ADVERTISEMENT

Duke and Kentucky

bignish

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2016
Team
Duke
Both these teams had impressive wins today but I think they’re both still on the Bubble for the NCAAT.

What are their chances to make the tournament? From what I’ve heard, UK needs to win the SECT and Duke needs to not lose more than 1 regular season game. That UVA win was huge.

Can UK get in without winning the SECT?

I think duke makes it but UK is gonna take their momentum to the NIT unfortunately. Just happy that UK is at least figuring it out.

Yet yesterday was UKs first win against a ranked opponent. Previously 0-5.

That’s why I have a problem with the quad stuff. well first I don’t understand it. But can they retroactively take away a quad 1 win if the team you beat turns out to be a lot shittier than people expected.

Like does Kansas get a quad 1 win for beating UK when uk was still ranked but Louisville not get a quad win bc UK wasn’t ranked and we played them and it was a home Game for us. I know home/away matters a lot. I just don’t know if it’s fluid. Like if Louisville loses out by 50 like unc did to us yesterday would all the teams we’ve lost to lose their quad 1 win against us?

That’s why I have a problem with the quad stuff. well first I don’t understand it. But can they retroactively take away a quad 1 win if the team you beat turns out to be a lot shittier than people expected.

Like does Kansas get a quad 1 win for beating UK when uk was still ranked but Louisville not get a quad win bc UK wasn’t ranked and we played them and it was a home Game for us. I know home/away matters a lot. I just don’t know if it’s fluid. Like if Louisville loses out by 50 like unc did to us yesterday would all the teams we’ve lost to lose their quad 1 win against us?
UK seems to get to you.

I missed it yesterday, I understand being upset and lashing out. Forget my last post about UK.

I dislike UK. Does that qualify getting to me???

Plus it’s fun to throw off topic jabs at y’alls sub par season.

Had Louisville not been in that tweet I never would have responded ITT

Last edited:
I guess I just think all this Kenpom and net rankings and quad 1-4 bs is just media talking points to give the talking heads stuff to debate.

It’s all gonna get decided in a March (hopefully)

Like you mentioned the tweet about UK having more quad 1 wins that UL/duke/unc combined. So effin what??? I guarantee every uk fan on the planet would trade y’alls season for any of those teams, even duke, and they aren’t exactly tearing it up either.

Last edited:
I guess I just think all this Kenpom and net rankings and quad 1-4 bs is just media talking points to give the talking heads stuff to debate.

It’s all gonna get decided in a March (hopefully)

Like you mentioned the tweet about UK having more quad 1 wins that UL/duke/unc combined but I guarantee every uk fan on the planet would trade y’alls season for any of those teams, even duke, and they aren’t exactly tearing it up either.
How many quad 1 wins is it?

I dislike UK. Does that qualify getting to me???

Plus it’s fun to throw off topic jabs at y’alls sub par season.

Had Louisville not been in that tweet I never would have responded ITT
UK is the all time worst team to dislike.

Both these teams had impressive wins today but I think they’re both still on the Bubble for the NCAAT.

What are their chances to make the tournament? From what I’ve heard, UK needs to win the SECT and Duke needs to not lose more than 1 regular season game. That UVA win was huge.

Can UK get in without winning the SECT?
How do you define bubble? UK isn't on any bubble. They can win the SECT and get in, but so can Vandy with an auto- birth, but that ain't a bubble.

Reactions: Villian07
Kentucky is far far far from the bubble. It’s a weird year, but they aren’t letting in teams with a losing record. They could get hot in Nashville though.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Quad wins are fluid. They only count in the moment I think. You could have one now you didn't have win you won a game. So as a UNC fan Duke winning against UVA probably helps because it could move them into a Quad 1 eventually (if they aren't as I don't know because the NET is an absurd ranking).

UNC is 1-6 in Quad 1 wins but will have 2 as Duke keeps winning. However, those six losses are to 5-Iowa, 9-UVA, 12-FSU, 38-Clemson, and their other three losses are also on the road. So all road losses and half to top 12 teams. One non quad 1 loss to State, which admittedly is embarrassing. Some teams are missing out on playing tough games by cancelling games or being on quarantine so I think things like that have to be a factor. UNC has missed chances at Quad 1 wins because other teams have cancelled and had issues.

I think it’s equal to, not more than. But Louisville has 0 so I guess you could just say UNC and Duke.

Damn I had no clue we had 0. How is beating a ranked VT at home not quad 1? Idk they are in and out of the rankings so much I have no clue what they’ve been doing since we played Guess they’ve fallen off. So that answers my question that you can gain and lose quad 1 wins and losses based on what shakes out And so did other poster hadn’t read down that far. Just seems crazy they don’t take account into how the team was playing at the time of the game. But I guess it doesn’t reward teams for beating say duke when they were top ten and just overrated at that time or Kansas when they got to 3 early into the season. All in all it’s a good thing bc our Clemson and Miami losses would look worse than unc and Wisconsin if you looked at how they were playing at the time, ie losing to everyone by 20.

Last edited:
Damn I had no clue we had 0. How is beating a ranked VT at home not quad 1? Idk they are in and out of the rankings so much I have no clue what they’ve been doing since we played Guess they’ve fallen off. So that answers my question that you can gain and lose quad 1 wins and losses based on what shakes out Right?? Just seems crazy.

Yeah, that is the way it works. That is why Duke winning actually helps UNC. Not that I want them to win but still.

Dang and is every quad one win viewed the same. Say beating Top 5 Illinois @ Illinois would be the same as beating say SDSU at home (I just seen SDSU is 25th) no clue on the criteria and don’t care no offense. I have no control over whether we make it or not, and we will if we win games and won’t if we lose them so I’m not gonna get worked up over hypotheticals.

Alrhough if there was ever a year for someone off the bubble line to get hot this is it.

Last edited:
Dang and is every quad one win viewed the same. Say beating Top 5 Illinois @ Illinois would be the same as beating say SDSU at home (I just seen SDSU is 25th) no clue on the criteria and don’t care no offense. I have no control over whether we make it or not, and we will if we win games and won’t if we lose them so I’m not gonna get worked up over hypotheticals.

Alrhough if there was ever a year for someone off the bubble line to get hot this is it.

I think quad 1 is quad 1 but home and away are calculated different in terms of whether or not it is a quad 1 game. There is no real point system I see on the site though so who knows??

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
This is how Quads are broken down by NET:
  • Quadrant 1: Home 1-30; Neutral 1-50; Away 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75; Neutral 51-100; Away 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160; Neutral 101-200; Away 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-plus; Neutral 201-plus; Away 241-plus.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Damn I had no clue we had 0. How is beating a ranked VT at home not quad 1? Idk they are in and out of the rankings so much I have no clue what they’ve been doing since we played Guess they’ve fallen off. So that answers my question that you can gain and lose quad 1 wins and losses based on what shakes out And so did other poster hadn’t read down that far. Just seems crazy they don’t take account into how the team was playing at the time of the game. But I guess it doesn’t reward teams for beating say duke when they were top ten and just overrated at that time or Kansas when they got to 3 early into the season. All in all it’s a good thing bc our Clemson and Miami losses would look worse than unc and Wisconsin if you looked at how they were playing at the time, ie losing to everyone by 20.
Quad 1 home games are against teams in the NET top 30, VT is currently 36. None of it really matters until the regular season is over, because net rankings are constantly changing.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

I think there are tier A and tier B wins for each Quadrant. I think a tier A quad 1 win is a top 15 net ranking win? But I don’t think they worry about that unless they’re trying to differentiate between two teams that are really close.

A lot of what they do with the net still doesn’t make sense. There’s still a lot of room for them to do what they want when it comes down to it however.

They know even if one team has an obvious justifiable complaint it wont matter because no one will care about the injustice except them and their fans.

Reactions: Villian07

Yes, quad wins change daily as the NET rankings change.

I think there are tier A and tier B wins for each Quadrant. I think a tier A quad 1 win is a top 15 net ranking win? But I don’t think they worry about that unless they’re trying to differentiate between two teams that are really close.

A lot of what they do with the net still doesn’t make sense. There’s still a lot of room for them to do what they want when it comes down to it however.

They know even if one team has an obvious justifiable complaint it wont matter because no one will care about the injustice except them and their fans.

Quad 1 has tier A and tier B, but the other quads don’t.

UK can get still get in without winning the SECT. They just cracked the top 64 in net rankings. They still have some makeup games to schedule. Texas is still in the mix for a reschedule, although it depends on what the SEC does with South Carolina. Seeding impacts are going to determine the SEC makeup games. Hell I'll take the play in game at this point. Seeding consideration is probably going to be different this year, somewhat like football with the bowl games where not so good records still got you a decent bowl game if you were power 5.

UK can get still get in without winning the SECT. They just cracked the top 64 in net rankings. They still have some makeup games to schedule. Texas is still in the mix for a reschedule, although it depends on what the SEC does with South Carolina. Seeding impacts are going to determine the SEC makeup games. Hell I'll take the play in game at this point. Seeding consideration is probably going to be different this year, somewhat like football with the bowl games where not so good records still got you a decent bowl game if you were power 5.

Ummm no. UK will have to win the SEC tourney to get in and not have any bad losses leading up to it.

Yea seems super silly beating the 75th team on the road is quad 1 just like beating the number 1 team at home would be. Concur with dude about this is about what we should expect out the dumbass NCAA.

Reactions: Montana81
Ummm no. UK will have to win the SEC tourney to get in and not have any bad losses leading up to it.

They have a chance. COVID certainly affected this team's progress as it has others with inexperienced teams. We're starting to play like we should. Plus we're a crowd draw on TV. They booted us when Noel was injured. They owe us one lol. Plus we do have quad 1 wins. And we're probably going to beat UF again which adds to our credibility. We finish over 500 in the conference and at least 500 overall and a good showing in the SECT, we're in. Its a longshot but a legit longshot.

ADVERTISEMENT