ADVERTISEMENT

Roy Williams Retiring?

Those aren't the ones I was thinking of. More like Scott Drew, Brad Underwood, Nate Oats, Dana Altman, Porter Moser (before he got the OU job), or Eric Musselman. Chris Holtman would have been a solid candidate, too.

I would rather have Hubert, Wes Miller, or Stack over any of those guys.

You telling me you would be ok with Nate Oats or Scott Drew following K? I can't believe you would be.

I would rather have Hubert, Wes Miller, or Stack over any of those guys.

You telling me you would be ok with Nate Oats or Scott Drew following K? I can't believe you would be.

Over Capel or Wojo? Yes, gladly.

Underwood in that group as well.

Coaches who haven't won.

Are you going to go with these coaches who are looking to win a NC and possibly will fail or stay with someone from your university.

Not that hard of a choice when you realize Mark Few and Jay Wright won't ever leave their schools

How many final 4s has Nate Oats coached in as a player or an assistant? What in the world makes you think he knows how to win consistently at a blue blood? He could just as easily turn out like Gillespie or Archie Miller or any one of the UCLA coaches.

Is Nate Oats at Bama better than Jamie Dixon at Pitt?

I'm fine with Hubert. You can have the hot coach du jour if you want one.

How many final 4s has Nate Oats coached in as a player or an assistant? What in the world makes you think he knows how to win consistently at a blue blood? He could just as easily turn out like Gillespie or Archie Miller or any one of the UCLA coaches.

Is Nate Oats at Bama better than Jamie Dixon at Pitt?

I'm fine with Hubert. You can have the hot coach du jour if you want one.
Exactly.

Then you have a lot of pissed off people who wanted you to hire Hubert Davis as well.

So if let's say Nate Oats is hired and he fails. It could cause a lot of bad feelings towards the administration.

Reactions: UNC71-00
Over Scheyer?

Scheyer is more intriguing. Quinn Snyder too, if he were to ever leave the NBA. Scheyer might need to show he can win as a head coach before the keys to the program are handed to him. So, who knows if he'll even be a head coach by the time K retires?

Reactions: UNC71-00
Scheyer is more intriguing. Quinn Snyder too, if he were to ever leave the NBA. Scheyer might need to show he can win as a head coach before the keys to the program are handed to him. So, who knows if he'll even be a head coach by the time K retires?

by that standard, Mark Few never would have been hired at Gonzaga.

Whether it will be Hubert Davis or Wes Miller, their success will largely depend on when the 2005 and 2009 UNC titles will be vacated. If it happens enough soon(within 2-3 years), they will have less pressure and be given more time to take the program back to the level it was in 2016 and 2017. The pressure and expectation are very different, if the former coach won just 1 title in 15 years with UNC, rather than 3 titles. If it happens too late(ie. after 5 years), they may be running out of time as UNC wont be as patient with them.

Quinn Snyder is an excellent coach but I bet he aint taking the Duke job. The pressure is immense to succeed Coach K, one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history. Whoever will be Coach K's successor, he deserves full respect from everyone on this board whether he will succeed or not. I cant imagine myself handling such pressure when my predecessor was basically the entire history of a program.

Last edited:
Whether it will be Hubert Davis or Wes Miller, their success will largely depend on when the 2005 and 2009 UNC titles will be vacated. If it happens enough soon(within 2-3 years), they will have less pressure and be given more time to take the program back to the level it was in 2016 and 2017. The pressure and expectation are very different, if the former coach won just 1 title in 15 years with UNC, rather than 3 titles. If it happens too late(ie. after 5 years), they may be running out of time as UNC wont be as patient with them.

Quinn Snyder is an excellent coach but I bet he aint taking the Duke job. The pressure is immense to succeed Coach K, one of the greatest coaches in NCAA history. Whoever will be Coach K's successor, he deserves full respect from everyone on this board whether he will succeed or not. I cant imagine myself handling such pressure when my predecessor was basically the entire history of a program.

how much weed have you smoked this afternoon?

I was big on a guy like Holtmann. Successful and could really elevate that at a place like UNC. I am very much out on Hubert. Apparently recruits love him, which is great. However, there is nothing at all that makes him a viable candidate except that Roy likes him. Maybe he will kill it. I'm not sure the chances are good on that though. This was the only place that would hire him. Just not sure that should be the kind of guy UNC hires. I'm just of the mindset that it's time to go outside of the family.

ADVERTISEMENT