ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a gap between Kansas and the field?

tenor.gif

Not really tho...about 10 teams have a shot. I do think KU, has arguably, the best chance.

Or am I giving the Jayhawks too much credit?
You're not, they've been the best team all year.

I'd feel comfortable betting on either KU, MSU or Duke to cut down the nets this year vs the field.

They all have 2 elite players including a PG: KU (Dotson/Azubuike), MSU (Winston/Tillman) and Duke (Jones/Carey).

They all have X factor secondary playmakers that can impact a game: KU (Garrett/Agbaji), MSU (Watts/Henry) and Duke (Stanley/Moore).

They all have HoF coaches.

I don't see teams like the Zags, FSU the Big East teams or SDSU having the top end talent required to win 6 games in a row either due to defensive warts or being too 3 ball reliant. Plus, they all only have 1 true elite player at most that can take over a game.

Dayton is interesting though, I do think they have the best player (Toppin) but I'm not sure how Crutcher stacks up to the more elite guards in the country.

Only Villanova in 2018 had a higher difference in efficiency margin on KenPom between the #1 team and the #2 team as this year's KU squad vs the Zags who are #2.

The difference is even higher than UK 2012 and UK 2015 squads who were seen as overwhelming favorites headed into the tournament those years.

KU is as very clear of a favorite to cut down the nets as we've had.

Reactions: cooljeff
Only Villanova in 2018 had a higher difference in efficiency margin on KenPom between the #1 team and the #2 team as this year's KU squad vs the Zags who are #2.

The difference is even higher than UK 2012 and UK 2015 squads who were seen as overwhelming favorites headed into the tournament those years.

KU is as very clear of a favorite to cut down the nets as we've had.

Are you talking Kenpom pre-tourney or post-tourney?

Duke 02 and 04 had larger margins post-tourney. And there was a massive gap between 11 Ohio St and the #2 team. Despite the fact that none of those teams won it all.

Last edited:
My lord that would suck to lose to them again.

3 losses in the last 5 tournaments + losing Jeremiah Robinson-Earl to them + the final minute collapse against them earlier this year
Villanova seems to hit every big crunch time shot against us... It never fails.

Of course two years ago they just hit every shot the first 30 minutes. That was just insane. They were HOT.

I'd feel comfortable betting on either KU, MSU or Duke to cut down the nets this year vs the field.

They all have 2 elite players including a PG: KU (Dotson/Azubuike), MSU (Winston/Tillman) and Duke (Jones/Carey).

They all have X factor secondary playmakers that can impact a game: KU (Garrett/Agbaji), MSU (Watts/Henry) and Duke (Stanley/Moore).

I don't see teams like the Zags, FSU the Big East teams or SDSU having the top end talent required to win 6 games in a row either due to defensive warts or being too 3 ball reliant. Plus, they all only have 1 true elite player at most that can take over a game.

Dayton is interesting though, I do think they have the best player (Toppin) but I'm not sure how Crutcher stacks up to the more elite guards in the country.
Let’s bet. I’ll take the field.

Duke lol

Imagine KU facing those slow, pasty Iowa farmboys. LOL.

Over/under 13 dunks for Azubuike? 10 layups for Dotson?
I'll say this, I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Dok and Garza go at it.
If that happens, the refs just need to calm their whistles down and let them play. There would be blood shed for sure.

Reactions: WestTexasRaider
Imagine KU facing those slow, pasty Iowa farmboys. LOL.

Over/under 13 dunks for Azubuike? 10 layups for Dotson?
The biggest sports year in @EvilMonkeyInTheCloset and @hawkit3113 's life happened 4 years ago. Check this out.

Iowa was ranked #3 in basketball at one point of the year. They then went on to lose 8 out of 14 and lose in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament. This is probably the best year Iowa has had in basketball since the 1990's.
Iowa was ranked #3 in football then proceeded to lose to the Big 10 championship to the worst team ever to play in the CFB Playoff (MSU) and then Iowa went to the Rose Bowl and got blown out by 30 points, eventually leading to @hawkit3113's 3 year ban from Rivals.

That's it. That's the biggest sports year of their lives. That's their version of our 2008 when Kansas won the Orange Bowl and then later won the NCAA Tournament.

Now you know why they have such a hard-on for Kansas. Kansas is the superior program from the region and they know it.

I'll say this, I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Dok and Garza go at it.
If that happens, the refs just need to calm their whistles down and let them play. There would be blood shed for sure.
Garza always sheds blood, it seems. Don't matter who he's playing against.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Garza always sheds blood, it seems. Don't matter who he's playing against.
I'm sure he'd get his share against Kansas if they played. He's good enough to overcome their defense. The problem is that the rest of the team is not. And KU would probably score 80 against the Iowa defense so Iowa would have to really play one of their better games of the year to win. Because that Kansas defense does not give up 80 points to anybody.

Good luck Tumbleweeds. The NPOY year has played better competition all year long.

National Pug-ugly Of the Year? Yeah, I’d vote for him.

Playing more average teams and losing to them ain’t impressive. KU’s SOS is higher anyway. Fail sauce.

I'm sure he'd get his share against Kansas if they played. He's good enough to overcome their defense. The problem is that the rest of the team is not. And KU would probably score 80 against the Iowa defense so Iowa would have to really play one of their better games of the year to win. Because that Kansas defense does not give up 80 points to anybody.
Oh rest assured I'm not pumping up Iowa. I was only commenting that Garza often got bloodied.

It helps to have a true big or 2(like WVU) strong enough to contain Azubuike.

Last edited:
it does...but KU swept WVU this year

Yeah well so did Oklahoma. WVU kept the 2 games woth Kansas close though and was even up most of the game until the end in their home one. If they could hqve shot free throws well, they would have probably won.

Last edited:
KU is without a doubt the best team in my opinion and should be the favorite. We all know that doesn’t really mean anything. There are clearly plenty of teams capable of beating KU.

KU beats anyone in a best of 7. However in a one and done tourney who knows.

KU is without a doubt the best team in my opinion and should be the favorite. We all know that doesn’t really mean anything. There are clearly plenty of teams capable of beating KU.

KU beats anyone in a best of 7. However in a one and done tourney who knows.
I really can’t remember the last time when KU was the clear favorite heading into the tournament like they are this year. Usually they are 1 of 2 or 3 clear favorites. They’re never this far ahead by themselves. If they win it all I really won’t care much if they get hit with sanctions. And I’ll probably riot if the tournament gets cancelled because of the coronavirus, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT