ADVERTISEMENT

How’s your golf game?

HRTheCard

Sep 15, 2016
Team
Louisville
I would rate mine at about the worst you can possibly get. I cannot get a fluid swing, cannot stop rising up when I follow through, and cannot get my club head to turn over so every single driver is like a fade.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Been playing since I was 11 or so. Was/am too poor to play as much as necessary to get good, so I shoot in the 90's. Could go to 105 on a bad day. Best round was 81. Just wildly inconsistent.

Miss with driver is a push slice. Fairway wood misses are pushes. Then I go the other way with hybrids and irons; pull hooks.

Shot 78 today. My best round of the year. Not super long but I’m pretty proficient at scrambling/putting so I gain strokes there.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Shot a 98 when I played my 1-2 times a year in June down at Morehead City. Enjoy the game from a social standpoint with most folks. But I don't take it serious , which is most of why it's fun. When I am real bad I am done by 13 and drinking a smoking listening to music. Guys that stress about it just to shoot an 85 doesn't seem worth it.

Played my first round of golf 2 years ago. My best 9 is 47. Over 18 I average about 105.

I’ll play most holes at ~bogey golf and then have one or two holes each 9 where I hit it OB twice and end up with 9 or 10. Pretty annoying.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Just got done with family vacation in Michigan and played 3 rounds (bringing my total to 6 on the year — been camping a ton this summer). Hit a bunch of good shots but couldn’t string shit together, chipped like a moron, and overall just couldn’t score. Shot 82-80-80.

Now I want to get home and hit the range to get some game back.

Thanks guys for not making me feel as bad. Im still horrendous though.

source.gif

Except I'm left handed

Don’t play much. Shot a 108 last time I did a full 18. I’m like @Spacegrass. I care more about the booze and smoking by hole 12 than anything else. I did finish 3rd in a group tournament last year though. Won $50 worth of stuff that I still haven’t redeemed. That was in April of 2018. Lol

Decent. I'm a 6.4. I shot an opening round 75 in our local City Amateur Tournament. It is a pretty strong field though. I'm two shots out in the first flight. The leader of the whole thing shot a course record 63 today.

Just got done with family vacation in Michigan and played 3 rounds (bringing my total to 6 on the year — been camping a ton this summer). Hit a bunch of good shots but couldn’t string shit together, chipped like a moron, and overall just couldn’t score. Shot 82-80-80.

Now I want to get home and hit the range to get some game back.

Where at?

I think I'm gonna get a set of clubs and start playing. I play like once every couple of years, typically for bachelor parties. I enjoy it but never really learned or had my own set.

Reactions: MGC_07
Driver has been maddeningly inconsistent this summer. I’ve started a lot of rounds not knowing if I was going to start spraying the ball left or right & have to adjust from there. 6 handicap & usually don’t stray too far from there. Low round -1, high round +10 but usually in the +4 to +8 range.

I think I'm gonna get a set of clubs and start playing. I play like once every couple of years, typically for bachelor parties. I enjoy it but never really learned or had my own set.
I can relate. However, I hate having to borrow clubs everytime I play. I think I'm going to invest in a proper set of clubs with the next bonus check.

Suggestions would be great if anyone has any.

I can relate. However, I hate having to borrow clubs everytime I play. I think I'm going to invest in a proper set of clubs with the next bonus check.

Suggestion 1 is to pay a little dough to get fit. Golf Galaxy I think does full bag fittings for about $75. They'll apply that to the purchase of clubs through them, but if you get fit into anything close to standard, you'll save more than $75 by buying online. Big box golf store markups are nuts.

You could also check out local fitters who might cost a bit more but tend to have more niche options available than big retailers and will probably provide a more personalized, detailed experience.

If you're going to pick up a used set of clubs, getting the fitting specs will help you narrow down which clubs to look for on eBay, or wherever. A good online used website that I frequent is callawaygolfpreowned.com. They have more than just used Callaway clubs. Great customer service, no worries about fakes, good warranty, decent prices.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I've only hit some in my yard. I can hit decently straight about 100 to 150 yards. Anything more than that is when I slice bad. Of course I'm just using clubs my brother bought used and gave them to me.

I need to go to a driving range and Pay some HS kid to coach me.

Saugatuck. Got a big house for the extended family. Good time.

Think we’re gonna do south haven in two years.

Hung in South Haven last summer right on the water. So nice. Crystal clear water and soft sandy beaches that doesn’t even seem like Michigan. Cool little “downtown” with shops and restaurants.

Have played for a several years but just started taking it seriously this year. My handicap this time last year was north of 20 but is down to a 16 now. I shot my best 9 with a 42 a couple of weeks ago. Typical round is between 88-94 now. If I can get better off the tee and stop putting myself in jail (or worse), I'll have a classic old man's game. I'm rarely more than 225 off the tee and have a very good short game for him handicap.

Hung in South Haven last summer right on the water. So nice. Crystal clear water and soft sandy beaches that doesn’t even seem like Michigan. Cool little “downtown” with shops and restaurants.
Yep we stopped in South Haven on our last day (and we did our family vacay there in 09 I believe). Fun towns.

I’d like to change it up, but with most of the family in Indy or WL, it makes it really easy for them. And the golf and beer in Michigan, on top of those being fun summer towns, makes it a good choice.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
Played my first round of golf 2 years ago. My best 9 is 47. Over 18 I average about 105.

I’ll play most holes at ~bogey golf and then have one or two holes each 9 where I hit it OB twice and end up with 9 or 10. Pretty annoying.
Sounds a lot like my game, except I started playing 16 years ago lol

Best ever is an 87. I’m usually in the 90s. Can crush it off the tee but my short game is the worst I’ve ever seen

Last edited:
Reactions: jhmossy
Been playing for roughly 40 years. The only thing I can say I've mastered is I don't miss the ball anymore. I've batted and swung a club cross handed my entire life. It actually hurts my wrists to use the proper grip, so I've never taken any lessons. I could always hit a baseball or golf ball as far as anybody I play with so I've never took the time to work on changing it. Having said that, I often have a nasty hook, am pretty inconsistent with ball contact, but have a decent short game. An average round for me is the low 90s. Have a group of 10-12 buddies that have been going to Myrtle Beach for a week of golf every other year for the past 30 years or so. As we have aged, it's been less golf, bars, and strip clubs, and more beach time, beer, and NetFlix.

I look like I can play. Fluid swing on everything. My clubs look like I can play. I play 1-2 times yr. 2 holes per round I look like a solid golfer. The other 16 make me look like a scramble only partner.

I played 9 holes today. GREAT (still terrible) improvement from the last time I played. I switched my grip up and had a relaxed grip instead of a death grip. I also focused on not trying to just absolutely murder the ball but get a good flow. Long ways to go but I'm getting there. Still have a natural fade.

Ping G15 or G20 used clubs. Best advice - go get fitted but stick with used clubs.

Yeah, just buy some used GI or SGI irons (assuming you don't want a players type iron). Any along those lines will work. They are all great these days. If you want reasonable used clubs that you know are legit go to the manufacture's preowned sites. I buy a ton from Callaway Preowned because I like Callaway but I'm sure the other companies have them as well. That way you know you aren't getting ripped off though. Lot of counterfeit stuff out there.

Yeah, just buy some used GI or SGI irons (assuming you don't want a players type iron). Any along those lines will work. They are all great these days. If you want reasonable used clubs that you know are legit go to the manufacture's preowned sites. I buy a ton from Callaway Preowned because I like Callaway but I'm sure the other companies have them as well. That way you know you aren't getting ripped off though. Lot of counterfeit stuff out there.

Ping G15 or G20 used clubs. Best advice - go get fitted but stick with used clubs.

Thanks guys. There's some good info here that I didn't think about.

I hadn't played in a few years. Bought some clubs on craigslist. I'm lucky that I can mostly buy off the shelf. I never buy new clubs. You save big getting used. Plus if they don't work out, you're more likely to get your money back whereas trading in newer set will cost you.

I bought a set of Silver Scott 845's (3-pw) in excellent condition for $40. Bought a great balanced putter with good feel for $10. I always go by feel and eye feel. I knew these clubs before purchasing. I do like a Titleist driver (8 deg) and woods. I usually extend the shaft by 2 inches. Hybrids are really good for replacing 3-4 irons if you have trouble hitting them. I use stiff shafts on all clubs.

Strictly feel for 60 deg. selection. I use it for approaches, flop shots and deep sand shots. I tend to go with a 7 or 9 for pitch and runs. I use a putter stroke.
Around the green is where the real game comes into play.

I only have a 60 and 51 degree wedge. Play a lot of open face shots from 80 in.

ADVERTISEMENT