ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not @boilerzz but happy to chime in if you’d like?
Of course. I’m trying to get a little more knowledge on the teams before the season. I feel like I only really have a great sense of MSU, Michigan, and I guess Indiana judging basically everyone is back.

More of my own curiosity than anything else.

What are your expectations for Purdue? I’m thinking of snagging Edey at 10 in the draft if he’s still there.
I think Edey's a terrible first round pick. I wouldn't pick him before 18th. :)

I think our frontcourt has the potential to be really good. Edey is the centerpiece of course and will likely pair him up with Mason Gillis, who is just a lunchpail 3, D and rebound low volume guy that fits well with Edey. What is exciting is we can line shift them with two former 4 star PF/C's in Caleb Furst (6'10) and Trey Kaufmann-Renn (6'9). TKR is quick enough to defend stretch fours and likes to post up, shoot from outside or take people off the dribble if he has a speed advantage. Furst can defend centers and most 4's and is looking really great as a pick and pop shooter out to the 3P line. So switching them that way will really alter how people defend Purdue.

We definitely have questions in the backcourt but think there are enough pieces to be good. If Brandon Newman ever lives up to his potential, he can be a 12-15 ppg scorer who shoots 42% from three. He's just been maddeningly inconsistent thus far. Ethan Morton is back as a low volume guy who can play 1-4 and shot surprisingly well from 3 last year on low volume. Even more surprisingly, he was our best perimeter defender outside of Eric Hunter.

Other than that, it's a bunch of new guys. David Jenkins is a transfer combo who can shoot but you never know how it will translate. Fletcher Loyer is the next Ryan Cline/Dakota Mathias/Sasha Stefanovic but is rail thin and TBD on how ready he is. Braden Smith has supposedly been a revelation at point but we will see if there is a learning curve (there usually is with true freshmen 6'0 3 star PGs).

Other than that, Brian Waddell is a wing who looked good in practice last year but then got hurt and redshirted. No idea if he brings anything. Camden Heide is a 4 star wing who is athletic and can shoot but has been banged up and sounds like he will redshirt. William Berg is Purdue's next 7'2 foreigner at center but is pretty raw (tho he looks good shooting) and is certain to redshirt.

If I were to guess, I'd wager we will have some growing pains early but Painter will get them playing well. We'll struggle to defend at times but be good enough offensively to overcome it most nights. I'd put us anwhere between 2 and 5 in the B1G with 4th the most likely slot. Not bad for a team that lost the majority of its scoring and 2 players to the draft (including a top 5 pick).

Reactions: Toast. and MGC_07
Of course. I’m trying to get a little more knowledge on the teams before the season. I feel like I only really have a great sense of MSU, Michigan, and I guess Indiana judging basically everyone is back.
Not going to be able to beat what @boilerzz said lol. He summed up my thoughts well. Love our frontcourt but backcourt has some question marks.

Reactions: boilerzz and MGC_07
I think this Purdue team will resemble the more traditional Painter team. Methodical in the half court working it for good post touches or open threes, values possessions, scraps, and whose sum is greater than its parts.

Big question marks are:
- guard play…who can go get a bucket in the backcourt? Can they handle pressure?
- defense in general, where I think we have some limitations
- we have a lot of talent in the front court…how do we maximize its effectiveness?

WRT the front court, it looks like there may be two main pairings: Gillis/Edey and TKR/Furst. I think edey is our best player but I think the TKR/Furst lineup may be our best option at times, both offensively and defensively. Edey really got shredded in PNR late in the season and I’m not sure how much better he can get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC_07
I think this Purdue team will resemble the more traditional Painter team. Works it in the half court for good post touches or open threes, values possessions, scraps, and whose sum is greater than its parts.

Big question marks are:
- guard play…who can go get a bucket in the backcourt? Can they handle pressure?
- defense in general, where I think we have some limitations
- we have a lot of talent in the front court…how do we maximize its effectiveness?

WRT the front court, it looks like there may be two main pairings: Gillis/Edey and TKR/Furst. I think edey is our best player but I think the TKR/Furst lineup may be our best option at times, both offensively and defensively. Edey really got shredded in PNR late in the season and I’m not sure how much better he can get there.
I honestly think our defense has better potential this year tbh. Frontcourt defense should be better with TKR/Furst being more mobile/better than Trevion was. No idea what to expect from Jenkins defensively but it’ll be interesting to see how good of a defender Smith is. I have high hopes for his defensive potential.

I honestly think our defense has better potential this year tbh. Frontcourt defense should be better with TKR/Furst being more mobile/better than Trevion was. No idea what to expect from Jenkins defensively but it’ll be interesting to see how good of a defender Smith is. I have high hopes for his defensive potential.
Yeah I’m with you. I think smith will be solid.

I think our defense will be better just because last year was essentially an outlier year there. That team just didn’t compete or grind consistently on the defensive end and I’ll be shocked if that’s an issue again with this group.

I think we really, really need Newman to be the player we know he can be. If he’s playing starter minutes, he and Morton should be a nice combo defensively. If guys like Jenkins and/or Loyer are playing over Newman, then I think that could be an issue. Especially when Edey is out there too.

I think it's dumb to do any of this but certain people on this board think division pride is all they have so they want to preach it.

The reality is there is one consistently great team (OSU) and a bunch that aspire to be that team.

Top 10 teams
in that span
East: 16
West: 5

Since division realignment in 2014, the East Division has won all 8 Big Ten championships split between 4 different teams.

Even if you completely take away Ohio State it’s 7-5 in Top 10 teams and 3-0 in Big Ten Championships.

Putting everyone else in a “not Ohio State” tier is weird.

Best team by far:
Ohio State

Next tier that could legitimately win a conference championship:
Michigan
Wisconsin
Penn State

Then there’s a bunch of mediocrity and dogshit after that on both sides, I agree.

Reactions: WheelerG
One of my more enjoyable Sunday traditions right now is to check the iowa box score. They’re hilariously sad.

Like at least Purdue games - despite the comedy of errors every god damn game - are entertaining.

Walked past Coleman Hawkins at the Illinois/Iowa game last night. When are the Illini going to tell this kid about the weight room?

Top 10 teams
in that span
East: 16
West: 5

Since division realignment in 2014, the East Division has won all 8 Big Ten championships split between 4 different teams.

Even if you completely take away Ohio State it’s 7-5 in Top 10 teams and 3-0 in Big Ten Championships.

Putting everyone else in a “not Ohio State” tier is weird.

Best team by far:
Ohio State

Next tier that could legitimately win a conference championship:
Michigan
Wisconsin
Penn State

Then there’s a bunch of mediocrity and dogshit after that on both sides, I agree.
You typed all that and yet, nothing I said wasn't true. Good job.

One of my more enjoyable Sunday traditions right now is to check the iowa box score. They’re hilariously sad.

Like at least Purdue games - despite the comedy of errors every god damn game - are entertaining.
I thought IU was inept offensively.....Sheesh.

@Ingersol

Are we getting our B1G/Big 12 power rankings or what?

Genuinely curious how you are going to get Michigan below 9 Big 12 teams.

@Ingersol

Are we getting our B1G/Big 12 power rankings or what?

Genuinely curious how you are going to get Michigan below 9 Big 12 teams.

Would’ve been a funny list.

He also really hammered home the Illinois > Michigan thing. The two teams play next month. I’d imagine Michigan will be a score favorite or so.

Would’ve been a funny list.

He also really hammered home the Illinois > Michigan thing. The two teams play next month. I’d imagine Michigan will be a score favorite or so.
I can’t imagine he was serious with the Illinois > Michigan takes.

You guys will be definitely be favored, but I could see it being a one score game if Devito is back and healthy. If not, Michigan by 14-20.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Not really adding anything that hasn’t been said already but think Edey will put up stupid numbers. His issue has never been conditioning, always just been having Trevion at the same position. Will be Purdue’s biggest weapon this season & being another year seasoned for a relatively inexperienced player.

So damn high on Purdue’s entire frontcourt & depth to go along with it. Just need average guard play to compliment it to make some noise this season IMO.

Did we already do anticipated starting lineups? I was just looking at the media poll standings and realized how little I know about several teams at this point.

Sounds like Smith, Morton and Edey are locks, with the other guard spot and the 4 spot still tbd.

Purdue:
PG - Braden Smith
Guard - Newman/Jenkins/Loyer (don't think anyone really knows here)
Guard - Ethan Morton
4 - Gillis (or potentially Furst)
5 - Edey

Not really adding anything that hasn’t been said already but think Edey will put up stupid numbers. His issue has never been conditioning, always just been having Trevion at the same position. Will be Purdue’s biggest weapon this season & being another year seasoned for a relatively inexperienced player.

So damn high on Purdue’s entire frontcourt & depth to go along with it. Just need average guard play to compliment it to make some noise this season IMO.
gonna be sad when Braden Smith outrebounds him throughout the season.

🙃

Did we already do anticipated starting lineups? I was just looking at the media poll standings and realized how little I know about several teams at this point.

Sounds like Smith, Morton and Edey are locks, with the other guard spot and the 4 spot still tbd.

Purdue:
PG - Braden Smith
Guard - Newman/Jenkins/Loyer (don't think anyone really knows here)
Guard - Ethan Morton
4 - Gillis (or potentially Furst)
5 - Edey

PG: Jaelin Llewellyn
SG: Kobe Bufkin
SF: Jett Howard
PF: Terrance Williams
C: Hunter Dickinson

I would not be surprised if the freshman Youssef Khayat starts over TWill by the end of the season.

gonna be sad when Braden Smith outrebounds him throughout the season.

🙃
Lmao I laughed way too hard when I read “I can’t make it any more clear” on your post. That poor fella was in a pretzel that whole thread.

Lmao I laughed way too hard when I read “I can’t make it any more clear” on your post. That poor fella was in a pretzel that whole thread.
lol that was a bizarre convo.

but that whole thread was hilarious.

There was a tweet that said Braden Smith had led Purdue in pts/assists/rbs in a couple scrimmages...and a bunch of people on the homeboard started speculating about how bad it would be for Purdue's team if Braden Smith led us in rebounding on the season lol.

Edey averaged 8 rebounds in fewer than 20 mpg...and these people were actually talking about Smith leading us in rebounding lol. Peak message board insanity that I was just relentlessly mocking.

• Haha
B1G Media Basketball Preseason Poll is out.

1. Indiana
2. Illinois
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State
5. Purdue
6. Ohio State
7. Iowa
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Maryland
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Northwestern
14. Nebraska

1. Indiana
2. Illinois
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State
5. Purdue
6. Ohio State
7. Iowa
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Maryland
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Northwestern
14. Nebraska
sensible-chuckle.gif

1. Indiana
2. Illinois
3. Michigan
4. Michigan State
5. Purdue
6. Ohio State
7. Iowa
8. Rutgers
9. Wisconsin
10. Maryland
11. Penn State
12. Minnesota
13. Northwestern
14. Nebraska
Those dumb shits don't know anything:

1. Illinois
  2. Michigan
  3. Indiana
  4. Purdue
  5. Michigan State
  6. Ohio State
  7. Iowa
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Rutgers
  10. Penn State
  11. Maryland
  12. Minnesota
  13. Northwestern
  14. Nebraska
BTW, I'm putting the O/U on combined league wins for NW and Nebby at 6. They are both going to be so, so bad!

Those dumb shits don't know anything:

1. Illinois
  2. Michigan
  3. Indiana
  4. Purdue
  5. Michigan State
  6. Ohio State
  7. Iowa
  8. Wisconsin
  9. Rutgers
  10. Penn State
  11. Maryland
  12. Minnesota
  13. Northwestern
  14. Nebraska
BTW, I'm putting the O/U on combined league wins for NW and Nebby at 6. They are both going to be so, so bad!
I’d hammer the over on that. They’re bad, but I think Nebraska is better than you’re insinuating here. And more importantly, I think the league as a whole is going to be quite a bit worse than it has been the last several years. Nebraska will pull off some random home games, it happens every year.

Reactions: MGC_07
I’d hammer the over on that. They’re bad, but I think Nebraska is better than you’re insinuating here. And more importantly, I think the league as a whole is going to be quite a bit worse than it has been the last several years. Nebraska will pull off some random home games, it happens every year.
Yeah, the league being down is a factor to consider. I just can't see either team not sucking. Hell, Nebraska had McGowens last year and only won 4 league games. Who do they have this year?

NW would have been decent had they not been decimated by the transfer portal.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Boo Buie is good to get hot and win NW a few games too.

As long as those wins aren’t against Illinois, I will be happy when they come.

Can’t believe Hoiberg came back to college for that shit job.

Yeah, the league being down is a factor to consider. I just can't see either team not sucking. Hell, Nebraska had McGowens last year and only won 4 league games. Who do they have this year?

NW would have been decent had they not been decimated by the transfer portal.
Derrick Walker and CJ Wilcher should be their best players. They had a decent recruiting class and a few useful transfers. They won’t be good by any means, but they also aren’t getting blown out at home. Torvik has them projected as a 7 win team fwiw. I think they’ll probably end up in that 5-7 win range

It's going to be a long week over on the old Hole. The Minnesota pessimism is already out in full force.

Derrick Walker and CJ Wilcher should be their best players. They had a decent recruiting class and a few useful transfers. They won’t be good by any means, but they also aren’t getting blown out at home. Torvik has them projected as a 7 win team fwiw. I think they’ll probably end up in that 5-7 win range
Torvik's preseason ranks always skew centrist. They have everyone winning between 6 and 13 games. and all but 3 winning between 7 and 12. That has never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT