ADVERTISEMENT

Childish Gambino "This is America" Music Video---

Haven't seen it yet, but the wife said it was hysterical. I'll watch at some point, I suppose.

I assume that the conservatives are going to get all angry about something?

I don’t know who that guy is so what he says won’t affect me at all. I’ll try to watch it at some point after work.

I had no idea gun violence was so prevalent in today’s Italian-American communities
giphy.gif

I don’t know who that guy is so what he says won’t affect me at all. I’ll try to watch it at some point after work.

Its Donald Glover. You know... Community, Atlanta, The Martian, Spider-man, Lando in the new Solo movie? He also does music. REALLY funny dude, although I have no idea what this video is.

I'll give you a hint, it isn't meant to be funny.

I've heard several different "meanings" behind this. From it's an anti gun and racism still exists to he's showing the hypocrisy of people in the entertainment industry , etc....

Yep. Focus only on the entertainment and not the issues in the background. We love ya when you entertain us, but let's ignore everything else in your life as if entertainers/athletes only serve one function in society.

Yep. Focus only on the entertainment and not the issues in the background. We love ya when you entertain us, but let's ignore everything else in your life as if entertainers/athletes only serve one function in society.
This I agree with (even though I know you dont). I don't care about an actor or athlete's politics, being famous doesn't make you an expert on policy. If you want to express your views that's obviously fine but I don't have to listen just because you are famous. Every awards show this year has been unwatchable because of this crap.

This I agree with (even though I know you dont). I don't care about an actor or athlete's politics, being famous doesn't make you an expert on policy. If you want to express your views that's obviously fine but I don't have to listen just because you are famous. Every awards show this year has been unwatchable because of this crap.

I've never seen any actor or athlete say that you have to listen to them. You choose to, or you choose not to.

I've always found the bizarre pushback from people when famous people share their points of view or thoughts to be... well, bizarre. Being a basketball player or a country music star is literally one piece of a person. Anyone who gets mad at them for sharing thoughts beyond that are being FAR too sensitive.

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago

But actors and athletes, although they live in a different world, also function in our society, that has a lot of problems not being addressed by politicians. What's the point of being a celebrity if you don't use it for good? They are multidimensional human beings and I'm glad they can still see the empathy in situations far removed from their own.

Pretty heavy stuff in today's culture of America. A lot of people probably won't like it, but you can't deny the fact that it's accurate. Close your eyes and ears if you don't care.

Hm. Watched it. Didn't get it, sorry. I enjoyed the camera work though. Lemme read a bit and see what I am missing.

Hey, I’d consider sleeping the guest room with the door locked tonight if I were you

HAH! Okay, I think she said it was AMAZING, and said something ELSE was hysterical. My bad.

Yeah. That would have been pretty ****ed up:)

Reactions: nickris
Okay, reading a bit, and there are certainly a lot of layers there... some thought went into that. Figure it seems more like art than music, although obviously they are sort of the same. Still... not my thing.

I can't tell if its satire, racism or a message to black communities lol.... I got nothin from this video...

But actors and athletes, although they live in a different world, also function in our society, that has a lot of problems not being addressed by politicians. What's the point of being a celebrity if you don't use it for good? They are multidimensional human beings and I'm glad they can still see the empathy in situations far removed from their own.
We think nothing of celebrities endorsing commercial products for a check, but we hold it against them if they dare speak from their hearts. A charitable organization teaching 3-legged kittens to read is great, but raise a concern about racism and suddenly they should shut up and stick to dribbling and shooting?

Totally agree. That's why whenever I'm at a party and politics come up, I make sure to tell everyone in the conversation that being an accountant, lawyer, doctor, executive assistant, sales manager, contractor, etc. doesn't make you an expert on policy and that I don't have the listen to them.

Reactions: SNU0821
We think nothing of celebrities endorsing commercial products for a check, but we hold it against them if they dare speak from their hearts. A charitable organization teaching 3-legged kittens to read is great, but raise a concern about racism and suddenly they should shut up and stick to dribbling and shooting?

Ka-Boom!

I don't care about an actor or athlete's politics, being famous doesn't make you an expert on policy. If you want to express your views that's obviously fine but I don't have to listen just because you are famous. Every awards show this year has been unwatchable because of this crap.

This drives me insane. Restaurants do this too. They tell me all the famous people that have eaten there. I don't give a **** if Taylor Swift ate there. What the **** does she know about food? If you want to tell me that Gordon Ramsey ate there and gave it 2 thumbs up, then I might be impressed.

I've never seen any actor or athlete say that you have to listen to them. You choose to, or you choose not to.
This was covered in my post and you re-hashing it makes no sense, waste of 2 sentences.
I've always found the bizarre pushback from people when famous people share their points of view or thoughts to be... well, bizarre. Being a basketball player or a country music star is literally one piece of a person. Anyone who gets mad at them for sharing thoughts beyond that are being FAR too sensitive.
Share their political crap on their own time. If i tune into the oscars or country music awards or whatever the hell it isn't to hear a bunch of political bullshit or Dicaprio crying about global warming while flying all over the world in his private jet.

Good is subjective. Bringing awareness to certain issues is great, bashing the president non-stop however (IMO) isn't using their celebrity for good and is only galvanizing the other side.

That's about as political as i care to get on this board so i'm going to go ahead and bow out. not interested in the pissing matches that go on here, it's not like either side is listening anyway.

This was covered in my post and you re-hashing it makes no sense, waste of 2 sentences.

Share their political crap on their own time. If i tune into the oscars or country music awards or whatever the hell it isn't to hear a bunch of political bullshit or Dicaprio crying about global warming while flying all over the world in his private jet.

Good is subjective. Bringing awareness to certain issues is great, bashing the president non-stop however (IMO) isn't using their celebrity for good and is only galvanizing the other side.

That's about as political as i care to get on this board so i'm going to go ahead and bow out. not interested in the pissing matches that go on here, it's not like either side is listening anyway.

THE same President that called them "sons of bitches?" I can't understand why they hate him.

Also, that President is/was a celebrity. There's hope for other celebrities! Thanks Trump!

THE same President that called them "sons of bitches?" I can't understand why they hate him.
who's them? Meryl Streep? I believe you're talking about football players that kneel during the national anthem. a lot of people take offense to that and there are different ways to protest that wouldn't be so polarizing.

who's them? Meryl Streep? I believe you're talking about football players that kneel during the national anthem. a lot of people take offense to that and there are different ways to protest that wouldn't be so polarizing.

Great! Please tell them how to protest that won't offend everyone. We march, it's a problem. We boycott, it's a problem. We kneel, it's a problem. We sit, it's a problem. This tells me that protesting IS the problem, but tell us the correct way to protest where no one will be offended?

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
ADVERTISEMENT