ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

E4qorHDXwAIeGAt

EVERYONE SHOULD AGREE TO WEAR TRAE YOUNG AVATARS TILL START OF NEXT SEASON!

....or forever to be honest.
He’s been the revelation of the playoffs. Can’t say enough good things about the kids. It’s weird but after seeing him go for 48 and 11 against a long defense with solid defensive personnel I don’t feel as bad about the Sixers shitting the bed (as bad…I’m still repairing that broken heart haha). But much respect to your guy. 3 Game 1s on the road he just threw his team on his back and willed them to a win.

He’s been the revelation of the playoffs. Can’t say enough good things about the kids. It’s weird but after seeing him go for 48 and 11 against a long defense with solid defensive personnel I don’t feel as bad about the Sixers shitting the bed (as bad…I’m still repairing that broken heart haha). But much respect to your guy. 3 Game 1s on the road he just threw his team on his back and willed them to a win.
He's been amazing. coming out story in front of our eyes.

He's been amazing. coming out story in front of our eyes.
What does Atlanta’s cap space look like this off season? Does anybody know? I’m wondering if they have room to get involved in courting a free agent. At the same time, this playoff run has likely increased the value of some of the role players as trade assets so maybe there’s something appealing they can work. I think their team would round out nicely with a solid number 2 option that is a two way player. Who is their 2nd now? It’s kind of by committee and based on matchups. They’d be really flipping good with a solid number 2 and then the by committee option based on matchups becomes the 3rd option any given night.

What does Atlanta’s cap space look like this off season? Does anybody know? I’m wondering if they have room to get involved in courting a free agent. At the same time, this playoff run has likely increased the value of some of the role players as trade assets so maybe there’s something appealing they can work. I think their team would round out nicely with a solid number 2 option that is a two way player. Who is their 2nd now? It’s kind of by committee and based on matchups. They’d be really flipping good with a solid number 2 and then the by committee option based on matchups becomes the 3rd option any given night.
You guys have the pieces. You're so close.

No cap space, we blew our load last summer. We still need to sign RFA John Collins this offseason. The good news is Gallo's third year is only guaranteed for $5 million.

As for a #2, keep in mind that we beat Philly without our second best player, DeAndre Hunter. he took a massive jump in his second year and should continue to improve. Looks like a potential all star at some point in his career and easily our best perimeter defensive player.

We also still have Cam Reddish who has been out since February. I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's ass and try and pretend he's been good, but defensively he looks good and will give us another long wing defender. Very interested to see how he develops under a real coach now that we have Nate.

Only piece we need to add is a back up PG. Lou Will doesn't cut it for me. If we can get a new solid back up PG our lineup will look like this next year...

Capela
Collins
Hunter
Bogi or Huerter
Trae

Okongwu (missed entire off season and first month of season, started looking good last month)
Gallo
Reddish
Huerter or Bogi
new back up PG

That's about as good a 10 man rotation and you'll find in the entire league.

No cap space, we blew our load last summer. We still need to sign RFA John Collins this offseason. The good news is Gallo's third year is only guaranteed for $5 million.

As for a #2, keep in mind that we beat Philly without our second best player, DeAndre Hunter. he took a massive jump in his second year and should continue to improve. Looks like a potential all star at some point in his career and easily our best perimeter defensive player.

We also still have Cam Reddish who has been out since February. I'm not going to blow smoke up anyone's ass and try and pretend he's been good, but defensively he looks good and will give us another long wing defender. Very interested to see how he develops under a real coach now that we have Nate.

Only piece we need to add is a back up PG. Lou Will doesn't cut it for me. If we can get a new solid back up PG our lineup will look like this next year...

Capela
Collins
Hunter
Bogi or Huerter
Trae

Okongwu (missed entire off season and first month of season, started looking good last month)
Gallo
Reddish
Huerter or Bogi
new back up PG

That's about as good a 10 man rotation and you'll find in the entire league.
I agree that Hunter is on track to be that guy. At the same time, it’s not a certainty that he will round into being that guy who will give you 18-20 you can pencil into the box score every night. I was thinking maybe turn two of three Bogi/John Collins/Huerter and a pick into a gamble on Klay Thompson. If there is a move you can make like that while still holding on to Hunter is that enticing to a Hawk fan?

I agree that Hunter is on track to be that guy. At the same time, it’s not a certainty that he will round into being that guy who will give you 18-20 you can pencil into the box score every night. I was thinking maybe turn two of three Bogi/John Collins/Huerter and a pick into a gamble on Klay Thompson. If there is a move you can make like that while still holding on to Hunter is that enticing to a Hawk fan?
No thanks on just about any trade. Very happy with the pieces we have. Hunter can and will definitely be that guy who gets us 18-20 per night. he was already starting to become that guy before he got hurt.

Klay Thompson isn't worth any of those players, let alone a package. He's 31 and coming off of 2 major injuries back to back.

Very happy with where we are at and see no reason to change anything other than the health of Hunter, Reddish and Bogi.

Reactions: GE Nole and jhmossy

Honestly I think they just need their guys to continue to grow together. Get Hunter back healthy. Year two for Capela and Young working together. Year 2 in the league for Okongwu, this time with an actual off season to develop.

It will be interesting to see what John Collins decides to do after he turned down a $90M extension last fall.

Hawks punted tonight game 3 will be much more like game 1. Given this team's turn around I see no major off season moves but don't know financials. Why do anything to shake it up?

Yea im all for letting the young core grow, and think Hunter will develop into a very nice #2. Hes young for his class iirc from his uva days, granted he was at uva 2 seasons, but still, whats not to like.

Cant believe collins turned down 90 mil, geeze he thibk he can get more on the market, hes a nice player but hardly irreplacable.

Yea im all for letting the young core grow, and think Hunter will develop into a very nice #2. Hes young for his class iirc from his uva days, granted he was at uva 2 seasons, but still, whats not to like.

Cant believe collins turned down 90 mil, geeze he thibk he can get more on the market, hes a nice player but hardly irreplacable.

I think Hunter was actually old for his class, not young. He had a red shirt year.

Clippers doing their very best to lose this. The shooting in this quarter has been atrocious.

maybe you're thinking of Cam Reddish. I believe he's young for his class.
Idk bc i sure dont remmember Hunter redshirtinng either.

I just remember him beating Louisvilles ass how many ever times he had the pleasure to play us, even when trailing by 4 pts with 2 seconds left.

I saw the score so i flipped over for the 4th quarter to find out 84-80 was the final 👀

Sometimes NBA players make bad shots look good because they’re so talented, and it always looks better when the ball is going through the hoop. This was not one of those times.

Last edited:
Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Idk bc i sure dont remmember Hunter redshirtinng either.

I just remember him beating Louisvilles ass how many ever times he had the pleasure to play us, even when trailing by 4 pts with 2 seconds left.

Hunter definitely redshirted his first year at UVA

Reactions: Villian07
He was also undefeated vs Louisville iirc. I only rememebr beating UVA once since we joined the acc, iirc the season covid canceled the tourney. Pretty sad being we play twice a year, but also a testament to thr program bennett has built at UVA.

my mistake on the redshirt, was anderson still there ahead of him? Yall pumped out some really nice 2gs/wings with the run of anderson, brogdon, hunter, guy/jerome(havent followed how their nba careers have started).

Maybe hunter was young for the class before he redshirted idk. Ill just take my crow well done. Helluva player regardless.

Reactions: jhmossy and GE Nole
He was also undefeated vs Louisville iirc. I only rememebr beating UVA once since we joined the acc, iirc the season covid canceled the tourney. Pretty sad being we play twice a year, but also a testament to thr program bennett has built at UVA.

my mistake on the redshirt, was anderson still there ahead of him? Yall pumped out some really nice 2gs/wings with the run of anderson, brogdon, hunter, guy/jerome(havent followed how their nba careers have started).

Maybe hunter was young for the class before he redshirted idk. Ill just take my crow well done. Helluva player regardless.

Yeah Justin Anderson was before Hunter. He left after his junior season. He shot like 40+ from 3 that year and capitalized on it to get drafted in first round. Earned around 7 million over his NBA career.

Louisville is 2-11 vs. UVA since joining the ACC. The two wins are the one you mentioned and a buzzer beater by Mathiang.

Yeah Justin Anderson was before Hunter. He left after his junior season. He shot like 40+ from 3 that year and capitalized on it to get drafted in first round. Earned around 7 million over his NBA career.

Louisville is 2-11 vs. UVA since joining the ACC. The two wins are the one you mentioned and a buzzer beater by Mathiang.
Oh yea sweet Mangos buzzer beater. Talking bout an unlikely guy to make a game winner. Although hes bounced around the g league i guess. I remember he also inadvertently broke andersons finger or something that cost uva a serious shot at a tourney run. That anderson team was the best uva team until the title team imo. (This millinium)

Reactions: jhmossy
Even though yall own us, uva players are hard to dislike. Really if it werent for guy and diakotes ridiculous hair i cant think of a single instance where thenplayers seemed to be “look at me” guys.

• Haha
Reactions: jhmossy
@Villian07 i think I’ve said this before but just want to say how much I’ve enjoyed having UL in the ACC. We’ve had some great hoops games with y’all all the way back to the Metro, but it seems like the intensity has stepped up a notch the last few years. (And the football games have been good too.)

FSU vs UL and FSU vs UVA are two of the matchups I look most forward to every year in basketball. Not just because there are some good UL posters here and I like jabbing with @jhmossy too. But the chess matches and styles of players that UVA and UL have, it’s just always fun to watch FSU match up with them.

I would enjoy both more if we won a few more 😂 yall both have owned us of late.

Love how fsu plays though, def my second fave acc team, well in basketball at least lol.

And yea weve had some good football games with yall for sure back in the day.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT