ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams Retiring?

What surprises me more than Roy retiring is how UNc fans have said “hell with family, let’s hire somebody good”. I thought the UNc thing was “Family”?

What surprises me more than Roy retiring is how UNc fans have said “hell with family, let’s hire somebody good”. I thought the UNc thing was “Family”?
They are recognizing that years of inbreeding is not a good thing necessarily. They need to look to go outside the family, but should look for somebody with ties to another blue blood. Say somebody that played PG at Kansas and also has experience building a stable program.

Turgeon-3-REDONE-scaled.jpg

Hate to see Roy go. I think he's a class guy and a hell of a coach. I love his style of play, up and down the floor and lots of big bodies.

I'm thinking they almost have to hire Hubert Davis. If they don't, they might catch some heat.

Isn't he a Duke fan?

LOL. K may have plenty of titles in his 6 thousand year career, but he's also got a ton of chokes. Dude's failed to get past the 2nd round as a high seed 10 times I think. Lehigh and Mercer were as bad as any chokes ever outside of UMBC. Plus, he's failed to get past the Sweet 16 as a 1 several times.

He also never lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed, like Roy (twice) or Self. And K has a better track record of advancing to the Sweet 16 than Kansas.

Sweet 16's since 1980-81:
Coach K: 25 out of 35, 71.4%
Kansas: 22 out of 36, 61.1%

Self: 10 out of 17, 58.8%

If we stay in the family and it turns out to be the right call then I’ll be very happy. But to date, results have been...mixed.

Is this a down time for up and coming coaches? Especially in the UNC and Duke family?

Who is worthy of UNC?

He also never lost in the 2nd Round as a 1 seed, like Roy (twice) or Self. And K has a better track record of advancing to the Sweet 16 than Kansas.

You think that losing to a 15 or a 14 in the first round is better than losing to an 8 in the 2nd?

KU and the great one have each missed the Sweet Sixteen 9 times as a 1-3 seed. And I'm guessing that Roy has a lower choke rate than either. If a Duke fan wants to brag about closing the deal more often, fine, but to pretend like he's immune to choking is laughable.

Reactions: tarwhiz
There are only two 'family' guys that should even be options. Miller and Stack, both for different reasons. Again, they should be options. I'm not extremely high on either at this point.

Hiring Hubert would be an epic fail. He can't even do what he is supposed to as an assistant IMO.

Holtmann is my number one option but we'll see.

Reactions: sgrooms
You think that losing to a 15 or a 14 in the first round is better than losing to an 8 in the 2nd?

KU and the great one have each missed the Sweet Sixteen 9 times as a 1-3 seed. And I'm guessing that Roy has a lower choke rate than either. If a Duke fan wants to brag about closing the deal more often, fine, but to pretend like he's immune to choking is laughable.

No one is immune to choking. Given a larger sample size, everyone is going to lose at some point in the early rounds. All I'm saying, is K's great teams have never lost to a middle of the pack team in the first weekend like Roy or Self. 14 for 14. That 2012 team wasn't anything special. We were down a starter and Lehigh clearly had the best player on the court, a guy who is averaging north of 24 ppg in the NBA.

Reactions: duckboy33

Fair point...although the timeline is a little weird since it covers 4 KU coaches and just K. Which reminds me, damn K has been at Duke forever.

As a counterpoint, there are probably a couple other things worth considering (keeping the same timeline):

Missed Tourneys
Duke: 5 (81, 82, 83, 95, 21)
KU: 3 (82, 83, 89)

First Round Losses (note: top 4 seeds had byes until 1985 so a round of 32 loss in that window is a first round loss for a top 4 seed...at least that’s how I ran the numbers):
Duke: 5 (84, 96, 07, 12, 14)
KU: 2 (04, 05)

So covering the last 39 tourneys held (81-current) percentage of making it to the second game of the tourney:
Duke: 29/39 .743
Kansas: 34/39 .871

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Roy probably told them to hire Hubert, so I am going to guess it will be him or Wes Miller.

Fair point...although the timeline is a little weird since it covers 4 KU coaches and just K. Which reminds me, damn K has been at Duke forever.

As a counterpoint, there are probably a couple other things worth considering (keeping the same timeline):

Missed Tourneys
Duke: 5 (81, 82, 83, 95, 21)
KU: 3 (82, 83, 89)

First Round Losses (note: top 4 seeds had byes until 1985 so a round of 32 loss in that window is a first round loss for a top 4 seed...at least that’s how I ran the numbers):
Duke: 5 (84, 96, 07, 12, 14)
KU: 2 (04, 05)

So covering the last 39 tourneys held (81-current) percentage of making it to the second game of the tourney:
Duke: 29/39 .743
Kansas: 34/39 .871

I mentioned Sweet 16s because that's what Flagger originally referenced, getting past the 2nd round. I'll concede that Kansas has performed better in the first Round. Although I do think it's weird that you're lumping 1984 in with a 1st Round game. Here's another way to look at the first two rounds:

Round of 64, 1981-Present
Kansas: 35-2, 94.6%
Duke: 30-4, 88.2%

Round of 32, 1981-Present
Kansas: 23-12, 65.7%
Duke: 25-6, 80.6%

Combined
Kansas: 58-14, 80.6%
Duke: 55-10, 84.6%

So while Kansas is slightly better in the 1st Round, they're significantly worse in the Round of 32. Combined, the edge still goes to Duke. Obviously both schools perform really well in the tournament. Duke and Kansas, just like everyone else has lost some early ones. But overall, Duke has been slightly more consistent.

Everyone chokes yes, but some are perennial choke artists(ie. John Thompson III losing to double digit seeds 5 times in a row) while for others these are rare occasions. Apparently Roy Williams was a choke artist in his KU days, but he was a very good tournament coach with UNC. So this makes me curious, that whether KU's problem is Bill Self being a choke artist, or that its just the program being cursed.

I suppose when a program is a consistent high seeded and that program loses in a single elimination tournament it can be said that the team choked...what great program does not have several upsets in the dance? Kansas has the most ncaa tourney wins of any program since 2000 so I guess they choke but also win more than anyone else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT