then. And given how many times Painter has walked away from a kid he was recruiting, I really don't believe he (or Beilein or Bo Ryan) did that either.

I wouldn't classify them as clean then. And given how many times Painter has walked away from a kid he was recruiting, I really don't believe he (or Beilein or Bo Ryan) did that either.
I'm not referring to Pitino/Louisville dollars, but I'm sure they've heard of some impermissible benefits given to their athletes at some point.

Beilein once self reported because accidentally text a recruit when he meant to email the recruit with his phone. He’s dirty.

Reactions: boilerzz and Mgkcbb
I wouldn't even be upset if they rotated between Chicago and Indianapolis. Start with Chicago next year, then in 2019-2020 go to Indianapolis and back to Chicago in 2020-2021, etc. Just keep it in those 2 spots. One of those 2 or both, is where it belongs. I don't really care. When it's not there is when I will care and that's when the problems arise. This year being the perfect example

Thank the freaking Lord. The players can't take that type of a grind physically OR mentally. It didn't work so it shouldn't happen. Glad they at least realize that. Next step is to keep the BIG Tournament in either Chicago or Indianapolis. This means EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. No more of this New York or Washington DC crap. Thanks in advance

Thank god. I won't be surprised to see the tournament back in MSG, but I believe its in Chicago and Indianapolis for the foreseeable future.

MSU fans will die defending their knight in rusting armor.

Izzo's time is running out. Only a matter of time. Scumbag.
I've never seen a group of fans so literally butt hurt over one team and coach. The conspiracy theories running rampant and the holier than thou stance that you guys are taking is hilariously pathetic. You Purdue fans are really living up to your stereotypes. Well done I guess?

Thank god. I won't be surprised to see the tournament back in MSG, but I believe its in Chicago and Indianapolis for the foreseeable future.
That last part, I just saw that. It said "The 2019 through 2022 Tournaments will return to alternating between United Center in Chicago and Bankers Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis." I, for one, DEFINITELY WOULD be surprised to see it go back to MSG. The nBE owns the rights to MSG for their Conference Tournament so the only way the BIG can have it there is to have it a week before everyone else, like this year. And they already admitted that it was a mistake to have it like those. That's why I don't see it going back there

xFrJtHx
Beilein once self reported because accidentally text a recruit when he meant to email the recruit with his phone. He’s dirty.
giphy.gif

Finally good basketball news today.

Coach Thad Matta was made fun of by players because he would not even give them coins for the candy bar machines. There are guys out there who refused to cheat.
Weber once walked by a hungry child begging for coins because he could potentially one day be a recruit.

All of the cute little anecdotes are cool and all, but they prove nothing.

I've never seen a group of fans so literally butt hurt over one team and coach. The conspiracy theories running rampant and the holier than thou stance that you guys are taking is hilariously pathetic. You Purdue fans are really living up to your stereotypes. Well done I guess?
Hey man, there's finally evidence to support our years worth of butthurt.

Thanks for playing though, dick rider.

Hey man, there's finally evidence to support our years worth of butthurt.

Thanks for playing though, dick rider.
$400? That's what you're pinning your entire over hyped, weird AF obsession over anything MSU related? Really? Sooooooooo sad. And I thought I couldn't make fun of you guys further.

Reactions: SpartyRBS
I mean, I didn't think I could make fun of you Purdue guys more but man....

This is way worse than the old sorry excuses y'all use when a recruit picks a different school. I mean, it's either they cheated or they couldn't get in because the academic standards at Purdue are soooooooo rigorous for athletes that they couldn't get in.

Baseless claims and accusations stem from obsession
I mean, I remember Purdue fans claiming something like Dawson's mom told someone in a bar that she got paid or some nonsense like that. Just like 27th hand info and crazy conspiracy theories. BUT, then when Swanigan decommitted from MSU and chose Purdue, there couldn't have been anything shady even though Barnes was a Purdue grad. COULDN'T see anything wrong with that. Lol.

ADVERTISEMENT