ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
e5b2ddaa-b2a5-4415-b611-2c4787be52e7-jpeg.199945

I think the one thing people are banking on is another year in woodsons system. Outside shooting will be what keeps them from being a top 10 team.
Just curious at what point did playing another year in Woodson’s offense make you think that’s a good thing? His defense looked good if that’s what you mean.

Just curious at what point did playing another year in Woodson’s offense make you think that’s a good thing? His defense looked good if that’s what you mean.
I'm mainly just talking in general. How a coach operates, and his philosophy in general. I do know it's been said they didn't incorporate a ton of offensive stuff until late in the year. All of that is what i was talking about.

Reactions: Jaycg15
MSU fans got so salty when I’d rank other Big Ten coaches on his tier in a 5 year outlook. Then he goes into a season with 9(?) scholarship players and does this:

Dude is 68 this season, coming off the worst two year stretch of his career, and is basically taking a knee to run the clock out.

Reactions: RichieRebel
How many programs in the Big Ten would swap coaches with Izzo over the next 5 years? I don’t think Illinois, Purdue, or Michigan would.

MSU fans got so salty when I’d rank other Big Ten coaches on his tier in a 5 year outlook. Then he goes into a season with 9(?) scholarship players and does this:

Dude is 68 this season, coming off the worst two year stretch of his career, and is basically taking a knee to run the clock out.
If this ends up being his 3rd mediocre season in a row I think some in the fanbase will push for retirement. I’m frustrated by his decisions. No transfers with glaring holes, getting an open assistant spot and filling it with a former player of his who’s highest level is being an assistant coach at a stagnant Western Michigan program. Just seems uninterested in participating in the current landscape. It’s fair to hold the opinion that it’s bad, but refusing to add transfers or shake things up seems like a recipe for falling behind.

I’m hoping this team just beats all expectations. There’s talent. Tyson Walker, AJ Hoggard, and Jaden Akins are some nice guards. Joey Hauser seemed to figure it out to end the year. Malik Hall definitely has talent. I think I’m higher than most on this team next year. We shall see.

If this ends up being his 3rd mediocre season in a row I think some in the fanbase will push for retirement. I’m frustrated by his decisions. No transfers with glaring holes, getting an open assistant spot and filling it with a former player of his who’s highest level is being an assistant coach at a stagnant Western Michigan program. Just seems uninterested in participating in the current landscape. It’s fair to hold the opinion that it’s bad, but refusing to add transfers or shake things up seems like a recipe for falling behind.

I’m hoping this team just beats all expectations. There’s talent. Tyson Walker, AJ Hoggard, and Jaden Akins are some nice guards. Joey Hauser seemed to figure it out to end the year. Malik Hall definitely has talent. I think I’m higher than most on this team next year. We shall see.

We told you and you guys laughed it off

Seems like Katz likes Rutgers this season. I do too. Although Top 20 may be a tad bit high. Been a great offseason with Caleb returning and locking down Rivals 2023 Top 30 player Gavin Griffiths for a nice start to our '23 class.

"20. Rutgers (NR): The Scarlet Knights have the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year back in Caleb McConnell and one of the top rim protectors and finishers in Cliff Omoruyi."

9 B1G teams in his Top 36: IU (7), MSU (13), Ill (15), UMich (17), RU (20), PU (21), Wisc (28), Iowa (31), OSU (34)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ew-timmes-return-sees-gonzaga-rise-andy-katzs

Last edited:
Reactions: bMORE607
For the 2023 class, MSU feels pretty decent about 5 star Xavier Booker and 4 star Devin Royal to go along with Fears. Would be a pretty great class.

For the 2023 class, MSU feels pretty decent about 5 star Xavier Booker and 4 star Devin Royal to go along with Fears. Would be a pretty great class.
I really like Royal. We got in way too late on that one.

I really like Royal. We got in way too late on that one.
We honestly got in pretty recently too. Definitely has some skills you like to see. I think we’ve gone full press in that recruitment for the past few months.

MSU has had some recruiting swings and misses in some recent classes, mainly 2018 and 2019. I actually really like both of the guys we have for 22’ and this 23’ might shape up to be the best since 2016 with Bridges, Langford, Cassius, and Nick Ward. And I think Jaden Akins will be all Big Ten at some point in his career. Future isn’t so dim, just hope Tom sticks around long enough to see some of these guys through.

Reactions: jwardelt
It’s crazy how poorly the 8 scholarship guys we brought in 2018 and 2019 classes have done. Aaron Henry is probably the 1 out of 8 to exceed expectations. Loyer and Kithier disappointed. Gabe Brown and Bingham finally became ok enough players this year but I think we as a fanbase thought they could be more.

And for the 2019 class, Rocket Watts really disappointed, Julius Marble couldn’t figure out how to defend. Malik Hall was actually pretty dang good at times this year and may end up joining Aaron but the jury is still out, he’s never been a great player consistently.

Even going up to the 2020 class, AJ I’d say has met expectations thus far but Sissoko is way below, although I think they were probably way too high for him coming in, he was raw as fvck and still kind of is (although we need him to improve badly if we want to be good this year)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT