ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina- Duke game

Maybe he wasn’t taking a shot at any other rivalry.
Maybe he was stating facts that it’s always played in February & has the largest viewership.

Reactions: tw3301
Everything you say is biased. Long winded or consicise, it's still biased.

The easiest way to settle this is, did Coach K bring up UL/UK?

I've been really lazy over this story. Can I find a clip of K bringing up UL/UK recently?

Huh? Someone brought up that UK/UL play only once, as if that’s an advantage. I explained why I don’t think that’s any better. That’s more biased than the original idea? Or you insisting that UK/UL is a bigger rivalry? I mean... it’s just my take.

And the MUCH easier way to settle it is just look at what every single human who is not a UK fan says is a bigger rivalry. Simple.

Feels like you’ve sort of been on my junk lately. Am I imagining it?

Find the pic you want, right click on it to copy the url. Copy it. Paste it into your post. If you’re doing it on an iPad you need to select the portrait icon first, then paste the copied url there.

I’ve tried everything man. I’m doing this on an IPhone if that helps any.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
The fact that UK and UL play once a year isn’t *better*; it’s just different. Personally I like the way Duke/UNC works better... you have the first game, and then the second game is the “Do you dominate your opponent this year, or can they fight to make it even” game, and THEN you get the barn burner of meeting near the end of ACC tournament, where SO much is often on the line... the chance at a ACC title, the chance at a one seed, the chance to go one up on the other team (or even sweep them)... having several games lets each year become a series of games that creates an overall story; it isn’t just “we meet once and that’s it, and it rarely has any real implications.”

That whole thing about K taking shots is BS. Looks more like whoever that is on twitter trying to stir up trouble than anything serious.

All good points and again, I’m not saying UK/UL is a better rivalry I’m just saying it’s right up there. If ESPN hyped it as much as they do the Duke/UNc game it would be just as big imo. I love watching the Duke/UNc game. I like watching all big time matchups.

Huh? Someone brought up that UK/UL play only once, as if that’s an advantage. I explained why I don’t think that’s any better. That’s more biased than the original idea? Or you insisting that UK/UL is a bigger rivalry? I mean... it’s just my take.

And the MUCH easier way to settle it is just look at what every single human who is not a UK fan says is a bigger rivalry. Simple.

Feels like you’ve sort of been on my junk lately. Am I imagining it?

Again, all good points but to be fair I’ll also say that if ESPN had been hyping up the UK/UL or any other big time rivalry since the early 90’s that game would seem bigger than all other rivalries also. Again, not taking anything away from the Duke/UNc game, it’s great, but ESPN hypes the hell outta it. It’s a cash cow for them!

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Again, all good points but to be fair I’ll also say that if ESPN had been hyping up the UK/UL or any other big time rivalry since the early 90’s that game would seem bigger than all other rivalries also. Again, not taking anything away from the Duke/UNc game, it’s great, but ESPN hypes the hell outta it. It’s a cash cow for them!

Oh, possibly. But there is the issue that A) the UK/Louisville rivalry has been really uneven, which makes it a little less gripping, and B) whereas both UNC and Duke are basically perennial national title contenders, only UK is really that for you guys... Louisville is perfectly fine, but not in the same class, except in spurts of a few years here and a few years there... Hell, even you guys call them “little brother”:)

Listen, I’m not saying UK/Louisville isn’t one of the great basketball rivalries. Obviously it is. My only problem is when people say that Duke/UNC is just the product of media hype, or a slightly smaller problem when they try to argue that other rivalries are obviously bigger. Just like I think no team other than UK has an argument for “greatest program of all time,” I don’t think any other rivalry has an real argument for “greatest basketball rivalry of all time,” although a bunch of them certainly can try.

Oh, possibly. But there is the issue that A) the UK/Louisville rivalry has been really uneven, which makes it a little less gripping, and B) whereas both UNC and Duke are basically perennial national title contenders, only UK is really that for you guys... Louisville is perfectly fine, but not in the same class, except in spurts of a few years here and a few years there... Hell, even you guys call them “little brother”:)

Listen, I’m not saying UK/Louisville isn’t one of the great basketball rivalries. Obviously it is. My only problem is when people say that Duke/UNC is just the product of media hype, or a slightly smaller problem when they try to argue that other rivalries are obviously bigger. Just like I think no team other than UK has an argument for “greatest program of all time,” I don’t think any other rivalry has an real argument for “greatest basketball rivalry of all time,” although a bunch of them certainly can try.
Well said. UK is the greatest program of all time,without question. Duke/UNC rivalry comes close to the same as a factual statement. Others can try and argue, but history and stats show otherwise.

We all like to take shots and jest at times due to being a message board, but you're are right on comparing UK to UNC/Duke. If only UL would uphold their end of the legislative bargain.

Also,UNC>Duke on court. Off court I'd say Duke fans>UNC fans.

Pure snowflake bystander, I root for Duke between the two. Nothing to do with them being farther behind UNC on challenging UK's all time records.

I guess it goes back to UNC fans realizing they've had more success against UK than Duke. I'm insecure about that.

We're gaining ground, and we're on the up yo of the yo-yo. But still, they have that one pesky stat which Duke doesn't have.

Last edited:
The only thing I will say UK/UL might have over Duke/UNC is nastiness and lack of mutual respect. Carolina and Duke are both blue bloods, and I think one recognizes the other in that manner. Kentucky has a very lopsided advantage in our rivalry, and Louisville isn't a blue blood, even though they are still one of the premier programs in the sport.

@TheDude1 said it well, its kind of hard to dispute any game being better than Duke and UNC in our game. That being said, I love our rivalry, and I love the feeling in this city on game day when the Cats and Cards play.

The only thing I will say UK/UL might have over Duke/UNC is nastiness and lack of mutual respect. Carolina and Duke are both blue bloods, and I think one recognizes the other in that manner. Kentucky has a very lopsided advantage in our rivalry, and Louisville isn't a blue blood, even though they are still one of the premier programs in the sport.

@TheDude1 said it well, its kind of hard to dispute any game being better than Duke and UNC in our game. That being said, I love our rivalry, and I love the feeling in this city on game day when the Cats and Cards play.

I think the UL/UK animosity is pretty bad, because you guys all live there. That's where Duke/UNC fails a bit... while UNC fans/grads are often local (it is a state school) Duke grads and fans tend to be more spread out, which leads to less day-to-day interaction.

I think the UL/UK animosity is pretty bad, because you guys all live there. That's where Duke/UNC fails a bit... while UNC fans/grads are often local (it is a state school) Duke grads and fans tend to be more spread out, which leads to less day-to-day interaction.
Plus there's less of you.

Also,UNC>Duke on court. Off court I'd say Duke fans>UNC fans.

Pure snowflake bystander, I root for Duke between the two. Nothing to do with them being farther behind UNC on challenging UK's all time records.

I guess it goes back to UNC fans realizing they've had more success against UK than Duke. I'm insecure about that.

We're gaining ground, and we're on the up yo of the yo-yo. But still, they have that one pesky stat which Duke doesn't have.

UNC has more success against duke than UK. I mean we play twice a year maybe three. Also a lot of duke fans don’t understand that they did play basketball prior to so when all time is mentioned mention the coaches prior to k. More games played means more wins. I do wish we played UK every year but the ACC going to a 20 game schedule killed that.

Well said! That’s exactly what I was saying without saying if that makes sense.

UNC has more success against duke than UK. I mean we play twice a year maybe three. Also a lot of duke fans don’t understand that they did play basketball prior to so when all time is mentioned mention the coaches prior to k. More games played means more wins. I do wish we played UK every year but the ACC going to a 20 game schedule killed that.

Actually, UNC has won 29 of 46 against UK (63% win percentage) and 139 of 252 against Duke (55% win percentage.) When you factor in how even Duke and UNC have been in most of our lifetimes (there's that INSANE stat, that Duke/UNC are 51-50 in the last 101 games, with a grand total of 2 points differential) I think it's fair to say UNC has had more success against UK (although obviously not in raw numbers.) I feel like UNC's success against UK is one of the stranger and more noticeable outliers in blueblood vs blueblood records, when they are discussed?

Reactions: Quavarius
Here's something that most people overlook with the Platek-Moore no-call. Moore had his arm on Platek's back, he was running towards the ball. Platek knew he was there. Moore was going for the angle, and Platek kicked his left leg forward. Almost seemed like Platek initiated the contact.

moore-platek.jpg

Also, Bacot fouled Carey in a similar no-call situation.

Reactions: TheDude1
I agree completely. When I saw it live, from that angle, it didn’t seem to me that Platek had an angle to the ball that the Duke guy didn’t have. There was obviously contact, but I didn't see the Duke guy has initiating it in a way that was a foul.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukedevilz
Here's something that most people overlook with the Platek-Moore no-call. Moore had his arm on Platek's back, he was running towards the ball. Platek knew he was there. Moore was going for the angle, and Platek kicked his left leg forward. Almost seemed like Platek initiated the contact.

moore-platek.jpg

Also, Bacot fouled Carey in a similar no-call situation.

Since it's ok to bitch about calls. I wasn't going to bring this up.

I didn't think reasonable basketball people used still shots? I thought we all had more sense than that. I would post 100 different still shots that would point to Duke fouls. We could for every game. Everyone except a few Duke fans knew it was a foul. That really isn't even the debate. It's a weird angle to try and take that stance. It certainly wasn't the reason Duke won though. There isn't even a reason to try and make this argument tbh.

Reactions: RipThru
I didn't think reasonable basketball people used still shots? I thought we all had more sense than that. I would post 100 different still shots that would point to Duke fouls. We could for every game. Everyone except a few Duke fans knew it was a foul. That really isn't even the debate. It's a weird angle to try and take that stance. It certainly wasn't the reason Duke won though. There isn't even a reason to try and make this argument tbh.
bwaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa. Passive aggressive pussy

How about we slow it down a little. What do the Carolina faithful want to complain about now? Maybe this angle isn't 100% conclusive, but it sure looks like Platek extends his knee into Moore.

Duke fans trying to feel better about it. Who really gives a shit? The game is over. Duke won. Move on.
Feel better how? Why do we need to feel better. I am still surprised that Duke ever loses based on UK and UNc fans responses to our wins. Seems Duke has never won a game unless the refs help. And that's a lot of games K has won.

I wouldn't give a shit about hoops this year if I was a UNc fan either.

Don't worry, baseball starts soon.

Lol, I mean, he put his arm into Platek before AP put his leg out so seems like a foul on Moore happenend first and he knocked the ball OOB, and we all pretty much agree that even if they get the call right UNC would still find a way to lose. I find this whole obsession with this to be weird. Is anyone here actually blaming the game on this? Maybe I missed it.

Reactions: uncfan in ky
Uh, I can only speak for myself, but I am not trying to feel better or anything... there's nothing to feel better about. I'm genuinely curious about it, from a refs perspective, because when I saw it I didn't think there was a clear foul but other people seem to think there definitely is. That's why I tagged Borden. It was just one play out of the whole game, but we are on a message board discussing it, so why not?

You guys seem all in on justifying something people aren't even arguing about much anymore. I've said all along I didn't even think the missed call was that bad. The bigger issue is why they would call it out on UNC. That was where I thought they missed it. The initial call is what can not be overturned and a reasonable position would have been to think it went out on Duke, which it probably did. Again, it really wouldn't have mattered. That isn't BS either. UNC would have found a way to lose it. Just watch them play any game this year and you know this.

I think there is a good case to be made that Duke didn't deserve to win. UNC was the better team and some pretty fortunate things had to happen for them to blow it even with the awful way they finish games. However, IMO, there is zero case to be made that Duke won it because of the officiating.

I think there is a good case to be made that Duke didn't deserve to win. UNC was the better team and some pretty fortunate things had to happen for them to blow it even with the awful way they finish games. However, IMO, there is zero case to be made that Duke won it because of the officiating.
Thank you. I agree.

Cory, you went on a long rant and in fact I think you used a still photo when you thought Derryck Thornton fouled Joel Berry in 2016 on the last play at the Dean Dome. If you’ve changed your stance, then cool. Because it took you a long while to conclude that it wasn’t a foul.

Feel better how? Why do we need to feel better. I am still surprised that Duke ever loses based on UK and UNc fans responses to our wins. Seems Duke has never won a game unless the refs help. And that's a lot of games K has won.

I wouldn't give a shit about hoops this year if I was a UNc fan either.

Don't worry, baseball starts soon.
Yes it does, Friday to be exact.

ADVERTISEMENT