ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball coaches on hot seat: Who is lacking job security and might need a good 2020-21

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015
Five coaches whose seat is warm as we get ready to start the season

The COVID-19 pandemic that abruptly canceled the 2020 NCAA Tournament back in March also made the coaching carousel that normally spins wildly barely spin at all -- evidence being that only one power-conference job actually opened following the season. So who knows how things will go next March/April considering we'll still likely be dealing with this pandemic? And, don't forget, athletic departments from coast-to-coast are currently enduring massive financial losses, relative to the revenue normally created, because of their inability to sell tickets to football and basketball games like they normally would.

Will schools be able to afford big buyouts?

Will they even want to try?

That's my way of acknowledging upfront that it's impossible to know with any degree of certainty whether jobs will open after this upcoming season the way they might in normal times. But, either way, no preseason would be complete without an annual Coaches On The Hot Seat column that serves as a list of men whose careers could be altered, for one reason or another, if things don't go well for them.

So here's a list of coaches on the hot seat:

Jim Christian (Boston College)
This is, unfortunately, the third straight preseason Jim Christian has made this list, the result of him entering his seventh year at Boston College without having ever finished better than 10th in the ACC. In other words, the Eagles haven't sniffed the NCAA Tournament under Christian after making it seven times from 2001 to 2009 under former coach Al Skinner. So unless Christian spends this season improving on his 25-85 record in ACC games -- and he likely won't considering Boston College is expected to finish near the bottom of the league standings -- his final game in the ACC Tournament could be his last game as an ACC coach.

Itching for more college hoops analysis? Listen below and subscribe to the Eye on College Basketball podcast where we take you beyond the hardwood with insider information and instant reactions.

PAID CONTENT BY VERIZONGet Fios. On the network businesses rely on.1st year price with 2-year agreement, plus taxes, fees and equip charges.

Dave Leitao (DePaul)
Dave Leitao appeared on this list in advance of the 2018-19 season. He then finished last in the Big East but still kept his job. So, understandably, Leitao appeared on this list again in advance of last season. He then, once again, finished last in the Big East but still kept his job. So here we are again. And considering Leitao's Blue Demons are projected to finish either last or next-to-last in the Big East by basically everybody, the odds of him getting a seventh season don't seem great. But, at this point, with DePaul, who knows?

Gregg Marshall (Wichita State)
This is undoubtedly the first time Gregg Marshall's name has ever appeared on a list like this list. Needless to say, it's not here because of too much losing but instead because of allegations that the 2014 Naismith National Coach of the Year has mentally and physically abused players. One allegation is that Marshall once punched a player. Another is that he once choked an assistant. In the spirit of fairness, let the record show that Marshall has said he's "never physically struck a player or colleague." But Wichita State is currently conducting its own investigation. And if the evidence contradicts what Marshall is insisting, it'll be hard for the AAC program to justify keeping him -- although, it should be noted, that Marshall still has strong ties to some big-money supporters who would prefer to keep him regardless of the outcome of the investigation. So we'll see.

Sean Miller (Arizona)
Arizona recently received a notice of allegations from the NCAA that reportedly features five Level I violations, one of which accuses Sean Miller of lack of head coach control and is punishable by up to a season-long suspension. Given that two of Miller's assistants (Book Richardson and Mark Phelps) have been fired in the past three years for rules violations, I'm not sure there's a good way for Miller to argue that he did in fact have control of his staff. So it's possible, if not likely, that the NCAA will hit him hard. And if it does, there's at least a chance Arizona will finally decide it's time to move on and start fresh.

Will Wade (LSU)
Will Wade is basically in the same situation as Miller -- riding out an NCAA investigation that probably won't end well for him. The NCAA has accused the LSU coach of either arranging for, offering or providing impermissible benefits, including cash payments, to "at least 11" potential recruits or others around them. That's obviously a lot to get around. And if the NCAA ultimately finds Wade, for lack of a better phrase, guilty as charged, the result would be a lengthy suspension that likely ends in a coaching change.

Final Thought
Other "Hot Seat" lists you'll see this preseason might include, among others, Stanford's Jerod Haase, SMU's Tim Jankovich, Indiana's Archie Miller, Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner, Texas' Shaka Smart, and Kansas' Bill Self. But I chose to leave them off of this list because, in the simplest of terms I believe they're all going to have good-enough seasons to survive or, in Self's case, survive because his administration seems prepared to fight for him, and then stand by him, almost regardless of what happens with KU's ongoing NCAA case.

I have Indiana and Texas in the CBS Sports Preseason Top 25 And 1. I have Stanford and Georgia Tech as possible, if not likely, NCAA Tournament teams. I think SMU will finish in the top three of the AAC. So, sure, if things go horrifically bad at Texas, Indiana, Stanford, Georgia Tech or SMU, a coaching change could become a realistic possibility. But, on paper, the coaches at those schools are entering this season with quality teams. So, for now, I'm going to trust them to succeed.

Only thing that matters for Shaka and Texas is where they are against the conference

Put Texas in the SEC or PAC 12 they may be the best team in the conference

But in the Big 12 they could be the fourth or fifth best team.

They really have to improve dramatically to be more than 2 games better than last year.
Could be 11-7 in the Big 12 and still not be there they want to be .

They will find out after the first 3 games in the Big 12 where they are at
At Baylor in Game 1 and At Kansas in Game 3.

The Baylor Game last year like Texas Tech in 2018-2019 showed the issues with the program

1) Turnovers
2) Inefficient offense

They held Baylor to under 60 points in Waco and still weren't in the game
Played slightly better against them in Austin but still couldn't put together anything on offense

Only thing that matters for Shaka and Texas is where they are against the conference

They really have to improve dramatically to be more than 2 games better than last year.
Could be 11-7 in the Big 12 and still not be there they want to be .

They will find out after the first 3 games in the Big 12 where they are at
At Baylor in Game 1 and At Kansas in Game 3.

The Baylor Game last year like Texas Tech in 2018-2019 showed the issues with the program

1) Turnovers
2) Inefficient offense

They held Baylor to under 60 points in Waco and still weren't in the game
Played slightly better against them in Austin but still couldn't put together anything on offense

Eh PAC -12 yes, SEC no.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Not particularly high on Tennessee

They may end up with a decent ranking
But I don't see an actual Top 15 team in that conference

Maybe Kentucky. But they have too many new pieces

Disagree about UT- and Kentucky , new pieces every season but always top 20 at minimum / King Cal

That is where I have them 15-20.
As of right now I have Texas in that same position.

But the Big 12 has three legit Top 10 teams.
Much harder to get out of that box in a conference with that than one without

Eh disagree about big 12 having three top legit teams -KU yes, TTU, UT and WVU all with UK and Vols

Oops, yeah Baylor def top 10. WVU question is their backcourt and TTU has many new pieces like UK.

They were a Top 10 KenPom team last year.
They lose 2 players. One who really played.

They are a team who is very difficult to match up against because of their size and rebounding
If you grab offensive rebounds doesn't matter if you can't make baskets.

BartTorvik has them #2 to start the season. Actually behind Texas.
He has 5 Big 12 teams in his Top 10.

Back to my point about Texas.
Shaka really has to have his team playing at a high level this year or the improvement might not really be noticed.

Lol at Self being on the hot seat.
He never said he was.... He said...

Other "Hot Seat" lists you'll see this preseason might include, among others, Stanford's Jerod Haase, SMU's Tim Jankovich, Indiana's Archie Miller, Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner, Texas' Shaka Smart, and Kansas' Bill Self...

In other words, he's one, saying "other" as in,not his....But someone else's. And two, he did say "MIGHT".

Archies run was a fluke, he beat bad teams to get to the E8. Awful hire for IU but it’s IU.
Huh? Dayton beat 6th seed Ohio State(25-9, 4th in the Big 10).....3- Seed Syracuse(28-6, 2nd in the ACC. Started the season 25-0).....Stanford was a 10 seed....but they did win 23 games, and well, beat 2nd seeded Kansas. They were also ranked 24th.

In other words, Dayton beat 3 Top 25 teams on the their way to the Elite 8....ANd if you wanna use KenPom, they beat the 18th, 19th and 34th rated teams...Hardly "bad teams".

Research isn't that difficult...

ALso, nowhere close to an awful hire..Certainly not a home run, or a sexy hire. But certainly not awful. IMO, a pretty good hire. MOF, I think its the right hire. Miller is the right guy, the right kind of guy. This year is huge, and will be telling. Lot of good pieces at his disposal....

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What's Archie's NCAA record @ IU? Were they making it last year? What seed range if yes?

He probably belongs on the hot seat. The football team is better than the bball team. That's a no go @ IU. If you guys feel like being honest.

It's not that he's a bad coach, but he probably shouldn't be the HC at a top tier program. If you want to make the argument IU is no longer top tier, I'd disagree.

Huh? Dayton beat 6th seed Ohio State(25-9, 4th in the Big 10).....3- Seed Syracuse(28-6, 2nd in the ACC. Started the season 25-0).....Stanford was a 10 seed....but they did win 23 games, and well, beat 2nd seeded Kansas. They were also ranked 24th.

In other words, Dayton beat 3 Top 25 teams on the their way to the Elite 8....ANd if you wanna use KenPom, they beat the 18th, 19th and 34th rated teams...Hardly "bad teams".

Research isn't that difficult...

ALso, nowhere close to an awful hire..Certainly not a home run, or a sexy hire. But certainly not awful. IMO, a pretty good hire. MOF, I think its the right hire. Miller is the right guy, the right kind of guy. This year is huge, and will be telling. Lot of good pieces at his disposal....
quoting this just to remind me after this season

quoting this just to remind me after this season
Remind you of....??? I mean those will still be the teams Dayton beat..The whole premise of your statement was predicated around Dayton beating bad teams, and being lucky. That simply wasn't true.

Indiana has gotten better each year. Would have been an NCAAT team last year. Will be this year. If they are not---or hell, if they are 20-12(again), I'm probably gonna be concerned. Even then, still not an awful hire. An awful hire was BCG...That was an awful hire.

To be fair about Stanford that season (14), if Embid was healthy that postseason for KU, now ay Stanford beats them imo...

UK pays rent to Regional Finals hosts in the NCAAs. They are always loaded. It is true they tend to coast during a boring regular season some years, but in the end they nearly always end up being a top 5/10 team, and it takes a team similar in kind to end their season.

Nearly every year I read about them allegedly being down and nearly every year those people are wrong.

But I don't see an actual Top 15 team in that conference

Maybe Kentucky. But they have too many new pieces

Uh, have you been watching college basketball the last decade? UK has many new pieces EVERY year. I think they've finished inside the T15 final AP poll like 10 out of the last 12 years, or something close to that.

Whoa Nelly!

Last edited:
That is why as of right now they are 15-20.

According to who? ESPN put them @ #5... CBS put them @ #13.

IPWH has them @ #7. (the only source that f'n matters)

To be clear yeah it does look like TX is turning a corner. If I were a TX fan I'd wait to see us win a tourney game under Shaka before claiming to have invented the sport, but do you my man.

According to who? ESPN put them @ #5... CBS put them @ #13.

IPWH has them @ #7. (the only source that f'n matters)

To be clear yeah it does look like TX is turning a corner. If I were a TX fan I'd wait to see us win a tourney game under Shaka before claiming to have invented the sport, but do you my man.

They are 15-20 right now...

Anyone who has them higher is basing it on name value.

In the Big 12 they would be at best the third best team this year. Possibly the sixth.

Until you actually see different.

Remind you of....??? I mean those will still be the teams Dayton beat..The whole premise of your statement was predicated around Dayton beating bad teams, and being lucky. That simply wasn't true.

Indiana has gotten better each year. Would have been an NCAAT team last year. Will be this year. If they are not---or hell, if they are 20-12(again), I'm probably gonna be concerned. Even then, still not an awful hire. An awful hire was BCG...That was an awful hire.
i’m quoting to see if your prediction for archie will come true.

They are 15-20 right now...

Anyone who has them higher is basing it on historical evidence.

In the Big 12 they would be at best the third best team this year.

I am a massive homer that makes all other homers look like amateurs

FIFY

The sources I cited came out within the last week.

I think UK will probably end up in the NIT like they always do and TX will probably go to the E8 like they always do.

The Big 12 will probably send 7 teams to the E8 and 13 teams to the S16.

FIFY

The sources I cited came out within the last week.

I think UK will probably end up in the NIT like they always do and TX will probably go to the E8 like they always do.

The Big 12 will probably send 7 teams to the E8 and 13 teams to the S16.

But you do know you have different players.

There isn't any historical evidence

Last year according to KenPom Kentucky wasn't a Top 25 team

Let the season play out.
I would put a few SEC teams in that group.

But Kentucky usually rises to the top. Reason why I mentioned them

i’m quoting to see if your prediction for archie will come true.
What prediction? That it wasn't an awful hire? Okie, doke... 👍 ....I mean you called it an awful hire b/c you feel his run to the ELite 8 was aided by beating bad teams.

Not the case.

But hey----its your story.

But you do know you have different players.

There isn't any historical evidence

Last year according to KenPom Kentucky wasn't a Top 25 team

Let the season play out.
I would put a few SEC teams in that group.

But Kentucky usually rises to the top. Reason why I mentioned them

I'm not a UK fan. You do know they have different players every year?

Go look at the final AP poll for UK in years under Calipari. They finish top 10 like 75% of the time, top 15 maybe 85%? They've had maybe 2 sketch teams?

It's different players EVERY year pretty much, so that IS evidence.

To be clear I don't predict futures, the point is the lack of respect being shown to one of the top 5 programs in the last decade (and ever) by a fan of a program that hasn't done ANYTHING the last 5 years is what's raising the brow.

Again, I see TX looks to be going the right direction. Cool!

I hope TX is better than UK. I hope everybody is better than UK.

My point is fans of programs that have been a dumpster fire lately should have more respect for other programs, and not just UK, but maybe especially UK. That's my only point.

I hope y'all go undefeated. Hook 'em!

I'm not a UK fan. You do know they have different players every year?

Go look at the final AP poll for UK in years under Calipari. They finish top 10 like 75% of the time, top 15 maybe 85%? They've had maybe 2 sketch teams?

It's different players EVERY year pretty much, so that IS evidence.

To be clear I don't predict futures, the point is the lack of respect being shown to one of the top 5 programs in the last decade (and ever) by a fan of a program that hasn't done ANYTHING the last 5 years is what's raising the brow.

Again, I see TX looks to be going the right direction. Cool!

I hope TX is better than UK. I hope everybody is better than UK.

My point is fans of programs that have been a dumpster fire lately should have more respect for other programs, and not just UK, but maybe especially UK. That's my only point.

I hope y'all go undefeated. Hook 'em!

Has nothing to do with respect...

Has to do with the truth.

They weren't a Top 25 last year.
The respect is given to them in the AP poll.

We won the SEC, but weren't a top 25 team? Yeah Okay

You have a lot of shitty takes, but Texas being the hypothetical best team in the SEC is by far your worst.

Goes to show how high KenPom rated the SEC last year
Back to my original point...

Maybe the SEC will be better this year. But obviously last year the conference took a huge step back with Auburn, LSU and Tennessee
Florida couldn't fill the gap.

As a non biased fan. The SEC was even behind the PAC 12 last year

UK was 7th in both the AP and Coaches polls...

29th in Kenpom.

Overall, UK, at 25-6, with wins over then #1 MSU, #3 Louisville, @ #15 Texas Tech and #14 Auburn, certainly makes an argument for, "Top 25" team...JMO.

UK was 7th in both the AP and Coaches polls...

29th in Kenpom.

Overall, UK, at 25-6, with wins over then #1 MSU, #3 Louisville, @ #15 Texas Tech and #14 Auburn, certainly makes an argument for, "Top 25" team...JMO.

Humans and Computers understand things differently...

Like I said the respect factor for Kentucky comes in the polls.

My argument was about the issues with the SEC last year...
There is a chance things could change this year but you have a lot of unknowns.

Tennessee
Florida
Kentucky

All have the capabilities to be a Top 10 team according to the computers.

As of right now.
I wouldn't put then up there them with Baylor, Villanova, Gonzaga, Kansas, Virginia or Iowa.

Some people are triggered by the truth...

Would be much easier for a lot of teams in the B1G and Big 12 to compete in the SEC or PAC 12.

Taking nothing away from what Kentucky is doing but going into this season that looks like the truth

Things could change obviously

But playing Kansas and Baylor twice each and then WVU, Texas or Tech twice makes things tough.

What truths are you referencing, the upcoming season? That's the future there are no truths there yet. You are speculating, being a super duper homer, and showing other programs no respect. Just saying it comes off odd to read these type of things from a super duper homer fan of a decent but far from great basketball program like TX. But ok!

You're making the claim a program that hasn't learned how to win under Shaka in his first 5 years would win other leagues this year because you are super fan boy and they are improved - completely ignoring the culture Shaka has is a losing one and they would more than likely just find ways to lose to teams in other leagues because that's what average/mediocre programs do - they find ways to lose. And that's what TX has been under Shaka so far. I am merely playing along in your "Make Believe World" of things that aren't ever going to happen (TX won't be winning the PAC or SEC super duper homer sorry!)

But you guys are deep and I see a potential T20 team way to go TX! Or maybe even T10 if this team really gets after it!

Or, it could be the same ol' same ol' too... that wouldn't just stun anybody. Other than you I guess.

Sorry to interrupt your super duper fan boy takes I had time to kill this weekend. I hope you guys win it all! Hook 'em!

Last edited:
Reactions: Crums Bald Spot
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT