ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hold the door open for strangers?

I always wondered if Caitlyn Jenner being named woman of the year bothered feminists. Hard to support your argument that the sexes are equal when a man is apparently better at being a woman than the rest of the women alive.
I don't know about Jenner, specifically, but there's actually a bit of a schism among feminists about transwomen. The old guard is less inviting.

Reactions: SNU0821 and tw3301
While I think it is reasonable for people to want others to use more gender neutral language I think it is also reasonable for people to not do that and for it to be ok. If someone says mankind I think they should be able to do so without getting any brushback for it. If someone says womankind I would say the same thing. If someone wants to say humankind someone also shouldn't get all worked up because it isn't mankind either.

I'm pretty aware of the language I use because as a teacher I want all of my students to feel like I feel the exact same about them. So if I say boy I'll also say girl, or I may just say student of course. However, strictly talking about a term like mankind I think very few people even think about that word at all. They know what it means and think it is ok. My points are pretty strictly in reference to that term.

Reactions: SNU0821
Feminists are a joke. They think everything is against them and the man is trying to keep them down. Sadly, there's a lot of crazies like this in other groups on the far left. Our country is filling up with a bunch of snowflakes.

Note: I say far left, not liberals. To me, there's a difference. Liberals are reasonable and you can have a conversation with them, even if they disagree. The far left just wants you to stfu.

Oh wow, good thing you added this, otherwise that'd have been a terribly horrendous post!!

tenor.gif

Oh wow, good thing you added this, otherwise that'd have been a terribly horrendous post!!

tenor.gif

I honestly don’t know how you read these sorts of threads and do not lose your mind. It is such a ridiculously male echo chamber in here, and so often we see the worst guys have to offer...

Reactions: KisteK and Dattier
I honestly don’t know how you read these sorts of threads and do not lose your mind. It is such a ridiculously male echo chamber in here, and so often we see the worst guys have to offer...
Probably because she is a strong person who doesn't allow opinions of anonymous message board posters change her personal feelings. Not some helpless woman who needs a man to intervene and tell her she should be offended?

You guys see that thing about the guy in Toronto who ran over all those folks? He posted on Facebook a reference to “Elliot Rodger, who killed six and injured 14 in a drive-by shooting and vehicle ramming attack near the UC Santa Barbara campus in Isla Vista, California in 2014... Rodger was motivated to carry out his attack by a personal grievance related to his immersion in the extremist ideological subculture of men's rights activists propagated in several online forums such as 4Chan, which believe that women do not actually want gender equality and have been brainwashed by feminist propaganda.”

Goddamn extreme feminists... look what they make us men do!;)

If any posters in this thread suddenly stop posting yesterday, I think we know why.

Last edited:
You guys see that thing about the guy in Toronto who ran over all those folks? He posted on Facebook a reference to “Elliot Rodger, who killed six and injured 14 in a drive-by shooting and vehicle ramming attack near the UC Santa Barbara campus in Isla Vista, California in 2014... Rodger was motivated to carry out his attack by a personal grievance related to his immersion in the extremist ideological subculture of men's rights activists propagated in several online forums such as 4Chan, which believe that women do not actually want gender equality and have been brainwashed by feminist propaganda.”

Goddamn extreme feminists... look what they make us men do!

If any posters in this thread suddenly stop posting yesterday, I think we know why.
Bu-bu-bu-but what about abortions?

Now now, was posting it as a joke, since we happened to be discussing this and I just read this bit. Let’s make sure everyone knows that before anyone goes off the rails. Here, I’ll add a winky face to make sure it’s totally obvious.

Time to ban automobiles

All jokes aside, I remember asking after the last one of these how people think we can reduce the likelihood of this sort of attack. I seem to recall no other posters posting any ideas. Is this just something that we accept, because there are so many cars and people and they serve such a vital purpose? Or do we somehow find a way (and the money!) to try to make major thoroughfares less accessible to vehicles? And how much would that cost? I’d have to imagine an absolute insane amount of money...

All jokes aside, I remember asking after the last one of these how people think we can reduce the likelihood of this sort of attack. I seem to recall no other posters posting any ideas. Is this just something that we accept, because there are so many cars and people and they serve such a vital purpose? Or do we somehow find a way (and the money!) to try to make major thoroughfares less accessible to vehicles? And how much would that cost? I’d have to imagine an absolute insane amount of money...
Yea, all of my pitches and ideas would be insanely costly, and not sure how realistic. Tough problem to have.

She is probably used to seeing plenty of guys who are idiots. There are plenty around. I also think, basing it off her reasonableness, she probably dislikes the extremes as much as most. She can correct me if I'm wrong though.

I think we should all be for equal rights for everyone. That isn't the way we are but it should be. I also think we should ignore the views of the extreme. I have a cousin who calls herself a feminist who got a guy, though she doesn't like men, and started a relationship with him so he would get her pregnant. Then after the baby she was out and back to hating all of us, lol. Anyway, IMO people like this shouldn't really be considered in the same way some males shouldn't be considered, which is sort of where I'm coming from. There has to be a line somewhere. We all have one. That line is basically what the discussion is really about.

Goddamn extreme feminists... look what they make us men do!;)

Yikes

Now now, was posting it as a joke, since we happened to be discussing this and I just read this bit. Let’s make sure everyone knows that before anyone goes off the rails. Here, I’ll add a winky face to make sure it’s totally obvious.
Most jokes are meant to be funny. ;) But nobody is going off the rails.

Most jokes are meant to be funny. ;) But nobody is going off the rails.
I love when @TheDude1 swoops into these threads and acts like he's the moral authority on all subjects (because after all, he's self proclaimed "extremely smart"). Knowing his posting history, it really just makes him look stupid. It's great because he's got no clue...

Yeah, where could we have gotten that idea?

DC-March07.JPG

download.png
Thanks Hail. Such a fantastic response.

It is mankind. Anyone with an IQ over 30 knows the meaning. It has always astounded me that people spend so much time simply trying to change words for stupid reasons.

The U.S. Senate has 16 women. The U.S. house has 106 women. Kentucky had a woman governor in 1983. Wyoming had a woman governor in 1925. Who says women are locked in the kitchen?

There are so many reasons why there are more men in government and corporate leadership. One of the least important is sexism or misogyny. It is just the function of our reproduction that women take a larger role in raising children and because of that many women choose to be a mother rather than pursuing a business career. It has nothing to do with men purposefully holding women down.

The Feminist movement now must really look hard for discrimination, so they seek to find it and if necessary; invent discrimination.

The Dude1 has already drank the kool aid.

It is mankind. Anyone with an IQ over 30 knows the meaning. It has always astounded me that people spend so much time simply trying to change words for stupid reasons.

The U.S. Senate has 16 women. The U.S. house has 106 women. Kentucky had a woman governor in 1983. Wyoming had a woman governor in 1925. Who says women are locked in the kitchen?

There are so many reasons why there are more men in government and corporate leadership. One of the least important is sexism or misogyny. It is just the function of our reproduction that women take a larger role in raising children and because of that many women choose to be a mother rather than pursuing a business career. It has nothing to do with men purposefully holding women down.

The Feminist movement now must really look hard for discrimination, so they seek to find it and if necessary; invent discrimination.

Oh, Bert. Can always count on your thoughtful and insightful analysis.

TheDude is the stereotypical liberal in society today. He thinks he knows what the right answers are/should be on all issues. He honestly can’t comprehend how others don’t think just like he does and he looks down on those that don’t. People just like him are the reason Trump won and will win again in 2020.

TheDude is the stereotypical liberal in society today. He thinks he knows what the right answers are/should be on all issues. He honestly can’t comprehend how others don’t think just like he does and he looks down on those that don’t. People just like him are the reason Trump won and will win again in 2020.

Such a true post

The Dude1 regurgitates the liberal talking points without thinking. He then insults folks who disagree with him because he can't posit a reasonable argument. Women in America face little institutional misogyny, yet the left rails and rails against a non-existent bigotry. It is the ugly under belly of “identity” politics.

On the other side of the coin these same left-wing nut jobs rail against any criticism of Islam, yet Muslim men are taught, by Muhammed, to treat women as chattel and sex slaves.

Lip service to support women and that is it.

Me, I hold the door open for anyone who is in close proximity to me. Doesn't matter if they are male, female, white, black or other. Tranny, gay and/or a unc fan.

So what is wrong with some people where men are assholes for opening the door for women? I always thought you were an asshole for not opening the door, not only for women, but anyone else.

DbMJUBjW0AAKj6b

Nathan E Michael knows what's up.

Always, for anyone who might be approaching. It does annoy me a bit when I don't get a "thanks"....

McHoop

The Dude1 regurgitates the liberal talking points without thinking. He then insults folks who disagree with him because he can't posit a reasonable argument. Women in America face little institutional misogyny, yet the left rails and rails against a non-existent bigotry. It is the ugly under belly of “identity” politics.

On the other side of the coin these same left-wing nut jobs rail against any criticism of Islam, yet Muslim men are taught, by Muhammed, to treat women as chattel and sex slaves.

Lip service to support women and that is it.

Oh Bert. You babble on about me drinking kool aid, and then accuse me of resorting to insults? You goofy old man. Don't stop being you;)

All jokes aside, I remember asking after the last one of these how people think we can reduce the likelihood of this sort of attack.

The guy used a van. Any type of SUV or truck would have done the same or worse. Unless you want to ban all vehicles there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I guess we could ban all vehicles that are large, white and slow since those are what are primarily used in these attacks. Maybe require some background check, mental health screening, and a driver's safety course to rent/buy a vehicle.

Reactions: SNU0821
The guy used a van. Any type of SUV or truck would have done the same or worse. Unless you want to ban all vehicles there isn't much you can do to stop it.

I guess we could ban all vehicles that are large, white and slow since those are what are primarily used in these attacks. Maybe require some background check, mental health screening, and a driver's safety course to rent/buy a vehicle.

Are you trying to draw some parallel between guns and cars? Seems like a foolish parallel.

I agree that you can't STOP it, but you can maybe prevent it, or make it less deadly. So far most of these sorts of attacks seem to be happening in major cities... while it would be an insanely huge project, I wonder if maybe streets have to be seperated from sidewalks by jersey barriers or whathaveyou, with some regular intervals for pedestrians to get through/people who park to get through, but NOT large enough for vehicles to get through?

But yeah, it seems like an absolute bitch of a problem... an "essential" product used in this way, while also being absolutely vital to the daily operation of nearly every single part of society... how the heck do we handle it?

Was it a rental? Have these things been rentals more often than not?

Hm, just randomly read this story on CNN, about a woman who pushed for English money to include a first female figure. She talks about what happened after she pushed for that:

It was the day after the Bank of England announced that Jane Austen would feature on the next £10 note that I received my first rape threat. It would by no means be my last.

What followed on from that was three weeks where every single day, every hour, every minute, my Twitter mentions were filled with a stream of anonymous threats. Threats of gang rape. Of mutilation. Of being pistol-whipped and set on fire. Of being raped to death with a metal pole. Some threats included an address and phone number they'd dug up. One man tweeted about a gun he'd bought, wondering how much death it would buy him.

It is very easy for people who have never received such threats to tell you to just ignore them. These people don't mean it, they say. They're just trying to scare you.

Well, yes they were. And they succeeded. I had no idea who these threats were coming from. I had no idea where they were coming from. As one of the threats I received warned, it could be from someone I knew. I had no way of knowing if that was true.

All I knew was that it took only one person to mean it. I was scared to leave my home; the address they'd found was thankfully not my home address, but how long would it take them to find it? Clearly, they were looking.

And all because I had wanted what I had thought was a fairly mild request: for a woman to feature on the back of one of the four notes issued by the Bank of England.

Woof.

Anyway, touches on men, women, social institutions, expectations, and how some people REALLY push back when women "step out of place" despite the fact that some people say that things are largely equal today.

BTW, I hope that every response here is something like "Jesus, that is disgusting".

Reactions: KisteK

Literally all of your criteria for a stereotypical liberal satisfies the criteria for a stereotypical conservative.

Also, I don't think @TheDude1 is a stereotypical liberal. Rush Limbaugh and Fox News have done this for years. They define what a "liberal" is with extreme or trivial criteria then deem anything that makes them uncomfortable as liberal.

Being liberal is a compliment, to be honest. I'll gladly own the idea of throwing away tradition and being open to better ideas. Because that's the definition of a liberal.

And thank God for these people, who've brought us science, the internet and nearly every modern convenience. You can't be on the cutting edge and be conservative.

Literally all of your criteria for a stereotypical liberal satisfies the criteria for a stereotypical conservative.

Also, I don't think @TheDude1 is a stereotypical liberal. Rush Limbaugh and Fox News have done this for years. They define what a "liberal" is with extreme or trivial criteria then deem anything that makes them uncomfortable as liberal.

Being liberal is a compliment, to be honest. I'll gladly own the idea of throwing away tradition and being open to better ideas. Because that's the definition of a liberal.

And thank God for these people, who've brought us science, the internet and nearly every modern convenience. You can't be on the cutting edge and be conservative.
While I can see where some liberals come from (see, not agree with), I would definitely not take being called one a compliment ;)

While I can see where some liberals come from (see, not agree with), I would definitely not take being called one a compliment ;)

Because they turn the word into a meme and act like it means something it doesn't. Propaganda, basically.

Reactions: KisteK
Hm, just randomly read this story on CNN, about a woman who pushed for English money to include a first female figure. She talks about what happened after she pushed for that:

It was the day after the Bank of England announced that Jane Austen would feature on the next £10 note that I received my first rape threat. It would by no means be my last.

What followed on from that was three weeks where every single day, every hour, every minute, my Twitter mentions were filled with a stream of anonymous threats. Threats of gang rape. Of mutilation. Of being pistol-whipped and set on fire. Of being raped to death with a metal pole. Some threats included an address and phone number they'd dug up. One man tweeted about a gun he'd bought, wondering how much death it would buy him.

It is very easy for people who have never received such threats to tell you to just ignore them. These people don't mean it, they say. They're just trying to scare you.

Well, yes they were. And they succeeded. I had no idea who these threats were coming from. I had no idea where they were coming from. As one of the threats I received warned, it could be from someone I knew. I had no way of knowing if that was true.

All I knew was that it took only one person to mean it. I was scared to leave my home; the address they'd found was thankfully not my home address, but how long would it take them to find it? Clearly, they were looking.

And all because I had wanted what I had thought was a fairly mild request: for a woman to feature on the back of one of the four notes issued by the Bank of England.

Woof.

Anyway, touches on men, women, social institutions, expectations, and how some people REALLY push back when women "step out of place" despite the fact that some people say that things are largely equal today.

BTW, I hope that every response here is something like "Jesus, that is disgusting".
It is disgusting, if its all true. Big IF there.

Because they turn the word into a meme and act like it means something it doesn't. Propaganda, basically.
I think the extreme left gives the good ones a bad name. I'm totally with you on the science thing (we've had that discussion before and seem to be on the same page)

Just because you're a republican doesn't mean you don't believe in science or progression. More like you're just against changing things that work because people feel offended by them. I use that term offended loosely, more like clinging to something to complain about. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. A lot on the left are wanting to fix things that aren't broken.

Reactions: Boilermaker03
I'd much rather be considered liberal than conservative. While politically, I am not either of these things technically, I'd much rather be associated with academia, science, philosophy, tech, free thinking and art than merely defending social normatives. I somewhat feel sorry for social conservatives because I feel like they don't know any better. But I do like money.

ADVERTISEMENT