ADVERTISEMENT

Zags giving Saint Mary's everything they can handle

IF Tennessee wins the SECT, it’s going to be really tough not put them ahead of Gonzaga. They’d be 30-4, with one more loss than Gonzaga, no bad losses, a better SoS, and a head to head win on a neutral court.

I think the committee is going to refuse to drop Gonzaga a full line, and instead will make them the lowest 1 seed. I think as of today the seeding would be:

UVA
UK
UNC
Gonzaga
Duke

Now, whether or not the NCAA will actually have the balls to send Duke out West? We all know that's not going to happen. This could change a bit based on tourney results (if UNC inexplicably loses their first ACC game and Duke wins the ACC tourney, we can swap those two again; likewise, if neither win and UT wins the SEC they have a strong case for #4 overall)

A rival that has 11 total losses and plays in a shit conference. Zags won by 48 in Spokane and 14 at SMC 10 days ago. At the very least SMC just exposed Gonzaga at the worst possible time. A bad team holding the best offense in the nation under 50 is not a good look heading into Selection Sunday.
St. Mary's is a better college basketball team than Alabama and Seton Hall according to the metrics. Should losing to these two teams knock UK off the 1 line too right now?

Reactions: jhmossy
Now compare their conference SOS.
They can't control who they play and they dominated their conference.

If they were in the SEC or Big 12, they would have been the favorites to win those conferences to be honest.

The other part is that I think duke loses 1 game against that schedule. UNC 1 game or undefeated. Uk 1 or 2 games. Virginia 1 game. And I think that’s the other issue.
Are you joking? The Zags beat Duke H2H and UK lost by 34 to Duke so that's a loss right there.

You think UK would've beaten UNC @ Chapel Hill? Nope.

The game vs UT would be a tossup and there's a decent chance UK loses 1 of 2 games to a solid St. Mary's squad.

Throw in another crazy loss and I think UK has 4-5 losses vs Gonzaga's schedule this year.

If they were in the SEC or Big 12, they would have been the favorites to win those conferences to be honest.

I disagree. I do believe they will be a 1 seed but to say they would of been favorites to win both those leagues is a stretch, a major stretch.

I disagree. I do believe they will be a 1 seed but to say they would of been favorites to win both those leagues is a stretch, a major stretch.
That's an absolute fact considering Gonzaga would be favored by Vegas vs UK, Tennessee and Texas Tech on an neutral court right now.

Hence, they'd be favorites to win the SEC and Big 12 unless their schedule was really unbalanced or something.

That's an absolute fact considering Gonzaga would be favored by Vegas vs UK, Tennessee and Texas Tech on an neutral court right now.

Hence, they'd be favorites to win the SEC and Big 12 unless their schedule was really unbalanced or something.

That’s not a fact, it’s an opinion. When did numbers get confused with facts? So why have a NCAA tournament? Let’s go ahead and crown the favorite now.

St. Mary's is a better college basketball team than Alabama and Seton Hall according to the metrics. Should losing to these two teams knock UK off the 1 line too right now?
Indeed, they're also better than Syracuse "according to the metrics". All I know is UK didn't lose to Pepperdine or Harvard.

Indeed, they're also better than Syracuse "according to the metrics". All I know is UK didn't lose to Pepperdine or Harvard.
Agreed those are bad losses but that's why SMC needed to win last night to get into the NCAAT.

You can't really use the transitive property in CBB though because Seton Hall lost to teams like St. Louis and DePaul while Alabama has bad losses to Georgia State and Texas A&M.

Agreed those are bad losses but that's why SMC needed to win last night to get into the NCAAT.

You can't really use the transitive property in CBB though because Seton Hall lost to teams like St. Louis and DePaul while Alabama has bad losses to Georgia State and Texas A&M.
We have a winner. Winking That was my point though, SMC wasn't making the dance without getting the auto bid, hence what I would call a bad team. If you're not good enough to get an at-large bid, then you basically suck (I'm looking at you, Indiana). And when you are touted as the best offensive team in the country and a team like that beats you by double digits and holds you under 50 at a time of year when you should be clicking on all cylinders, that's a red flag.

I got a feeling they are gonna stay on the top line. I say that because the Zags are 30-3. A 30 win team on the 2 line? I doubt it but you never know what the committee will do.
Okay, but what would UNC's record be if they played Gonzaga's schedule?

I don't see a team in the WCC that could ever beat any of the other teams that are fighting for a 1 or 2 seed.

Why are we giving Gonzaga a separate set of criteria? If UK, Duke, UNC or UT played THAT schedule and went 1-2 against ranked teams, there is no way any of those schools would be in line for a 1 seed.

Heck, UK gets trashed for playing in the SEC, but we are supposed to give Gonzaga a pass because they can't do anything about the crappy conference they are in?

Compare their record, quad 1 record and SOS against any of the other teams in line for a 1 or a 2 and Gonzaga can't compare.

Reactions: AWilli6995

I don't see a team in the WCC that could ever beat any of the other teams that are fighting for a 1 or 2 seed.

Why are we giving Gonzaga a separate set of criteria? If UK, Duke, UNC or UT played THAT schedule and went 1-2 against ranked teams, there is no way any of those schools would be in line for a 1 seed.

Heck, UK gets trashed for playing in the SEC, but we are supposed to give Gonzaga a pass because they can't do anything about the crappy conference they are in?

Compare their record, quad 1 record and SOS against any of the other teams in line for a 1 or a 2 and Gonzaga can't compare.
Don't forget LSU. As scandalous as they may be, they're pretty good. Won't be worth a damn next year and whatever they do in the tourney will probably get vacated, but that's neither here nor there.

Reactions: kyjeff1
My point is simple....You are arguing SOS, conference schedule, etc, etc....And OK, fine. So I asked----What argument does IU have, then? Compare IU's resume to GU's. Not as a 1 seed, of course....But as an at-large. If Gonzaga's SOS is so underwhelming, and should keep thej m from a 1...then why cannot I not argue that IU, who has a much stronger SOS, plays in a much tougher conference, should be a god damn lock for the NCAAT.

In other words, if SOS is that meaningful, then why is IU sweating?

I'm gonna love it when GU rolls into Minny.....THis team is really good.
I think you bring up a great point. Compare IU's resume to Gonzaga's.

If IU was judged on the same criteria as Gonzaga, they would be a damn 5 seed and not on the bubble.

IU would crush it in the WCC and their flaws would never be exposed. Also, IU could have gone 1-2 in those three non conference games against ranked teams.

SOS matters more than they think. Heck, give any bubble team Gonzaga's schedule and the results would be similar. That's how bad the WCC is.

I'd be thrilled with a 7. Means IU won the BTT.:D

TBH, I think IU ends up as an 11 seed. And with the how this team is playing, I wouldn't mind that. Hell wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA puts IU in as a 12, and ships us to DaytonLaughing.

First things first, though...Gotta beat OSU, or its NIT.
If IU were to play Gonzaga, how do you see that game playing out?

From what I've seen, Langford would get anything he wanted.

They control their non con

UK lost to those teams in December/January on the road man. Gonzaga just lost to SMC in the middle of March on a neutral court.

If UK we're to play any of those teams right now they would destroy all three.

But nice try. Your hate for UK is almost scary.

Reactions: oldsports_

Losing to SMC in the middle of March after hiding in a bad conference, tells me and everyone that doesn't have an agenda, that the bolded part is just false.

Are you joking? The Zags beat Duke H2H and UK lost by 34 to Duke so that's a loss right there.

The game vs UT would be a tossup and there's a decent chance UK loses 1 of 2 games to a solid St. Mary's squad.

Throw in another crazy loss and I think UK has 4-5 losses vs Gonzaga's schedule this year.
So games in November and December now mean more than games in March?

How long are you going to talk about Duke beating UK by 34? It was the first game of the season, this is now March, Duke ain't beating UK by 34 right now. Let it go.

Also, why couldn't UK beat UNC in CH? UVA did and UK proved they were the better team at that time.

Maybe if you stop the UK hate agenda you have, you would debate with some common sense.

Do you think Gonzaga would beat a fully healthy Duke right now? I certainly don't.

I haven't posted or read this board in a LONG time, but keep being terrible.

Thumbs up buddy.

How long are you going to talk about Duke beating UK by 34? It was the first game of the season, this is now March, Duke ain't beating UK by 34 right now. Let it go.

This is a really good point. If UK beat Duke by 34 points instead, no one would ever bring that up in March.

True, it was a terrible loss but it only counts as one. Just not as bad as losing by 20 to a 16 seed.

I didn't say it was as bad. Still counts as one loss. Only one team wins the championship. It wasn't UVA. It also wasn't Kentucky. Congrats on that Sweet 16 banner.

I didn't say it was as bad. Still counts as one loss. Only one team wins the championship. It wasn't UVA. It also wasn't Kentucky. Congrats on that Sweet 16 banner.

Atleast we got to the Sweet 16.Winking

Virginia has a really good team this year, wouldn't be surprised to see them cut the nets down.

Atleast we got to the Sweet 16.Winking

Virginia has a really good team this year, wouldn't be surprised to see them cut the nets down.

Would I rather get to the Sweet 16 than lose by 20 in the 1st round to a 16 seed? Of course. Do I really care about Sweet 16s? Meh. And, as a Kentucky fan, I know you guys don't give a shit about that.

This is a really good point. If UK beat Duke by 34 points instead, no one would ever bring that up in March.
LOL, man, us UK fans would have a parade every weekend if UK won that game by 34 points.

But this isn't November and we would certainly admit that UK would not be able to do the same thing here in March.

Both teams are completely different right now, so using November results as if they happened yesterday is weak.

LOL, man, us UK fans would have a parade every weekend if UK won that game by 34 points.

But this isn't November and we would certainly admit that UK would not be able to do the same thing here in March.

Both teams are completely different right now, so using November results as if they happened yesterday is weak.

I get that. I was just pointing out that all fanbases do weak shit.

What aren't you following here? I was projecting how UK would do with Gonzaga's exact schedule here and its clear they would've lost to Duke in Maui given that's within a month of Duke demolishing the Cats by 34.

Fair?

Probably not as good, they'd have likely lost to Duke in Maui on a neutral court when we had Zion, UT game is a tossup, UK game is a tossup and they'd have likely dropped a game to St. Mary's and have had another bad loss sometime in the WCC like to the San Francisco Dons.

Their best case scenario is basically the 30-3 record that the Zags had this year.

Well you'd be wrong again, what else is new Jeff? RollLaugh

St. Mary's is #29 on KenPom and here are the teams that are worse than that which the other 1 and 2 seeds lost to:

Syracuse (#39) beat Duke
Illinois (#78) beat MSU
Indiana (#42) beat MSU x2
Seton (#59) beat Kentucky
Alabama (#60) beat Kentucky

I think you bring up a great point. Compare IU's resume to Gonzaga's.

If IU was judged on the same criteria as Gonzaga, they would be a damn 5 seed and not on the bubble.

IU would crush it in the WCC and their flaws would never be exposed. Also, IU could have gone 1-2 in those three non conference games against ranked teams.

SOS matters more than they think. Heck, give any bubble team Gonzaga's schedule and the results would be similar. That's how bad the WCC is.
What a moronic thing to say when IU has losses to teams like Rutgers and Northwestern which are equivalent to squads #2-4 in the WCC like San Francisco, BYU and San Diego.

UK lost to those teams in December/January on the road man. Gonzaga just lost to SMC in the middle of March on a neutral court.

If UK we're to play any of those teams right now they would destroy all three.
Right, so I'm supposed to believe UK would destroy St. Mary's on a neutral court now when they barely beat Arkansas at home (was down double digits at the half), got assraped @ UT by 19 on the road, barely beat Ole Miss at home and only pulled away vs Florida in the 2nd half.

So Duke gets a pass when they lose a couple games due to injuries, but IU don't? DerDuh
Duke has only lost to a title contender in UNC and a ranked VT team on the road without Zion. IU has 14 losses.

What point are you trying to make here?

What aren't you following here? I was projecting how UK would do with Gonzaga's exact schedule here and its clear they would've lost to Duke in Maui given that's within a month of Duke demolishing the Cats by 34.

Fair?
But you said yourself that transitive property doesn't work in cbb. You're the one not following your own argument.

Reactions: kyjeff1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT