ADVERTISEMENT

Which 1 seed loses first?

After @winin11 and @hawkit3113 meet up.

eb2ebf04-d4a1-4fd7-80ce-2f46e0995e30_text.gif

The most recent history (their last game) they got beat by double digits without Sasser against a very suspect Memphis team. And it's not like they just laid down because they were playing for a possible #1 overall seed.
when you start putting too much stock in something that happened in the conference tourney you're asking for trouble with your bracket.

I would chalk that game up to the shock of losing Sasser less than 24 hours earlier.

Easiest? Not sure how you figure that. Gonzaga and Uconn are like #1 and 2 on Torvik the last several weeks. Oh, and then UCLA. And a pair of 8/9s that are talented enough to beat anybody on a good day.
No they are not. Combined 25 losses and neither team can shoot

Uconn wont make it past Iona and Uconn has a midmajor PG. Zags rustled up the 71th best adjusted defense against WCC competition and UCLA hasn't been tested and their 2 nd best played / best defender is hurt.

St Marys isn't anything either. Easy bracket

I actually think Iowa can give Houston some fits. If Iowa is hitting from deep not sure Houston can score with them without sasser
I have Iowa beating Houston. I didn't want to, but I just couldn't get that matchup out of my head.

Next to go down is Alabama to Virginia.

Kansas and Purdue make the FF.

Someone show me who Arkansas has beaten this season to make you think they’re a threat to Kansas?

They just aren’t that good and haven’t been all season. They don’t shoot the ball well from the perimeter. They rely too heavily on transition and hero ball.

For my money i’m going Purdue. Memphis if they get past FAU(never underestimate a team that has 31 wins at the start of the tourney) is a nightmare matchup for Purdue.
Memphis isn't that good. Purdue will wreck them.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Everybody seems to be pencilling Arkansas into that game, but I think Illinois has a good shot to take them out. KU could lose to either Illinois or Arkansas if they don't play well.
If Kansas is losing to anyone before they meet Texas, it's Illinois.

I have Iowa beating Houston. I didn't want to, but I just couldn't get that matchup out of my head.

Next to go down is Alabama to Virginia.

Kansas and Purdue make the FF.

Iowa hasn't beaten anyone in the second round under Fran. But yeah, I'm sure they'll beat Houston. Maybe Fran will stare Houston into submission. Genius call on UVA beating Bama though.

Memphis isn't that good. Purdue will wreck them.
Ummmmm, ok....

Lost to #1 Bama, 91-88
Beat #17 TX A&M, 83-79
Played #1 Houstn very well all three games: Lost 72-64 @ Houston....67-65 @ Home, and won 75-65 in AAC Final(I know---no Sasser).

Also beat a solid VCU team....Beat Auburn...

Memphis is pretty solid my man.....Their style is what gives Purdue fits. Not saying they'll beat PU,or hell even Florida Atl....But to say they're not good is not accurate. Very long, athletic, big guards---uptempo....get after you, lots of pressure.

Iowa hasn't beaten anyone in the second round under Fran. But yeah, I'm sure they'll beat Houston. Maybe Fran will stare Houston into submission. Genius call on UVA beating Bama though.
This is why I have love for ya brother...... 😁

Reactions: jhmossy
Easiest? Not sure how you figure that. Gonzaga and Uconn are like #1 and 2 on Torvik the last several weeks. Oh, and then UCLA. And a pair of 8/9s that are talented enough to beat anybody on a good day.

Seems like torvik has to be overvaluing some of those neutral court wins for uconn. They started 14-0 and finished 11-7 or the like.

They could definitely get hot like anyone but in some of the metrics I’m not quite tracking.

Seems like torvik has to be overvaluing some of those neutral court wins for uconn. They started 14-0 and finished 11-7 or the like.

They could definitely get hot like anyone but in some of the metrics I’m not quite tracking.

All of the computers seem really iffy this year. I read that St Mary’s jumped 40 spots (Torvik, I think, but maybe Kenpom) after beating North Texas and Hofstra. At the end of the day, these systems are all very flawed. They put too much of an emphasis on margin of victory and can’t adequately account for competition strength.

They almost beat Tennessee in '19. I'm banking on Houston not having Sasser at full speed and Iowa having one of their hot shooting nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: jhmossy
Ummmmm, ok....

Lost to #1 Bama, 91-88
Beat #17 TX A&M, 83-79
Played #1 Houstn very well all three games: Lost 72-64 @ Houston....67-65 @ Home, and won 75-65 in AAC Final(I know---no Sasser).

Also beat a solid VCU team....Beat Auburn...

Memphis is pretty solid my man.....Their style is what gives Purdue fits. Not saying they'll beat PU,or hell even Florida Atl....But to say they're not good is not accurate. Very long, athletic, big guards---uptempo....get after you, lots of pressure.
Memphis has issues with guys fouling out. Something Purdue is very good at. Purdue is also a pretty good FT shooting team. Memphis is also HORRIBLE at defensive rebounding. Also something Purdue is very good at.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
Memphis has issues with guys fouling out. Something Purdue is very good at. Purdue is also a pretty good FT shooting team. Memphis is also HORRIBLE at defensive rebounding. Also something Purdue is very good at.
Memphis pressures the ball very well, and can bring the heat.....Someting Purdue has struggled with. They get 8.7 steals per game----17th in the country. Memphis is 25th in forced t/o per game, at 16.

This^^^^is why I feel they COULD beat Purdue. If it is PU/Mem, and Purdue takes care of the ball, I like their chances....A lot. But not sold you guys could.

Memphis pressures the ball very well, and can bring the heat.....Someting Purdue has struggled with. They get 8.7 steals per game----17th in the country. Memphis is 25th in forced t/o per game, at 16.
Against crap competition.
This^^^^is why I feel they COULD beat Purdue. If it is PU/Mem, and Purdue takes care of the ball, I like their chances....A lot. But not sold you guys could.
Could, yes. Likely, no. You have to understand that teams have been pressuring us all year, and I mean all year. Yes we've had issues with it at times, but not all the time. It wasn't really as big of an issue as one would think against Penn St. We only turned the ball over twice to their pressure. What made the game close was that they hit tough 3's and we missed 5 ft's that game.

What will concern me is if the refs allow a lot of physicality on the press. If that's the case then I'll be more worried. My thoughts are though that it isn't until the S16 or after that they start to allow more of that.

Against crap competition.

Could, yes. Likely, no. You have to understand that teams have been pressuring us all year, and I mean all year. Yes we've had issues with it at times, but not all the time. It wasn't really as big of an issue as one would think against Penn St. We only turned the ball over twice to their pressure. What made the game close was that they hit tough 3's and we missed 5 ft's that game.

What will concern me is if the refs allow a lot of physicality on the press. If that's the case then I'll be more worried. My thoughts are though that it isn't until the S16 or after that they start to allow more of that.
Pressure from teams that do it to turn you over, speed you up, in which its a part of their style, is differnt than someone like PSU, IU, etc....who do it here and there. In other words, seeing pressure for 30+ minutes is a hell of a lot diferent than seeing the last 2 minutes of a game...

Painter himself has show quite the disdain over this....ANd how the guards have to be better with the ball. Its been a problem in every PU loss...IU caused Loyer/Smith all sorts of trouble in both games. Kudos though to Painter for inserting Jenkins/Newman more...I think that is a great adjustment.

And its not just turnovers----its speeding you up, getting you out of sorts....causing you start your offense late in the shot clock, etc, etc... The pressure Memphis will bring is much different that PSU, Indiana, or for that matter, anyone in the B10.

Crap competition?---Alabama tunred it over 19 times vs Memphis. In three games vs Houston, they forced 37 turnovers..... Vs #17 TexasA&M, they forced 17 turnovers... 15 vs Auburn

ADVERTISEMENT