ADVERTISEMENT

25 best coaching hires in the last 25 years

also taking a school to a different level is far more impressive than a coach continueing to win at the same level they are accustomed to.

I would probably put Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan at the top. Then a guy like Brad Stevens.

Another foolish attempt to discredit the top programs. You do realize that coaches at top schools got there by taking lesser schools to a different level, right? With exception of Roy.

So are you saying you think Auburn is worse than Umass? Glad you know how trash Auburn is historically. I bet it takes a lot to admit that.

Not in the argument, but yeah, AU arguably had the worst P5 basketball program in the nation under Tony Barbee. Barbee may be the worst coach in SEC basketball history and that’s saying a lot. He’s definitely the worst in AU history and a pretty shitty person.

For Pearl to make AU arguably the best SEC basketball program over the last 3 years says a lot. With that said, I believe Cal is one of those guys like Bruce, Chris Beard, Self, Hamilton etc who could transform any program and take them to new heights.

Lots of good coaches out there.

Bill Self went to an Elite 8 at Tulsa and Illinois. Cal went to a final four at UMass and the championship game at Memphis. It's almost like elite coaches are at elite schools for a reason...

I guess for the reason they have shaka at #15. This list is trash.

Shaka is maybe the worst in the country at getting a bunch of talent and doing shit with it. I expect the same this year with Greg Brown.

also taking a school to a different level is far more impressive than a coach continueing to win at the same level they are accustomed to.

I would probably put Tony Bennett, Jay Wright, Billy Donovan at the top. Then a guy like Brad Stevens.
And Beilein at Michigan. We went an entire decade with no March Madness and facilities from the Dark Ages. Four B10 titles and two runner ups nationally.....while being voted the cleanest coach by his peers. That is a shit list, period. I can name several others very easily without much thought.

Reactions: AuHoosier420
And Beilein at Michigan. We went an entire decade with no March Madness and facilities from the Dark Ages. Four B10 titles and two runner ups nationally.....while being voted the cleanest coach by his peers. That is a shit list, period. I can name several others very easily without much thought.
They say up front that only active coaches were considered

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
I would think that Fran should be on there somewhere before some of these other.
1 of 4 coaches to take bottom of their leagues to the NCAAT 4 Different schools. with far less talent than those listed, even at Iowa he does not have the type of talent than most of those on that list.

if you consider what coaches have done thru out the last 20+ years,

I would think that Fran should be on there somewhere before some of these other.
1 of 4 coaches to take bottom of their leagues to the NCAAT 4 Different schools. with far less talent than those listed, even at Iowa he does not have the type of talent than most of those on that list.

if you consider what coaches have done thru out the last 20+ years,
Fran has won a whopping 3 NCAA tournament games in his 10 seasons at Iowa and his overall record there is 194-143.

He may not even be a top 25 coach in the sport today and he certainly shouldn’t even make a list of the top 100 hires of the last 25 seasons.

Change my mind @hawkit3113

Fran has won a whopping 3 NCAA tournament games in his 10 seasons at Iowa and his overall record there is 194-143.

He may not even be a top 25 coach in the sport today and he certainly shouldn’t even make a list of the top 100 hires of the last 25 seasons.

I am with you. He has a lot to prove.

Reactions: schoonerwest
Not at all. Now go insult others.

tenor.gif

I am with you. He has a lot to prove.
Before this past season did the fans want him gone? Surely at some point during his tenure the people wanted to get rid of him. Once Garza is gone you gotta think he's gonna go back to 19-13 seasons, but as long as his teams finish in the top 6 of the BT that's all that matters, amirite?

Before this past season did the fans want him gone? Surely at some point during his tenure the people wanted to get rid of him. Once Garza is gone you gotta think he's gonna go back to 19-13 seasons, but as long as his teams finish in the top 6 of the BT that's all that matters, amirite?

Yes. And I was one of them. We were losing and he kept recruiting his kids, which was not good

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

Fran has over 400 career wins and is just one of 4 coaches that took over losing teams and turned them into NCAAT teams that were far less talented,

with Iowa he took a team that was coming off 3 seasons of winning 6 BT games, 5 BT games and 4 BT games. the 8 seasons before that Iowa made the NCAAT 3 times and won just once. that meant that Iowa went to the NCAAT 3 times in 11 seasons winning once.

this after Davis went to the NCAAT 9 out of 13 seasons with 9-0 1st rnd record 2 sweet 16 finishes and a Elite 8 finish. also the fans had turned their backs on this team to the point where the avg fan attendance was 5500 in a 15,500 seat arena.

this program was a toxic waste site, and in 9 season Iowa has been to the NCAAT 4 times with 3 wins, guided Iowa to the 3rd and 4th best win total by 4 year starters in the history of Iowa
in year 10 this would have been the 5th NCAAT with who knows what type of finish.
Fran has produced these
4 1st Team All BT players
2 2nd rnd NBA picks
1 FR AA
1 2nd team AA
1 1st Team Consensus AA

YES he had taken 8 years to get this program to where they are today. but Fran was building this team for the long haul not for a 1 year flash in the pan
this season
SR Garza top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
RSSR Jordan 4* by ESPN 3* by Rivals
JR Wieskamp top 100 4* by ESPN and Rivals
RSJR Nunge 3* by both 1st team all State large class 4A and finished 2nd in the voting for Indiana's Mr. BB
RSJR Connor top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
SO Toussaint 4* by ESPN 3* by Rivals NYC POY.
RSSO Fredrick 3* by both Kentucky Gatorade player of the year
RSFR Patrick 4* top 100 by both
this season they lose 2 4* players but will return 4 4* players 3 of which were top 100 by both ESPN and Rivals
top FR
PG Ulis 1st team all State largest class 4A in Illinois
SG Perkins 1st team all State largest class 4A in Indiana finished 2nd in the voting for Indiana's Mr. BB.
SF Kris Murray 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder and leader in steal for DME Post HS Grad school Academy
PF Keegan Murray leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder and 1st in blocks per game for DME Academy, Named the most Oustanding Player at the National Post Grad Invitational
FR Ogundele was sick the 1st semester and balloned up to 275 lbs.
he spent the time after getting healthy working on getting his weight back down to 245 lbs where it should be.

also he did not arrive in the US till he was 16. it was in his 7th -9th grade that he grew from a 6'2 soccer player to a 6'9 now 6'11 BB player. so the jury is out on how good or bad he will be.

the best thing most of these FR won't be needed in their FR season
and limited action as SO's.

Fran has over 400 career wins and is just one of 4 coaches that took over losing teams and turned them into NCAAT teams that were far less talented,

with Iowa he took a team that was coming off 3 seasons of winning 6 BT games, 5 BT games and 4 BT games. the 8 seasons before that Iowa made the NCAAT 3 times and won just once. that meant that Iowa went to the NCAAT 3 times in 11 seasons winning once.

this after Davis went to the NCAAT 9 out of 13 seasons with 9-0 1st rnd record 2 sweet 16 finishes and a Elite 8 finish. also the fans had turned their backs on this team to the point where the avg fan attendance was 5500 in a 15,500 seat arena.

this program was a toxic waste site, and in 9 season Iowa has been to the NCAAT 4 times with 3 wins, guided Iowa to the 3rd and 4th best win total by 4 year starters in the history of Iowa
in year 10 this would have been the 5th NCAAT with who knows what type of finish.
Fran has produced these
4 1st Team All BT players
2 2nd rnd NBA picks
1 FR AA
1 2nd team AA
1 1st Team Consensus AA

YES he had taken 8 years to get this program to where they are today. but Fran was building this team for the long haul not for a 1 year flash in the pan
this season
SR Garza top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
RSSR Jordan 4* by ESPN 3* by Rivals
JR Wieskamp top 100 4* by ESPN and Rivals
RSJR Nunge 3* by both 1st team all State large class 4A and finished 2nd in the voting for Indiana's Mr. BB
RSJR Connor top 100 4* by ESPN 4* by Rivals
SO Toussaint 4* by ESPN 3* by Rivals NYC POY.
RSSO Fredrick 3* by both Kentucky Gatorade player of the year
RSFR Patrick 4* top 100 by both
this season they lose 2 4* players but will return 4 4* players 3 of which were top 100 by both ESPN and Rivals
top FR
PG Ulis 1st team all State largest class 4A in Illinois
SG Perkins 1st team all State largest class 4A in Indiana finished 2nd in the voting for Indiana's Mr. BB.
SF Kris Murray 2nd leading scorer, leading rebounder and leader in steal for DME Post HS Grad school Academy
PF Keegan Murray leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder and 1st in blocks per game for DME Academy, Named the most Oustanding Player at the National Post Grad Invitational
FR Ogundele was sick the 1st semester and balloned up to 275 lbs.
he spent the time after getting healthy working on getting his weight back down to 245 lbs where it should be.

also he did not arrive in the US till he was 16. it was in his 7th -9th grade that he grew from a 6'2 soccer player to a 6'9 now 6'11 BB player. so the jury is out on how good or bad he will be.

the best thing most of these FR won't be needed in their FR season
and limited action as SO's.
Everything you just posted suggests he’s not worthy of being included on the OP list. He’s a very average coach.

Top to bottom it probably was.

But I don't think the top team would have gone far in the NCAA. (Of course we will never know.)

If I remember correctly, KenPom had it BT, Big East.... again, doesn't matter a whole lot now since we didn't get a chance to see things play out.

I will say, I am pleasantly surprised that the Big East, since realignment in 2013 has been fairly consistent top 3... with a #5 I think in 18-19

Reactions: englandnu
Everything you just posted suggests he’s not worthy of being included on the OP list. He’s a very average coach.
gee didn't avg coach turn losing programs into NCAAT team with far less talent,

in Fran's tenure these are the top rated players
2012 3rd year
Top 100 4* PG Gesell by both services
Top 50 4* C Woodbury by both services
these 2 as 4 year starters posted the 2nd best Winning season in Iowa's history with 25 and lost in the NIT Championship game to Baylor
as 4 year starters recorded the 3rd best win total in Iowa's history,
avg coach in your dreams
next 4*
Cook 4* by both
Jordan 4* by ESPN
Moss 4* by ESPN
Garza top 100 4* by ESPN
Conner top 100 4* by ESPN RS'd as a FR
Wieskamp top 100 4* by ESPN
Patrick top 100 4* by ESPN RS'd as a FR
2019 Toussaint 4* by ESPN

when Fran took over not even the top instate players would even give Iowa a 2nd look,

but since Woodbury who was a instate player turned UNCheats down the top instate players are now staying instate, plus players from DC, NY and schools Iowa never got players from are not only giving a 2nd look but they are now coming on unofficial and official visits, that's how bad it was at Iowa before and after he arrived.
the fans are coming back to where the attendance is topping 13,000 in a Arena built to hold 15,500 fans,

in the way to early polls they are as High as 5th and as low as 12th W/O Garza.
bracketts vary from a 2 seed to a 5 seed at the lowest, the 5 seed is based on Garza not being back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT