ADVERTISEMENT

2021 NBA playoffs discussion thread

These playoffs make me think vegas must have lost their ass with KC/TB both making the SB lol.

My thing on the injuries, are half the guys are made of glass anyways, kawaii/kyrie/embiid/AD, others are old af like Lebron/harden and the others are just unlucky.

Like, would trae have not sprained his ankle landing on the refs foot even in a normal offseason, or if he had 3 straight weeks of rest? Same for Giannis, if he lands like that on his knee is it not going to be the same hyperextended knee whether hed played three nights in a row or hadnt played in three months? The wear and tear injuries like lebron and harden i can somewhat buy are bc of the short offseason, but not the freak injuries. They suck but they are prt of it.

def dont agree that the there should be a asterisk.

no research for this but just body type of players in this era might produce more injuries, they are all just in such good shape physical specimens.... maybe there's something to be said for love handles??? Lurker, can you "weigh in" ????

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I was listening to a report this morning on Fox Sports, and they mentioned that the injury ratio for this season is actually pretty close to what it is in other seasons. The only difference is the names being injured. No one blinks if Joe Ingles tears an ACL, but since Anthony Davis is hurt for the 15th time this year, lets all make a big deal out of injuries.

So happy right now. Just when I think this team can't surprise me anymore they go ahead and do that last night. This has been an amazing run since March 1. Hopefully Trae is ok for Friday, I don't expect this team to be able to play like that without him 2 games in a row vs Milwaukee. I also expect Milwaukee to play a lot better at home with or without Giannis.

Reactions: Villian07
I was listening to a report this morning on Fox Sports, and they mentioned that the injury ratio for this season is actually pretty close to what it is in other seasons. The only difference is the names being injured. No one blinks if Joe Ingles tears an ACL, but since Anthony Davis is hurt for the 15th time this year, lets all make a big deal out of injuries.
Yeah, I'm not buying it. A pandemic didn't keep players from staying in shape and the majority of the injuries are injuries that would happen regardless (ie Trae Young twisting an ankle, Giannis hyperextended knee, etc.). It doesn't matter what kind of shape your body is in, it can't defy physics.

Reactions: JimboBBN
Yeah, I'm not buying it. A pandemic didn't keep players from staying in shape and the majority of the injuries are injuries that would happen regardless (ie Trae Young twisting an ankle, Giannis hyperextended knee, etc.). It doesn't matter what kind of shape your body is in, it can't defy physics.
I do think if they spaced out the games a little better, it could possibly prevent some types of injuries. Like a hamstring, even a knee if you tweaked it. But even for the world's greatest athletes, I have to question if playing 20 games in 40 nights is manageable. Especially if you're playing 40 plus minutes a night

I do think if they spaced out the games a little better, it could possibly prevent some types of injuries. Like a hamstring, even a knee if you tweaked it. But even for the world's greatest athletes, I have to question if playing 20 games in 40 nights is manageable. Especially if you're playing 40 plus minutes a night
The wear and tear injuries from overexertion within a compressed timeframe are certainly are a factor, but I am talking about the overall notion that injuries are at a higher rate due to less activity in 2020.

Yea they love to have a game on TV each night, they dont allow more than 1 day off even when traveling it seems.
Who needs more than a day off between basketball games? Ohhhh no, not a travel day! We have a big 2-hour flight ahead of us on a chartered jet. That will really take it out of us! 😆

Who needs more than a day off between basketball games? Ohhhh no, not a travel day! We have a big 2-hour flight ahead of us on a chartered jet. That will really take it out of us! 😆
Players who have minor injuries? Im not saying that the nba is doing it wrong or not, idc either way. I jist think that contributes to the injuries way more than the short off season. Imo

Players who have minor injuries? Im not saying that the nba is doing it wrong or not, idc either way. I jist think that contributes to the injuries way more than the short off season. Imo
I get that, but injuries happen, it's part of the game. That's no reason to play 1 game every 3 days and have one series potentially last 3 weeks.

I never said 1 every three, but i feel like u used to get 2 days off when the series moved cities.

Regardless, you are right.

I never said 1 every three, but i feel like u used to get 2 days off when the series moved cities.

Regardless, you are right.
I am pretty sure you're right. Seems like games used to be more spread out when changing venues. It has been the same way with hockey. They are playing every other day, regardless of travel. If they don't do it that way the cycle just continues though. It would be a very, very short off-season for everyone. It would make a lot more sense, logistically, to do series in a 2-3-2 format rather than 2-2-1-1-1.

no research for this but just body type of players in this era might produce more injuries, they are all just in such good shape physical specimens.... maybe there's something to be said for love handles??? Lurker, can you "weigh in" ????
tumblr_mv3xszRNvP1rewusno1_500.gif

Great news for Giannis, but I bet he's still out for rest of ECF and probably the Finals if they make it.

Hopefully Trae and Capela are back tomorrow and 100%. Can't believe the Hawks are two wins away from the finals with a legit shot to get there.

ADVERTISEMENT