ADVERTISEMENT

How’s your golf game?

I only have a 60 and 51 degree wedge. Play a lot of open face shots from 80 in.

Load up the top of the bag?

Just never seen the need for a SW when I can cover the distances with the two. I do have two hybrids, one a 4 with an x flex shaft that stays straight and goes a tad farther than my 4 iron. That would probably technically be the extra club.

Honestly, unless one has a swing speed over 100 MPH one probably shouldn't play a 4I anyway. Just not enough SS to hit it consistently the distance and ballflight it needs.

Last edited:
Just never seen the need for a SW when I can cover the distances with the two. I do have two hybrids, one a 4 with an x flex shaft that stays straight and goes a tad farther than my 4 iron. That would probably technically be the extra club.

I struggle with half and 3/4 swings. Opening the face has a 50/50 chance of resulting in a blade that'll kill somebody or a chunk, so I roll with 50/54/58.

I 'benefit' from not hitting the ball that far (240-250 driver) so I can play 3 wedges (4 if we count the matched set pw) without gap issues at the top of the bag. Current setup is driver, 3 wood, 4&5 hybrids, 6-pw, gw, sw, lw. I'm a high ball hitter, so I've been looking to add a driving iron for low runners, but the prices for driving irons are just dumb.

I honestly believe I'm probably the best golfer in the world amongst people who have had at least 7 spine surgeries. Part of that is because I wonder if there's anyone else out there who's had that many surgeries who is also dumb enough to play golf.

Love the game, been playing my whole life. I'm a hockey player so it comes naturally to me. Didn't get serious about it till about 10 years ago when I decided I would try to get good. About 5 years ago I broke 80 for the first time. A few years ago I got my index down to single digits (9). Then my back started to really deteriorate unfortunately. Pretty much lost all range of motion, can't turn my body in the golf swing so my swing became all arms basically.

Started having massive issues with shanks. Would go 2-3 months straight of shanking pretty much all of my iron shots. if you've ever experienced the shanks you will know how awful that is. Not a worse feeling in golf. Now imagine doing that on every shot for 2-3 months straight. I ended up quiting golf on several occasions, my handicap got as high as 15 and I lost my love for the game.

It all turned back around this year. For starters, I moved up to the senior tees. I'm only 49, but when you've had 7 spine surgeries you've earned the right to play from any tees you want. Plus with all the distance I've lost in the past few years it makes sense. Went from hitting my 5 iron 175-180 to now hitting it 150.

Had a great lesson at the beginning of June where the instructor realized I was rolling my wrists on the takeaway which was leading to a lot of my shanks. He had me focus on almost trying to keep the clubface closed on takeaway.,

That little change has been like a light switch being turned on for me. Shanks went away and game turned completely around. Scores started going down and so did my index. Over just the past month it's gone from a 13.5 to an 11.5. I'm consistently shooting in the low 80s every round.

And the highlight was I had my career best on my birthday 7/3 at my favorite course, Lawsonia Links in Wisconsin. Shot a 74! For reference, a year prior on my bday on the exact same course I shot a 108, lost to my wife by a stroke, and spent the rest of my bday contemplating suicide.

I struggle with half and 3/4 swings. Opening the face has a 50/50 chance of resulting in a blade that'll kill somebody or a chunk, so I roll with 50/54/58.

I 'benefit' from not hitting the ball that far (240-250 driver) so I can play 3 wedges (4 if we count the matched set pw) without gap issues at the top of the bag. Current setup is driver, 3 wood, 4&5 hybrids, 6-pw, gw, sw, lw. I'm a high ball hitter, so I've been looking to add a driving iron for low runners, but the prices for driving irons are just dumb.

Yeah, I have some GC money I was thinking of spending on one of those fancy new driving irons but it isn't near enough. I'm not a far hitter either. It hurts sometimes but if I get wild with the driver it actually can help on some holes as I don't bomb it 280 that often so can be short of the bad trouble. I actually find I make better contact with an open face. Sometimes I'll even open up my 4 and 5 iron on the range to just work on contact. I tend to close down my hands late and fast while pulling across the ball when my timing is off so if I even have it slightly hooded or closed it can get nasty.

Playing my first round of the summer tomorrow. Had knee surgery back in May and haven’t swung a club since. Not expecting to play well, but I feel like a lot of the times you come in not expecting to play well, you hit it your best. I shall have an update tomorrow.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Playing my first round of the summer tomorrow. Had knee surgery back in May and haven’t swung a club since. Not expecting to play well, but I feel like a lot of the times you come in not expecting to play well, you hit it your best. I shall have an update tomorrow.

Sometimes a break will help you forget those bad habits as well and you come out rolling. Have fun and pay well.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Thanks man. It would be cool to have a rivals golf outing. I think you and a couple other posters on here can really play
I'd definitely bring up the rear.

Real talk, I'm not so bad if I constantly play short. I can't aim my "power".

Reactions: JimboBBN
In an ABCD scramble i’d Prolly be one of the better C players but I’m inconsistent as hell. I use to hit my drives straight as could be but now I slice the shit out of it. Takes a lot of distance outta my drives.

Crazy 18 out there today. Shot a horrible front only to have the best 9 I’ve ever played on the back. Knee held up as well

That back 9 will keep you coming back, haha. I was I wasn't happy with my round today but it wasn't terrible from a ball striking perspective. Just keep playing.

That back 9 will keep you coming back, haha. I was I wasn't happy with my round today but it wasn't terrible from a ball striking perspective. Just keep playing.
It doesn’t sound great but I will take forty every time haha even had a birdie on the back nine. Ended up being a great round. Think I just had to shake off the rust. As soon as I hit my first flush iron the rest was smooth

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Got some free clubs from my buddy last week so I could start playing. Think I might have torn my rotator cuff downhill MTN biking today :(

Got some free clubs from my buddy last week so I could start playing. Think I might have torn my rotator cuff downhill MTN biking today :(
That is bad. I did not like you post as it could come across wrong.

My wife did that in the 90's and still struggles. It still bothers her, but she did not slow down on her golf.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Since I began working in the golf business, my game has regressed a bit. (went from a +1.5 to a 2.1 in the last year and a half)

I am playing and practicing more now though and have gone red a few times in the last few weeks.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Since I began working in the golf business, my game has regressed a bit. (went from a +1.5 to a 2.1 in the last year and a half)

I am playing and practicing more now though and have gone red a few times in the last few weeks.
I could have lived on a course, played ever day, took lesson from the best pro ever and I would never shoot near par. If I shot like you I would be bragging my ass off!

Reactions: denniden
I could have lived on a course, played ever day, took lesson from the best pro ever and I would never shoot near par. If I shot like you I would be bragging my ass off!
Golf is a humbling sport. It has a habit of making sure you don’t get to too high on yourself. It’s really a dumb game.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I shot 78 Saturday but it was frustrating. It isn't an easy course, the rough is absolutely brutal even just off the fairway, but has four easy holes (I'm usually 1 or 2 under on those four holes) and I went 4 over over those four holes. Could have been one of my better rounds in a while.

Denn is dead on though. Golf is as humbling a game as there is. Just when you feel you may be turning a corner or something there is a wall waiting to slam you down, lol.

I just played 27 holes today and I rarely, if ever play. The temperature was 102 when I loaded up to leave. Playing that last 9 might be in my top 10 worst decisions of my adult years. It’s also my 6 month anniversary. I’m dead right now.

Fun game though, I won money.

I just played 27 holes today and I rarely, if ever play. The temperature was 102 when I loaded up to leave. Playing that last 9 might be in my top 10 worst decisions of my adult years. It’s also my 6 month anniversary. I’m dead right now.

Fun game though, I won money.

6 month anniversary? I didn't know that was a thing.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
6 month anniversary? I didn't know that was a thing.
It wasn’t anything planned other than I said I would make crab legs but instead ordered Outback Steakhouse for delivery. I was a little drunk and really exhausted. I went to bed after dinner around 7 and just now got up at 8:30. I’ll never be doing that again in August.

I shot 78 Saturday but it was frustrating. It isn't an easy course, the rough is absolutely brutal even just off the fairway, but has four easy holes (I'm usually 1 or 2 under on those four holes) and I went 4 over over those four holes. Could have been one of my better rounds in a while.

Denn is dead on though. Golf is as humbling a game as there is. Just when you feel you may be turning a corner or something there is a wall waiting to slam you down, lol.
You never think that a rough can be as bad as some of the ones you see on TV, but all it takes is one time for that shit to grab your club before you never want to miss a fairway again

You never think that a rough can be as bad as some of the ones you see on TV, but all it takes is one time for that shit to grab your club before you never want to miss a fairway again

Yeah, the first cut there is three inches and is 8 to 10 after that. Tournament rules there say you must hit a provisional if you hit in the rough.

ADVERTISEMENT