ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina- Duke game

I don't mind them. I don't love them but they are ok. I don't hate them as much as some apparently do.

I wouldn’t want them full time but I love the idea of honoring teams from the past.

As for UNCs, i'm not a fan. I like the numbers on the chest, and argyle down the sides. The old style looks cool on the old timers. I like the battleship jerseys better than these.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
As for UNCs, i'm not a fan. I like the numbers on the chest, and argyle down the sides. The old style looks cool on the old timers. I like the battleship jerseys better than these.
My favorite are the Jordan era jerseys.
I also really liked the platinum jerseys they wore many years ago.

My favorite are the Jordan era jerseys.
I also really liked the platinum jerseys they wore many years ago.

I like the Jordan era jerseys also... I like the Platinum ones a little less. When it comes to UNC jerseys I'd say I'm a traditionalist. If we went with a rotation of different jerseys, I wouldn't mind the Platinum ones.

I think they are god awful. I think for this game Duke/UNc should wear throw back jerseys and then if they meet in the ACC tourney or NCAA tourney wear something like this or regular jerseys. Never been a fan of the big logo being on the chest.

Last edited:
I hate them. For a one game situation I can certainly take them, but I don’t know, there’s a reason they’re a thing of the past.

Both schools have pretty classically styled unis to begin with, so I don’t really see the need.

Reactions: RipThru and tw3301
I hate them. For a one game situation I can certainly take them, but I don’t know, there’s a reason they’re a thing of the past.

Both schools have pretty classically styled unis to begin with, so I don’t really see the need.
Hype? this year UNC sucks, ESPN, media spends a lot of money hyping this game as the "best rivalry" (which we all know isn't true), but anyway, they now need gimmicks. And it's working, this thread alone shows, gimmicks work and will make ppl talk about the game. It's not the product on the court. It's the hype behind it which sells.

"Watch this game so you can see what they're wearing".

Reactions: Random UK Fan
Hype? this year UNC sucks, ESPN, media spends a lot of money hyping this game as the "best rivalry" (which we all know isn't true), but anyway, they now need gimmicks. And it's working, this thread alone shows, gimmicks work and will make ppl talk about the game. It's not the product on the court. It's the hype behind it which sells.

Can’t argue with that, it’s already yielded a dozen posts on a college basketball board and explains why they showed you what they’re wearing beforehand.

Can’t argue with that, it’s already yielded a dozen posts on a college basketball board and explains why they showed you what they’re wearing beforehand.
Another thought, Someone could have just posted "UNC/Duke game coming up",and it probably would have resulted in the same amount of posts. It is a college basketball forum after all. Why over sell?

Is anyone here going to now watch due to the uniforms? I'm being cynical I know. I'm working on that. I need to focus more on good than bad.

Yeah, no.

Doesn't matter what the teams are ranked or what's happened so far. The Duke/Carolina game is often a great, great game.

Don't let the bitterness of having a crappy rival and a down year get you salty.

Yeah, no.

Doesn't matter what the teams are ranked or what's happened so far. The Duke/Carolina game is often a great, great game.

Don't let the bitterness of having a crappy rival and a down year get you salty.
Your insecurities are telling on yourself.

Also,no matter where UK and UL are ranked we still produce great games. Neither are the best rivalries in sports. Hell, when KU and MU start playing again, they're going to jump to the top due to history. UNC/Duke, UK/UL can't match their history of hatred.

Dont be conceited or take things personal.

Some of you are overthinking this.
It’s not a gimmick to get people to watch. It’s the 100th year of Carolina- Duke basketball.
It’s just a way to honor the series by wearing throwbacks to the very 1st game.

Stealing some pics from the Duke board...

iNZjw9j.jpg

BkqbIHY.jpg

16626_10105966122769034_922762666_n.jpg

Desegregation was kind of the end of your dominance. Heck, I'd say there are better programs than UK since then. But, hey, you'll always be the dominant force during segregation. No one can take that from y'all. Winking
I could have swore we've won multiple titles since then, but you're probably right.

Your insecurities are telling on yourself.

Also,no matter where UK and UL are ranked we still produce great games. Neither are the best rivalries in sports. Hell, when KU and MU start playing again, they're going to jump to the top due to history. UNC/Duke, UK/UL can't match their history of hatred.

Dont be conceited or take things personal.

Conceited or personal? Dude, I'm not the one saying we all know Duke/UNC isn't the best rivalry, acting like some new uniforms from Nike are some sort of ESPN hype to get people to watch, and saying that the only reason people are going to discuss Duke/UNC is because of a uniform.

And now you are trying to say that KU and MU is going to be the best rivalry in college basketball?

Come on man. You are being ridiculous. I'm sorry if my assumptions about why you are being weird about it were off, but UK *is* having a tougher season this year, and let's face it, a lot of UK/UL people get oddly "upset" about the Duke/UNC rivalry. Duke/UNC is always a really big game for anyone who loves college ball, it involves two of the biggest programs in history, it's nearly always a hard fought game, and many people watch it, new uniform or not.

Conceited or personal? Dude, I'm not the one saying we all know Duke/UNC isn't the best rivalry, acting like some new uniforms from Nike are some sort of ESPN hype to get people to watch, and saying that the only reason people are going to discuss Duke/UNC is because of a uniform.

And now you are trying to say that KU and MU is going to be the best rivalry in college basketball?

Come on man. You are being ridiculous. I'm sorry if my assumptions about why you are being weird about it were off, but UK *is* having a tougher season this year, and let's face it, a lot of UK/UL people get oddly "upset" about the Duke/UNC rivalry. Duke/UNC is always a really big game for anyone who loves college ball, it involves two of the biggest programs in history, it's nearly always a hard fought game, and many people watch it, new uniform or not.
I didn't mean to trigger you. Do you think UNC/Duke is factually the greatest rivalry in sports, or would you say it's your opinion and subjective?

...and IMO the jerseys are a gimmick. UNC sucks balls this year, It would be a huge failure of Duke's part to lose to them.

I didn't mean to trigger you. Do you think UNC/Duke is factually the greatest rivalry in sports, or would you say it's your opinion and subjective?

Nobody thinks I am triggered, including you. Stop trying too hard.

Obviously it is subjective, but when you make these big sweeping comments like "best rivalry" (which we all know isn't true)"... well, you are literally saying that WE all know Duke/UNC isn't the biggest rivalry in college basketball, which is obviously untrue. You are literally doing (making a factual statement about a subjective opinion) exactly what you are trying to say I did.

Don't go trying to make this about me, Lurk. You posted sort of a shit post, and followed it up with another shit post about KU and MU being the biggest rivalry in college basketball. Don't get upset if you get called out for it.

Nobody thinks I am triggered, including you. Stop trying too hard.

Obviously it is subjective, but when you make these big sweeping comments like "best rivalry" (which we all know isn't true)"... well, you are literally saying that WE all know Duke/UNC isn't the biggest rivalry in college basketball, which is obviously untrue. You are literally doing (making a factual statement) exactly what you are trying to say I did.

Don't go trying to make this about me, Lurk. You posted sort of a shit post, and followed it up with another shit post about KU and MU being the biggest rivalry in college basketball. Don't get upset if you get called out for it.
Duke and UNC isn't the biggest rivalry in sports. College basketball isn't the biggest sport in the world. Nothing I said was untrue. also, KU and MU has much more hatred and a history other teams can't match. I'm not making this about me or you. I'm not even going to defend myself by lashing back at you. I think these opinions on mine are substantiated by a very large collection of bystanders.

Re read my original post and tell me where I said something that would warrant personal posts.

Clearly not much of a rivalry on the court (KU 172 - MU 96)...but there isn't a rivalry with more pure-hatred in the United States, at any level, collegiate or pro, than KU vs. MU. This goes back to the slavers (MU) and Quantrill's Raid on Lawrence in the 1860's. Mizzou fans are legitimately the worst people on the planet.

Nightmare-Fuel.jpg

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I could have swore we've won multiple titles since then, but you're probably right.
I think the Texas Western win is about the time teams realized it was about time to give blacks a chance. Since then the title count is such...
UCLA 9
UNC 5
Duke 5
UCONN 4
Louisville 4
UK 4
Indiana 3
Villanova 3
Kansas 2
Florida 2
Mich St 2
NC St 2

I said you weren't the dominant force in hoops since then. Clearly, you are not.

I think the Texas Western win is about the time teams realized it was about time to give blacks a chance. Since then the title count is such...
UCLA 9
UNC 5
Duke 5
UCONN 4
Louisville 4
UK 4
Indiana 3
Villanova 3
Kansas 2
Florida 2
UL has 4 titles? Even counting the vacated one, they don't have 4 titles.

Reactions: RipThru
Duke and UNC isn't the biggest rivalry in sports. College basketball isn't the biggest sport in the world. Nothing I said was untrue. also, KU and MU has much more hatred and a history other teams can't match. I'm not making this about me or you. I'm not even going to defend myself by lashing back at you. I think these opinions on mine are substantiated by a very large collection of bystanders.

Re read my original post and tell me where I said something that would warrant personal posts.

This is a college basketball forum. I am not worried about college football rivalries or MLB rivalries. We are on a college basketball forum the day before the first Duke/UNC game discussing the game.

But yes, something you said WAS untrue.

Hype? this year UNC sucks, ESPN, media spends a lot of money hyping this game as the "best rivalry" (which we all know isn't true),

There's the first untrue thing; we do not all know this.

but anyway, they now need gimmicks.

There's the second untrue thing, both in terms of the Duke/UNC game needing gimmicks, and second, implying that ESPN is behind the jerseys.

And it's working, this thread alone shows, gimmicks work and will make ppl talk about the game. It's not the product on the court.

There's the third untrue thing. The biggest reason behind why people discuss Duke/UNC isn't because of gimmicks; it is because they are usually great games... ie product on the court.

It's the hype behind it which sells.

Fourth untrue thing; nobody has ever said "Watch the Duke/UNC game because they will be wearing these strange alternate jerseys."

So basically everything you said wasn't true.

Anyway, I'm bored by this, so we can be done.

Oh, and no, your opinions are not substantiated by a large collection of bystanders.

ADVERTISEMENT