ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hunter Dickinson the problem?

boilerzz

Jul 5, 2002
Team
Purdue
Consider:

Dickinson played last season at Michigan. Despite playing on a team with two first round picks, the Wolverines failed to make the NCAA tournament.

In the offseason, Dickinson takes the money and transfers to Kansas. End result; Bill Self loses 7 conference games for the first time in his career and the Jayhawks are struggling down the stretch.

Great players make those around them better. Does Dickinson?

Consider:

Dickinson played last season at Michigan. Despite playing on a team with two first round picks, the Wolverines failed to make the NCAA tournament.

In the offseason, Dickinson takes the money and transfers to Kansas. End result; Bill Self loses 7 conference games for the first time in his career and the Jayhawks are struggling down the stretch.

Personally, I think the problem is Self did a terrible job constructing a team that has no depth, whatsoever.

Injuries happen every year, but you need to construct a roster that can withstand an injury. Hence, have some flippin depth.

He failed miserably, in that regard.

I didn’t think he would make a big difference. Nothing in his game really grabs you, a good player yes, missing piece for a run I don’t see it but Self is a significant upgrade over Howard.

KU may go on a run but the key is McCullar being healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bignish
yes as has long been established all Big 10 players are overrated hacks. In the last 10 years the Big10 has produced exactly 1 starting level NBA player. Keegan Murray. That is not a typo.

Before that you gotta go back over 10 years to Carris Levert to find the next starting level player and he's borderline.

Personally, I think the problem is Self did a terrible job constructing a team that has no depth, whatsoever.

Injuries happen every year, but you need to construct a roster that can withstand an injury. Hence, have some flippin depth.

He failed miserably, in that regard.

A Self-imposed scholarship reduction had something to do with that. Morris's charge was a big blow too.

yes as has long been established all Big 10 players are overrated hacks. In the last 10 years the Big10 has produced exactly 1 starting level NBA player. Keegan Murray. That is not a typo.

Before that you gotta go back over 10 years to Carris Levert to find the next starting level player and he's borderline.
Jaden Ivey says hello

I mean, whose fault is all of that?

Seems like KU has a guy kicked off the team/suspended every year...

I can remember 2-3 KU players kicked off the team since I've been following, but sure, every year.

The only thing that KU's lack of depth has cost them so far is the Big 12 regular season title. They've got plenty of those, so I'm not too bothered by it.

Jaden Ivey says hello

Jaden Ivey is barely a starter with the worst team in the league and has been a massive disappointment so far in his career. Doesn't look like he'll be an NBA starter in the long run (or maybe even by next season) Might be one of the Big10's biggest busts when it's all said and done considering how high he was picked.

Not a great retort.

I can remember 2-3 KU players kicked off the team since I've been following, but sure, every year.

The only thing that KU's lack of depth has cost them so far is the Big 12 regular season title. They've got plenty of those, so I'm not too bothered by it.
When did you start following KU basketball?

Also, I said kicked off/suspended...seems like it is one of those two almost every other yr...

Anyways, Self built an incredibly thin roster. KUs bench is awful. Gotta have at least 1-2 guys who can jump in at a moment's notice and contribute in an impactful manner throughout the season.

Draymond Green had a good run. Wasn't he a starter?

Jaden Ivey is barely a starter with the worst team in the league and has been a massive disappointment so far in his career. Doesn't look like he'll be an NBA starter in the long run (or maybe even by next season) Might be one of the Big10's biggest busts when it's all said and done considering how high he was picked.

Not a great retort.
Tell me you don't follow the NBA without telling me you don't follow the NBA.

Reactions: AWilli6995
Tell me you don't follow the NBA without telling me you don't follow the NBA.
you think Ivey has been off to a good start with his career?

I follow the NBA plenty...just look at my avatar!!!!

Jaden Ivey's playing time is 28 min a game and with that he's averaging 15 ppg.
while shooting like crap on the worst team in the league. shooting 34% from 3pt and has gotten worse in that dept from last year to this year.

You really think when it's all said and done he's going to be known as a career NBA starter?

while shooting like crap on the worst team in the league. shooting 34% from 3pt and has gotten worse in that dept from last year to this year.

You really think when it's all said and done he's going to be known as a career NBA starter?

He's in his second year, you're telling me he won't get better?

When did you start following KU basketball?

Also, I said kicked off/suspended...seems like it is one of those two almost every other yr...

Anyways, Self built an incredibly thin roster. KUs bench is awful. Gotta have at least 1-2 guys who can jump in at a moment's notice and contribute in an impactful manner throughout the season.

It probably seems like that because you read a board that creates 10 threads every time something potentially negative about KU is reported.

The lack of depth has hurt them during the conference grind, but depth isn't usually a huge factor in the tourney. And if it is, everyone should probably cross Houston off their list of title favorites. After their recent injury, they're down to 5-6 quality players at best.

I've been wondering all year why Self didn’t get another couple of guys out of the portal. They are really thin, which I believe is their only real issue.
I'm not sure if McCullar is 100% or not, but for KU to get to a FF, they need him to be fully healthy.

Murray is shooting 36.6% from 3 while Ivey is shooting 34.1% for an awful team that is the youngest in the league. TS% difference is 57.8% vs 55.0% while PER is 13.40 vs 13.11. There isn’t some massive gap. Your cut off for “starter level” is abitrary as fck.

Last edited:
So did Magic Johnson and Zeke, but like Draymond neither one was drafted in the past 10 years.
I got what you are saying now. Your post made it sound like in the last 10 years only that one player was successful and you had to go back another 10 years past that. I was thinking Green came into the league around 2012 or 2013.

Consider:

I don't think you have presented a strong case suggesting Dickinson is the problem. The only reasonable way to access that would be to observe Kansas team play and interaction along with is Kansas +/- when Dickinson is in the game and out of the game.

Consider:

Naaaah…..He's lost 6 conference games multiple times the past few seasons. 2019, 2021. Loat 5 last year.

Howard is terrible. HD's not the reason Michigan missed the NCAAT. And hes not the reason KU is struggling, either.

Consider:

Naaaah…..He's lost 6 conference games multiple times the past few seasons. 2019, 2021. Loat 5 last year. One more less, or two isn't that big of a deal. Plus McCullars has been burt

Howard is terrible. HD's not the reason Michigan missed the NCAAT. And hes not the reason KU is struggling, either.

I don't think you have presented a strong case suggesting Dickinson is the problem. The only reasonable way to access that would be to observe Kansas team play and interaction along with is Kansas +/- when Dickinson is in the game and out of the game.

Yeah, I don’t think the guy putting up elite numbers while being double/triple teamed is the problem.

The injury to a potential All American has obviously been the biggest problem. If Edey were injured and Purdue dropped some games, I’m pretty sure nobody would be confused about the cause or looking to blame it on another player.

skipping right over OG and going to Levert is odd.

He’s also forgetting about Franz Wagner, Xavier Tillman, Jaren Jackson Jr, Miles Bridges, OG Anunoby, Deangelo Russell, and Gary Harris.
I didn't forget Wagner when i started writing the post, he was who I thought of first. Then got distracted at work and when I went back to the post I forgot him.

So in the last 10 years the Big10 ha produced a few starting level players. Russel and Harris were prior to that.

So you have JJJ, Franz, Murray, OG and that's about it.

Even if I forgot a few it;s still a pathetic output by the Big10. One all star produced in a decade of draft picks. I bet if you compared that to the rest of the P6 conferences it would be woefully in last.

I didn't forget Wagner when i started writing the post, he was who I thought of first. Then got distracted at work and when I went back to the post I forgot him.

So in the last 10 years the Big10 ha produced a few starting level players. Russel and Harris were prior to that.

So you have JJJ, Franz, Murray, OG and that's about it.

Even if I forgot a few it;s still a pathetic output by the Big10. One all star produced in a decade of draft picks. I bet if you compared that to the rest of the P6 conferences it would be woefully in last.
1) You were wrong with your stupid statement. Glad you could admit it.
2) Count back 10 drafts and tell me what year you land on. Wrong again.
3) What does not making it in the nba have to with college play? You’re telling me Trey Butke wasn’t an awesome college player because he didn’t pan out in the NBA?

The whole premise of your argument was so dumb to start with and your backup evidence for that sht take was wrong too. Just take the L.

Here's a breakdown of all the NBA All-Stars, among the P6 conferences, that came into the league from the past 10 years. The Big East has actually produced the fewest All-Stars. @WeAreDePaul

SEC (10)
Julius Randle, Kentucky
Karl-Anthony Towns, Kentucky
Devin Booker, Kentucky
Ben Simmons, LSU
De'Aaron Fox, Kentucky
Bam Adebayo, Kentucky
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Kentucky
Darius Garland, Vanderbilt
Anthony Edwards, Georgia
Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky
(Jamal Murray hasn't made an all-star team FWIW)

ACC (6)
Brandon Ingram, Duke
Jayson Tatum, Duke
Donovan Mitchell, Louisville
Zion Williamson, Duke
Scottie Barnes, Florida State
Paolo Banchero, Duke

Big 12 (5)
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Joel Embiid, Kansas
Jarrett Allen, Texas
Trae Young, Oklahoma
Tyrese Haliburton, Iowa State

Pac 12 (4)
Zach LaVine, UCLA
Jaylen Brown, California
Dejounte Murray, Washington
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona

Big Ten (2)
D'Angelo Russell, Ohio State
Jaren Jackson, Michigan State

Big East (1)
Jalen Brunson, Villanova

Here's a breakdown of all the NBA All-Stars, among the P6 conferences, that came into the league from the past 10 years. The Big East has actually produced the fewest All-Stars. @WeAreDePaul

SEC (10)
Julius Randle, Kentucky
Devin Booker, Kentucky
Ben Simmons, LSU
De'Aaron Fox, Kentucky
Bam Adebayo, Kentucky
Anthony Edwards, Georgia
Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

ACC (6)
Brandon Ingram, Duke
Jayson Tatum, Duke
Zion Williamson, Duke
Paolo Banchero, Duke

Big 12 (5)
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Joel Embiid, Kansas
Jarrett Allen, Texas
Trae Young, Oklahoma

Pac 12 (4)
Zach LaVine, UCLA
Jaylen Brown, California
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona

Big Ten (2)

Big East (1)
Jalen Brunson, Villanova
proving my point that the Big10 sucks.

SEC (10)
Julius Randle, Kentucky
Devin Booker, Kentucky
Ben Simmons, LSU
De'Aaron Fox, Kentucky
Bam Adebayo, Kentucky
Anthony Edwards, Georgia
Tyrese Maxey, Kentucky

ACC (6)
Brandon Ingram, Duke
Jayson Tatum, Duke
Zion Williamson, Duke
Paolo Banchero, Duke

Big 12 (5)
Andrew Wiggins, Kansas
Joel Embiid, Kansas
Jarrett Allen, Texas
Trae Young, Oklahoma

Pac 12 (4)
Zach LaVine, UCLA
Jaylen Brown, California
Lauri Markkanen, Arizona

Big Ten (2)

Big East (1)
Jalen Brunson, Villanova
Pretty fascinating that the SEC has just 3 non-Kentucky players, the ACC has just 2 non-Duke players, and the B12 has just 3 non-Kansas players.

So outside of the "factory" schools, no major conference has produced all that many all star level players.

Problem is shooting and lack of athleticism at the guard.

One of Harris/KJ starting is fine. Both is a problem. Specifically KJ. Harris would be great with shooters around him like in 22’

Pretty fascinating that the SEC has just 3 non-Kentucky players, the ACC has just 2 non-Duke players, and the B12 has just 3 non-Kansas players.

So outside of the "factory" schools, no major conference has produced all that many all star level players.

Yep. Essentially half of the list right there.

I'd also add that very few of these guys played more than one year of college basketball. I believe Donovan Mitchell, Tyrese Haliburton, and Jalen Brunson are the only ones that returned to school for another year.

ADVERTISEMENT