ADVERTISEMENT

Do you hold the door open for strangers?

Well, it doesn't hurt me, but is it really that difficult to say "human" instead? Is it really unreasonable for women -- who have been historically oppressed and still don't have full equity in many important ways -- to prefer a more inclusive term? If you called me by the wrong name, I'd correct you. It's a bit hypocritical to act like they're making such a big deal out of something so trivial, yet dig your own heels in so adamantly.

It's not "PC." It's accuracy and decency.
Can't say human either, Dat. Man is in that word, could really hurt someone's feelings. Have to change human to something more fit and accurate.

Mankind was accurate for years and years until someone got in their feelings about it. And now its not okay. Its very PC. Like the definition of PC.
Beating your wife was fine for years and years, too.

Tradition is a reason for why something exists. It is not an excuse not to progress. It doesn't hurt you to learn the term "humanity" and use it instead. It's no different from learning someone's married name and using that instead of their maiden name.

Tradition is a reason for why something exists. It is not an excuse not to progress. It doesn't hurt you to learn the term "humanity" and use it instead. It's no different from learning someone's married name and using that instead of their maiden name.
Ahh, so now words hurt like getting beat, huh? Interesting.

Should we change "humanity" to humynity instead? Some womyn are offended by the word "man" being in the word. Why don't we respect their feelings?

Mankind was accurate for years and years until someone got in their feelings about it. And now its not okay. Its very PC. Like the definition of PC.

Wait, but Jimbo... it was "accurate" for years and years while women couldn't speak up about it, couldn't own property, couldn't keep money, couldn't vote, couldn't hold CEO positions, couldn't get paid the same as men, and so on and so on and so on...

But now that some women have the opportunity to say "This is a bit messed up; can we change a term that is for all of us so that it feels more like a term for ALL of us" you are saying its not okay for them to say that?

I don't know, man. Feels like taking a stand for the sake of taking a stand.

Reactions: Dattier
Can't say human either, Dat. Man is in that word, could really hurt someone's feelings. Have to change human to something more fit and accurate.
Unlikely, but when talking to extremists, you learn your audience and adjust. If they prefer "people," I'll make an effort for the sake of dialogue. It's no different from how most of us watch our language in front of children.

You can't say it's no big deal then insist on using the objectionable term with people who consider it a bigger deal.

I'm left-handed, which means I often get priority on the much coveted corner or aisle seat at a restaurant so my elbow doesn't bang into someone else's. If someone's infant is in a high chair at the end and they want to sit there to be beside their kid, that takes priority and I scoot over. It's not that big a deal.

Wait, but Jimbo... it was "accurate" for years and years while women couldn't speak up about it, couldn't own property, couldn't keep money, couldn't vote, couldn't hold CEO positions, couldn't get paid the same as men, and so on and so on and so on...

But now that some women have the opportunity to say "This is a bit messed up; can we change a term that is for all of us so that it feels more like a term for ALL of us" you are saying its not okay for them to say that?

I don't know, man. Feels like taking a stand for the sake of taking a stand.
My man, I haven't heard anyone get upset at this term until the past few years. So it was okay 10 years ago, but not now, for some reason. There are things I can see as offensive to others, I am all for treating people with respect. The respect that I think I deserve from others. But this is SO minuscule, it just feels like people are complaining to complain.

You can't say it's no big deal then insist on using the objectionable term with people who consider it a bigger deal.

Then why is your username still "Dattier"? I consider it a big deal. It offends me. You can't insist on using that username with an objectionable word when I consider it a bigger deal.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Unlikely, but when talking to extremists, you learn your audience and adjust. If they prefer "people," I'll make an effort for the sake of dialogue. It's no different from how most of us watch our language in front of children.

I'm left-handed, which means I often get priority on the much coveted corner or aisle seat at a restaurant so my elbow doesn't bang into someone else's. If someone's infant is in a high chair at the end and they want to sit there to be beside their kid, that takes priority and I scoot over. It's not that big a deal.
I'm just not going to go out of my way to not say the word man. Bottom line. It is silly to get offended by such term. Your points are fine, but using the F word or N word are two totally different things than using the word man. The fact that I'm even having to defend using the word is honestly sad.

I'm just not going to go out of my way to not say the word man. Bottom line. It is silly to get offended by such term. Your points are fine, but using the F word or N word are two totally different things than using the word man. The fact that I'm even having to defend using the word is honestly sad.

If he doesn't change his username then he is a hypocrite. Actions speak louder than words. He says we can't say the word humanity if people are offended by it but continues to flaunt around a username that I find offensive.

My man, I haven't heard anyone get upset at this term until the past few years. So it was okay 10 years ago, but not now, for some reason. There are things I can see as offensive to others, I am all for treating people with respect. The respect that I think I deserve from others. But this is SO minuscule, it just feels like people are complaining to complain.
If it's so minuscule, it's easy enough for you to change.
I've known of preference for inclusive language for more than 20 years. That's as anecdotal as your 10-year figure.

Jimbo, I'm calling you a woman from now on, because it has the word "man" in it.

Except tonight, when I'll be calling you my bitch.

:eek:

If it's so minuscule, it's easy enough for you to change.
I've known of preference for inclusive language for more than 20 years. That's as anecdotal as your 10-year figure.
Let me put this on record again. I'm not going to stop saying the word man. It was never meant to be a derogatory term, it was never meant to offend anyone. It is a word to describe people, COMING FROM THE WORD HUMAN. Or humanity. This is mind numbing. Some things I can totally see the other ends perspective or angle, this is not one of those discussions.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
Let me put this on record again. I'm not going to stop saying the word man. It was never meant to be a derogatory term, it was never meant to offend anyone. It is a word to describe people, COMING FROM THE WORD HUMAN. Or humanity. This is mind numbing. Some things I can totally see the other ends perspective or angle, this is not one of those discussions.

He does not care that some may be offended by the word Dattier but continues to lecture you about the word man.

Should we change "humanity" to humynity instead? Some womyn are offended by the word "man" being in the word. Why don't we respect their feelings?
It will be pretty rare that someone goes so far, but if you work regularly with such a person, it seems like an appropriate time to weigh the inconvenience of one party against the alienation of the other party. It's not all or nothing. I've periodically made concessions about words I otherwise use, and even where I slip-up, my effort has been appreciated.

Reactions: TheDude1
I don't try to frame issues like this in terms of political correctness. In the real world, I think generally it's wise to approach all interactions with other people in terms of being diplomatic because that's ultimately the best way to have most influence.

It's not always easy to do, especially when you just flat out don't like a person, but sill worth striving for.

Ultimately, the goal is to build rapport with other people. So, offending people isn't usually the best means to do that. That doesn't mean you bow to their views, but attempting to understand their view while also holding on to what you believe.

But going out of you way to offend someone just because that's the way you like to state things doesn't generally win anyone to your view.

The principle is exactly the same.
Chances are, you'll rarely be asked to avoid the word "man." How "out of the way" will it really be to use another word instead? Will you go out of your way to use a word just b/c someone would prefer you didn't?

It will be pretty rare that someone goes so far, but if you work regularly with such a person, it seems like an appropriate time to weigh the inconvenience of one party against the alienation of the other party. It's not all or nothing. I've periodically made concessions about words I otherwise use, and even where I slip-up, my effort has been appreciated.

"It will be pretty rare that someone goes that far" doesn't hold weight. Five years ago it was pretty rare for people to go as far as thinking the word mankind was oppressive. Now there is a movement to get it changed.

Also, will you stop alienating me with your username? Or are you being selective in which words people find offensive are okay?

Chances are, you'll rarely be asked to avoid the word "man." How "out of the way" will it really be to use another word instead? Will you go out of your way to use a word just b/c someone would prefer you didn't?
You're right, dat. It probably is a rare thing, especially the part of the country I'm in. I honestly don't even use terms like humanity or mankind that frequently, unless discussing a subject where they are needed. With that said, those are the terms I usually use. Mankind or humanity. So odds are, if I'm in discussion about it, its 50/50 I will even say mankind. But I'm not going to sit there and think to myself "don't say mankind" when having this discussion. It just won't happen. I won't remember to not say it, not should I have to. It shouldn't be this big of a deal, but it is.

Reactions: mathman68

How out of the way is it for your to create a less offensive username?

You're right, dat. It probably is a rare thing, especially the part of the country I'm in. I honestly don't even use terms like humanity or mankind that frequently, unless discussing a subject where they are needed. With that said, those are the terms I usually use. Mankind or humanity. So odds are, if I'm in discussion about it, its 50/50 I will even say mankind. But I'm not going to sit there and think to myself "don't say mankind" when having this discussion. It just won't happen. I won't remember to not say it, not should I have to.
The people making requests that we avoid certain words should be patient and understanding that it sometimes takes a while to change life-long habits. If it's some unreasonable extremist screaming at me b/c I slip-up, there's a chance I'm just going to troll them and keep using it b/c they were a jerk. But otherwise, I appreciate opportunities to up my own game.

I don't try to frame issues like this in terms of political correctness. In the real world, I think generally it's wise to approach all interactions with other people in terms of being diplomatic because that's ultimately the best way to have most influence.

It's not always easy to do, especially when you just flat out don't like a person, but sill worth striving for.

Ultimately, the goal is to build rapport with other people. So, offending people isn't usually the best means to do that. That doesn't mean you bow to their views, but attempting to understand their view while also holding on to what you believe.

But going out of you way to offend someone just because that's the way you like to state things doesn't generally win anyone to your view.

That's the thing, though. The words mankind and humanity weren't created to offend anyone and when I use those terms it's not to go out of my way to offend someone.

That's the thing, though. The words mankind and humanity weren't created to offend anyone and when I use those terms it's not to go out of my way to offend someone.

Yeah, but you are talking about roughly 7 purple haired lesbians who are offended by the term humanity. And these 7 purple headed lesbians have triggered you enough to believe that the word "human" is under siege by liberals.

Yeah, but you are talking about roughly 7 purple haired lesbians who are offended by the term humanity. And these 7 purple headed lesbians have triggered you enough to believe that the word "human" is under siege by liberals.

Nowhere did I say I believe the word human is under siege. You completely missed that point. The point is that if even a small minority consider it offensive should we stop using a word as benign as "humanity"? Should Dattier change his username because I find it offensive (no, and he demonstrated that he won't and doesn't care that it offends me). Likewise, I don't feel that people need to stop using the word "humanity" if it offends someone.

Another point I made is that in the not-so-distant-past there was no issue with the term mankind, except maybe with those "7 purple haired lesbians". Now:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10539
Purdue writing guide: Words with 'MAN' 'should be avoided'

Nowhere did I say I believe the word human is under siege. You completely missed that point. The point is that if even a small minority consider it offensive should we stop using a word as benign as "humanity"? Should Dattier change his username because I find it offensive (no, and he demonstrated that he won't and doesn't care that it offends me). Likewise, I don't feel that people need to stop using the word "humanity" if it offends someone.

Another point I made is that in the not-so-distant-past there was no issue with the term mankind, except maybe with those "7 purple haired lesbians". Now:

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10539
Purdue writing guide: Words with 'MAN' 'should be avoided'

For starters, that site and its headline are quite slanted. When quoting directly from the Purdue writing guide, I'm seeing words like "advises" and "suggests." It isn't some ban on ordinary words. Suggesting students use more gender-neutral vocabulary when not talking about a specific gender is pretty reasonable and wise. Schools are a place to grow. That means changing the level you're on for a higher level. Being specific and inclusive w/ language should not be a partisan issue.

I think the thing is... I likely will use them interchangeably too. But when we make it this huge battle, where one side feels one way and we fight fight fight them on it... I think it is just counterproductive. And the way that some people talk about feminists and all of that... like they are some horrible harpies intent on destroying the United States... its just SUCH over the top rhetoric.

Last edited:
For starters, that site and its headline are quite slanted. When quoting directly from the Purdue writing guide, I'm seeing words like "advises" and "suggests." It isn't some ban on ordinary words. Suggesting students use more gender-neutral vocabulary when not talking about a specific gender is pretty reasonable and wise. Schools are a place to grow. That means changing the level you're on for a higher level. Being specific and inclusive w/ language should not be a partisan issue.

You thinking it's reasonable and wise to advise students to stop using words like mankind is opinion and not fact. I think it's silly and contrived. You thinking that students who don't use the word humanity because the word man is it it puts them on a higher level that someone that uses that word is also your opinion and not fact.

I think the thing is... I likely will use them interchangeably too. But when we make it this huge battle, where one side feels one way and we fight fight fight them on it... I think it is just counterproductive. And the way that some people talk about feminists and all of that... like they are some horrible harpies intent on destroying the United States... its just SUCH over the top rhetoric.

Don't blame conservatives for how modern day feminists portray themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT