ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s play a different recruiting game!

Lurker,

I would bring up Barnes other experience at Tennessee if he had some, but he has only been here for 5 years.

You need to remember, the thread is about recruiting and my example was in answer to GGnoles question. He mentioned Cal among others, I didn't.

So, it is merely a coincidence that we are discussing UT/UK.:)
Don't play a victim. You bring up UK more than UK fans bring up UT. I can link a link for example if you like.

Don't play a victim. You bring up UK more than UK fans bring up UT. I can link a link for example if you like.
I didn't claim to be a victim. I just showed you how the conversation started. It is easy enough to verify as all the posts are logged.

How about changing the question to when has Barnes taken 2 & 3 stars and beaten top recruits coached by others? The only coach you mentioned that has any kinda sampling size is UK. Barnes came into a crappy UT program and has taken a 7-5 advantage over UK during the 6 yr period he has been here. That is remarkable.

Barnes has a highly rated class coming in this year, so we will better be able to answer your question then.

I asked the one and done question because this thread was about being a top 10 recruit. Your own response said “if I were a top 10 recruit I’d want to pick a school to take me to the next level.”

So again, when was the last time he had a one and done? JJJ was a 5 star recruit this year, is he going to the next level?

And what do you mean that Calipari is the only coach with a sample size? Coach K? Tom Izzo? Hell, Leonard Hamilton?

Don't be hard on yourselves, there were men like Fulkerson standing in the way.
He plays better on the road in Lexington and everywhere else, than he does at home. His basketball career peaked that day. #kentuckyeffect

I asked the one and done question because this thread was about being a top 10 recruit. Your own response said “if I were a top 10 recruit I’d want to pick a school to take me to the next level.”

So again, when was the last time he had a one and done? JJJ was a 5 star recruit this year, is he going to the next level?

And what do you mean that Calipari is the only coach with a sample size? Coach K? Tom Izzo? Hell, Leonard Hamilton?
I answered it based on a top 10 recruit seeing a coach taking lessor players and witness them beating other top ten players. It would lead me to believe if the coach can mold those guys into world beaters imagine what he can do with me?

Last edited:
I answered it based on a top 10 recruit seeing a coach taking lessor players and witness them beating other top ten players. It would lead me to believe if the coach can mold toughs guys into world beaters imagine what he can do with me?
to be fair UT and UK split this year. So they lost as much as they won. I do like the optimism outlook though.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I answered it based on a top 10 recruit seeing a coach taking lessor players and witness them beating other top ten players. It would lead me to believe if the coach can mold toughs guys into world beaters imagine what he can do with me?

Sick Winking

Reactions: della
He plays better on the road in Lexington and everywhere else, than he does at home. His basketball career peaked that day. #kentuckyeffect
He score 22 the game before and he had scored 25 before the UK game of 27, so it was a good game, but he had other good games.

He score 22 the game before and he had scored 25 before the UK game of 27, so it was a good game, but he had other good games.
Look at his stats here, he does get up for games against UK. Still though 13ppg 6rpg is respectable. He's just gotta get over that superbowl mentality and bring it every game.

At this point, why would any top 10 recruit go to UF? Mike White hasn't proven he can develop a single guy into a draft pick. Forget a lotto pick, I'm talking just being a draft pick.
That kid that transferred to UF from Vatech made a mistake.

Last edited:

I think it’s a very different skill set taking someone who is a top 10 recruit and used to being the best player on the court most times they play, and getting them prepared for the NBA in one year, then it is to take a 3 star and develop them over 4 years.

However, going off your question of developing lower rated guys over time, Chris Beard and Leonard Hamilton would be my current top two choices by far. Rick Barnes would probably be in the next tier down, as would guys like Bruce Pearl, Tad Boyle, and Greg McDermott.

That kid that transferred to UK from Vatech made a mistake.

You mean UF? Blackshear?

I don’t think it was a mistake to leave VT since his head coach was gone. But I do think he chose wrong by going to UF. But hey, so did Scottie Lewis.

Reactions: kyjeff1 and della
Look at his stats here, he does get up for games against UK. Still though 13ppg 6rpg is respectable. He's just gotta get over that superbowl mentality and bring it every game.
IMO, Fulkerson is not a power conference caliber player based on talent. Bet you didn't expect me to say that.

I think it’s a very different skill set taking someone who is a top 10 recruit and used to being the best player on the court most times they play, and getting them prepared for the NBA in one year, then it is to take a 3 star and develop them over 4 years.

However, going off your question of developing lower rated guys over time, Chris Beard and Leonard Hamilton would be my current top two choices by far. Rick Barnes would probably be in the next tier down, as would guys like Bruce Pearl, Tad Boyle, and Greg McDermott.
You're welcome to your opinion, but Barnes was National coach of the year and Williams and Bone left for the NBA before their Sr season.

Reactions: GE Nole
You mean UF? Blackshear?

I don’t think it was a mistake to leave VT since his head coach was gone. But I do think he chose wrong by going to UF. But hey, so did Scottie Lewis.
I agree with that. UF was a bad choice.

You're welcome to your opinion, but Barnes was National coach of the year and Williams and Bone left for the NBA before their Sr season.

Williams and Bone are exactly why he’s in the second tier. That was a compliment, not a put down.

I'ld pick Auburn.. Pearl would probably be fun to play for. Gives you some freedom on shot selections. Plus it provides me a chance to play 2 sports, football which was my main sport,
I like this choice. A lot of people have soured on Bruce Pearl, but I really like him and his style of play.
His guys always play unbelievably hard and he likes to open the floor with lots if 3 point shooting.
Auburn is definitely a good one.

Reactions: olsonab
I like this choice. A lot of people have soured on Bruce Pearl, but I really like him and his style of play.
His guys always play unbelievably hard and he likes to open the floor with lots if 3 point shooting.
Auburn is definitely a good one.

I think this is a fair take. But I wouldn’t wanna be in Auburn.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Bone and Williams were both 3 stars.

Yes. But neither guy was drafted after just 1 or 2 years of playing. And Bone wasn’t a 1st round pick.

The question was, which 2 and 3 stars was Barnes developing into 1st round picks after just two years of playing?

Yes. But neither guy was drafted after just 1 or 2 years of playing. And Bone wasn’t a 1st round pick.

The question was, which 2 and 3 stars was Barnes developing into 1st round picks after just two years of playing?
You can't make a determination on who will be a 1st rd draft pick until the draft. Your question isn't a fair one.

Why not make whatever your point is. If it is you think another coach has a better argument for 1st tier, make the argument. Of course, realize that who is the best (at anything) is usually a subjective argument. That is why I told you earlier that "we will have to agree to disagree" and "you are welcome to your opinion".

You can't make a determination on who will be a 1st rd draft pick until the draft. Your question isn't a fair one.

Why not make whatever your point is. If it is you think another coach has a better argument for 1st tier, make the argument. Of course, realize that who is the best (at anything) is usually a subjective argument. That is why I told you earlier that "we will have to agree to disagree" and "you are welcome to your opinion".

I already said who I felt was better at developing 2 and 3 stars. Chris Beard and Leonard Hamilton.

Hamilton has turned guys like 2 and 3 stars like Bernard James, Mfiondu Kabengele, Devin Vassell into draft picks after two years. Mfiondu a first rounder and Vassell, who’s next best offers were Stetson and UNF, is a possible lotto pick. Malik Beasley was a one and done despite being a 4 star not even selected for the McDonalds All American game. Al Thornton was a lotto pick after being a two star.

Chris Beard turned 3 star Zhaire Smith into a one and done 1st rounder in 2018, and then 3 star Jarret Culver into a 2 and done lotto pick in 2019.

Reactions: Navy_Raider88
I already said who I felt was better at developing 2 and 3 stars. Chris Beard and Leonard Hamilton.

Hamilton has turned guys like 2 and 3 stars like Bernard James, Mfiondu Kabengele, Devin Vassell into draft picks after two years. Mfiondu a first rounder and Vassell, who’s next best offers were Stetson and UNF, is a possible lotto pick. Malik Beasley was a one and done despite being a 4 star not even selected for the McDonalds All American game. Al Thornton was a lotto pick after being a two star.

Chris Beard turned 3 star Zhaire Smith into a one and done 1st rounder in 2018, and then 3 star Jarret Culver into a 2 and done lotto pick in 2019.
Both are great coaches, so it comes down to opinions. I have not watched the careers of the players you mentioned. So, I don't know how rough they were in the beginning and how far they traveled.

I can tell you that John Fulkerson was beyond awful and the improvement is amazing.

I’ve been to Auburn a lot. My wife went to Auburn. It’s a nice enough town. Pretty campus. But not where I’d want to spend my 1-3 years.

Places like Auburn, Oxford, Athens etc are exactly the places I’d want to spend my college years. Small towns filled with beautiful girls, low crime, great school systems, bars galore, real atmospheres at athletic events etc....

Places like Auburn, Oxford, Athens etc are exactly the places I’d want to spend my college years. Small towns filled with beautiful girls, low crime, great school systems, bars galore, real atmospheres at athletic events etc....
Where were you born and raised?

I do like Athens. It’s got better topography than Auburn, IMO, so that’s a plus. Knoxville is even better.

I didn’t say I wanted to go to LA for my college experience. (Los Angeles, not lower Alabama). I just said I didn’t want to go to Auburn.

Like I said, I went there frequently in college. I was dating my now wife when she was at Auburn. I went to quite a few games and was in the stands to root on the home team to wins against top 10 Tennessee in 2003 and top 10 LSU in 2006. Fun times.

It just isn’t one of my top 5 places. Different strokes for different folks, obviously.

Where were you born and raised?

Born in Huntsville, raised and lived all over ranging from Montgomery, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham etc but have mainly lived on the Gulf Coast the last 20 or so years...

Born in Huntsville, raised and lived all over ranging from Montgomery, Atlanta, Nashville, Birmingham etc but have mainly lived on the Gulf Coast the last 20 or so years...
I think people that were raised in the south prefer the south because it is home. However, I think a kid from a big city would feel more at home in a big city.

I think people that were raised in the south prefer the south because it is home. However, I think a kid from a big city would feel more at home in a big city.
I'm from Kentucky, live in Memphis, I've never felt like Memphis was "home".

I do like Athens. It’s got better topography than Auburn, IMO, so that’s a plus. Knoxville is even better.

I didn’t say I wanted to go to LA for my college experience. (Los Angeles, not lower Alabama). I just said I didn’t want to go to Auburn.

Like I said, I went there frequently in college. I was dating my now wife when she was at Auburn. I went to quite a few games and was in the stands to root on the home team to wins against top 10 Tennessee in 2003 and top 10 LSU in 2006. Fun times.

It just isn’t one of my top 5 places. Different strokes for different folks, obviously.

No worries, I was really just interested in the reasoning, that’s all. All valid points and reasons that I can agree with as well.

That 2006 LSU game was a bloodbath....

Reactions: GE Nole
No worries, I was really just interested in the reasoning, that’s all. All valid points and reasons that I can agree with as well.

That 2006 LSU game was a bloodbath....

7-3 was the score I think? Super hard hitting.

ADVERTISEMENT