ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G Off-Season Thread***

Who knows? I certainly wouldn't put it past KC to change his mind - and then change his mind again. Tampering is also a very strong possibility.

Probably the best decision for both parties. He didn't seem like a Matt Painter type of player, IMO.
Agreed. Don’t think it was going to end well if he had shown up to campus. Better now than in February.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Apparently Catchings reached back out to Painter the next day to apologize and ask for his spot back. Unfortunately for him, he ended up at BYU instead.
Jesus fvcking Christ. Tell me you're a gullible homer with out telling me you're a gullible homer.

Reactions: Middawg
Purdue on3 board

giphy.gif

Never seen an all-world recruit turn so quickly into a bench riding, chemistry problem, wannabe that sobbed for his spot back.

I made a decision long ago to never get too excited or distraught about recruits until they get on campus. The season is enough of a roller coaster of emotion to allow myself to be impacted by the whims of 17 year olds.

Plus, I've seen my share of highly rated recruits look pedestrian and low rated recruits look great and thus realized that those that do the rating do so with an eye toward potential and NBA readiness and largely ignore things like production and team chemistry, which is just dumb IMO.

Two years ago in June, I'd have said there was no way Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer would start as true freshmen (maybe one but no way both). And I'd have been wrong.

Last year in June, I'd have said there was no way Lance Jones would start alongside Smith and Loyer and he would instead back them up. I'd have been wrong on that too.

I have no strong feelings about whether Catchings would have been the missing piece Purdue needed this season. And even if I did, I recognize those thoughts had a considerable chance of being wrong as well.

I made a decision long ago to never get too excited or distraught about recruits until they get on campus. The season is enough of a roller coaster of emotion to allow myself to be impacted by the whims of 17 year olds.

Plus, I've seen my share of highly rated recruits look pedestrian and low rated recruits look great and thus realized that those that do the rating do so with an eye toward potential and NBA readiness and largely ignore things like production and team chemistry, which is just dumb IMO.

Two years ago in June, I'd have said there was no way Braden Smith and Fletcher Loyer would start as true freshmen (maybe one but no way both). And I'd have been wrong.

Last year in June, I'd have said there was no way Lance Jones would start alongside Smith and Loyer and he would instead back them up. I'd have been wrong on that too.

I have no strong feelings about whether Catchings would have been the missing piece Purdue needed this season. And even if I did, I recognize those thoughts had a considerable chance of being wrong as well.
Get out of here with that rational nonsense.

Sad thing is Purdue will still probably be better than Indiana
As long as MP is @ Purdue and MW at IU----this will remain the case. IU is as talented as anyone in the B10---and TBH, in CBB. But...…………………..

Nothing wrong with dropping truth bombs.
Exactly. He didn’t say anything negative about Kanon. Just gave a straight up answer, which is that the kid had doubts about the program so it was in the best interest of both parties to go separate ways.

Reactions: boiler1987
Exactly. He didn’t say anything negative about Kanon. Just gave a straight up answer, which is that the kid had doubts about the program so it was in the best interest of both parties to go separate ways.
Damn lucky he’s our coach.

I really like the Memphis fit for Edey. Jaren Jackson Jr can help defensively from the weak side if Edey is beat on the pick and roll. And speaking of pick and roll, Edey feasted on that with Braden Smith and now has a chance to do that with Ja Morant? Sounds enticing to me. And I'm sure Morant will like having Edey in there setting picks for him.

Memphis investing the 9th pick on him suggests they see him as a rotation player early. I've seen NBA guys suggest he'll get 18-20 minutes as a rookie and that sounds like a good number.

Reactions: boiler1987
I really like the Memphis fit for Edey. Jaren Jackson Jr can help defensively from the weak side if Edey is beat on the pick and roll. And speaking of pick and roll, Edey feasted on that with Braden Smith and now has a chance to do that with Ja Morant? Sounds enticing to me. And I'm sure Morant will like having Edey in there setting picks for him.

Memphis investing the 9th pick on him suggests they see him as a rotation player early. I've seen NBA guys suggest he'll get 18-20 minutes as a rookie and that sounds like a good number.
Couldn’t agree more. I think he can absolutely play the Steven Adams role for them. I wouldn’t bet against him either. The guy works his ass off and keeps getting better every year.

Just read that Purdue had two lottery picks from the same recruiting class and the last time that happened in the B1G is Oden and Conley. Is that true?

Just read that Purdue had two lottery picks from the same recruiting class and the last time that happened in the B1G is Oden and Conley. Is that true?
This is the stat I saw:

What’s wild is that Ethan Morton was the jewel of that class on signing day lol.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more. I think he can absolutely play the Steven Adams role for them. I wouldn’t bet against him either. The guy works his ass off and keeps getting better every year.
Possibly...But would you draft Steven Adams 9th overall?

Possibly...But would you draft Steven Adams 9th overall?
I would if he's an upgrade on Steven Adams...which he is.

BTW, Adams was the 12th pick in the 2013 NBA draft (3 spots ahead of Giannis) so....

If he made sense for the roster then absolutely. Like @boilerzz said, he’s an upgrade over Steven Adams who’s been a 9 and 8 guy in his career.
How do we know Edey will be an upgrade? Say for sake of discussion, Edey becomes a 12/10 guy----Is that what you expect from the 9th pick? Look I am not saying Edey cannot play in the NBA. But the 9th pick?

Making sense for the roster ca be attained in the 2nd round as well. I just don't agree with using a lottery pick here on a guy who MIGHT be an upgrade to Steven Adams.

JMO....Wish the big fella well.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
ADVERTISEMENT