ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball coaches on hot seat: Who is lacking job security and might need a good 2020-21

Won't know until 2021-2022
But those guys Neill Berry are bringing in look legit.

The issue like I have said before is when the NBA drafts their players from G League over CBB players
They can pretty much stop all the Top 25 players from playing CBB
Even if your guess turns to have some fruition, schools like UNC,Duke, KU, UK will continue to get top recruits.

It's not fair for UK fans, or fans in general, to compare Lucas at UK with Lucas at UT. Kentucky just offers more and of course he'll be better.

Even if your guess turns to have some fruition, schools like UNC,Duke, KU, UK will continue to get top recruits.

It's not fair for UK fans, or fans in general, to compare Lucas at UK with Lucas at UT. Kentucky just offers more and of course he'll be better.

He isn't even an assistant coach for Kentucky.

Calipari realized his strength

His strength isn't in a place that is important right now .
In regards to too recruits.
We will find out about that in next year's draft. When teams value G League development over CBB development.

That is what Rod Strickland is selling.
He is selling the fact that the G League will improve a player at a much higher rate than CBB

He isn't even an assistant coach for Kentucky.

Calipari realized his strength

His strength isn't in a place that is important right now .
In regards to too recruits.
We will find out about that in next year's draft. When teams value G League development over CBB development.

That is what Rod Strickland is selling.
He is selling the fact that the G League will improve a player at a much higher rate than CBB
Yes he is.

Even though Jai Lucas was initially hired for an off-the-court coaching role as a special recruiting analyst of sorts, that was never the case. Calipari said that starting in September Lucas, Joel Justus and Bruiser Flint operated as Kentucky’s on-court assistant coaches. Jon Robic is focused primarily on scheduling and scouting, while Tony Barbee has moved off the court to become Calipari’s associate head coach.

“Tony’s become the associate to the head coach. He’s like the co-head coach. I want him in my ear whether it be for practices, game, watching tape, our tape, the opponent’s tape, give me gameplans. Focus on that,” Calipari said.

“Joel and Jai, I want you on that recruiting ten hours a day.”

Calipari made the decision following Kenny Payne’s departure. The goal was to specialize roles to resemble an NBA coaching staff.

“It’s a staff of the future. It’s where this game is going. It’s how you can be effective for your young people. I want our staff to have great relationships and great time and communication with these players. You do it through practice where they respect your knowledge, in individual sessions where you’re spending time in the morning, in the evening, showing you care, listening because this is hard. These kids are chasing greatness and you know what, there’s a lot on their shoulders now with COVID and all this other stuff. But we’re here for our guys. We’re a players first program. That will never change.”

That the SEC is a good conference.../

Haven't seen an info to say that Texas would fear worst in the SEC than in the Big 12

Anyone who has an unbiased opinion would say that they would do much better in the SEC than in the Big 12...

You are speculating on how well TX would do in league they are not in. More than likely, you'd probably see some results against teams you are sure you are better than that you would not like if your fantasy was a reality. That is because there is a lot of parity in the game today and TX is not a juggernaut.

Fortunately for you, you don't have to live the fantasy as TX will never compete in the SEC.

So really, you are left to "dream on" and I'll stop ruining this wet dream of yours. After TX steamed the SEC they'd win the title every year, as long as they didn't have to go thru a B12 team.

You are speculating on how well TX would do in league they are not in. More than likely, you'd probably see some results against teams you are sure you are better than that you would not like if your fantasy was a reality. That is because there is a lot of parity in the game today and TX is not a juggernaut.

Fortunately for you, you don't have to live the fantasy as TX will never compete in the SEC.

So really, you are left to "dream on" and I'll stop ruining this wet dream of yours. After TX steamed the SEC they'd win the title every year, as long as they didn't have to go thru a B12 team.

So once again you are upset by the truth...

You can either admit the reality of the situation or dismiss it.

Pretty simple that one conference is superior than the other in basketball.
Been that way the last 7-8 years.

SEC has won one challenge against the Big 12.

That the SEC is a good conference...

Haven't seen an info to say that Texas would fear worst in the SEC than in the Big 12

Anyone who has an unbiased opinion would say that they would do much better in the SEC than in the Big 12...

Maybe they'd do better, but you didn't say that. You said Texas would have a good chance of winning the SEC. They wouldn't. Nobody other than you thinks so.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Maybe they'd do better, but you didn't say that. You said Texas would have a good chance of winning the SEC. They wouldn't. Nobody other than you thinks so.

This year they would.

I don't think they are going to make excuses if they don't win the Big 12 but the point is Shaka has set himself up to win big in a year that the Big 12 is as strong as it ever was as a basketball conference

So once again you are upset by the truth...

You can either admit the reality of the situation or dismiss it.

Pretty simple that one conference is superior than the other in basketball.
Been that way the last 7-8 years.

SEC has won one challenge against the Big 12.

I dont think we're having an argument.

You are excited about your team sort of.

We all have defense mechanisms and whining about a schedule is yours. You have chosen to kick around the SEC to make yourself feel better about having to play this tough schedule.

You are also pushing a straw man argument. You are quite sure of yourself with this argument nobody is having with you. Winning!!!!

I dont think we're having an argument.

You are excited about your team sort of.

We all have defense mechanisms and whining about a schedule is yours. You have chosen to kick around the SEC to make yourself feel better about having to play this tough schedule.

You are also pushing a straw man argument. You are quite sure of yourself with this argument nobody is having with you. Winning!!!!

No one is excited about anything...

If you cannot admit the fact that the SEC wasn't a great conference last year and good chance won't be this year...

That is on you. No one is kicking around anyone. Just the truth going into the season.

Humans and Computers understand things differently...
Sure they do....Like, ya know---being able to WATCH games. This same KenPom you are touting, had 16-15 Purdue ranked 24th.....It had 15-16 Minnesota rated 27th...

Do you think either of those teams were better than Kentucky?

I don't.

Computers are great. But they ain't perfect. A computer doesn't know or understand injuries. It doesn't understand a team that normally shoots 22% from three, having a 60% night, and beating someone they had no business beating...Computer doesn't understand foul trouble...It also doesn't understand how hard it is to win on the road....

I'll take "eyes" over IBM everytime.

Sure they do....Like, ya know---being able to WATCH games. This same KenPom you are touting, had 16-15 Purdue ranked 24th.....It had 15-16 Minnesota rated 27th...

Do you think either of those teams were better than Kentucky?

I don't.

Computers are great. But they ain't perfect. A computer doesn't know or understand injuries. It doesn't understand a team that normally shoots 22% from three, having a 60% night, and beating someone they had no business beating...Computer doesn't understand foul trouble...It also doesn't understand how hard it is to win on the road....

I'll take "eyes" over IBM everytime.

Records are a reflection of competition and not quality of the team

No one is excited about anything...

If you cannot admit the fact that the SEC wasn't a great conference last year and good chance won't be this year...

That is on you. No one is kicking around anyone. Just the truth going into the season.
I'm not sure what the SEC not being good, has to do with Kentucky(not being Top 25/good). A conference's strength has little if anything to do with how good a team is. The WCC isn't very good...Does that mean Gonzanga isn't good/Top 25?

I'm not sure what the SEC not being good, has to do with Kentucky(not being Top 25/good). A conference's strength has little if anything to do with how good a team is. The WCC isn't very good...Does that mean Gonzanga isn't good/Top 25?

This isn't a reflection of Kentucky...

Kentucky fans were offended about my point but like I said...

Shaka has positioned himself in the need of a big year in a year the Big 12 is as top heavy as ever.

He could find issues. As of right now would be hard for Texas to go better than 12-6 in conference play

we will see if Archie produces this year. No more “HES GOT CREANNNNNNNNNSSSS KIDS” it’s put or shut up.
So now ya wanna change things...I mean I agree its time for Miller to produce at a high level. No argument there. Even if lets say IU again goes 20-12....Thats troublesome to me. I think he has the pieces to compete for a Big 10 title. I really do. I think IU should be a Top tier team in the Big 10. Anything IMO lower than a 5th place finish, will be disappointing. But as said, if he goes 20-12, finishes 7th, or so, makes the NCAAT---wins a game, or loses in 1st round---I would be disappointed. Doesn't mean it was an awful hire....Just not the right hire.

FTR, I have tempered my "predicitions" with Indiana...Seems we are cursed. I dunno. BUT....Miller has some really good pieces, and experience. IMO, a lot on him this year.

Shaka has positioned himself in the need of a big year in a year the Big 12 is as top heavy as ever.

He could find issues. As of right now would be hard for Texas to go better than 12-6 in conference play
Are you Joe Biden? I mean your response is very Joe Biden like...YOu said UK wasn't a Top 25 team. Then you answer me with---"This isn't a reflection of Kentucky......Then go on some ramble about Smart and Texas.

Okay...

Are you Joe Biden? I mean your response is very Joe Biden like...YOu said UK wasn't a Top 25 team. Then you answer me with---"This isn't a reflection of Kentucky......Then go on some ramble about Smart and Texas.

Okay...

This is what the argument was originally about...

I said Texas would have a good chance of winning the SEC and PAC 12

Regarding Kentucky I don't know where they are this year

Last year according to KenPom they weren't a Top 25 team because the other SEC teams didn't give them enough to build a resume on...

You’re sounding like the fan of an also-ran.

If you’re confident in Shaka’s ability and believe that you have the best roster Texas has ever had (they’ve had some pretty damn talented teams), why are you already conceding 6 conference losses?

Baylor should be really good, but that’s only two games. KU should be good, but a somewhat run of the mill Self team. WV and Tech should be solid but most likely not powerhouses.

A really good team will win plenty of games in any league, and the losses to quality teams won’t hurt them much. Who cares if they lose 7 games instead of 4? Maybe they get a 2 seed instead of a 1?

You’re sounding like the fan of an also-ran.

If you’re confident in Shaka’s ability and believe that you have the best roster Texas has ever had (they’ve had some pretty damn talented teams), why are you already conceding 6 conference losses?

Baylor should be really good, but that’s only two games. KU should be good, but a somewhat run of the mill Self team. WV and Tech should be solid but most likely not powerhouses.

A really good team will win plenty of games in any league, and the losses to quality teams won’t hurt them much. Who cares if they lose 7 games instead of 4? Maybe they get a 2 seed instead of a 1?

I think without an obvious home court advantage things could change but winning on the road isn't an easy thing in the Big 12

If you say Texas splits against the Top 4
That is already 4 losses

So you also expect at least 1 if not 2 games against OU, FCU, OSU, ISU or K State

We will have see with them.
If they can make sure not to lose to the teams in the Bottom Half then you can see them having the ability to get better than a 4 or 5 seed.

This is what the argument was originally about...

I said Texas would have a good chance of winning the SEC and PAC 12

Regarding Kentucky I don't know where they are this year

Last year according to KenPom they weren't a Top 25 team because the other SEC teams didn't give them enough to build a resume on...
What about beating Michigan State, Texas Tech, Louisville and splitting with Top 20 Auburn? Thats two wins over two Top 10 KenPom teams...They had 7 wins overall vs KenPom top 50.

Also, why let a computer dictate what you think? I mean do you really believe 15-16 Minnesota was one of best 30 teams in CBB? Or that 16-15 Purdue was a Top 25 team?

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I think without an obvious home court advantage things could change but winning on the road isn't an easy thing in the Big 12

If you say Texas splits against the Top 4
That is already 4 losses

So you also expect at least 1 if not 2 games against OU, FCU, OSU, ISU or K State

We will have see with them.
If they can make sure not to lose to the teams in the Bottom Half then you can see them having the ability to get better than a 4 or 5 seed.

But I don’t see how it hinders his chances much in the tourney. Maybe it will drop him a seed lower than a comparable team in another league, but they’ll also be battle-tested.

But I don’t see how it hinders his chances much in the tourney. Maybe it will drop him a seed lower than a comparable team in another league, but they’ll also be battle-tested.

The entire thing is on him this year.
Unfortunately Coronavirus removed the chance for Shaka to help himself last year.

But this year it is Sweet 16 or bust.
Much easier ro get into the Sweet 16 as a 1 or 2 than a 4 or 5.

In regards to Tournament. Way too early to speak about that.

Going to find out where they are at in Asheville.
Indiana has a lot to prove
UNC is looking to rebound
Providence with Ed Cooley is always tough
Alabama is trying to get their basketball program on the right track

Shaka's confidence isn't always something to put faith in...

Reactions: ExitFlagger
What about beating Michigan State, Texas Tech, Louisville and splitting with Top 20 Auburn? Thats two wins over two Top 10 KenPom teams...They had 7 wins overall vs KenPom top 50.

Also, why let a computer dictate what you think? I mean do you really believe 15-16 Minnesota was one of best 30 teams in CBB? Or that 16-15 Purdue was a Top 25 team?

Computers have the ability to analyze all games to a certain level.

Humans cannot possibly watch all the basketball games.

Even the poll voters don't watch all the Power Conference games let alone all the games.

We can know 1 maybe 2 teams and then what we know outside of that lessens.

I don't even watch every single minute of the CBB season for Texas.

So now ya wanna change things...I mean I agree its time for Miller to produce at a high level. No argument there. Even if lets say IU again goes 20-12....Thats troublesome to me. I think he has the pieces to compete for a Big 10 title. I really do. I think IU should be a Top tier team in the Big 10. Anything IMO lower than a 5th place finish, will be disappointing. But as said, if he goes 20-12, finishes 7th, or so, makes the NCAAT---wins a game, or loses in 1st round---I would be disappointed. Doesn't mean it was an awful hire....Just not the right hire.

FTR, I have tempered my "predicitions" with Indiana...Seems we are cursed. I dunno. BUT....Miller has some really good pieces, and experience. IMO, a lot on him this year.
not changing anything my og point stands I quoted to see if your prediction for archie will come true a little bookmark if you will

Providence with Ed Cooley is always tough

They are 1-5 in the NCAAs under Coley. He's been there 9 years.

Providence has won 1 NCAA Tournament game since their last good run... in the year 1997. They won that game by 1 point.

Providence ain't always tough. They are a below average program in the current landscape. Coach is probably a real good guy, and good coach.

Could have something to do with the TX also ran status for the last 5 years. It's not easy to get out of that mindset, a program has gotta break through and sustain it for people to believe.

When they took the basketball away from Texas that morning in Kansas City I was fairly confident that Texas was about to knock off Tech again.

How the team was at the time. They said they knew what it took to win and when they didn't do those things they don't end up winning.

We will see if it carries over into this season...

What I do think is Shaka has the ability to be considered a top coach again

If you thought he was a Top 10 coach at one time...
Good chance you will think he is again.

From what a lot of people are saying it could be this April.

For him it matters how big he goes...
Metrics say they are at the very least a Sweet 16 team

Then what is left of his roster after the season.
Does he have someone to win with in 2021-2022 or is this just an one year thing

Shaka was a hot commodity. He did not hit the ground running @ TX.

Hot seat - Josh Pastner is that guy still losing on the reg @ Tech or are they just gonna ride that out?

Shaka made some mistakes...

Going back to Jai Lucas.
When Shaka took the job he wasn't totally familiar with all the players so he leaned on Jai
I don't know if Shaka blames Jai Lucas for giving him bad info but Lucas didn't believe in Carsen Edwards.
Lucas is a Houston guy who should have known who the best players out of the area. Edwards wanted to stay home and play for Texas.

Shaka apologized to him personally after Purdue came into Austin and almost won because of Edwards.

Shaka made some mistakes...

Going back to Jai Lucas.
When Shaka took the job he wasn't totally familiar with all the players so he leaned on Jai
I don't know if Shaka blames Jai Lucas for giving him bad info but Lucas didn't believe in Carsen Edwards.
Lucas is a Houston guy who should have known who the best players out of the area. Edwards wanted to stay home and play for Texas.

Shaka apologized to him personally after Purdue came into Austin and almost won because of Edwards.
Thought you may like this.

Being around Houston basketball I am familiar with the entire family
All great people.

His Dad could be a better tennis player than basketball player actually.

Jacob Young played at Yates and is the son of Micheal Young.
Some of you may not remember Young. But Young was running with Drexler and Hakeem at Houston with Guy Lewis

I could see why people would think Young was a better player.
But Edwards was just different. The issue with Edwards was that he was overshadowed by Fox on the AAU team.
I know Kentucky fans know how elite Fox was. I definitely know the Lonzo Ball knows that he isn't in Fox's league.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
ADVERTISEMENT