ADVERTISEMENT

Soooo... how about that corona virus...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Started to get a bit scary... we are having a meeting at the end of this week to discuss prepping for the cancellation of school for an extended period of time.

Thankfully it still looks like more of an issue for the elderly and people who are already health compromised, and while the mortality rate in Wuhan is between 2 and 4 percent, the mortality rate elsewhere in the world is closer to .7%. But this one does kill young, healthy people at a rate we generally haven't seen. And its on every populated continent and spreading rapidly. A Harvard doctor said we may see between 40 and 70 % of the world getting it. At that lowest rate, that is about 22 million dead.

Right now we are looking at the US putting about $2 billion to this. For perspective, the 2020 US military budget is about $750 billion.

And now news is starting to spread that someone can have it, be cleared of it and test negative, and then test positive for it again several weeks later. WTF? Just faulty tests?

Not fun.

Last edited:
I'm never drinking Mexican beer again.

220px-Corona-6Pack.JPG

Flu's and virus's are for the weak.

My enlarged black liver can still take down the worst of the worst.

famous last words.

I just want to be clear... I "liked" that post for the ending.

I DIDN'T like it for the random apostrophes you threw in there.

Anyone else work in a career where you deal with large populations of people? Seeing any adjustments coming down the pipe?

I just want to be clear... I "liked" that post for the ending.

I DIDN'T like it for the random apostrophes you threw in there.

Anyone else work in a career where you deal with large populations of people? Seeing any adjustments coming down the pipe?
I will gladl'y accept money from Coronavirus' patient's.

I was diagnosed with tuberculosis a few years back and survived so feel like I'll be ok.

It's pretty intriguing. It wouldn't hurt to have 2-3 weeks of food available at home either in case of a worst case scenario. That's the smart move. We're already seeing runs on grocery stores in areas of mass quarantine in Asia and Italy. Better safe than sorry.

If it did become a pandemic here everything I've read points to our hospitals being completely understaffed while simultaneously being completely overwhelmed. That's a scary thought. I've read some outlooks that point to such an event happening in around 2 months from now. Having a child on the way with an expected date around then, this does scare me.

It's pretty intriguing. It wouldn't hurt to have 2-3 weeks of food available at home either in case of a worst case scenario. That's the smart move. We're already seeing runs on grocery stores in areas of mass quarantine in Asia and Italy. Better safe than sorry.

If it did become a pandemic here everything I've read points to our hospitals being completely understaffed while simultaneously being completely overwhelmed. That's a scary thought. I've read some outlooks that point to such an event happening in around 2 months from now. Having a child on the way with an expected date around then, this does scare me.

Oh man, Schooner, that is a bit worrisome. I am sure it will work out.

I am thinking about stocking up a bit. Just some pasta, rice, stuff like that that we'll use no matter what. There are some big runs going on at stores. Never been that type, but something about this one is making me nervous...

And yeah, our hospitals will get crushed. We would need a CRAZY amount of money to staff them to the point that we would need, I think.

Reactions: schoonerwest

I am thinking about stocking up a bit. Just some pasta, rice, stuff like that that we'll use no matter what. There are some big runs going on at stores. Never been that type, but something about this one is making me nervous...

And yeah, our hospitals will get crushed. We would need a CRAZY amount of money to staff them to the point that we would need, I think.
We've got several bags of beans, lentils, quinoa. We've got canned soups. A decent amount of frozen meat in the freezer. We should be fine and able to make it a few weeks. I've actually been buying a few extra cans/bags every week or two since I heard about this in January. It adds up and it's all food that will either be consumed within 6 months or will be donated. So it's not like we are full on panicking or anything. We're just being prepared for a worst case scenario.

Hopefully it never does come to that though. Viruses usually slow down with warmer weather and we live in the desert where it's even less likely of a chance to spread. We usually start getting close to 90 degrees in late April so fingers crossed for an early summer (which I will absolutely regret when it's 100 on Memorial Day).

Are you telling me you guys don't have a deep freezer full of meat and a pantry full of beans, rice, flour, sugar, evaporated milk, etc.?

*2 minutes too late.

so you seem to have some information...why do we expect it to really spread here in the US? Have we not properly quarantined people have been exposed or do we think people got through before we were aware, were not showing signs but are carriers?

Difficult topic but are we just allowing too liberal of travel to and from the US? I mean we are in some ways well insulted from the hot spots...it seems like mistakes would have to be made for it to really become a big issue in the US.

Selfishly my reason to inquire is I have a 7 year old with significant special needs so I believe he would probably have a heightened risk...he goes to school and we have to make more visits to hospitals and clinics then I would like...that is mixing with the masses that I wish we could avoid but he really enjoys school!

Reactions: KUhawks34
The only thing that worries me is we travel quite a bit and if some bat eating derelict gives one of my boys the corona virus---I might go to jail.

Reactions: tw3301
I would say the Timberwolf, wouldn’t you? The virus is a little tricky, in that it’s microscopic and hiding from me in China right now. I could physically overwhelm the wolf pretty easily and quickly
Could you though? I bet you don’t even have 9 inch wide hands. You couldn’t even physically overwhelm a shrimp cocktail.

Death rate no worse than the common flu strains. More contagious apparently. Meh, media blowing it out of proportion. Very young and old most susceptible.
And the Dims are trying to politicize coronovirus now. Unbelievable. Should be tarred and feathered.

I would say the Timberwolf, wouldn’t you? The virus is a little tricky, in that it’s microscopic and hiding from me in China right now. I could physically overwhelm the wolf pretty easily and quickly

In China.

Sure.

;)

Are you seriously worried about this? I didn’t think people were. It’s not worse than the regular flu
Are you serious? Why are you saying it's not worse than the regular flu? Where did you get that information from? I've been following this for atleast a month now and this is the first time I've heard that. The death rate is closer to 2% (the flu is 0.02%) from what we know, it is believed that a few different countries are not reporting the actual numbers and that the situation is much worse than what it appears to be, the rate which people need actual care at a hospital is like 10%, the incubation period is all over the place right now (as low as 3 days and as long as 3 weeks). This is literally the biggest scare we've had since the Spanish Flu in 1918 which infected 25% of the world and killed 3% of the population.

It's been said that a virus is the biggest threat to mankind. I'm not saying that this is anything that looks like it could bring on our demise but I don't understand how people cannot be fascinated with this when recorded history has several cases of "flus" and other viruses sweeping through the population while taking out millions of people. And the fact that it's a strong possibility that this was manmade it's even that much more intriguing.

Are you seriously worried about this? I didn’t think people were. It’s not worse than the regular flu
I will add that you shouldn't have anything to worry about if you're healthy and have healthy lungs. Most people in China smoke like chimneys and they have horrific air quality so it's believed that their death rate is that much higher because of those factors. Still though. It's able to be transmitted very easily and there are quite long incubation periods. You can be a carrier without even knowing it and transmit it to dozens of people. That's what frightening.

Are you serious? Why are you saying it's not worse than the regular flu? Where did you get that information from? I've been following this for atleast a month now and this is the first time I've heard that. The death rate is closer to 2% (the flu is 0.02%) from what we know, it is believed that a few different countries are not reporting the actual numbers and that the situation is much worse than what it appears to be, the rate which people need actual care at a hospital is like 10%, the incubation period is all over the place right now (as low as 3 days and as long as 3 weeks). This is literally the biggest scare we've had since the Spanish Flu in 1918 which infected 25% of the world and killed 3% of the population.

It's been said that a virus is the biggest threat to mankind. I'm not saying that this is anything that looks like it could bring on our demise but I don't understand how people cannot be fascinated with this when recorded history has several cases of "flus" and other viruses sweeping through the population while taking out millions of people. And the fact that it's a strong possibility that this was manmade it's even that much more intriguing.

Tell me, who are the 2% dying from coronovirus? Very young? Very old? Very healthy? Not healthy and have health problems already? Smokers?
Not concerned. If the the death rate hits 25% like the Bubonic plague in the 1400’s, let me know.

Got a bachelor party scheduled in Vegas for mid April.

Definitely got travel insurance in case things get out of hand.

Global markets, especially supply chains could endure some major disruption from this, especially with the way that ish can lay dormant.

Tell me, who are the 2% dying from coronovirus? Very young? Very old? Very healthy? Not healthy and have health problems already? Smokers?
Not concerned. If the the death rate hits 25% like the Bubonic plague in the 1400’s, let me know.
IS this type of thing necessary in every population of species to "thin the herd?"

I'll have an infant kid in 2 months. I have parents over the age of 70. I have many aunts and uncles over that age. In laws. Friends parents. I know a lot of people that are the demographic that this virus hits hardest.

On top of that we are already seeing MAJOR corrections in the stock market brought on by the coronavirus. Factories in Asia have been shut down indefinitely. Companies are on hold right now in the United States because of that. There is a TON of business on hold between us and them and other parts of the world. All because of the coronavirus. And it's not even a pandemic. If(big if) it escalades to that level then the worldwide market is going to go into a recession. That means lay offs, cut backs, unemployment, bankruptcy, defaulted loans, etc. All of that awful stuff that we haven't experienced in 10 years, it would come back.

This is a pretty big deal in our world right now.

I agree that people shouldn't panic but man, your post was awful so I felt the need to spell out what could happen here.

For sure. Check out what Schooner said. Death rates are higher than we’d like, and a good deal higher than the flu... it is spreading like nuts... and I don’t have faith in any governments outside maybe Israel to keep it under control. We don’t even have enough testing kits in NYC. Gotta remember... I live in the metro NYC area. My school district is like 25 percent Asian. It’d be really easy for this shit to get around, especially where I live. There’s a reason the Head of the CDC was saying that Americans have to prepare for major interruptions in services, and school districts are starting to quietly discuss what has to happen if public schools shut down for a long period of time.

Definitely worrisome.

I'll have an infant kid in 2 months. I have parents over the age of 70. I have many aunts and uncles over that age. In laws. Friends parents. I know a lot of people that are the demographic that this virus hits hardest.

On top of that we are already seeing MAJOR corrections in the stock market brought on by the coronavirus. Factories in Asia have been shut down indefinitely. Companies are on hold right now in the United States because of that. There is a TON of business on hold between us and them and other parts of the world. All because of the coronavirus. And it's not even a pandemic. If(big if) it escalades to that level then the worldwide market is going to go into a recession. That means lay offs, cut backs, unemployment, bankruptcy, defaulted loans, etc. All of that awful stuff that we haven't experienced in 10 years, it would come back.

This is a pretty big deal in our world right now.

I agree that people shouldn't panic but man, your post was awful so I felt the need to spell out what could happen here.

The guy has 30,000 posts and only 200 likes. My guess is that a lot of his posts are awful, you know?

btw, there is an entire reddit dedicated to it... its a little unnerving, for sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coronavirus/

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT