ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prepare for another statement:

Games will be Pay per View.

You watch-----Its coming next.

What student in their right mind would go home on vacation to a highly infected area......moreso what parent would allow them to come back into danger? As a student I would be all in for cancelled classes....until I get the bill for my student loans

You mean aside from half the posters in this thread?

Prepare for another statement:

Games will be Pay per View.

You watch-----Its coming next.

What decision yet, has? Also you telling me the NCAA is just gonna walk away from $933million dollars; Its what they pulled in last year.

Borden, I respect your move to have the worst takes in this thread, but I'm afraid that you were already hopelessly trailing several others. Like Kansas in 2012, you just ran out of time.

Good job on spreading out the impact, though, just like we should be doing w/r/t COVID-19.

The NCAA still gets paid by CBS, correct? That advertising money will still be plentiful as long as they play. We can still watch it.
Sure they do. But I think its certain that advertising will be lower...Ratings as well. Money lost due to empty arena's.Merchandising......They are gonna lose a shit ton of $$.

You mean aside from half the posters in this thread?

Borden, I respect your move to have the worst takes in this thread, but I'm afraid that you were already hopelessly trailing several others. Like Kansas in 2012, you just ran out of time.

Good job on spreading out the impact, though, just like we should be doing w/r/t COVID-19.
Ok?

Sure they do. But I think its certain that advertising will be lower...Ratings as well. Money lost due to empty arena's.Merchandising......They are gonna lose a shit ton of $$.
So you think the next plan is to put it on PPV? Haha. I don’t understand why that would be anybody’s idea.

Unless you’re trolling...

Does any poster here agree with this NCAA decision?

As of right now, sure, why not.

At the end of the day, it's basketball games. Games. Where teenagers throw an orange ball in a hoop.

We are officially into a global pandemic, and one which is a really big threat to a lot of Americans.

Seems to me that it makes sense to just say "Hey, watch the games on TV... sorry for the people who made plans, but every health official on earth is saying we need to be more careful" and to make sure thousands fewer Americans die, than to insist we all have to have yelling people on the TV when we watch basketball games.

So you think the next plan is to put it on PPV? Haha. I don’t understand why that would be anybody’s idea.

Unless you’re trolling...
Not trolling...Being sarcastic/hyperbolish a bit. I do not believe this is, or will be an option. But then again,its the NCAA. They are going to lose hundreds of millions. So it wouldn't shock if they did so. I mean they did move the games from CBS-----a free airwave, so to speak. So who knows.

Borden, I am thinking you aren't getting how finances for this works.

They might lose some money, but all of those deals happen no matter what. And ratings will be HIGHER, because nobody will be at the game.

Local economies might get hurt (no hotel stays or restaurants) and you will lose the gate and concessions, but that's not big money, compared to the TV deals and advertising.

It already IS Pay Per View; check your cable bill;)

Not trolling...Being sarcastic/hyperbolish a bit. I do not believe this is, or will be an option. But then again,its the NCAA. They are going to lose hundreds of millions. So it wouldn't shock if they did so. I mean they did move the games from CBS-----a free airwave, so to speak. So who knows.
It won’t be as bad as you think it will be. The deals made are already in place. Like Dude said the worst hit will mainly be local economies. The NCAA will be ok.

giphy.gif

+
u-g-F3Q7CU0.jpg

Games back to normal, folks..

Looks like I underestimated you, Borden, although technically I was correct because I said "this thread" and you went out and made a terrible post in a brand new thread. Still, your overall contributions to the Rivals College Basketball Board COVID-19 discussion have been noted. We will watch your career with great interest.

Looks like I underestimated you, Borden, although technically I was correct because I said "this thread" and you went out and made a terrible post in a brand new thread. Still, your overall contributions to the Rivals College Basketball Board COVID-19 discussion have been noted. We will watch your career with great interest.
I, for one, have always loved Borden’s opinions on anything.

I especially love it when he calls us “folks”.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think you left your sense of humor at the nursery. Give'm a call, maybe they still have it...

Borden, I am thinking you aren't getting how finances for this works.

They might lose some money, but all of those deals happen no matter what. And ratings will be HIGHER, because nobody will be at the game.

Local economies might get hurt (no hotel stays or restaurants) and you will lose the gate and concessions, but that's not big money, compared to the TV deals and advertising.

It already IS Pay Per View; check your cable bill;)
Agree. I kinda of put the cart before the horse on this one....

Whats your, EXPERT take on Covid-19? Curious...Are you employed by the CDC? Are you a doctor? Work with infectious diseases? If you do, then please, educate the rest of us. If not----then,well, STFU. You know no more than I do. Here is what I know:

Currently, there are 115, 000 cases world wide.....Currently, there are 7.7 billion people on the planet. The first case date reported was in December, of 2019. On Jan 3oth, the International Health Regulations Committee declared the outbreak a "public health emergency of international concern.." So, in 4 months this disease has went from ONE case, to 115, 000----Or roughly, a flu season. A vaccine is said to be anywhere from 12-18 months away---Or well, possibly even now. WHo knows.

So, that would mean at the current rate that if no vaccine was made available, lets say for 12 months, that the disease would spread to roughly----what, 400, 000 people? So 400, 000 of 7.7 billion people would be infected...

Now, this isn't an exact----and absolute. Just going by how the disease has progressed since the first case was reported. Who knows----it could as the flu, and slow rapidly due to warmer temps---Or it could be expedited by the warmer weather. Who knows? I don't. Do you?

In other words, if 400,000 people of 7 billion become infected---would you call that a cause for labeling somehting a pandemic? Keep in mind, so far there have a reported , 119, 000, 000 cases of the flu this year. I mean----ONE HUNDRED and NINETEEN MILLION. I mean I'm not a match scholar---But that sure seems closer to a pandemic than 400,000. That's just me.

Whats your, EXPERT take on Covid-19? Curious...Are you employed by the CDC? Are you a doctor? Work with infectious diseases? If you do, then please, educate the rest of us. If not----then,well, STFU. You know no more than I do. Here is what I know:

Currently, there are 115, 000 cases world wide.....Currently, there are 7.7 billion people on the planet. The first case date reported was in December, of 2019. On Jan 3oth, the International Health Regulations Committee declared the outbreak a "public health emergency of international concern.." So, in 4 months this disease has went from ONE case, to 115, 000----Or roughly, a flu season. A vaccine is said to be anywhere from 12-18 months away---Or well, possibly even now. WHo knows.

So, that would mean at the current rate that if no vaccine was made available, lets say for 12 months, that the disease would spread to roughly----what, 400, 000 people? So 400, 000 of 7.7 billion people would be infected...

Now, this isn't an exact----and absolute. Just going by how the disease has progressed since the first case was reported. Who knows----it could as the flu, and slow rapidly due to warmer temps---Or it could be expedited by the warmer weather. Who knows? I don't. Do you?

In other words, if 400,000 people of 7 billion become infected---would you call that a cause for labeling somehting a pandemic? Keep in mind, so far there have a reported , 119, 000, 000 cases of the flu this year. I mean----ONE HUNDRED and NINETEEN MILLION. I mean I'm not a match scholar---But that sure seems closer to a pandemic than 400,000. That's just me.
You really don't know what you are talking about.

There is a reason they are expecting up 60-80% infection of the world in every scenario. It is more contagious than the flu, and it can spread asymptomatically.

It has a r0 of somewhere between 3-6. It's CFR is somewhere between 1-3.5%. The Flu CFR is .1%. You are comparing infection numbers of an entrenched flu against the infantcy of a new virus.

We have a vaccine for the flu. We do not for the covid-19. They are trying to stall it's spread until they do have a vaccine.

It won't continue to spread at it's current rate if you don't prevent its spread. It will spread exponentially because it is so contagious and hospitals will have surging they can't deal with, which will cause deaths from this virus and other hospital necessary issues that there are no beds for. The medical staff will be overwhelmed and likely contract it themselves making the overwhelming situation become more and more so.

And, reinfection seems possible with this virus. That also assumes it doesn't mutate to an even deadlier form.

Anyone acting like the flu is anywhere on the same level is spreading misinformation and can become an issue in causing further spread of the virus. Take it seriously. Listen to the experts who literally whose jobs it is to do this kind of thing. (You want people to listen to you about refereeing because you are one but want to discount professionals in their field also.)

You really don't know what you are talking about.

There is a reason they are expecting up 60-80% infection of the world in every scenario. It is more contagious than the flu, and it can spread asymptomatically.

It has a r0 of somewhere between 3-6. It's CFR is somewhere between 1-3.5%. The Flu CFR is .1%. You are comparing infection numbers of an entrenched flu against the infantcy of a new virus.

We have a vaccine for the flu. We do not for the covid-19. They are trying to stall it's spread until they do have a vaccine.

It won't continue to spread at it's current rate if you don't prevent its spread. It will spread exponentially because it is so contagious and hospitals will have surging they can't deal with, which will cause deaths from this virus and other hospital necessary issues that there are no beds for. The medical staff will be overwhelmed and likely contract it themselves making the overwhelming situation become more and more so.

And, reinfection seems possible with this virus. That also assumes it doesn't mutate to an even deadlier form.

Anyone acting like the flu is anywhere on the same level is spreading misinformation and can become an issue in causing further spread of the virus. Take it seriously. Listen to the experts who literally whose jobs it is to do this kind of thing. (You want people to listen to you about refereeing because you are one but want to discount professionals in their field also.)
Fair enough...But I haven't discounted anyone no more than EXPERTS have themselves. I mean there are experts in this very field, that believe this is a huge overblown issue.

As for the disease spreading exponentially----But it hasn't----Or has it? Its hard to tell.

Honest question though why wasn’t this the response for the swine or avian flu?

I could be wrong... werent they contained more quickly, and harder to spread? I remember looking at a chart at the way they spread compared to this one, and where they started to level off this one spiked off the charts.

A town maybe twenty minutes from here is on some sort of lockdown. Sucks, because my wife and I were going to a BnB in that area next weekend for our first weekend away in a long, long time. Gonna delay, because she just didn’t want to be out to dinner being nervous, you know?

Fair enough...But I haven't discounted anyone no more than EXPERTS have themselves. I mean there are experts in this very field, that believe this is a huge overblown issue.

As for the disease spreading exponentially----But it hasn't----Or has it? Its hard to tell.
There are graphs to show it spread exponentially and was only doused in China by full lock downs. Italy and Iran are going up exponentially right now.

There's some... inconsistencies here is what I'm saying.

But I haven't discounted anyone no more than EXPERTS have themselves.

Are you employed by the CDC? Are you a doctor? Work with infectious diseases? If you do, then please, educate the rest of us. If not----then,well, STFU. You know no more than I do. Here is what I know:

giphy.gif

+
u-g-F3Q7CU0.jpg

Games back to normal, folks..

You know no more than I do.

I know that it's generally a good idea to listen to experts, rather than political spin and common sense (often misused, see the common sense fallacy), when complex problems affecting complex systems arise. That's especially true where the experts are nigh-universally tilting in the same direction. So, no, I don't work at the CDC and I'm not an epidemiologist, which is exactly why I listen to experts.

****ing Tom Hanks.

TOM MOTHER ****ING HANKS.

If he dies, this is officially worse than the Black Plague.

And it is ALL on you “oh it’s just the media!” peoples fault.

So, what constitutes a “healthy” person? I’m young, have no underlying medical conditions and I’m not fat, but I treat my body like shit.

Am I good?

For somebody who has been following this virus for 6 weeks now, it has been absolutely FASCINATING to watch this all unfold here in the United States over the last week or so. It seems like every public health expert/bio-scientist is 100% accurate in their predictions of what would happen. The panic is escalating by the hour it seems. This is a crazy crazy crazy moment in history we are experiencing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT