ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Howard really did less with more this year. I’m not saying this UM team is great but bro, Bufkin and Howard are likely first round guys, Dickinson former All American, brought in some solid recruiting classes. Just baffling.

I am pleased.
That is a low BBIQ team.

The Fighting Snookies took what was given to them

Howard really did less with more this year. I’m not saying this UM team is great but bro, Bufkin and Howard are likely first round guys, Dickinson former All American, brought in some solid recruiting classes. Just baffling.

I am pleased.
We should have made the tournament but this team was pretty awful from a personnel standpoint. Only reason we should have been better is because the B1G is so bad this year imo.

Huge hole at the 4. Frosh PG with no backup due to an acl tear. Zero depth at any position other than the 5… which is of course the only established position. 1 senior on the team is a Duke castoff coming off hip surgery. This was a roster construction issue more than anything else… but that was true last year and there are no excuses for it in this day and age at a program like UM.

Bufkin and Jett… Today was brutal for both of them but it’s hard for me to say they underperformed or the team should be way better with them. Neither guy had much (or any) nba hype before this season. They have some traits the nba covets but Jett is not a good basketball overall player as a frosh. Kobe took a massive jump this year but is still the youngest player on the team and inconsistent. Also asked to do way too much with no backup. NBA drafts on traits/ceiling so I get it tho. Counting on NBA guys in their first year getting major minutes just sucks unless they are truly next level. So sick of the Diabate’s/Houstan’s and Jett’s (if he goes pro) just like I’m sure MSU fans were pretty sick of Christie (whether or not that’s all their faults).

Reactions: MGC_07
We should have made the tournament but this team was pretty awful from a personnel standpoint. Only reason we should have been better is because the B1G is so bad this year imo.

Huge hole at the 4. Frosh PG with no backup due to an acl tear. Zero depth at any position other than the 5… which is of course the only established position. 1 senior on the team is a Duke castoff coming off hip surgery. This was a roster construction issue more than anything else… but that was true last year and there are no excuses for it in this day and age at a program like UM.

Bufkin and Jett… Today was brutal for both of them but it’s hard for me to say they underperformed or the team should be way better with them. Neither guy had much (or any) nba hype before this season. They have some traits the nba covets but Jett is not a good basketball overall player as a frosh. Kobe took a massive jump this year but is still the youngest player on the team and inconsistent. Also asked to do way too much with no backup. NBA drafts on traits/ceiling so I get it tho. Counting on NBA guys in their first year getting major minutes just sucks unless they are truly next level. So sick of the Diabate’s/Houstan’s and Jett’s (if he goes pro) just like I’m sure MSU fans were pretty sick of Christie (whether or not that’s all their faults).
A 1st team All Big Ten player and two 3rd team All Big Ten players. Did anyone else have 3 on the 3 teams?

Reactions: MGC_07 and bMORE607

Jett needs serious work on his all around game, he basically provides nothing outside of scoring and helping to space the floor.

Think of all the players in the conference that have the potential to get drafted, he’s the one who could benefit the most from coming back.

But it’s understandable if he gets a nice guarantee why he’d strike while the irons hot

A 1st team All Big Ten player and two 3rd team All Big Ten players. Did anyone else have 3 on the 3 teams?
Idk. Jett being 3rd team is ridiculous tho. Dude only played one end of the court and missed like 5 B1G games injured.

That said, We did play pretty well in B1G play, especially considering the voting happened before this game lol.

I completely agree the roster construction wasn’t great, and am in total agreement with what you’re saying. That post was a bit trolly.
I’m just saying, a team with a top 3 just talent wise of Michigan completely missing the tournament just isn’t something I feel we see all that often.

I mean take MSU for example. I’d say we have a definite hole at the 5 and not great depth, while definitely not having the same top 3 players just talent wise as Michigan. I just think it falls on Juwan, obviously this roster had issues but might be the most talented team to miss the tournament this year.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
All of that said, I pray to god Michigan doesn’t get these guys back. I don’t want to see what another year of a more mature Bufkin or Howard looks like.

I completely agree the roster construction wasn’t great, and am in total agreement with what you’re saying. That post was a bit trolly.
I’m just saying, a team with a top 3 just talent wise of Michigan completely missing the tournament just isn’t something I feel we see all that often.

I mean take MSU for example. I’d say we have a definite hole at the 5 and not great depth, while definitely not having the same top 3 players just talent wise as Michigan. I just think it falls on Juwan, obviously this roster had issues but might be the most talented team to miss the tournament this year.
Agree it’s inexcusable and your last sentence may be right in terms of talent. CBB as a whole is awful this year.

Talent just doesn’t mean you’re a good basketball player tho. Jett just isn’t very good. The same people saying “UM shouldn’t miss the tournament with all this nba talent”, are also the people saying “UM would have made the tournament if Baker played instead of Jett”.
That alone should tell folks that UM isn’t as “talented” as many think haha.

Kobe was unplayable last year and basically became a completely different player after the horrific non-con.

I’m not trying to make excuses for something that is never excusable at a program like UM but I actually think the lack of talent and roster construction is by far the biggest issue.

Reactions: MGC_07

I always thought Jamal Crawford and Jordan Poole leaving after a year was crazy. It turned out pretty good for those guys.

Fran looks like he just rolled in off a bar stool.

Has he changed his cloths in the last two weeks?

I always thought Jamal Crawford and Jordan Poole leaving after a year was crazy. It turned out pretty good for those guys.
Poole was after 2 years and Crawford had the NCAA suspension stuff so a bit different, but yeah I get your point.

I’m too young to remember Crawford at UM. Poole was incredibly toolsy. I definitely thought he left a year too early but the path from the G league to the NBA is way more clear now than it was for a long time. Plus with all the load management and ranking it’s a lot easier for young high potential guys to get some run in the nba now.

Also, random point… but If Jett wasn’t Howard’s kid there is no way he’d get as much nba buzz as he has.

Reactions: Sparty_57
The tournament being in Chicago just feels right.
While I’ll admit Indy is a fantastic/much better setup with bars, restaurants, the BTT being a way bigger deal to the metro, etc., I agree. Chicago has WAY more Big Ten fans from several different fan bases. If Purdue, Illinois, MSU, etc. and especially Indiana lose early when it’s in Indy, ticket sales plummet. Saturday and Sunday will be full no matter who’s playing in Chicago.

Oh yeah, and I live here and can go so that’s my main motive here for sure, lol.

Reactions: hawkit3113
How many bottom half of the league finishes will Howard be allowed until he's fired? As of now it's more than 3 of 4.

As soon as Woodson passes him in tournament wins I’ll vote to can him. You get a free year this year to close the gap.

I am pleased.

Howard didn’t do a good job.

But we had the youngest team in the conference and played like it alot. We also probably have the worse power forwards in D1.

The problem is we will having another “young” team if we lose Jett and Kobe.

• Sad
Fran looks like he just rolled in off a bar stool.

Has he changed his cloths in the last two weeks?
Go Hawks!

iowa-fans-day-3-prelims-2015-d1-mncaa-3.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT