ADVERTISEMENT

Childish Gambino "This is America" Music Video---

If people are calling you racist for that, they should do a better job of explaining what they mean.

Systemic racism includes within it that people can be unwitting pawns helping perpetrate it. They don't have to intend it or want to, but if their actions work to maintain something with racial bias ingrained in it, they're contributing to it.

For example, President Clinton's administration is responsible for the disproportionate sentencing for crack compared to cocaine. The intention was to target the violent by-products of the crack trade in poor neighborhoods, but the result was disproportionate numbers of people of color being locked up for longer periods of time for mere possession. Meanwhile wealthier, whiter people busted for cocaine were given far more leniency for possession, including shorter sentences and more treatment options, based on nothing more than the difference between powder and rock. That's systemic racism at work, and not one person enforcing it from statehouse to street had to have consciously racist intent. Many of them probably thought they were helping people of color.

With Kaep, being distracted by the gesture at the expense of the cause means the issue of police reform and relationships in communities of color don't get addressed, allowing systemic racism to continue unabated.
With the whole crack vs cocaine deal, I feel like decriminalization of simple possession, at least for the first offense would be a start at reversing the difference in sentancing. But I think there is a difference in what an addict is willing to do, what laws they are willing to break when it comes to using crack vs cocaine. So I think there should be a difference in sentancing. Is there a statistic for white people vs black people who get charged for the same possession of crack and the punishment that gets handed down? I would be interested in that.

As far as Kaepernick is concerned. You are right, his message has been overlooked and essentially tossed out because of his gesture. But I have yet to see many people acknowledge that his message also has been tainted by some of the radical things he has said and his support for Fidel Castro. I am willing to admit that even though I don't like it and don't want to see it anymore, I probably made a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be. But, I will continue to argue anyone who thinks that he doesn't have a job in the NFL simply because of his protest.

Is there a statistic for white people vs black people who get charged for the same possession of crack and the punishment that gets handed down? I would be interested in that.

There have been plenty of those studies:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/17/opinion/sunday/unequal-sentences-for-blacks-and-whites.html

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/11/17/16668770/us-sentencing-commission-race-booker

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...y-finds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.829440bd43db

Not sure if there are any that are so specific to only include crack cocaine possession as the only crime, though.

Reactions: Dattier
I can't belie
The better stats would be to see social class in relation to these charges and whether they stick hard or not? Reason I say is people with money can afford better legal teams than poor people who have to fall back on the court appointed attorneys.

Reactions: 829305
If you noticed I didn't mention anything about Jesus or Christianity. Because it has nothing to do with the immigration issue at hand.
It was an appeal to the decency AFStallion should embody on those grounds.

I don't disagree w/ anything you said that I picked up on in skimming your post.

Reactions: Spacegrass
@Spacegrass made a decent point on legal teams and affordability. I think we can look at this in a different light if we see the difference in public defenders and well known and paid attorneys. Maybe the focus should be on public defenders. My experience working with them has given me the impression that they either don't want to, or don't have the ability to give adequate representation. They also don't get much time with the DA. I also feel like they are quick to push their clients into a guilty pleas. That would be a good place to start when it comes to perceived systematic racism in the court system.

@Spacegrass made a decent point on legal teams and affordability. I think we can look at this in a different light if we see the difference in public defenders and well known and paid attorneys. Maybe the focus should be on public defenders. My experience working with them has given me the impression that they either don't want to, or don't have the ability to give adequate representation. They also don't get much time with the DA. I also feel like they are quick to push their clients into a guilty pleas. That would be a good place to start when it comes to perceived systematic racism in the court system.

Well, that was four minutes I’ll never get back. Not that I wouldn’t have wasted them on something else stupid. But I’m years behind on music trends.

I can't belie

The better stats would be to see social class in relation to these charges and whether they stick hard or not? Reason I say is people with money can afford better legal teams than poor people who have to fall back on the court appointed attorneys.

Yessir. Sometimes it’s more about the green, than the black or white. I threw a big party in high school that got busted one time, and when all was said and done, the kids at the party that didn’t get away (black and white) ended up paying a higher fine than me, the host. Why? Because my dad didn’t screw around and got a lawyer friend to take care of it. The other kids all had the state appointed attorney. They paid $100. I paid $25 for disorderly house or something like that. I was 17 and didn’t get charged anything for all the alcohol. Green plays.

Yessir. Sometimes it’s more about the green, than the black or white. I threw a big party in high school that got busted one time, and when all was said and done, the kids at the party that didn’t get away (black and white) ended up paying a higher fine than me, the host. Why? Because my dad didn’t screw around and got a lawyer friend to take care of it. The other kids all had the state appointed attorney. They paid $100. I paid $25 for disorderly house or something like that. I was 17 and didn’t get charged anything for all the alcohol. Green plays.
So your dad paid thousands of dollars to save $75?

Classic rock. Never listen to country....or pretend country. Actually it’s hard to get me out of the 70s.
There should be some cheaper bus tickets available for you to expand your horizon past the Mississippi.

So your dad paid thousands of dollars to save $75?
Ha. Lawyer was a friend, as stated. He paid nothing, I’m sure. Good try though.

But, that wasn’t really the point, was it? I’ll say it slowly, think that might help you. I had about a 100 underage kids getting shitfaced at my house and could’ve been hammered for it. I paid $25 and it didn’t even stick to my record. That help?

Last edited:
Reactions: SNU0821
Ha. Lawyer was a friend, as stated. He paid nothing, I’m sure. Good try though.

But, that wasn’t really the point. I’ll say it slowly. I had about a 100 underage kids getting shitfaced at my house and could’ve been hammered for it. I paid $25 and it didn’t even stick to my record. That help?
Sure thing pal

Don’t get salty. I’m not the one who shared some ******ed anecdotal story.

The “******ed” story explains that green can matter a lot more than black and white. But, you know that already don’t you? Obtuse plays better for you, I get it.

The “******ed” story explains that green can matter a lot more than black and white. But, you know that already don’t you? Obtuse plays better for you, I get it.
Story is non-sensical

1. Cops hand out tickets on site and don’t differentiate between kids.
2. If it went as far as a judge, said judge would just throw the ticket/charge out. Not reduce it by $75.
3. The overall premise of your story misses the mark. Your ticket wasn’t reduced because of money. It was because daddy called in a favor. This story would have been more apropos if you were trying to extol the virtues of its not what you know, but who you know.

Stick to shitty LeBron trolls, scooter.

Story is non-sensical

1. Cops hand out tickets on site and don’t differentiate between kids.
2. If it went as far as a judge, said judge would just throw the ticket/charge out. Not reduce it by $75.
3. The overall premise of your story misses the mark. Your ticket wasn’t reduced because of money. It was because daddy called in a favor. This story would have been more apropos if you were trying to extol the virtues of its not what you know, but who you know.

Stick to shitty LeBron trolls, scooter.
1. We all went to court.
2. My charges were obviously different because I hosted the party.
3. Again, we went to court and I watched my lawyer talk to the judge, after he called him by his first name. No, anyone could have paid for this lawyer, if they had the money.

I’d tell you to stick to being a shitty poster, but you got that in spades.

1. We all went to court.
2. My charges were obviously different because I hosted the party.
3. Again, we went to court and I watched my lawyer talk to the judge, after he called him by his first name. No, anyone could have paid for this lawyer, if they had the money.

I’d tell you to stick to being a shitty poster, but you got that in spades.
So let me get this straight:

- your argument is that green makes the world go ‘round

- your dad doesn’t actually pay a lawyer, but instead, leans on a friend for a favor?

On top of a silly story, you can’t even get the point correct. This is not a good look, pal.

So let me get this straight:

- your argument is that green makes the world go ‘round

- your dad doesn’t actually pay a lawyer, but instead, leans on a friend for a favor?

On top of a silly story, you can’t even get the point correct. This is not a good look, pal.

You know lawyers work for money, right? And the better ones cost more? Just wondering how much I need to explain to you.

Rape is bad, too, while we’re at this

You know lawyers work for money, right? And the better ones cost more? Just wondering how much I need to explain to you.

Rape is bad, too, while we’re at this
The lawyer in your story didn’t work for money, according to you.

The lawyer in your story didn’t work for money, according to you.
You’re correct!

Point being my friends could’ve paid for him. Their “green” could have got their “white” and “black” asses off scot-free had they paid him. My charges were much worse.

Finally, and you might get this, the point was simply that green can trump black and white, at times. How I acquired the lawyer didn’t matter, but you chose to focus on that w your first reply.

Sad it took this long to get here. Have a great day. And, don’t rape.

You’re correct!

Point being my friends could’ve paid for him. Their “green” could have got their “white” and “black” asses off scot-free had they paid him. My charges were much worse.

Finally, and you might get this, the point was simply that green can trump black and white, at times. How I acquired the lawyer didn’t matter, but you chose to focus on that w your first reply.

Sad it took this long to get here. Have a great day. And, don’t rape.
Why would they pay him huge fees to save $75?

"This is America"? Unless it's South America, and then what does it matter where it was?

"This is America"? Unless it's South America, and then what does it matter where it was?
You have been in a special mood lately. You do know that this thread has had nothing to do with the OP for a while now, right. Maybe it's best that you put me back on ignore if everything I post makes your butt hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT