ADVERTISEMENT

More Passionate: UK Fans or the Folks That Dislike UK Fans?

They can’t stand any other program/coach getting any attention and badly need to be recognized as the greatest at everything. Anything to the contrary wounds their narcissism.

As I said in another thread, it all stems from the fact that college b-ball is all they have on the sporting front.
You think basketball is the only thing UK has going for them for sports? This coming from a Kansas fan???

UK football is on the rise, if it didn't have to play in the SEC, UK football would have been in some damn good bowl games the last few years.

What the hell does Kansas have going for it, other than basketball? Basketball and football are the only two sports that matter in the grand scheme of things and just because KU has Les Miles, doesn't mean they're some football power now. LSU won titles just before he started coaching there and just after he left.

IDK, maybe I missed something, maybe KU sports is dominating in mixed curling on the Olympic level or something. Please enlighten me.

No. Right over state line. Are you implying that only people on the Missouri side of state line should be Chiefs/Royals fans?
So what's the difference? You're a Chiefs fan and I'm a Bears fan, why does my fandom of the Bears mean less than your fandom of the Chiefs? Neither franchise plays in the state in which we reside.
I'm also a Detroit Tigers fan, does that somehow not count?

Makes no sense, all of us on this board are sports fans and all of us follow teams in other sports. UK basketball isn’t the only thing UK fans have going on. On the college level, UK has a hell of a lot more going for it than KU has.

Last edited:
You think basketball is the only thing UK has going for them for sports? This coming from a Kansas fan???

UK football is on the rise, if it didn't have to play in the SEC, UK football would have been in some damn good bowl games the last few years.

What the hell does Kansas have going for it, other than basketball? Basketball and football are the only two sports that matter in the grand scheme of things and just because KU has Les Miles, doesn't mean they're some football power now. LSU won titles just before he started coaching there and just after he left.

IDK, maybe I missed something, maybe KU sports is dominating in mixed curling on the Olympic level or something. Please enlighten me.

I wasn't just talking about college sports. I've already explained this about 10 times in two or three threads.

So what's the difference? You're a Chiefs fan and I'm a Bears fan, why does my fandom of the Bears mean less than your fandom of the Chiefs? Neither franchise plays in the state in which we reside.
I'm also a Detroit Tigers fan, does that somehow not count?

Makes no sense, all of us on this board are sports fans and all of us follow teams in other sports. UK basketball isn’t the only thing UK fans have going on. On the college level, UK has a hell of a lot more going for it than KU has.

It's already been explained about twenty times. The fact that the Truman Sports Complex happens to be a few miles over state line doesn't change my point in the least.

Are there any major sports franchises just over Kentucky's state line? Are there any consensus pro sports teams for the average Kentuckian to follow and take pride in? No.

The only city with pro franchises that's relatively close to the Kentucky line is Cincinnati, and their teams have done nothing in 30 years or more.

I wasn't just talking about college sports. I've already explained this about 10 times in two or three threads.
Either way you look at it, you don't actually have a point.

You said UK fans don't have anything else going for them, that makes no sense at all. Most UK fans are probably Reds and Bengals fans, just like the Royals and Chiefs, they sucked for a long time, so what's your point?

The way I look at it, UK fans have a lot more to look forward to than KU fans. When you have a legit football program and a basketball program that is NOT about to get the shit slapped out of it, you have plenty to look forward to.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
It's already been explained about twenty times. The fact that the Truman Sports Complex happens to be a few miles over state line doesn't change my point in the least.

Are there any major sports franchises just over Kentucky's state line? Are there any consensus pro sports teams for the average Kentuckian to follow and take pride in? No.

The only city with pro franchises that's relatively close to the Kentucky line is Cincinnati, and their teams have done nothing in 30 years or more.
I live in Kentucky and I'm 14 minutes from Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals), what were you saying about major sports programs not just being over the state line? That's false.

Doesn't do me much good though, like I said, I'm a Bears and Detroit Tigers fan, but since the invention of the TV, it really doesn't matter where you are, you can watch whatever games you want.

My man cave suits me just fine, I can get a drink and take a leak without paying a fortune and I don't miss any of the games and I don't have to fight traffic to get there.

So again, why does it matter where your favorite teams are located?

But, like I said in my other response to you, KU basketball is about to become a wasteland and KU football is awful. UK is thriving in both sports, so I don't get your points… . at all.

I live in Kentucky and I'm 14 minutes from Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals), what were you saying about major sports programs not just being over the state line? That's false.

Doesn't do me much good though, like I said, I'm a Bears and Detroit Tigers fan, but since the invention of the TV, it really doesn't matter where you are, you can watch whatever games you want.

My man cave suits me just fine, I can get a drink and take a leak without paying a fortune and I don't miss any of the games and I don't have to fight traffic to get there.

So again, why does it matter where your favorite teams are located?

But, like I said in my other response to you, KU basketball is about to become a wasteland and KU football is awful. UK is thriving in both sports, so I don't get your points… . at all.

Sweet Jesus. Let me reiterate my point. Earlier, I said that the average Kentuckian hasn't seen the top of the sports mountain but once (2012) in 20+ years, and this is why people talk about it like it happened yesterday. And a large part of why many of you obsess over Kentucky b-ball year round.

I'm not saying that Kansas City is championship city, but in a little over a decade, we've seen a Super Bowl champ, back to back World Series and a title, an NCAA title, MLS title, and an Orange Bowl.

This really isn't that complicated.

As for UK football, they've finished the year ranked once in the last 35 years. Can you really describe that program as "thriving?" Even shitty KU's had 3 in that span and a 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season.

Sweet Jesus. Let me reiterate my point. Earlier, I said that the average Kentuckian hasn't seen the top of the sports mountain but once (2012) in 20+ years, and this is why people talk about it like it happened yesterday. And a large part of why many of you obsess over Kentucky b-ball year round.

I'm not saying that Kansas City is championship city, but in a little over a decade, we've seen a Super Bowl champ, back to back World Series and a title, an NCAA title, MLS title, and an Orange Bowl.

As for UK football, they've finished the year ranked once in the last 35 years. Can you really describe that program as "thriving?" Even shitty KU's had 3 in that span and a 12-1 Orange Bowl winning season.
Missouri really has a good thing going right now.

Reactions: kyjeff1

32-20 over the past 4 years, with a Citrus Bowl win over Penn St. and a Belk Bowl win over Virginia Tech. 4 straight bowl games as well.
Rankings? I couldn't care less. UK football is trending upward. Les Miles & Co.? Not so much.

Yeah well, KU doesn’t have to play football in the SEC. Take a look at who UK has to compete with in that league. UK has been on a steady climb the last 3 years.

I see your point about the success the Royals, Chiefs and other local pro sports have had recently in your area, but it doesn't mean UK fans don't have much going for them because the Reds and Bengals havent won anything big recently. That's still a bad take. I'm not even a Reds fan, but I still look forward to going to the games.

Two things...

1. Kansas football doesn’t play in the SEC.
2. From where Kentucky football was and where it is now, yes, it’s thriving!

Yeah well, KU doesn’t have to play football in the SEC. Take a look at who UK has to compete with in that league. UK has been on a steady climb the last 3 years.

I see your point about the success the Royals, Chiefs and other local pro sports have had recently in your area, but it doesn't mean UK fans don't have much going for them because the Reds and Bengals havent won anything big recently. That's still a bad take. I'm not even a Reds fan, but I still look forward to going to the games.

Unless you consider the Reds and Bengals successful in recent times, then I don't understand how it's a bad take.

And it's hard to imagine a less successful duo than 0 playoff wins in 30 years and no series victories in 25.

Unless you consider the Reds and Bengals successful in recent times, then I don't understand how it's a bad take.

And it's hard to imagine a less successful duo than 0 playoff wins in 30 years and no series victories in 25.
Doesn't matter, it's a sporting event and dudes love sports. If winning mattered as much as you’re trying to sell it here, the NY Jets, SD Padres, Milwaukee Brewers, Buffalo Bills and Iowa basketball would have folded up shop years ago. Truth is, people still pack the stands.

But going back to your original point. You said UK fans only have basketball to look forward to, that's why UK fans are on here year round (just like you are). I'm just pointing out the fact that your comment is completely false.

But to further my point, KU fans have one collegiate sport going for them and that's basketball, well, that's about to become a very long walk through a very dark cloud. So needless to say, I was a bit miffed by your comment.

The Royals were the doormat of MLB until their recent success. Aside from then and the George Brett era, players finding themselves in a KC uniform was the equivalent of baseball Siberia.
Same thing with the Cheifs. He was probably a Rams and Cardinals fan at that time though.

He'll probably change his name to @wichita_basketball_fan_1 here in a few months.

But to further my point, KU fans have one collegiate sport going for them and that's basketball, well, that's about to become a very long walk through a very dark cloud.
Ahem...

AP790867113615-1024x701.jpg

Sign.jpg

I had you scheduled for one this past year, so you were due
They'll always be remembered as the best team in 2020.

If the NCAA wants to punish KU then the absolute worst thing they could do isn't a postseason ban and loss of scholarships. It would be to award Gonzaga the 2020 title for being the highest rated team in their metrics. Lol. People would flip out!

Reactions: kyjeff1

If the NCAA wants to punish KU then the absolute worst thing they could do isn't a postseason ban and loss of scholarships. It would be to award Gonzaga the 2020 title for being the highest rated team in their metrics. Lol. People would flip out!

They'll be remembered as best chair-swinging brawlers in 2020.

Reactions: Random UK Fan

Kansas could not even beat Duke. Geeze.

Doesn't matter, it's a sporting event and dudes love sports. If winning mattered as much as you’re trying to sell it here, the NY Jets, SD Padres, Milwaukee Brewers, Buffalo Bills and Iowa basketball would have folded up shop years ago. Truth is, people still pack the stands.

But going back to your original point. You said UK fans only have basketball to look forward to, that's why UK fans are on here year round (just like you are). I'm just pointing out the fact that your comment is completely false.

But to further my point, KU fans have one collegiate sport going for them and that's basketball, well, that's about to become a very long walk through a very dark cloud. So needless to say, I was a bit miffed by your comment.

Again, my original point stands. Most Kentuckians have had little to brag about for 20+ years other than the 12 title. And this is why you continue to talk about it like it happened yesterday. Feels like I see a “ran out of time” reference at least every other day. Laughing

The point was never that Kentucky people don’t enjoy going to Bengals games.

It continues to be funny that you act like Kentucky football is impressive to anyone.

Last edited:
Same thing with the Cheifs. He was probably a Rams and Cardinals fan at that time though.

He'll probably change his name to @wichita_basketball_fan_1 here in a few months.

I’ve lived in or around KC my whole life but I’m a St Louis fan. Yet don’t claim the Cardinals.

Another brilliant take.

Last edited:
Again, my original point stands. Most Kentuckians have had little to brag about for 20+ years other than the 12 title. And this is why you continue to talk about it like it happened yesterday. Feels like I see a “ran out of time” reference at least every other day. Laughing

The point was never that Kentucky people don’t enjoy going to Bengals games.

It continues to be funny that you act like Kentucky football is impressive to anyone.
I haven't seen a reference to 2012 in quite some time. I think you're really exaggerating that. UK fans talk more about 2015 than 2012 and it isn't close.

So now you're trying to say that your original post was about things UK fans can brag about? I'll go back and look, but I am pretty sure you said "UK fans only have college basketball to look forward to… ". That has nothing to do with bragging rights.

Yup, post #91 on page 3. You're moving goalposts bruh.

I’ve lived in or around KC my whole life but I’m a St Louis fan. Yet don’t claim the Cardinals.

Another brilliant take.

Loosen your collar and grow a personality, once you do that, you will understand that I was yanking your chain. I don't really believe that you are about to.become WSU's #1 fan.

I haven't seen a reference to 2012 in quite some time. I think you're really exaggerating that. UK fans talk more about 2015 than 2012 and it isn't close.

So now you're trying to say that your original post was about things UK fans can brag about? I'll go back and look, but I am pretty sure you said "UK fans only have college basketball to look forward to… ". That has nothing to do with bragging rights.

Yup, post #91 on page 3. You're moving goalposts bruh.

No, that post does not say that. It says "college b-ball is all they have." You're adding your own assumption. What I meant was "all they have to brag about."

ADVERTISEMENT