ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Pulling for Michigan and Penn State today. Michigan can give us the out right title and if Penn State wins it provides a slight safety blanket if we lose.

Soooooooooooooooo. Let me get this straight. The "refs" screwed Iowa? Ven though Iowa shot 22 FT's to Indiana's 9? Or that IU was whistled for 19 fouls....Iowa 15? Or that Iowa had no players with more than three fouls, yet two IU's starters had 5(Smith) and 4(Morgan)?

Well, guess one thing is for sure. They(officials) certainly hid their bias very, very well.

:D
That's classic gil for ya

Iowa's wins this year have come against the following teams with their current record:
-Chicago State: 2-26
-Alabama State: 6-18
-Grambling: 15-12
-UAB: 17-11
-Southern: 12-14
-Drake: 15-13
-Southern Utah: 10-14
-Colorado: 15-11
-Northern Illinois: 12-15
-Illinois: 12-15
-Wisconsin: 12-16
-Minnesota: 14-14

-TOTAL : 142-179
-Winning %: 44%

Just an unbelievably terrible year. I know its been said numerous times but there is not one 'good win' on this resume. I understand there is a shortage at the point guard position. However, there are many teams across the nation who have the same issue Iowa does at PG, but are still tournament bound because of the talent elsewhere. If the talent on Iowas team right now only allows for them to beat teams with a combined 142-179 record, the state of the program is in worse shape than many of us can comprehend.

Reactions: klize17
Fran is right on the brink though to take Iowa to the promise land.
I'll believe it when I see it. They need to play some defense is what needs to happen. If they would have played any during conference play, they would probably be the 4-5 seed due to the conference being down. The team might be better next year but the record probably won't due to the conference presumably being stronger

Just checked, it's also possible to pass Nebraska, Go Illini.

That'd be awesome. We can't finish lower than 7th, a slight chance to get to 4th. Not bad. Close to what I expected before the season, not even close to what I expected after the season started.

Reactions: klize17
As a wise Powerball player once said, "You have the same chance of winning, if you play or don't play."

I'm gonna use this for the Iowa basketball team in the BIG Tournament

That'd be awesome. We can't finish lower than 7th, a slight chance to get to 4th. Not bad. Close to what I expected before the season, not even close to what I expected after the season started.
Yup. I thought 6th was about our ceiling. I was expecting more 7th-9th. I’m pretty happy with the progress this team has made over the last two months.

Reactions: HoosierAlice
IU loses its best three players, that's a total of 41 points from a team that finished 7-11, in 11th place. Suppose Johnson and Davis do raise thier points per game to the level of JBJ and Bryant, then who steps up and replaces the points they contributed last year? You had all four of these players and finished 11th. Even if you have guys step up and replace the 20 ppg that Johnson and Davis gave you, you still have 21 ppg to replace with OG leaving. Now suppose all the stars align and you do replace all 41 ppg, once again, that seems unlikely with your new guys and if it happens, you are still only equaling a record that got you 11th place.

IU will need some serious things to go their way and several teams to get worse, while the 3 teams below them last season don't get any better. To think you will not only equal last seasons production after losing your three best players, but have unproven players exceed it, is delusional. Archie may be a better coach than Crean, but replacing 41 ppg is a tough task for any coach and probably impossible for a coach new to a more competitive league.

But by all means, keep the faith.

I am curious as to the five teams you think IU will bypass on their way to a top 6 finish?
@proudopete - YIKES. Lol.

Reactions: Da_Bull and klize17
OG didn't play, and guess what, he won't play his year either. How will that make you better? Defense? OG was your best defender, and he's gone now. JBJ was horrible at defense, but you needed his points and I can think of at least one game where without him, you would've lost. Bryant also took it upon himself to get some buckets and stops last year, which probably won you some more games, and he's gone.
Sure Archie is better than Crean I suppose. He isn't going to come into the league and start winning a bunch of games right away, especially with this team. Johnson isn't a guy who can be the man and when he tried to be last year, his shooting percentage went down and his turnovers went up. Davis couldn't stay out of foul trouble as has already been mentioned here. Hartman is questionable coming off of injury and was never that good anyway.

You may have a better coach, and that is yet to be seen, but your talent level is worse and any advantage experienced players usually have will be lost as all of the players will be learning a new system.

Bottom line is there is a better chance that y'all are saying he first 3 years don't count than IU improving this season after losIng half of your scoring.
@proudopete - Double YIKES.

DWVTCKYX0AAMYKR.jpg

Hatch suiting for today's game.

I’m cheering for Penn State, Michigan and Illinois here today. It’s like a bad bizarro world. I’m out of my comfort zone here!

Reactions: KisteK
Really have no care for who wins today. IU would need major collapses by Nebraska and UM to garner a 4 seed. I'm just hoping we can go 1-1 to end the year. With how we are playing, a win @ Nebraska wouldn't shock me. But expectations are 1-1.

Oh boy, this didn’t age well...

@B-Westy
If Iowa is somehow pretty good next year, nitewing is gonna roast me with all my hot takes this year. Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I don't think we will be very good. I think unfortunately because I could handle the roasting sessions. I can't handle another season like this one

WTH was Jackson doing on that shot? I can’t wait until we get some guards on this team

UM’s roster is much more talented than osu’s. I think that’s pretty clear. There aren’t many people on the Buckeyes who I would call a good ball handler.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT