ADVERTISEMENT

Zags giving Saint Mary's everything they can handle

I think Gonzaga could be as good as anybody, but they may have gotten exposed last night.

It's just awfully late in the year to be getting smoked by an NIT team on a neutral court at full strength.
I don't think they got exposed. I just think they shot the ball really, really bad. Missed a ton of open, looks. Especially Norvall.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Meh, I guess. Travis just isn't as nimble defensively IMO. I've never seen him as a mobilizer type on defense. I think Richrds and EJ make UK a ton more athletic on defense; eapecially on the perimeter. I think vs a team like Duke, or a UNC, that really helps. Even a tad with Tenn.

Zero doubt Reid is a big piece though.
Richards and EJ make more mistakes on offense than any player in the Cal era. They give up 3 times as many points as they get.

That doesn't happen with Travis on the floor.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
We had Zion when we lost to Syracuse but lost Tre Jones early in the game.

VT and Carolina are excellent teams and Duke would've arguably lost all those games with Zion as well.

I wish we got to play Ole Miss and Arkansas at home like UK did instead of having to face Cuse in the Carrier Dome, UNC x2 and VT on the road.
Arkansas significantly better than Wake Forest.
Virginia Tech slightly better than Ole Miss

Call all that an overall wash.

Tennessee/North Carolina wash. That leaves what....Florida v Syracuse? Id say Syracuse is better this year, I honestly may have watched them twice this year I don't know. Florida is very inconsistent this year.

Anyway, the point is the "disparity" you see is bunk. And even if you want to break that down to argue it further....its irrelevant because when we played those teams on both of our schedules is what it is. The ACC has 6 teams under .500. The SEC only 4. So what about the stretch where you were playing Pitt, BC, Miami, ND etc. Woe is me!!!! Murderers row! Laughing

Cuse is much better team than those two squads and when one of your key players gets injured in game, its tough for the squad to emotionally get it together to compete.

All of losses besides Gonzaga for Duke were due to awful circumstances.

Hopefully we have better luck going forward and America will get to see the juggernaut that waxed UK by 34, hammered Texas Tech by double digits and beat UVA on the road by 10 again. :D
. I
Know Be careful What you wish for but I hope MD plays Duke in the sweet 16 in DC!!

Wichita was given a 10 seed with 30 wins in 2017. I saw someone saying earlier they couldn’t see Gonzaga getting anything lower than a 3 with 30 wins.

Wichita was given a 10 seed with 30 wins in 2017. I saw someone saying earlier they couldn’t see Gonzaga getting anything lower than a 3 with 30 wins.

Apples to Oranges. They lost to the 2 good non conf teams they played (Louisville and MSU), then played a crap schedule all the way through.

Reactions: Montana81
Synergy? I think ?

So Cam has 18 charges on the season. 25% of his fouls are charges. 22% of his turnovers are charges. He has two games, Texas Tech and Wake Forest, where he picked up three charges.

EDIT: @dukedevilz please fact check this.

Last edited:
Most people forget that Gonzaga was beating Tennessee 64-55 with 6 minutes left. UT caught serious fire down the stretch, making 7 of their final 9 shots, including 5 of 6 from 3. I felt like that was a game that they probably should have won... But like I've said in times past, I've never felt comfortable with Gonzaga's defense. They're capable of winning the whole thing, but not sure I completely trust them.

Saint Mary's is now rated higher than Marquette. I remember watching them play LSU earlier in the season, and they were tough. Took LSU down to the wire, losing by 4.

...As far as Reddish, Idk. I swear he has one of the lowest percentages of points per possession when driving down the lane. It seems like he either turns the ball over, or it's a charge. Unlike RJ and Zion, though, he doesn't seem to get the same kind of preferential treatment - drives me batty. It's been really, really odd, to be honest.

Reactions: sgrooms
Blind Resumes: Team A: 4-3 against Quad1, 26-0 otherwise. Team B: 2-6 against Quad1, 24-0 otherwise. Both lost in conference tournament final.

Team A is Gonzaga who may get a No. 1 seed and Team B is UNC Greensboro who may get left out. ESPN's Strength of Record (SOR) has the two ranked 8th and 31st respectively.

- Paul Sabin, ESPN Analytics

Blind Resumes: Team A: 4-3 against Quad1, 26-0 otherwise. Team B: 2-6 against Quad1, 24-0 otherwise. Both lost in conference tournament final.

Team A is Gonzaga who may get a No. 1 seed and Team B is UNC Greensboro who may get left out. ESPN's Strength of Record (SOR) has the two ranked 8th and 31st respectively.

- Paul Sabin, ESPN Analytics

Saw this earlier. Obviously one resume is better, it's just crazy one will get a 1 seed and one left out completely.

So Cam has 18 charges on the season. 25% of his fouls are charges. 22% of his turnovers are charges. He has two games, Texas Tech and Wake Forest, where he picked up three charges.

EDIT: @dukedevilz please fact check this.
Damn....You find this @ Synergy?

Damn....You find this @ Synergy?

I can't find a simple charge statistic on there. It's broken down by isolation drives to the right, isolation drives to the left, pick and rolls to the right, etc. I've noticed that some of them have overlap, though. So, I actually went game by game and counted them up manually.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT