ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s play a different recruiting game!

Scotty00

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2008
Drop your hate, jokes, jealously or whatever you wanna call it and play along. You are a top 10 recruit and you can go anywhere in the nation. From a pure basketball standpoint what coach and school’s would you want to recruit you? Where would you want to go on your OV? What would be your deciding factors in picking a school? After that, tell which of the 5 schools you would pick and why! Again, leave the hate and jealousy out of this. Just a little fun during this virus crap! Oh, and try not to be to much of a homer! To throw another wrench in there let’s say leave your favorite team out! Makes it a little harder. Here’s mine in no particular order....

Duke- Coach K, Tradition, having a legit shot at an NCAA title, playing in CIS with all the Duke fans going crazy!

Florida- Little bit of tradition, I like Mike White, I think Florida could be up there with a few other schools that are close to bluebloood status. Great school and campus.

UNC- Tradition, Great Coach, Legit shot at a Title, Nice campus.

Mich St.- Great Coach, tradition, fansbase is solid. Chance at a title, Game atmosphere is also solid.

Kansas- Tradition, Good Coach, game atmosphere is crazy good and you will have a chance at a title!

With all that being said I went with UNC! Nice campus, tradition and a chance at a natty done it for me.

Now, while I go shower somebody else step up and go!

Reactions: Montana81
Drop your hate, jokes, jealously or whatever you wanna call it and play along. You are a top 10 recruit and you can go anywhere in the nation. From a pure basketball standpoint what coach and school’s would you want to recruit you? Where would you want to go on your OV? What would be your deciding factors in picking a school? After that, tell which of the 5 schools you would pick and why! Again, leave the hate and jealousy out of this. Just a little fun during this virus crap! Oh, and try not to be to much of a homer! To throw another wrench in there let’s say leave your favorite team out! Makes it a little harder. Here’s mine in no particular order....

Duke- Coach K, Tradition, having a legit shot at an NCAA title, playing in CIS with all the Duke fans going crazy!

Florida- Little bit of tradition, I like Mike White, I think Florida could be up there with a few other schools that are close to bluebloood status. Great school and campus.

Mich St.- Great Coach, tradition, fansbase is solid. Chance at a title, Game atmosphere is also solid.

Kansas- Tradition, Good Coach, game atmosphere is crazy good and you will have a chance at a title!

With all that being said I went with UNC! Nice campus, tradition and a chance at a natty done it for me.

Gainesville is a shithole, FYI.

Depends on how good I am. Top 5 recruit, I’ll go to Duke. ESPN’s darling, a ton of exposure and great fans and coach.

Top 15, I think I’d go to a school where I would be “the guy”. I want to be the best player on the team to boost my draft stock. Colin Sexton, Fultz, Garland, etc. I’ve seen too many top 25 guys go to Blue bloods and have to come back for year 2 or drop their stock.

Depends on what type of player I am.

poing guard

Duke, Kansas, UNC, Gonzaga, Hawaii(they’re not really in consideration but I’m getting 2 days of a week long vacation with my folks during winter break paid for SmokinSmile).

Duke is the safe bet. It’s down to them and Gonzaga. I’m an outside the box guy and I go with the Zags. I like they’re offense. Few seems like a players coach. And I’ll look like a top 5 pick destroying mid major comp for half the season.

Shooting guard:

Kansas, Duke, Villanova, Iona, Florida State

Tough call here. Can’t decide between Kansas, duke, nova and Florida state. Florida States the home school. Hamilton has a sneaky good track record with player development. Duke is duke. They’ve got playing time. I like what Kelly Oubre from Kansas did in the league this last season. And nova has guard friendly offense and has put a lot of guys in the league lately. Can’t decide. They won’t leave me alone. I say **** it and go play for Pitino. I’m the man from day one. Playing in New York. Donovan Mitchell is my favorite player. And when he turns Iona into a powerhouse they’re going to build a statue of me on campus.

Small Forward

Duke, Kansas, UNC, Arizona, LSU

I take unofficials first. List changes. Now it’s LSU, Zona, Kansas, Memphis and Auburn.

Duke fans are blowing up my timeline. Something about “strong ass offers?”. I don’t know what that means. My aau coaches and trainers just told me I should drop duke and UNC and add Memphis and auburn because Roy and K would hold me back. I’ve known them for 4 years now. So practically my whole life so I trust them and listen. I don’t do anything without consulting them. Parents staying out of it mostly because they don’t follow college b-ball. My trainer shows up to my house to tell me in person I’m going to LSU. Damn that’s a nice new car he’s got. I commit to them in the fall.

Power forward

Tennessee, Auburn, Arkansas, Memphis, Florida

I’m from the south. I wanna play games close to home. It comes down to auburn and Tennessee. Auburn has playing time but I wanna win and they’re projected to finish dead last after losing most of their rotation. I pick Tennessee. I wanted Kentucky but they didn’t have a spot and Cal spoke highly of coach Barnes.

Center

Kansas, Duke, UNC, Arizona, Villanova

It comes down to Duke and Kansas. Immediate playing time at both. I’d start and play as I can right away. Duke is the safe bet. If basketball doesn’t work out I know I’ll be taken care of. A cushy broadcasting job at ESPN is a nice fall back. I commit to the blue devils.

This is long and I don’t expect anyone to read it all. I called into work tonight and got bored. Sorry

Honestly, if I was a top tier recruit I wouldn't go to a typical school. I wouldn't want to just follow the footsteps of all the other guys and team up to be "unstoppable". I'd rather go somewhere and become a force. Change that school forever. I guess I just have so much more character that I am willing to take the hard path.

5240034401_0e03636f19.jpg

57232045_10.jpg

cheer_routine_pyramid.jpg

GettyImages-467321904.jpg

Depends, if I'm a projected lottery pick, I'm going somewhere where my weaknesses won’t be exposed. I wouldn't want to go to a school where everything is on my shoulders and I'm the focus of every defense we face.

I would go play with a bunch of other talented players in an effort to boost my strengths.

I also wouldn't want to go through Navy Seal training during every practice. I would want to work hard amd enjoy my one year in college, but not kill myself in the gym when I'm already a lottery pick.

So I would go to Duke, UNC or UCLA. I added UCLA, because they are a blue blood, but the pressure is low and the college life out there would be awesome. Plus, nobody watches west coast basketball, so if my flaws are unearthed, nobody is there to see them.

It’s hard for me say anyone besides FSU, not because I’m a homer, but because I have gotten to know Hamilton, Stan Jones, and CY so well that it is an unfair advantage. I know how incredible they are at mentoring you as a person, not just a basketball player. Other coaches probably do too, but I KNOW Hamilton does.

So I’m gonna remove FSU from possibility because otherwise it would just be them.

Here’s the 5 I’d go take a visit to and hope to learn more about how I fit in:

1) Stanford — If I get hurt, I always have that degree

2) Kentucky — He knows how to handle and mentor top 10 kids

3) Gonzaga - Fun system, essentially guaranteed to make Big Dance, track record for development, biggest sport in town

4) TCU - Fort Worth is fantastic, the campus is beautiful, and the girls are better than the campus

5) Michigan State - Tremendous coach, tradition, and all that.

I would also have Duke in consideration but I don’t need to visit because I’ve been on that campus a bunch and Coach K speaks for himself.

At this point, why would any top 10 recruit go to UF? Mike White hasn't proven he can develop a single guy into a draft pick. Forget a lotto pick, I'm talking just being a draft pick.

At this point, why would any top 10 recruit go to UF? Mike White hasn't proven he can develop a single guy into a draft pick. Forget a lotto pick, I'm talking just being a draft pick.
His dad should fire Coach K and hire him, imo.

Reactions: GE Nole
Probably Duke or UK, maybe UCLA if I'm into the Cali thing and looking for a big city over a college town. Kansas isn't appealing to me; the state not the university.

Reactions: UL_1986
Miami, damn everything else, if i was good enough the nba will find me, I mean we saw bk to bk #1 picks not even make the tourney. So id set up shop in Miami.

First post since the baby came last week. Lots of free time to watch tv, not so much to post.

I'll take the homer pick out of the equation. My five official visits would be the following:

Kansas- Powerhouse Program + Phog Allen Fieldhouse.
Indiana- Assembly Hall might be the loudest arena in the country. I'd like to see better postseason results from Miller before committing to IU, however.
Gonzaga- Coaching, great fans, high tempo offense, culture of excellence
Arizona State- semi-decent program + chickas
Clemson- sort of the default hometown team for me. I grew up only 90 minutes away. I've always liked Clemson. And could be persuaded to sign there if I believed in the coaching staff.

First post since the baby came last week. Lots of free time to watch tv, not so much to post.

I'll take the homer pick out of the equation. My five official visits would be the following:

Indiana- Assembly Hall might be the loudest arena in the country. I'd like to see better postseason results from Miller before committing to IU, however.
Clemson- sort of the default hometown team for me. I grew up only 90 minutes away. I've always liked Clemson. And could be persuaded to sign there if I believed in the coaching staff.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Jaycg15 and GE Nole

Congrats @dukedevilz! Boy or girl?

Assuming Brad Brownell is still at Clemson, I’m guessing you won’t be signing there lol.

Reactions: kyjeff1

Then, once you were done with those 5 visits, you would just do the smart thing and commit to UK sight unseen. I gotcha, I read-ya. ;)

Congrats on the new addition to your family.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'ld pick Auburn.. Pearl would probably be fun to play for. Gives you some freedom on shot selections. Plus it provides me a chance to play 2 sports, football which was my main sport,

If you were a top 10 recruit, I imagine that you #1 goal would be picking a school that would take your game to the next level. Rick Barnes is excellent at player development. The smart kid would choose Tennessee.

It is about getting into the NBA and being the best player you can be. It isn't about a bunch of rah rah stuff.

If you were a top 10 recruit, I imagine that you #1 goal would be picking a school that would take your game to the next level. Rick Barnes is excellent at player development. The smart kid would choose Tennessee.

It is about getting into the NBA and being the best player you can be. It isn't about a bunch of rah rah stuff.

I like Rick Barnes. Texas was silly to fire him. But I’m not sure he’s any better at developing top recruits than Calipari, Coach K, Hamilton, Wright, Izzo, or others. When was the last time Barnes had a one and done?

Why are one-and-dones the barometer for developing players. Not all but some if not most one and dones would have got drafted out of high school if not for the rule.

Isn’t it more impressive to mold a three star recruit into a first round draft pick in 3-4 years, than coaching a kid for 8 months, that walked in the gym a stud before you ever said a word to him.

Also, is there any coach that’s known for NOT being good at developing players? Coaches coach players to make them better. In middle school, HS,, college, and the pros.

Why are one-and-dones the barometer for developing players. Not all but some if not most one and dones would have got drafted out of high school if not for the rule.

Isn’t it more impressive to mold a three star recruit into a first round draft pick in 3-4 years, than coaching a kid for 8 months.

Also, is there any coach that’s known for NOT being good at developing players? Coaches coach players to make them better. In middle school, HS,, college, and the pros.
I'm glad we've had an influx of two/three year players. Hasn't done much for our tournament success as we've not been to a FF since '15, but it's nice to see players develop.

I like Rick Barnes. Texas was silly to fire him. But I’m not sure he’s any better at developing top recruits than Calipari, Coach K, Hamilton, Wright, Izzo, or others. When was the last time Barnes had a one and done?
How about changing the question to when has Barnes taken 2 & 3 stars and beaten top recruits coached by others? The only coach you mentioned that has any kinda sampling size is UK. Barnes came into a crappy UT program and has taken a 7-5 advantage over UK during the 6 yr period he has been here. That is remarkable.

Barnes has a highly rated class coming in this year, so we will better be able to answer your question then.

How about changing the question to when has Barnes taken 2 & 3 stars and beaten top recruits coached by others? The only coach you mentioned that has any kinda sampling size is UK. Barnes came into a crappy UT program and has taken a 7-5 advantage over UK during the 6 yr period he has been here. That is remarkable.

Barnes has a highly rated class coming in this year, so we will better be able to answer your question then.
Barnes still has a losing record to UK and Calipari.

time frames are a crutch for the weak.

BTW, SEC Champs. UT finished 6 games back.

UT fan's entire success of a season is whether or not they beat or split with UK.

"Was it a good season?"

"We beat UK, so yes!"

You are proof this is real.

Last edited:
Barnes still has a losing record to UK and Calipari.

time frames are a crutch for the weak.

BTW, SEC Champs. UT finished 6 games back.
Barnes has been at UT for 5 years. Despite the fact that he did not recruit his initial players and coach Cal was established at UK, Barnes has gotten the better of the engagements.

You should be ashamed to even make that argument. John Fulkerson would not have made UK's team if the first two hundred recruits UK had looked at refused to come to UK. But, the "incredible Fulk" crushed the UK 5 stars in the Cats Lair (Lexington).

This was the purest case of player development that I have ever witnessed.

Barnes has been at UT for 5 years. Despite the fact that he did not recruit his initial players and coach Cal was established at UK, Barnes has gotten the better of the engagements.

You should be ashamed to even make that argument. John Fulkerson would not have made UK's team if the first two hundred recruits UK had looked at refused to come to UK. But, the "incredible Fulk" crushed the UK 5 stars in the Cats Lair (Lexington).

This was the purest case of player development that I have ever witnessed.
Calipari took his first team to an E8 and 35-3 record.

And yeah, your boy had a good game.Congrats. What did he average for the year, or are you just using UK as a barometer?

Don't get me wrong della, I like your hard on for UK. I don't ever see you talk smack to other fans. UK has got you by the boo boo.

Reactions: Scotty00
Calipari took his first team to an E8 and 35-3 record.

And yeah, your boy had a good game.Congrats. What did he average for the year, or are you just using UK as a barometer?
Sure Cal did, but UK was an established CBB power before Cal got there. It is a lot easier to build something if the parts are already in place. Barnes had to fabricate the parts and that is exactly what he did through player development, which is my premise for why a highly rated recruit should come to Tennessee. (what the thread is about)

I brought up UK (Cal) because of the coaches GENole mentioned, Cal and UK are the only ones we have a reasonable sampling size of for the comparison.:)

Fulk steadily got better as the season progressed. I can dig up his last year's stats and compare them to this year, but is that really necessary? You already know he greatly improved.

Sure Cal did, but UK was an established CBB power before Cal got there. It is a lot easier to build something if the parts are already in place. Barnes had to fabricate the parts and that is exactly what he did through player development, which is my premise for why a highly rated recruit should come to Tennessee. (what the thread is about)

I brought up UK (Cal) because of the coaches GENole mentioned, Cal and UK are the only ones we have a reasonable sampling size of for the comparison.:)
I agree UT wasn't shit since the 70's. Barnes has made them respectable again. With the addition his recruiting class, that's not going away anytime soon.

Do you guys still hang that Elite 8 banner?

tennessee-banner.jpg

You should make one for 7-5 against UK in the last 12 games. It's basically on par,if not, means more, than reaching an Elite 8. You're proof of that.

I'll just pretend that I wouldn't pick Illinois and try to do what Ayo is doing for us right now.

Decision based on locations I'd enjoy:
UCLA
Oregon
SDSU
Arizona State
Clemson

Decision based on how much I'd make:
Arizona
Oregon
Kansas
UNC
Auburn

Decision based on basketball alone:
Duke
UNC
KU
MSU
TT

Decision based on trying to be as miserable as possible:
Iowa
Kansas St.
Purdue
Missouri
BYU

I agree UT wasn't shit since the 70's. Barnes has made them respectable again. With the addition his recruiting class, that's not going away anytime soon.

Do you guys still hang that Elite 8 banner?
R-4183346-1555808646-3040.jpeg.jpg

Lurker,I like you, I really do. ( I mean that):)

Please don't de-evolve to living in the past like y'all's old man of the board. You will never be happy if your only joy from UK basketball comes from watching vhs tapes of UK in the 40's and 50's. You have never heard me deny that UK has had a rich past, but the past needs to stay where it belongs, the past.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Lurker,I like you, I really do. ( I mean that):)

Please don't de-evolve to living in the past like y'all's old man of the board. You will never be happy if your only joy from UK basketball comes from watching vhs tapes of UK in the 40's and 50's. You have never heard me deny that UK has had a rich past, but the past needs to stay where it belongs, the past.
thanks and wtf are you talking about with the second paragraph? I was talking about UT's past.

Also, UK has 4 titles in my lifetime. 7-5 is talking about the past as well.

thanks and wtf are you talking about with the second paragraph? I was talking about UT's past.

Also, UK has 4 titles in my lifetime. 7-5 is talking about the past as well.
I wasn't aware 2012 or 2015 was that long ago. 4 Final Fours and a title this decade. Kentucky has accomplished more in 8 years than Tennessee has in their entire history. That's fun to think about

I wasn't aware 2012 or 2015 was that long ago. 4 Final Fours and a title this decade. Kentucky has accomplished more in 8 years than Tennessee has in their entire history. That's fun to think about
But, if you take only part of Barnes history at UT, he has a 7-5 record against UK. Some would think that would translate to overall success, but it hasn't in their case.

It must sting seeing your grip of power slowly slip away no matter how tightly you squeeze to maintain it.

Hi Jimbo!! Good morning.:)

Reactions: JimboBBN

Isn’t it more impressive to mold a three star recruit into a first round draft pick in 3-4 years, than coaching a kid for 8 months, that walked in the gym a stud before you ever said a word to him.

The hypothetical asked was being a top 10 recruit. So that’s what people responded to.

If the hypothetical said you were a three star recruit, then I would have answered differently. If I’m a 3 star recruit and want to maximize my chance at going to the NBA, right now there are only two coaches I’d consider—Leonard Hamilton and Chris Beard.

As to your second question, Mike White and Shaka Smart are two off the top of my head who have shown no real ability to develop guys.

But, if you take only part of Barnes history at UT, he has a 7-5 record against UK. Some would think that would translate to overall success, but it hasn't in their case.
Lurker,

I would bring up Barnes other experience at Tennessee if he had some, but he has only been here for 5 years.

You need to remember, the thread is about recruiting and my example was in answer to GGnoles question. He mentioned Cal among others, I didn't.

So, it is merely a coincidence that we are discussing UT/UK.:)

ADVERTISEMENT