ADVERTISEMENT

Zags giving Saint Mary's everything they can handle

Cat_Incognito

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2017
Team
Kentucky
I'm sure they'll end up cruising but good lord, if this is a 1 seed, cbb is down. 27-24 SM at the half.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I don’t think Gonzaga should be a 1 seed because of that schedule. They haven’t played another tourney team since December. But I do believe they are a legit top 3 team. Maybe even the best team in the country. It’s just really hard to say. They were missing a couple guys when they lost to Tennessee and UNC.

Either way, he’s hoping they lose tonight to make what should be an already obvious and easy decision for the committee to give the 1 seeds to Uk, duke, UNC and Virginia even more obvious.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
They leave teams out of the cfb playoff for weak schedules all the time. I don't see why Gonzaga should be given a 1 seed for going 1-2 against legit teams.

Is anyone rooting for Gonzaga?
giphy.gif

I don’t think Gonzaga should be a 1 seed because of that schedule. They haven’t played another tourney team since December. But I do believe they are a legit top 3 team. Maybe even the best team in the country. It’s just really hard to say. They were missing a couple guys when they lost to Tennessee and UNC.

Either way, he’s hoping they lose tonight to make what should be an already obvious and easy decision for the committee to give the 1 seeds to Uk, duke, UNC and Virginia even more obvious.
Past 4 seasons GU has:

Elite 8 as a 2 seed......Played up to seeding..

SW 16 as an 11 seed......Played well above their seed line.

National Runner-up as a 1-seed....Played up to seeding..

SW 16 as a 4 seed....Played accordingly.

I'd say Gonzaga the past four seasons have earned the benefit of the doubt. THis is a good program...A good team. MOF, a really good program, and a really good team. I dubbo know why this is so hard for people to accept.

Saint Mary's is playing for their tournament lives and they are not backing down one bit. It's been a fun game to watch. Gonzaga's shooting night has been rough as hell but the Gaels are executing their game plan to perfection so far. Add in the fact this is not just a conference tournament title game, but it's a huge conference rivalry game. I won't be overly shocked if St. Mary's pulls this game off.

Past 4 seasons GU has:

Elite 8 as a 2 seed......Played up to seeding..

SW 16 as an 11 seed......Played well above their seed line.

National Runner-up as a 1-seed....Played up to seeding..

SW 16 as a 4 seed....Played accordingly.

I'd say Gonzaga the past four seasons have earned the benefit of the doubt. THis is a good program...A good team. MOF, a really good program, and a really good team. I dubbo know why this is so hard for people to accept.

I’m not questioning how good they are. 1-2 against teams currently projected to make the tourney.

I think we all accept that they're good. What we don't accept is that they play in a creampuff league and their resume doesn't justify their seed, ever. At least, compared to others. They have 1 really good win this season and that is all.

Reactions: catman111
I think we all accept that they're good. What we don't accept is that they play in a creampuff league and their resume doesn't justify their seed, ever. At least, compared to others. They have 1 really good win this season and that is all.
What seed does it justify then? If they are good----they are good. And they are. You don't accidently beat Duke. MOF, aside from a late run, they throttled Duke. Led wire to wire I do believe. I mean Indiana has 6 Quad 1 wins.....More than Gonzaga. IU plays in a very good conference. Should they be seeded higher? They beat a good Washington team....Not their fault Arizona ended up being a dumpster fire...Lost by 3 to Tenn...Lost @ UNC....

I mean do you really think Gonzaga couldn't compete in the ACC, SEC, Big10, etc, etc..? Hell its not a stretch to think they not only would compete, but could win those leagues. They are really good.

I’m not questioning how good they are. 1-2 against teams currently projected to make the tourney.
I don't see why this is so important. They were a preseason Top 5 team. What have they done to say otherwise(Not Top 5)? Do you not think this team could compete in the ACC, SEC, Big 10? I do. MOF, they could not only compete, but win the damn things.

How many “really good wins” does UK have? Or UVA?

I don't see why this is so important. They were a preseason Top 5 team. What have they done to say otherwise(Not Top 5)? Do you not think this team could compete in the ACC, SEC, Big 10? I do. MOF, they could not only compete, but win the damn things.

You don’t think schedule strength should matter?

What seed does it justify then? If they are good----they are good. And they are. You don't accidently beat Duke. MOF, aside from a late run, they throttled Duke. Led wire to wire I do believe. I mean Indiana has 6 Quad 1 wins.....More than Gonzaga. IU plays in a very good conference. Should they be seeded higher? They beat a good Washington team....Not their fault Arizona ended up being a dumpster fire...Lost by 3 to Tenn...Lost @ UNC....

I mean do you really think Gonzaga couldn't compete in the ACC, SEC, Big10, etc, etc..? Hell its not a stretch to think they not only would compete, but could win those leagues. They are really good.
Then what's to keep some other basketball schools from joining a shit conference, racking up wins against the sisters of the poor, and collecting a 1 seed every March? Sounds like a good plan.

Look, they're a good team, but it's not fair to everyone else. They need to load up their non con schedule or compete for a 4 seed, tops.

This loss should knock them off the 1 seed line. When you play a schedule like that, your margin for error is nill.

Reactions: checkeredneyland
Lol a lot of people on twitter are suggesting bid collusion

Damn right boys and girls! Rejoice blueblood nation as the zags don’t get their reward for playing shit teams all year long. They will probably lose in the second round

You don’t think schedule strength should matter?
Sure it should...But it shouldn't be the end to all means...I mean its not like they started #25, and worked their way up. They were a consensus Top 4/5 team, all year. Preseason Top 4/5. Final Four favorites. Some picked them to win it all.

Thats my point. You have said-----"I know they are good.". Well, ok.....Do you need validation? If you are not arguing they are good....Then why are you arguing they are not #1 seed good? Because they've played a weak schedule? So. Played the same schedule two years ago, when they damn near won the National title.

SOS is important. But with a team like Gonzaga, I don't think its as important.

Double digit quad 1 wins. 9 more than Gonzaga. Any more questions?
Sure....IU has 6 Quad 1 wins.....6 Top 40 wins.....4 Top 20 wins....All more than GOnzaga. So, I mean, does IU have an argument? I mean, c'mon, now. THis is the entire premise of your argument.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT