ADVERTISEMENT

More Passionate: UK Fans or the Folks That Dislike UK Fans?

Random UK Fan

Dec 10, 2018
It always makes me chuckle when I see threads about UK, and how it often turns into a board brawl. And before anyone accuses me of stating that UK should be the center of attention, I'm not. I just enjoy the passion and entertainment that subject brings out here from everyone. We UK fans can be an obnoxious bunch to be sure.

So who would you say is more passionate (arrogant?)? UK fans - or the people that revile them?

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Your fan base doesn't take criticism well and you think everyone is out to get you. Also when other teams are talked about more than UK you guys have a tendency to get worked up about it.
To be fair, there's a difference between criticism and making accusations, bringing up scandals from 30 and 60 years ago and calling our coach a cheater.

Saying "this UK team really isn’t any good and is probably sweet 16 at best" is a whole lot different than "your coach is a sleazebag that put two programs on probation and pays players". One is criticism and one is just meant to get under the skin of UK fans.

To be fair, there's a difference between criticism and making accusations, bringing up scandals from 30 and 60 years ago and calling our coach a cheater.

Saying "this UK team really isn’t any good and is probably sweet 16 at best" is a whole lot different than "your coach is a sleazebag that put two programs on probation and pays players". One is criticism and one is just meant to get under the skin of UK fans.

I wasn't talking about scandals as the reason why I think that way.

Reactions: jhmossy
I wasn't talking about scandals as the reason why I think that way.
It just seems that most of the negative things that are said about UK on this board are more similar to attacks than criticisms.

It just depends on who it is. I know us UK fans can be over the top, but, depending on who is involved in the conversation, a lot of the times you know the slam is coming. Baracus and UNC fan never hesitate to throw shade at UK and the BBN.

"What came first, the chicken or the egg?" applies here.

I'm sure we deserve a lot of what we get.

It just seems that most of the negative things that are said about UK on this board are more similar to attacks than criticisms.

It just depends on who it is. I know us UK fans can be over the top, but, depending on who is involved in the conversation, a lot of the times you know the slam is coming. Baracus and UNC fan never hesitate to throw shade at UK and the BBN.

"What came first, the chicken or the egg?" applies here.

I'm sure we deserve a lot of what we get.

Like you guys don't do the same to others? All fan bases throw shade at everyone, it's what fans do and some can get over the top so I agree with you on that. KU and UL fans here are getting killed over the drama they're going through and what fan base is leading the charge? When UNC was going through theirs who was leading the charge? I'm saying in some instances you guys can dish it out but you can't take it and the result of that is threads get off topic and the whizzing matches start.

Last edited:
Like you guys don't do the same to others? All fan bases throw shade at everyone, it's what fans do and some can get over the top so I agree with you on that. KU and UL fans here are getting killed over the drama they're going through and what fan base is leading the charge? When UNC was going through theirs who was leading the charge? I'm saying in some instances you guys can dish it out but you can't take and the result of that is threads get off topic and the whizzing matches start.

Precisely.

What I do is no different than what half the Kentucky fans here do. But somehow it’s better if it’s a collective effort.

Hell, I ignore about 75% of Kentucky-related crap on here. But it’s impossible to ignore all of it as they infiltrate every thread. Many of them can’t grasp this concept and choose to dish out the “obsessed” label, as they wait for the next KU, Louisville, UNC, Duke (hell, just fill in the blank) post to pounce on.

it is funny
the posters that attack UK the hardest are the posters whose schools are in NCAA trouble as we speak

as for the unc fan with the fake wife, he just seems very unstable and i have had him on ignore for a long time

UK fans are both. They are extremely sensitive and paranoid as a whole, which is Cal was such a perfect fit. He plays to their out to get me it's us against the world mentality. They are also ridiculously passionate and a great fanbase overall. Not just for basketball either. There are a lot of great UK posters here who make this place better though. Wouldn't be the same if they weren't here.

Well to be fair I hated and attacked UK far before the scandals and will when they are nothing but a memory.

on this board I’d say it’s pretty close, But in real life it’s UK fans’ passion/crazy by a mile. I doubt anyone on this board has made death threats towards anyone over UK nor attempted to run a referees side business into the ground bc he made a bad call in favor of uk. Nor harass kids on twitter for choosing another school etc.

But with that said the UK hate is definitely real, and for me personally it has more to do with the “fanatic/arrogant” portion of the fan base than hate towards any uk player or coach. But again you have to realize I live in a small town in wky that’s probably 90% uk fans, so my bias is stems from the fact that every average asshole, dumbass, racist, liar, thief etc that I know has a 90% chance of being a UK fan, just bc where I’m from. And don’t get me wrong I have more friends in my life that are Uk fans, than people I dislike, but in my mind it doesn’t make up for the “assholes”. I know that’s not fair to the average UK fan, or the fan base as a whole, it’s just my life experience.

I chose to be a Louisville fan mainly just to be different, but also bc UK sketchy history regarding racism. But mainly bc I was tired of hearing how great UK is/was 24/7 365 from people (like 60 year old women at church) that don’t even know all the rules of the sport of basketball. The same fans that will tell you the refs cost UK the game, but when asked which call or calls they didn’t agree with have no clue besides, “we were getting mugged all game long and we would get called for a foul for breathing on the other team”

Also, and I might be way off base, but there seems to be a fragment of the UK fan base that thinks they are better people or better at life because they are a UK fan, especially when UK is good, which is way more often than not. Like they tie the success of the basketball team together with their self worth or with the personal success in life, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with the program other than being a fan.

my two biggest pet peeves are people that brag all the time and people that think they are better than other people whether bc of race, wealth, social status, whatever. And that fits the bill with many UK fans I know personally.

But honestly I think all the bad pub the UK fan base receives is a bit much, bc they are basically getting blowback all the time bc there are sooooooo many uk fans. Every fan base has their fringe lunatics, but when u have arguably the largest fan base, statistics show you will also have more fanatics/lunatics. And then social media came along and made those type of fans the face of bbn bc they are fun to point and laugh at, imo.

UK fans are both. They are extremely sensitive and paranoid as a whole, which is Cal was such a perfect fit. He plays to their out to get me it's us against the world mentality. They are also ridiculously passionate and a great fanbase overall. Not just for basketball either. There are a lot of great UK posters here who make this place better though. Wouldn't be the same if they weren't here.

mehhh idk on the not just for basketball, sure they’ve been packing into Kroger Field the last two years, bc it’s been the most exciting two years for UK football in the last 20. Before that though I’d say there were just as many bama football/uk basketball fans across the state as true uk football fans. But If stoops can keep up the good times maybe UK football will become more than an excuse to get drunk until basketball season starts, and he is recruiting extremely well.

Just playing in the SEC cripples their ceiling imo. Sure the money is nice, but it’s gonna be hard to make a splash on the national stage when any given year the best you can hope for is being the 4-7th best team in your own conference, with very little chance of ever even reaching the conference championship game, and they play in the East, which is the weaker of the two divisions.

And yes I’m aware most all fan bases are gonna come out to support a winner more than if they are a conference doormat, Louisville fans have proved as much while petrino put our program in the toilet. UK had been that sec doormat along with vandy for so long though that before the last couple of years, most fans didn’t have the same passion/pride in uk football like they did basketball. I could meet someone and they’d talk UK basketball with me for days, but when it came around to football, they would either just flat out say they don’t follow or care about uks football team bc they suck or Pivot the convo to being in the SEC and the SECs success as their talking point. Or have a completely different “football school” in general.

Might as well have titled this “Get your shots in at UK and it’s fans ITT”

Some of y’all act like Kentucky fans touched you as a kid. It’s a message board. Grow a sack.
If you had a sack you would’ve left this thread alone.

Boom!

Reactions: UL_1986
Might as well have titled this “Get your shots in at UK and it’s fans ITT”

Some of y’all act like Kentucky fans touched you as a kid. It’s a message board. Grow a sack.

that’s the sensitivity coming out that’s being alluded to. There have been positive things said about Uk fans in this thread as well, but it’s the negative ones that get to you. Sometimes ya gotta roll with the punches. It’ll be ok, as a Louisville fan, we’ve taken thousands this decade, most warranted/self inflicted. but I get it any true fan should want to stand up for their university and fan base, but that’s what these Rivals national boards are for imo, taking shots at ur rivals. If u don’t want to ever read anything negative about UK or bbn stick to rafters.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Well to be fair I hated and attacked UK far before the scandals and will when they are nothing but a memory.

on this board I’d say it’s pretty close, But in real life it’s UK fans’ passion/crazy by a mile. I doubt anyone on this board has made death threats towards anyone over UK nor attempted to run a referees side business into the ground bc he made a bad call in favor of uk. Nor harass kids on twitter for choosing another school etc.

But with that said the UK hate is definitely real, and for me personally it has more to do with the “fanatic/arrogant” portion of the fan base than hate towards any uk player or coach. But again you have to realize I live in a small town in wky that’s probably 90% uk fans, so my bias is stems from the fact that every average asshole, dumbass, racist, liar, thief etc that I know has a 90% chance of being a UK fan, just bc where I’m from. And don’t get me wrong I have more friends in my life that are Uk fans, than people I dislike, but in my mind it doesn’t make up for the “assholes”. I know that’s not fair to the average UK fan, or the fan base as a whole, it’s just my life experience.

I chose to be a Louisville fan mainly just to be different, but also bc UK sketchy history regarding racism. But mainly bc I was tired of hearing how great UK is/was 24/7 365 from people (like 60 year old women at church) that don’t even know all the rules of the sport of basketball. The same fans that will tell you the refs cost UK the game, but when asked which call or calls they didn’t agree with have no clue besides, “we were getting mugged all game long and we would get called for a foul for breathing on the other team”

Also, and I might be way off base, but there seems to be a fragment of the UK fan base that thinks they are better people or better at life because they are a UK fan, especially when UK is good, which is way more often than not. Like they tie the success of the basketball team together with their self worth or with the personal success in life, even though they have absolutely nothing to do with the program other than being a fan.

my two biggest pet peeves are people that brag all the time and people that think they are better than other people whether bc of race, wealth, social status, whatever. And that fits the bill with many UK fans I know personally.

But honestly I think all the bad pub the UK fan base receives is a bit much, bc they are basically getting blowback all the time bc there are sooooooo many uk fans. Every fan base has their fringe lunatics, but when u have arguably the largest fan base, statistics show you will also have more fanatics/lunatics. And then social media came along and made those type of fans the face of bbn bc they are fun to point and laugh at, imo.
Very well said, if you don’t mind me asking, where in Western my do you live?
I can walk down the street in a UNC shirt & pass people wearing Louisville, Indiana, Etc... & they never say one word.
I can pass someone in a UK shirt & they have something to say 90% of the time.
Most of its harmless but it gets old day after day after day.
I don’t hate the university or most of the players.
Hell, my son has been to two baseball camps at UK & talks with Coach Coggin occasionally.
The fans are a different story.

I live in a small ass county called Trigg County. It’s right in between Hopkinsville and Murray on the Tennessee line. A large part of LBL is technically part of Trigg County if u are somewhat familiar with the area.

And I feel you, if I’m in a bad mood for whatever reason, I won’t even wear Louisville gear in public bc I don’t want to be an asshole when someone inevitably takes a shot at my wardrobe/school of choice. I should also add my fandom was solidified my first couple year of high school, bc my older sister attended U of L and I would frequently go party with her on weekends, or go up and catch a game. I could have attended UL (or any instate school for that matter) but I’m just not a big city type of person. The traffic alone gives me anxiety, not to mention everything else that goes along with living in a big city. I’m admittedly pretty introverted and don’t like going many places that have large crowds. I joke with my friends that I invented social distancing before corona was even a thing lol.

I would say Owensboro or madisonville are probably the largest cities in the state I would feel comfortable living in. Murray was perfect sized, for me anyways. Not as podunk as Cadiz/trigg, but not as large as Lexington or Louisville. But I know everyone is different and has different likes/dislikes etc, some people from larger cities would probably be absolutely miserable if they lived in the rural part of the state that I do, just as I would if I lived in a big city/metropolis.

Last edited:

All you need to do is look at the 8-page SARR thread (I posted a total of one sentence), the “Dear Kentucky” thread (0 posts), or the thread about the Kentucky/Indiana series (0 posts). Those are the Kentucky-centered threads that I see at a glance on the first page.

Now count the number of Kentucky posts in the KU and Louisville threads.RollLaugh

that’s the sensitivity coming out that’s being alluded to. There have been positive things said about Uk fans in this thread as well, but it’s the negative ones that get to you. Sometimes ya gotta roll with the punches. It’ll be ok, as a Louisville fan, we’ve taken thousands this decade, most warranted/self inflicted. but I get it any true fan should want to stand up for their university and fan base, but that’s what these Rivals national boards are for imo, taking shots at ur rivals. If u don’t want to ever read anything negative about UK or bbn stick to rafters.
“You’re sensitive”

* Responds to a sentence with a paragraph *

Your posts make me cringe.

Quit being so sensitive, little guy!

He chose non-racism over wins.

A man who isn’t afraid to do the right thing!

Last edited:
You guys are more sensitive than passionate and it's not even close.

Okay okay. At the risk of being a point and case I have to point out the irony/hypocrisy here.

UNC fans on here come running like moths to a flame at even the slightest mention of AFAM and fake classes, and at one point were even lobbying to have any posts or topics about it moderated. And are calling OTHER fanbases out for being sensitive. I’m sorry. I don’t have anything against any of you. But that nearly made me spit my drink out.

Now, carry on.

I don’t put people on ignore. That’s a bitch move

I agree, guess You will have to cringe when I post idk. I’m long winded, I’ve apologized before, but it is what it is. I like to explain myself and my opinions rather than just throw em out there, but to each it’s own.

At least one thing I know we can agree on is at least I don’t list Louisville’s entire roster in each thread along with their height, weight, and high school accolades lol.

Okay okay. At the risk of being a point and case I have to point out the irony/hypocrisy here.

UNC fans on here come running like moths to a flame at even the slightest mention of AFAM and fake classes, and at one point were even lobbying to have any posts or topics about it moderated. And are calling OTHER fanbases out for being sensitive. I’m sorry. I don’t have anything against any of you. But that nearly made me spit my drink out.

Now, carry on.

Like I said before some of you can dish it out but you can't take it, it looks like you're one of them.

Jimbo, fwiw (absolutely nothing) but ur my second favorite UK poster right behind Lurker.

Sorry I’m ur least favorite UL poster, but I’ll overcome it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimboBBN

Now, carry on.
Not to answer for him but I respond to the AFAM threads because I know it pisses people off that UNC was found innocent.
Not sure what you’re talking about with “having threads moderated.”

None taken.

ur number 3 ;) and round out my list of UK posters on here I like off the top of my head. Really the only thing jimbo has on ya is that he routinely rustles Bert lol.

I dislike some more than others, but y’all 3 always add intelligent conversation, rarely regurgitate the same old arguments, aren’t total sunshine pumpers, and can admit when you are wrong, which some people have trouble with.

luckily for me I’m wrong all the time, so I have no problem owning it.

Last edited:
I agree, guess You will have to cringe when I post idk. I’m long winded, I’ve apologized before, but it is what it is. I like to explain myself and my opinions rather than just throw em out there, but to each it’s own.

At least one thing I know we can agree on is at least I don’t list Louisville’s entire roster in each thread along with their height, weight, and high school accolades lol.
I’m just giving you shit

Reactions: Villian07
Not to answer for him but I respond to the AFAM threads because I know it pisses people off that UNC was found innocent.
Not sure what you’re talking about with “having threads moderated.”

some unc fans wanted mods to combine threads??? about the AFAM idk why but that was definitely a topic of discussion on here for a while.

Last edited:
ur number 3 ;) and round out my list of UK posters on here I like off the top of my head. Really the only thing jimbo has on ya is that he routinely rustles Bert lol.

I dislike some more than others, but y’all 3 always add intelligent conversation, rarely regurgitate the same old arguments, aren’t total sunshine pumpers, and can admit when you are wrong, which some people have trouble with.

luckily for me I’m wrong all the time, so I have no problem owning it.

The OP, Jimbo and Lurker are good people.

some unc fans wanted mods to delete threads about the AFAM scandal. Idk why and I’m not trying to team up against you, but that was definitely a topic of discussion on here for a while.
I don’t remember seeing that, not saying you’re wrong.
I’ve bitched about the mods, especially two of them, for censoring some of my post but then allowing people to take shot after shot at me.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t care what people think or say but don’t only sensor one side of it.
Go up & read the 50 greatest teams of all time thread... I got banned from it for stating my opinion that programs should lose points For being put on probation, including UNC.
People took shot after shot at then when it got off topic, I got banned.

ADVERTISEMENT