ADVERTISEMENT

Zags giving Saint Mary's everything they can handle

Sure it should...But it shouldn't be the end to all means...I mean its not like they started #25, and worked their way up. They were a consensus Top 4/5 team, all year. Preseason Top 4/5. Final Four favorites. Some picked them to win it all.

Thats my point. You have said-----"I know they are good.". Well, ok.....Do you need validation? If you are not arguing they are good....Then why are you arguing they are not #1 seed good? Because they've played a weak schedule? So. Played the same schedule two years ago, when they damn near won the National title.

SOS is important. But with a team like Gonzaga, I don't think its as important.

I don’t think seed is just about being good. A better seed is a reward for what you’ve done. And who you’ve played and beaten is a big part of that.

FWIW, I think there’s an good argument that it should just be about how good you are as well.

The other part is that I think duke loses 1 game against that schedule. UNC 1 game or undefeated. Uk 1 or 2 games. Virginia 1 game. And I think that’s the other issue.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
Sure....IU has 6 Quad 1 wins.....6 Top 40 wins.....4 Top 20 wins....All more than GOnzaga. So, I mean, does IU have an argument? I mean, c'mon, now. THis is the entire premise of your argument.
No, it's not. You're being obtuse. My entire argument is that they've played an extremely weak schedule and have 1 solid win the entire season.

Quit bringing up IU, as if that's even a valid comparison. IU has like 27 losses.

Double digit quad 1 wins. 9 more than Gonzaga. Any more questions?

So that’s what you’re considering a “really good” win? A win over potentially the number 74 team in NET?

I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass about Gonzaga. I was trying to get a better understanding of what you were counting as a really good win. I was thinking over teams ranked in the top 12 or so.

Then what's to keep some other basketball schools from joining a shit conference, racking up wins against the sisters of the poor, and collecting a 1 seed every March? Sounds like a good plan.

Look, they're a good team, but it's not fair to everyone else. They need to load up their non con schedule or compete for a 4 seed, tops.

Isn’t that what they do? Load up in their non-con? Seems like they play a very tough non-con schedule most years.

Sure....IU has 6 Quad 1 wins.....6 Top 40 wins.....4 Top 20 wins....All more than GOnzaga. So, I mean, does IU have an argument? I mean, c'mon, now. THis is the entire premise of your argument.
Borden, with all these teams that should of won their conference tournament losing, are you getting worried Indiana may not make it?

Eh, it was their rival. Rivals are tough. If UNC doesn't beat Duke Friday (if they meet) it shouldn't be held against them too much. It is a rivalry game in a precursor tournament.

Ehh, I was exaggerating. We do have the opportunity to potentially pick up 3 more this weekend though. Lol

As an aside (nothing against Kentucky at all), I really don’t think beating a team like Arkansas, Providence, or Colorado should be a quad 1 win, even on the road. 75 seems like too much. Maybe top 50 on the road.

Meanwhile, in Iowa...
giphy.gif

No, it's not. You're being obtuse. My entire argument is that they've played an extremely weak schedule and have 1 solid win the entire season.

Quit bringing up IU, as if that's even a valid comparison. IU has like 27 losses.
HUh? Wait, now....You are discarding Gonzaga because of their schedule, SOS, conference, etc, et...... How is bring up IU not a valid comparison? What, you don't think IU could have won the WCC? YOu don't think IU having 14 losses had anything to do with playing in the Big 10? You think IU would have 14 losses if they were in the WCC? Of course its valid. You are chastising GU 30 wins b/c of their schedule. So how is me using IU not valid? Indiana's SOS blows Gonzaga's out of the water. So which is it???? Does SOS matter, or not?

So Gonzaga as a 4 seed?
And then we'd get to hear how they were under seeded when they beat a 1 seed in the SW 16. And God forbid the NCAA put a 30-3, GU in UK's bracket----As a 4 seed.....Jesus. Some of these same UK fans arguing against them right now, would have a God damn stroke.

HUh? Wait, now....You are discarding Gonzaga because of their schedule, SOS, conference, etc, et...... How is bring up IU not a valid comparison? What, you don't think IU could have won the WCC? YOu don't think IU having 14 losses had anything to do with playing in the Big 10? You think IU would have 14 losses if they were in the WCC? Of course its valid. You are chastising GU 30 wins b/c of their schedule. So how is me using IU not valid? Indiana's SOS blows Gonzaga's out of the water. So which is it???? Does SOS matter, or not?
Ima be honest .. I don't understand what your argument is. Pretty much everyone agrees Gonzaga doesn't have the resume to be a 1 seed. That's my last response, because it's clear you want to argue.

Oh and I agree with Wolken.

Reactions: heelpharm
I'm not sure if they deserve a 1 seed or not but if Wolken things they don't then they probably do.

Ima be honest .. I don't understand what your argument is. Pretty much everyone agrees Gonzaga doesn't have the resume to be a 1 seed. That's my last response, because it's clear you want to argue.

Oh and I agree with Wolken.
My point is simple....You are arguing SOS, conference schedule, etc, etc....And OK, fine. So I asked----What argument does IU have, then? Compare IU's resume to GU's. Not as a 1 seed, of course....But as an at-large. If Gonzaga's SOS is so underwhelming, and should keep thej m from a 1...then why cannot I not argue that IU, who has a much stronger SOS, plays in a much tougher conference, should be a god damn lock for the NCAAT.

In other words, if SOS is that meaningful, then why is IU sweating?

I'm gonna love it when GU rolls into Minny.....THis team is really good.

I actually think a 2 seed is generous. 4-3 quad 1. There are at least 8 teams with a better quad 1 record.

Just got back from the Gonzaga/Saint Mary's game. Very uninspiring performance. I've been building the Zags up a little too much, but I still think they're capable of a very deep run. Not sure how the highest rated offense in the country managed to shoot just 37% against a Saint Mary's team which has an okay defense, but it's certainly not anything elite.

Got within 8 feet of Sean Farnham on the baseline. He's a lot bigger than I would have anticipated. Got a good 3-4 inches one me.

Reactions: sgrooms
Funny thing is, Gonzaga actually beat Saint Mary's by 48 points earlier in the season. Idk, maybe the Zags are better off with Petrusev in the lineup instead of Tillie?

I actually think a 2 seed is generous. 4-3 quad 1. There are at least 8 teams with a better quad 1 record.
Where would you seed a team that is 30-3, and beat a full, 100% Duke team? You say a 2 is generous. Ok. So lets say a 4. Let me ask you this.....How do you think the fan base of a 1 seed would react seeing a 4 seed Gonzaga in their bracket? Even better, what would your reaction be if they were a 4 in UK's bracket?

I mean its crazy. Al I hear is how good they are....Final Four contedners.....Nationl Title contenders. But no way are they a 1-seed.

Do what? Its like saying a horse is a Kentucky Derby winning type of horse. But no way is it a Top 4 horse. That's just stupid, flawed logic.

Don’t worry Borden, your 10 seed awaits you

Don’t worry Borden, your 10 seed awaits you
I'd be thrilled with a 7. Means IU won the BTT.:D

TBH, I think IU ends up as an 11 seed. And with the how this team is playing, I wouldn't mind that. Hell wouldn't surprise me if the NCAA puts IU in as a 12, and ships us to DaytonLaughing.

First things first, though...Gotta beat OSU, or its NIT.

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
But he leaves out where they played Tenn, Duke, North Carolina, Arizona and Pac-12 Champ Washington. Not GU's fault Zona ended up sucking ass. I mean, who else played Duke, Tenn and UNC, out of conference? That is three, Top 4'ish teams. I get they went 1-2 vs those 3. But lets not act as if they were totally out classed. Fvck they never trailed versus Duke....Lost to Tenn by 3. Lost at UNC by 13.

This shit is comical...

Exactly what? What----that they lost @ UNC? Same place Duke went to and lost? Or that they lost to UT, by 3, on a neutral floor? Same UT team just went 15-3 in the SEC? Or how about the "one" win------ over Duke. A game they never trailed in. Led by as many as what---17? Same Duke that beat UK by 600. They also beat Arizona....beat a 16-2, Pac-12 champ Washington.

Keep on sleeping on them. And then watch as they roll into the Elite 8. THis is a really good team, that simply had a really, really bad night. It happens.

No, it's not. You're being obtuse. My entire argument is that they've played an extremely weak schedule and have 1 solid win the entire season..
Kentucky went 2-2 vs Duke, UNC and Tenn.

Gonzaga went 1-2 vs that same schedule.

Difference's? They played @ UNC.....UK played UNC on a neutral site. Gonzaga didn't get a return home game vs UT as well.

Oh, and they didn't lose to Duke by 70 either.Laughing

I think it’s pretty clear that the teams in the top 5 other than Gonzaga have been challenged week in and week out and have gotten better as the season has gone on(outside of the injuries). Gonzaga has been playing a bunch of D2 teams and it hasn’t prepared them worth a damn. That’s the price you pay for playing in a shit conference.

Where would you seed a team that is 30-3, and beat a full, 100% Duke team? You say a 2 is generous. Ok. So lets say a 4. Let me ask you this.....How do you think the fan base of a 1 seed would react seeing a 4 seed Gonzaga in their bracket? Even better, what would your reaction be if they were a 4 in UK's bracket?

I mean its crazy. Al I hear is how good they are....Final Four contedners.....Nationl Title contenders. But no way are they a 1-seed.

Do what? Its like saying a horse is a Kentucky Derby winning type of horse. But no way is it a Top 4 horse. That's just stupid, flawed logic.

The first part is a good point. And why I said I think there’s a case for seeding teams on how good they are versus who they’ve played and beaten. But I think a lot of teams would look a lot better with Gonzaga’s schedule. And at the end of it all the odds of winning it are much better as a 1 seed than a 2. Actually there’s a better chance of a 1 seed winning it than all other seeds combined.

Eh, it was their rival. Rivals are tough. If UNC doesn't beat Duke Friday (if they meet) it shouldn't be held against them too much. It is a rivalry game in a precursor tournament.
A rival that has 11 total losses and plays in a shit conference. Zags won by 48 in Spokane and 14 at SMC 10 days ago. At the very least SMC just exposed Gonzaga at the worst possible time. A bad team holding the best offense in the nation under 50 is not a good look heading into Selection Sunday.

Kentucky went 2-2 vs Duke, UNC and Tenn.

Gonzaga went 1-2 vs that same schedule.

Difference's? They played @ UNC.....UK played UNC on a neutral site. Gonzaga didn't get a return home game vs UT as well.

Oh, and they didn't lose to Duke by 70 either.Laughing
Now compare their conference SOS.

That was a bad loss by the Zags. Completely dominated. And it's late in the season. For those reasons, I think there's 4 teams better and should be seeded better than the Zags.... But there's still basketball to be played by the others. So unless some of the other contenders fall flat on on their faces like the Zags, Zags will be a 2 or should be at this point. Due to strength of their schedule and how they were utterly dominated last night. I didn't mind seeing them as a 1, until after last night.

ADVERTISEMENT