ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hold the door open for strangers?

You thinking it's reasonable and wise to advise students to stop using words like mankind is opinion and not fact. I think it's silly and contrived. You thinking that students who don't use the word humanity because the word man is it it puts them on a higher level that someone that uses that word is also your opinion and not fact.
It's the professional opinion of people who teach writing for a living that writers should choose to avoid exclusive language. There is nothing objectionable about suggesting ways a writer can consider their audience in order to communicate more effectively.

Thread is too tame, needs more vitriol and personal attacks.

It’s getting hard for me. TheDude ignores the conservatives that call him out on his ridiculousness, Dattier ignores my posts that highlight his hipocracy, and you’re pretty cool for a leftie. I’m gonna have to make a Archie Miller sucks thread so I get to argue with people I agree with politically but have the sack to step up and argue.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_0astpxev9h4gk
That’s pretty vague. Show me specific posts and I’ll tell you if I think it’s the same.
If professional writing instructors recommend that you avoid gender-exclusive language that could come across as sexist and you refuse to do so, isn't it your own fault for how you chose to represent yourself if others do think you're sexist?

That's the same logic as claiming modern day feminists are responsible for how they portray themselves.

If professional writing instructors recommend that you avoid gender-exclusive language that could come across as sexist and you refuse to do so, isn't it your own fault for how you chose to represent yourself if others do think you're sexist?

That's the same logic as claiming modern day feminists are responsible for how they portray themselves.

Are writing instructors saying that people who use the word mankind portray themselves as sexist?

Hm. A lot there.

First, yes, I think many people do have some issues with the idea of men and women being fundamentally equal.

Second, yes, obviously there are things men can do that women cannot, and stuff that women can do that men cannot. However, those things are pretty limited. Give birth, nurse... uh... not sure what else is determined by gender, in terms of what people cannot do. Sure, it might be harder for women to do things and harder for men to do some things, but...

We are most assuredly NOT polar opposites. That's lunacy. Men and women share nearly everything. The differences are MUCH fewer than the similarities.

And feminists DO tend to focus on equality where it is fair. The majority of feminists I know focus on issues of wages, job opportunity, political clout, and so on. YOU might not think it is reasonable, but that's your opinion. And that's the real issue here; people who think THEY know what is reasonable for women to want, and who do not listen to or give credit to women who say that no, what they are looking for isn't the same as what you are looking for.

Frankly, I think some conservatives have this radical vision of what a feminist is... some hairy legged, pussy-hat wearing angry lesbian... and have created this bizarre boogeyman that is as much a lefty minority as a neo-nazi is a righty minority.

Every single damn guy on here should be a feminist. Every single one of you.
Hmm. There was NOT a lot there. You made it a lot. You typically do make mountains out of molehills though. So not surprised. You are taking a ratical position and trying to sell it as reasonable. Wages, job opportunities and political clout are reasonable things to focus on. But in some cases, extreme feminists want equal pay where it is not warranted. What you want us to consider feminism would be a lot more reasonable than what a lot of the whacky left demands. But it is not just some boogeyman view from conservatives. Quit purposefully blinding yourself from the insane agendas that liberals are pushing on us and you will see how far out of touch you are with reason.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
It’s getting hard for me. TheDude ignores the conservatives that call him out on his ridiculousness, Dattier ignores my posts that highlight his hipocracy, and you’re pretty cool for a leftie. I’m gonna have to make a Archie Miller sucks thread so I get to argue with people politically but have the sack to step up and argue.
Only way it'll work. Or you could go the K or Cal sucks route, that brings in a lot of different banter from different posters with a wide array of political affiliations (mostly duke)

Hmm. There was NOT a lot there. You made it a lot. You typically do make mountains out of molehills though. So not surprised. You are taking a ratical position and trying to sell it as reasonable. Wages, job opportunities and political clout are reasonable things to focus on. But in some cases, extreme feminists want equal pay where it is not warranted. What you want us to consider feminism would be a lot more reasonable than what a lot of the whacky left demands. But it is not just some boogeyman view from conservatives. Quit purposefully blinding yourself from the insane agendas that liberals are pushing on us and you will see how far out of touch you are with reason.

I'll make it simple: you are wrong.

But it is not just some boogeyman view from conservatives. Quit purposefully blinding yourself from the insane agendas that liberals are pushing on us and you will see how far out of touch you are with reason.
He seems perfectly reasonable to me and you seem out of touch w/ reason to me.

I'll make it simple: you are wrong.
How about you give me one example of where I was wrong.
He seems perfectly reasonable to me and you seem out of touch w/ reason to me.
Where am I out of reason? An example? He was out of reason by claiming the idea of ectreme feminism was a conservative boogeyan.

It really would be nice if you guys would put context to your accusations.

Me, I hold the door open for anyone who is in close proximity to me. Doesn't matter if they are male, female, white, black or other. Tranny, gay and/or a unc fan.

So what is wrong with some people where men are assholes for opening the door for women? I always thought you were an asshole for not opening the door, not only for women, but anyone else.

DbMJUBjW0AAKj6b

Nathan E Michael knows what's up.

40+ years ago got cussed out by a female student at my university for holding the door open for her. She was trying very hard to prove that she was a feminist by not shaving her legs, pits and by not being "constrained" by a bra. I, too, am a child of the South and was raised to hold the door for another. We have too much real crap going on in this world to get bent because someone did an act of kindness.

Where am I out of reason? An example? He was out of reason by claiming the idea of ectreme feminism was a conservative boogeyan.

There are isolated examples of extreme feminism, but I think you represent it as a bigger problem than it is. I think it's practically inconsequential. Extremists basically shoot themselves in the foot.

40+ years ago got cussed out by a female student at my university for holding the door open for her. She was trying very hard to prove that she was a feminist by not shaving her legs, pits and by not being "constrained" by a bra. I, too, am a child of the South and was raised to hold the door for another. We have too much real crap going on in this world to get bent because someone did an act of kindness.
40+ years ago? And society is still intact?

Are you kidding me? First you complain that I am making mountains out of molehills and go on too long, and then when I shorten it up you accuse me of not providing context? Do you see how that might be ridiculous?

First, I posted the very definition of feminist. I've stuck with that. Not YOUR take on what it means, not any one particular person's take; the definition what an ACTUAL FEMINIST is. That's not extreme; it's a definition.

People responded by saying that there is big difference between thinking men and women should have equal opportunities and feminism (which there is not; that is just about the definition of feminism) and then we got into a discussion of taking the word "man" out of words, which is almost as surface a discussion as you can have about feminism.

You then dropped the line "Men are women were not created to be equal. We were created to be polar opposites."

Uh... dude, that is completely unreasonable. Like... completely. The polar opposite of "man" is not "woman"; in fact, we are nearly identical in every way... we share DNA, we are driven by things like love and success and fear, we like to eat food and watch TV... you get the idea.

You then went on to complain that women aren't focusing on equality where it is fair and reasonable. That's a BIG statement. Yes they do; you just don't see stories in the National Review and Breitbart about it, because that isn't how those outlets will get people fired up. Nope; they get you fired up by focusing on this nutjob professor. Most feminists focus on those exact same issues you are talking about; it is only a VERY tiny (but magnified) few who go on about "womyn" or whatever.

Listen, I have taken these "crazy" stances:

I look at the definition of feminism when I discuss feminism. I also look at the people I deal with regularly. Neither of those focus on the "outskirt" issues, like "policeperson". They both focus on the bigger picture issues; pay equality, job opportunity equality (where it is justified), and so on.

I do not think men and women are polar opposites; I believe they are far more similar.

I do not think that the image of feminist that is so often referenced by people on the right is accurate. I just don't. My guess is that your view of what a feminist is is NOT created by the actual definition of feminism, nor by people you know; my guess is that it is created by what you read about online about feminists and pussy hats and angry lady college professors in California.

And yes, "extreme feminism" is ABSOLUTELY a right wing boogeyman, in the same way that neo nazi militias are a left wing boogeyman; they exist, but their influence is miniscule compared to their influence. I am not sure how you dispute that.

After 5 pages of this, I have no idea what is being argued anymore. Not sure the ones arguing do either.....

@TheDude1 you made a mountain out of a molehill out of my original comment. It would have been easier to have a conversation with you had you simple addressed what it was that I said that you took issue with. Instead, you basically took my words and made them mean what you wanted them to mean.

It is more rampant than just being a conservative boogeyman. But it doesn't affect my life to where I would consider it a problem. I am just commenting on it's ridiculousness.
We agree that it's ridiculous. I think we're miles apart as to how rampant it is.

We agree that it's ridiculous. I think we're miles apart as to how rampant it is.
Maybe we have steered away from talking about the same thing. If we are talking about extreme views like the one in the OP. I do not think it is rampant at all. That represents a very small percentage of the views of feminists. If we are talking about ridiculous stances in general, I do think it is more rampant than just a conservative boogeyman. But it's whatever.

Maybe we have steered away from talking about the same thing. If we are talking about extreme views like the one in the OP. I do not think it is rampant at all. That represents a very small percentage of the views of feminists. If we are talking about ridiculous stances in general, I do think it is more rampant than just a conservative boogeyman. But it's whatever.
Chances are its frequency is more than I'm acknowledging but not rampant, as you agreed.

Don't be so sensitive. Lol
Hahahaha.........Winking

Problem today is no one wants to be held accountable for their actions. Its easier to blame the white guy......the black guy......the Left wing......Right wing........So on and so on. Not sure abut the rest of you, but my upbringing was rather simple: Hold your self accountable for your actions. Take pride in what you do, and WHO you are. Be honest. Do what you say you are going to do. And most importantly------treat others as you would wish to be treated. I mean its like none of this exist any longer. IMO, we have became a very, very selfish, self-absorbed society. Simply looking to lay blame somewhere else other than our on doorstep.

And now this. A woman getting offended by someone holding a door open for her. I mean fcvking really? I mean where does it stop? Next do we get upset because our waiter brings us............OUR FOOD?

Sad, sad times...

I always wondered if Caitlyn Jenner being named woman of the year bothered feminists. Hard to support your argument that the sexes are equal when a man is apparently better at being a woman than the rest of the women alive.

I always wondered if Caitlyn Jenner being named woman of the year bothered feminists. Hard to support your argument that the sexes are equal when a man is apparently better at being a woman than the rest of the women alive.
Bruce Jenner spent 51 years on Earth as a man and was never involved in a single car accident. In less than a year of being a woman she killed someone in a car accident.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT