ADVERTISEMENT

25 best coaching hires in the last 25 years

Penny?

tenor.gif

Not going to read the article, but I assume hiring Dave Leitao the first time was probably at around #21 while hiring him the second time had to be in the top 5 just for the "who the **** would ever do that" aspect of it.

Doesn't have to be. Cal has been better at Kentucky than Self has at Kansas with less years to work with.
Haha. No he hasn’t. You’re narrowing down their entire resumes to 2 things. Might as well just come out and say UCLA has been better than Kentucky all time in less seasons.

Reactions: cooljeff
Doesn't have to be. Cal has been better at Kentucky than Self has at Kansas with less years to work with.
The lack of titles Self produced from Embiid, Robinson, and other elite bigs while Cal got one out of a lesser collegiate big in AD is certainly glaring, but overall it’s been close to even for their tenures.

I'll wait for you conference titles argument
That’s only 1 factor. How about NCAA seedings, total wins, record against top 10 teams, weeks ranked, average tournament seed and all of that other stuff? The season is a lot longer than 4 games in March. You have to factor all of that in.

The lack of titles Self produced from Embiid, Robinson, and other elite bigs while Cal got one out of a lesser collegiate big in AD is certainly glaring, but overall it’s been close to even for their tenures.
I agree it’s close. I think the deciding factor is post season success. Self has probably been the better regular season coach

Penny doesn't merit any consideration at all.

Three obvious omissions are Billy Donovan (Florida), Thad Matta (Ohio State), and John Beilein (Michigan).

I think Ben Howland (UCLA) and Brad Stevens (Butler) should also be in the running.

Three obvious omissions are Billy Donovan (Florida), Thad Matta (Ohio State), and John Beilein (Michigan).

I think Ben Howland (UCLA) and Brad Stevens (Butler) should also be in the running.

ESPN has to show a little support for that American conference

All 5 of those are bad misses.

Reactions: dukedevilz

To be fair, Embiid missed the NCAA Tourney due to injuries. And he did make the national championship game with Robinson at least.

Reactions: cooljeff and KisteK
also taking a school to a different level is far more impressive than a coach continueing to win at the same level they are accustomed to.

I would probably put Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan at the top. Then a guy like Brad Stevens.

Reactions: jhmossy
For some reasons, they are limiting it to active coaches.

If they're going to limit it to active coaches, that's fine. But why include active coaches that are being recognized for a position that they no longer hold? Fred Hoiberg, Shaka Smart, Jamie Dixon, and Rick Pitino are all included. If those coaching hires deserve consideration, then so do the Billy Donovans and Thad Mattas of the world.

Who’s had better talent? How many Brady Morningstar’s and Tyrell Reed’s has Kentucky started?

We started Jarrod Polson one time. That’s pretty close right?

Christian Moody, Conor Teahen ,and Landen Lucas. If Cal doesn’t have elite talent he’s going to struggle.

Don’t forgot Kentucky Cal’s NIT run with Kentucky either

Cal’s good for about 10 losses (which equates to about 15 in a quality league) if he doesn’t have one of the greatest rosters of all time. And he can’t compile those teams anymore.

Poor hire.

Christian Moody, Conor Teahen ,and Landen Lucas. If Cal doesn’t have elite talent he’s going to struggle.

Don’t forgot Kentucky Cal’s NIT run with Kentucky either

UNc wasn’t even gonna make the NIT this year! I’d say that’s the case with all coaches.

Cal’s good for about 10 losses (which equates to about 15 in a quality league) if he doesn’t have one of the greatest rosters of all time. And he can’t compile those teams anymore.

Poor hire.

Self's good for a Big 12 title and shitting down his leg when it matters. He should go coach soccer where people care about the regular season.

It said only active college coaches were considered. So no Stevens, Donovan, or Beilein.

If they're going to limit it to active coaches, that's fine. But why include active coaches that are being recognized for a position that they no longer hold? Fred Hoiberg, Shaka Smart, Jamie Dixon, and Rick Pitino are all included. If those coaching hires deserve consideration, then so do the Billy Donovans and Thad Mattas of the world.

I thought the exact same thing.

Reactions: dukedevilz
So much cringe.

Noting MSU has “the Big Ten’s most recent title” as a real feather in Izzo’s cap, and “Penny > Pitino at UL” both made me laugh out loud.

ADVERTISEMENT