ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Michigan more than OSU.

I think Michigan is a better team than OSU. OSU has the most dynamic player in KBD, but Michigan is much more talented top to bottom and OSU's lack of pg depth will catch up with them at some point.

I think Purdue and MSU are clearly the most talented teams but that MSU is mostly sizzle. Purdue is one of the most complete teams in the country. Villanova and Purdue are the 2 best teams from what Iv'e seen

I think Michigan is a better team than OSU. OSU has the most dynamic player in KBD, but Michigan is much more talented top to bottom and OSU's lack of pg depth will catch up with them at some point.

I think Purdue and MSU are clearly the most talented teams but that MSU is mostly sizzle. Purdue is one of the most complete teams in the country. Villanova and Purdue are the 2 best teams from what Iv'e seen

Agreed on MSU and PU. MSU, if they figure it out, have loads of athleticism/talent. Izzo just needs to push the right buttons in March. Sometimes he doesn't, often does.

We haven't played Michigan yet. If you beat us by 25 like OSU, maybe I'll change my opinion. Until then, I'm not as high on them, at least for a final four run. I think they're a typical Sweet 16 team.

Dakich is really surprising me at this point. He is definitely the best former walk on I've seen suit up for OSU

Agreed on MSU and PU. MSU, if they figure it out, have loads of athleticism/talent. Izzo just needs to push the right buttons in March. Sometimes he doesn't, often does.

We haven't played Michigan yet. If you beat us by 25 like OSU, maybe I'll change my opinion. Until then, I'm not as high on them, at least for a final four run. I think they're a typical Sweet 16 team.

We were beating OSU by 20 in the game that we inexplicably lost. I'm amazed by their turnaround, but still not entirely convinced that they'll be able to keep up this pace with their talent level now. Holtmann will have them as a perennial top 15 program at minimum if he continues coaching like this

Reactions: Justin112
Eastern (freshman), Edwards(sophAmore), Cline(junior), Eifert(walk-on), and Haarms(freshman). Take these five over yours today and next season.
you will get your chance in the 18-19 season,

and if you really think this season is bothering me, think again as I have seen and lived thru far worse,
the 11 seasons before he got here there were only 3 seasons of BT BB that finished above .500. this after seasons of 17 above .500 season going thru 1979 thru 1999 Iowa went to 16 NCAAT and just 2 NIT tournaments. that means that Iowa only had 3 losing seasons in a 21 year period.

you will get your chance in the 18-19 season,

and if you really think this season is bothering me, think again as I have seen and lived thru far worse,
the 11 seasons before he got here there were only 3 seasons of BT BB that finished above .500. this after seasons of 17 above .500 season going thru 1979 thru 1999 Iowa went to 16 NCAAT and just 2 NIT tournaments. that means that Iowa only had 3 losing seasons in a 20 year period.
1 sub .500 season they went to a NIT.
We will actually see this line-up this weekend. I am guessing probably quite a bit if it turns out ugly.

I don’t know if this season is bothering you or not. It seems you are more upset about issues out of the players control, refs, calls, etc... than the improvements your players actually need to make to be good. To you, the leading scorer is automatically great, yet in reality, leading any stat on a bad team doesn’t qualify that player as great at all.

Reactions: KisteK and jadeezra
Hoosiers open +15 tomorrow. Is it a good time to play Sparty or a really bad time? Not sure, but 15 is a shit ton of points with how both teams have been playing recently.

Reactions: jadeezra
Hoosiers open +15 tomorrow. Is it a good time to play Sparty or a really bad time? Not sure, but 15 is a shit ton of points with how both teams have been playing recently.

I’d stay away for now , Sparty has shown these tendencies several games now. Iu has shown tendencies in the opposite direction lately. Just my 2c but then I’m not a betting person

Reactions: klize17
I’d stay away for now , Sparty has shown these tendencies several games now. Iu has shown tendencies in the opposite direction lately. Just my 2c but then I’m not a betting person

Yeah I am going to see how the line moves tomorrow.

We will actually see this line-up this weekend. I am guessing probably quite a bit if it turns out ugly.

I don’t know if this season is bothering you or not. It seems you are more upset about issues out of the players control, refs, calls, etc... than the improvements your players actually need to make to be good. To you, the leading scorer is automatically great, yet in reality, leading any stat on a bad team doesn’t qualify that player as great at all.
depends on the stats, beside nobody is shutting these players down either. so that just shows how good offensively they are, as for defense you can't blame Bohannon, as its the whole team that is behind the curve.
Fran is just using simple zones. 1-3-1, 2-3 and 3-2 zone, these players all grew up playing these defenses so its puzzling as to why they struggle.

Was looking at that today. Interested to see how it moves.

FYI that OSU and MICH did already play on the court so you don’t have to speculate too much.

FYI that OSU and MICH did already play on the court so you don’t have to speculate too much.

Huh? I give you credit for vastly improving, but that win didn’t show me that osu is the better team. It only showed me that Michigan is capable of choking at an epic level

hey found this of interest about Painter, Painter took over for Keady so he did not have to rebuild Purdue
in year 8 Painters team went 8-10 and in year 9 the team went 5-13. looks like Fran is not the only one who has a bad season or 2.

I hope no one is following me on this stuff because I am basically guessing with no research but three-game parlay tonight, you idiots:

Georgia Tech +8
Nebraska +5
Under 147 Minnesota/Maryland

hey found this of interest about Painter, Painter took over for Keady so he did not have to rebuild Purdue
in year 8 Painters team went 8-10 and in year 9 the team went 5-13. looks like Fran is not the only one who has a bad season or 2.
You obviously weren’t paying attention when Painter took over the program if you don’t think that he had to rebuild.

I hope no one is following me on this stuff because I am basically guessing with no research but three-game parlay tonight, you idiots:

Georgia Tech +8
Nebraska +5
Under 147 Minnesota/Maryland
Virginia -7.5
Over 116 Virginia/GT
Minnesota+8.5
Michigan-5.5

So kind of the opposite of you lol

Actually the two years you speak of were due to bad players which was ultimately due to bad coaching decisions brought on by a divorce.
Are you saying that you have bad players because Fran is making bad coaching decisions?

Purdue was complete garbage when Painter took over. Wow

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
In Keady's last season, Purdue went 7-21 and 3-13 in league play. I realize that might be normal for Iowa but for Purdue, that's rebuilding.

Conference records since the start of last year:

Purdue 21-4
Maryland 15-10
Michigan 15-10
Michigan St. 14-10
Wisconsin 14-10
Minnesota 14-11
Ohio State 14-11
Northwestern 12-13
Indiana 11-13
Iowa 11-14
Nebraska 10-15
Penn St. 9-16
Illinois 8-16
Rutgers 5-20

Conference records since the start of last year:

Purdue 21-4
Maryland 15-10
Michigan 15-10
Michigan St. 14-10
Wisconsin 14-10
Minnesota 14-11
Ohio State 14-11
Northwestern 12-13
Indiana 11-13
Iowa 11-14
Nebraska 10-15
Penn St. 9-16
Illinois 8-16
Rutgers 5-20

Saw that earlier , it’s hard to believe at first lol

Watched some Villanova and on a number of their possessions they actually go 4 out 1 in and post up their PG Jalen Brunson with 4 shooters around - essentially making him the Isaac Haas of the offense since their Center Spellman can hit 3s.

Keeps the lane more open because bigger bodies are out defending the perimeter and Brunson abuses smaller guards plus you now have a point guard passing out of double teams instead of a center which os awesome.

Just overall a great idea.

Got me to thinking- who else could utilize this?

Michigan can with 6-6 wing Charles Mathews posting up and Mo VVagner hanging out at the 3 point line.

Wonder if Belein will go there at all.

Also made me curious if HAARMS can start splashing 3s next year if Painter might do it with Nojel Eastern since hes essentially built like a college 4 and hes posted Mathias some with Haas out.

In Keady's last season, Purdue went 7-21 and 3-13 in league play. I realize that might be normal for Iowa but for Purdue, that's rebuilding.
that is just 1 season Fran took over a program that was down for 11 season and Lick's last season he went 4-14, 1st season 5-13, 2nd season 6-12 AND you are crying about just 1 [ONE] season
another HUGE DIFFERENCE, Purdue is located in Indiana a state loaded with talent that support these for Major teams
ND
Indiana
Purdue
Iowa in the other hand produces 1-2 players to be shared between these
Iowa
ISU
and whoever raids the state ie: UNCheats by Roy Williams.

lets put Painter at Iowa and Fran at Purdue with all that talent to recruit and see what happens,

Purdue was complete garbage when Painter took over. Wow
yeah right, anything to make yourself feel better, the Program under Keady was anything but garbage, maybe you should tell Keady to his face that Purdue was complete garbage and see that goes over.

to add to this before SA and Lick
from 1979 thru 1999 Iowa only had 3 losing seasons, having 16 NCAAT APPEARANCES 2 NIT appearances, SA 3 NCAAT 1 win in 8 seasons, Lick 0 [ZERO] NCAAT in 3 seasons.
Fran in 7 seasons 3 NCAAT APPEARANCES. with 4 straight 20+ win seasons. 6 straight .500 + seasons
Lute 5 straight .500 win seasons in 9 seasons
Davis 5 straight in 13 season
Fran 6 seasons in 7

SA only had 3 .500 seasons in BT play in 8 seasons
Fran in 7 seasons had 5 straight seasons .500 or better records in BT play

that is just 1 season Fran took over a program that was down for 11 season and Lick's last season he went 4-14, 1st season 5-13, 2nd season 6-12 AND you are crying about just 1 [ONE] season
another HUGE DIFFERENCE, Purdue is located in Indiana a state loaded with talent that support these for Major teams
ND
Indiana
Purdue
Iowa
ISU

lets put Painter at Iowa and Fran at Purdue with all that talent to recruit and see what happens,

You’d love it, I would think a lot of Purdue guys would be boycotting

ND
Indiana
Purdue
Iowa
ISU

Quick poll for the masses:

If Painter had started coaching Iowa's current roster prior to last season, what would their current record be?

Personally, I'm firmly convinced that there is talent there that is devoid of leadership on the sideline. As such, I believe that given the requisite time to teach good defensive principles, this same Iowa roster would be something like 15-5 and 4-3 instead of 10-10 and 1-6.

Reactions: KisteK
Quick poll for the masses:

If Painter had started coaching Iowa's current roster prior to last season, what would their current record be?

Personally, I'm firmly convinced that there is talent there that is devoid of leadership on the sideline. As such, I believe that given the requisite time to teach good defensive principles, this same Iowa roster would be something like 15-5 and 4-3 instead of 10-10 and 1-6.
NO this team is devoid of SENIOR LEADERSHIP, their is nobody to take charge and be the leader of this team,

Baer as much as I like what he brings is being forced to start vs where he is best suited to play and that is being the teams 6th man.

this has been my biggest concern as to where top 50 Wieskamp fits in, but it might just be this for next years starting lineup
at the 1 JR Bohannon
at the 2 RSJR Moss
at the 3 FR Weiskamp
at the 4 JR Cook
at the 5 SO Garza
4 of those are starters this year
next up
SO/RSFR Connor backup at the 1
RSSR Ellingson backup at the 2
RSSR Baer at the 3
JR Pemsl at the 4
SO Nunge at the 5
with JR Dailey being the wild card as he can play the 1-2-3
SR Wagner 3-4
JR Kriener 4-5
FR Fredrick 1-2 who I expect to see be RS'd
Connor brings the son of the coach factor and since Fran was a very good PG in college as he was named White Magic in Philadelphia for his play as a PG. these players tend to be the leaders or if you will Coaches on the floor that bring players together rather than the me 1st attitudes which seems to be the problem this season with this team.

last season Jok was the senior leader for the 6 FR to follow and lean on. Jok numbers were easily replaced. but this was biggest factor I overlooked was his SENIOR Leadership and that is what this years team is missing,

ADVERTISEMENT