ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

You don't, TBH. None. Zero. Nadda. You know what a bad call is, sure---But that is A CALL. We are talking 40 minutes---with about 30-35 calls----or more. Or calls that are not made. Why they were not made...Etc, etc...

Did you understand why Fran was so upset over then non-10 second call? Did you honestly know the ball had to touch a player? Or did you think since the ball crossed the center line, that was it?

Do you understand last to touch, first to touch when it comes to over and back? If I tip the ball away from the offense, it goes off their knee,into the backcourt and they(offense ) is the first to touch---is it over and back?

Do you underestand and know what LGP is? Maintaining it? Can it be established in the arc?

What is a layered play,and how do you officiate that? Does the L or T have primary coverage? Which player do you officiate as the lead, in a layered play, on a drive to the basket?

Do you know what a cadence whistle is?

Do yu understand PCA's?

Do you really know why sometimes whistles are late?

If the ball is on the rim/in the cylinder, and I hit the net, is it goal tending? BI? Nothing?

When can you use an arm bar? When is it a foul?

When is contact just considered incidential? A play on?

How many times can the jumper tap the ball? Can he ever catch it?

These are just a few questions....Look forwrd to your answers.
iu
iu

The most remarkable phenomenon I've noticed in league games from following this board is B1G officiating is defensible/solid in just about every game except those games that Indiana loses. It's fairly remarkable.
One thing I notice - everyone complains about the refs here after losses except us MD fans - we complain about our offense inept shooting 😛

Reactions: RutgHoops
One thing I notice - everyone complains about the refs here after losses except us MD fans - we complain about our offense inept shooting 😛
I was gonna say our shooting is worse, but I just checked the stats and we are slightly better in everything but FT%.

Which is astounding, because it seems like everyone but Mayer is shooting bricks.

The most remarkable phenomenon I've noticed in league games from following this board is B1G officiating is defensible/solid in just about every game except those games that Indiana loses. It's fairly remarkable.
Maybe it's best for all if you did get your nuts cut off.

I was gonna say our shooting is worse, but I just checked the stats and we are slightly better in everything but FT%.

Which is astounding, because it seems like everyone but Mayer is shooting bricks.
Maryland is so bad at shooting, especially on the road. I think it’s mostly a shot selection issue

Reactions: Noahtogo24

They cost Illinois a win over Indiana

Fran was right about 10 seconds

I know. It was a big moment in the game. Like that Hawkins technical. You can say whatever you want, but those were huge momentum calls. Hawkins more so because you guys were actually playing well. We still played like shit yesterday.

I know. It was a big moment in the game. Like that Hawkins technical. You can say whatever you want, but those were huge momentum calls. Hawkins more so because you guys were actually playing well. We still played like shit yesterday.
8--------------------------------> )(

• Haha
Reactions: hawkit3113
Donta Scott taking multiple 3 pointers down the stretch when he was 1-10 was hilarious (as a neutral observer only)
Sad thing is, if it's not Young shooting, Scott is up there as maybe the next best thing shooting wise- obviously not last night.

Hear me out- Dom Carey-who I think shot 38% from three with the Hoyas last season, is AWFUL this year offensively. If not Scott as number 2 option, with Young at 1, only other guys will be like Hart or Martinez- fair to say Turge left the cupboard BARE shooting wise.

Edit-not counting Reese, who is growing each and every game, maybe best big man in Big Ten next year if Edey leaves? Just don't shoot threes please!

Donta Scott taking multiple 3 pointers down the stretch when he was 1-10 was hilarious (as a neutral observer only)
Yeah, and he’s far from their only irrational confidence guy. He’s probably particularly irritating for Maryland fans though because he’s a decent to good post player when he wants to be

Sad thing is, if it's not Young shooting, Scott is up there as maybe the next best thing shooting wise- obviously not last night.

Hear me out- Dom Carey-who I think shot 38% from three with the Hoyas last season, is AWFUL this year offensively. If not Scott as number 2 option, with Young at 1, only other guys will be like Hart or Martinez- fair to say Turge left the cupboard BARE shooting wise.

Edit-not counting Reese, who is growing each and every game, maybe best big man in Big Ten next year if Edey leaves? Just don't shoot threes please!
Yeah, I was surprised he was doing so poorly. He always plays lights out vs us lmao. Also surprised he didn’t just say fvck it at that point and attack the rim.

Hart/Martinez seems like good catch and shoot guys when they are open, but aren’t the best at creating their own shots on the perimeter.

Reese is a stud, could tell that last year when he dunked all over Kofi a couple times.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Yeah, and he’s far from their only irrational confidence guy. He’s probably particularly irritating for Maryland fans though because he’s a decent to good post player when he wants to be
Yep, he’s like an EJ Liddell-lite.

Just needs to put more emphasis on bodying up in the post instead of floating at the 3.

Yeah, I was surprised he was doing so poorly. He always plays lights out vs us lmao. Also surprised he didn’t just say fvck it at that point and attack the rim.

Hart/Martinez seems like good catch and shoot guys when they are open, but aren’t the best at creating their own shots on the perimeter.

Reese is a stud, could tell that last year when he dunked all over Kofi a couple times.
Hoping Young, Scott & Hart returns for a fifth year , but doubting Young does, hoping Scott & Hart do at least.

With Reese & Martinez as well, plus four freshmen, if Willard can get another guard like he hit on Young, Terps should be Tourney team again next season.

However, MD loses Young, Scott & Hart after this season, then again, depending all-in on portal success...

Hoping Young, Scott & Hart returns for a fifth year , but doubting Young does, hoping Scott & Hart do at least.

With Reese & Martinez as well, plus four freshmen, if Willard can get another guard like he hit on Young, Terps should be Tourney team again next season.

However, MD loses Young, Scott & Hart after this season, then again, depending all-in on portal success...
If you bring all those guys back, you’ll be firmly in the contender category for the conference.

Between Kaiser, Harris-Smith, and Lamothe not sure you even need a big time transfer. At least 2 (maybe even all 3 of them) should be upgrades to the production you’re getting from Carey this year.

If you bring all those guys back, you’ll be firmly in the contender category for the conference.

Between Kaiser, Harris-Smith, and Lamothe not sure you even need a big time transfer. At least 2 (maybe even all 3 of them) should be upgrades to the production you’re getting from Carey this year.
Very true man- odds are pretty good the 2 spot production will be better than Carey this year-prob Martinez starting (unless portal), but I like Martinez- hopefully Kaiser is productive next year and can take Martinez's spot.

Not going to be good next year but hopefully two years from now-Pierce the 7 footer- please be like Purdue's 7 footers in the name of Tebow :p

On the 40% chance Edey comes back, we could lose only David Jenkins, who's averaging 3.6 points per game in 15 minutes. No one else is a senior.

A fella can dream.
Let's say Purdue only loses Edey and Jenkins- SUPER EARLY thoughts on Purdue next year?

Let's say Purdue only loses Edey and Jenkins- SUPER EARLY thoughts on Purdue next year?
I'd say top 4-5 in the B1G and fringe top 25. Trey Kaufman-Renn has shown flashes as Edey's backup and I think he's going to be good. Between him, Furst and Gillis, I'd feel pretty good at the 4-5. Plus, returning Braden Smith, Loyer, Newman and Morton in the backcourt is solid. Might need to hit the portal for another combo guard as Jenkins was the only real backup to Smith this year.

Big question is what we get out of 7'2 William Berg (yet another import big....a little raw but we have a good track record), former top 50 redshirt Camden Heide (he's battled injuries) and true freshman Myles Colvin (son of former New England Patriot Roosevelt Colvin), who will instantly be our best athlete and has tremendous potential.

PS - Of course, odds are decent we lose someone to the transfer portal....just no idea who.

@boilerzz hit the nail on the head with his post. Berg is def a wildcard and we’re hoping he’s a good mix between Edey and Haarms which would be solid. IF Edey returns, I feel confident in saying that regardless of what any other team does in the offseason, we’d be preseason number 1. And I think there’s a solid chance Edey comes back too.

@boilerzz hit the nail on the head with his post. Berg is def a wildcard and we’re hoping he’s a good mix between Edey and Haarms which would be solid. IF Edey returns, I feel confident in saying that regardless of what any other team does in the offseason, we’d be preseason number 1. And I think there’s a solid chance Edey comes back too.
Great chance he returns, IMO.....Not sure how much his game is gonna translate over to the NBA. I haven't paid much attention to NBA mock boards, but his name doesn't seem to come up much.

Edey returning probably has Purdue pre-season #1......Although UK could be absolutely loaded.

Great chance he returns, IMO.....Not sure how much his game is gonna translate over to the NBA. I haven't paid much attention to NBA mock boards, but his name doesn't seem to come up much.

Edey returning probably has Purdue pre-season #1......Although UK could be absolutely loaded.
Purdue def top 5 preseason if Edey returns and nobody besides Jenkins goes-however, still too early for #1 for neext season talk just because who knows who else is returning/transferring. Purdue has a great shot though.

And of course Kentucky- if Oscar returns plus with what, 4 top 10 recruits??

Hate to say "dark-horse" for next season #1-does Zona lose anybody?

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Purdue def top 5 preseason if Edey returns and nobody besides Jenkins goes-however, still too early for #1 for neext season talk just because who knows who else is returning/transferring. Purdue has a great shot though.

And of course Kentucky- if Oscar returns plus with what, 4 top 10 recruits??

Hate to say "dark-horse" for next season #1-does Zona lose anybody?
If no one leaves(NBA), Arizona only loses Ramey.

UK could be sickening----at least talent wise.

If no one leaves(NBA), Arizona only loses Ramey.

UK could be sickening----at least talent wise.
I will also throw-out some teams from the Big East-think Xavier loses their big guys in Nunge and Freemantle, however, think Marquette could return everyone? Also, have to put Uconn as a potential top five team if Hawkins & Sanago return...

Reactions: IUfanBorden
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT