ADVERTISEMENT

What is wrong with Kentucky?

della

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2001
Team
Tennessee
Is there a reason for the slow start? Is the problem fixable or is this just going to be a bad year?

Reactions: ALLVOL58
Limited practice time for young players is most likely the answer. Experienced, older teams will have a significant advantage for a while this year.

Reactions: cdbearde
Limited practice time for young players is most likely the answer. Experienced, older teams will have a significant advantage for a while this year.
I thought this might be the issue. Practice time has to be critical when you have new faces every year.

UK did have the #1 recruiting class. And we had 1 player from last year returning. And he's not able to play yet. We have a lot of HS stars who were the it factor for their team. Usually we have some experienced players that teach the young guns what its all about. We're missing that this year. No leadership. You have a bunch of kids that are playing against men. Askew is playing way too fast and tries to penetrate without really seeing what the defense is doing. The other parts are lost for the most part. Clarke showed some really good things. He's great at pullup and 3's. Just not very good finishing around the rim. So he's starting to get it. Boston is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. He'll figure it out, he's too talented not too. And he has a tremendous work ethic.

In a nutshell the growing pains are magnified this year. We have similar problems every year, but we also have a mix of older players so it wasn't as obvious. And our schedule starting out is one of the toughest we've had in awhile. So those teams are going to feast on our kittens lol.

UK did have the #1 recruiting class. And we had 1 player from last year returning. And he's not able to play yet. We have a lot of HS stars who were the it factor for their team. Usually we have some experienced players that teach the young guns what its all about. We're missing that this year. No leadership. You have a bunch of kids that are playing against men. Askew is playing way too fast and tries to penetrate without really seeing what the defense is doing. The other parts are lost for the most part. Clarke showed some really good things. He's great at pullup and 3's. Just not very good finishing around the rim. So he's starting to get it. Boston is having trouble adjusting to the speed of the game. He'll figure it out, he's too talented not too. And he has a tremendous work ethic.

In a nutshell the growing pains are magnified this year. We have similar problems every year, but we also have a mix of older players so it wasn't as obvious. And our schedule starting out is one of the toughest we've had in awhile. So those teams are going to feast on our kittens lol.
Haven't y'all gone the post grad route to pick up some experience in the past?

Hey Della, CU guys on Tuesday.

It's amazing how quickly this game came together.
I know and love it. We are still yet to play our first game. How do the Buff's look? What do I need to worry about?

I know and love it. We are still yet to play our first game. How do the Buff's look? What do I need to worry about?

The Buffs are a talented group, McKinley Wright IV is one of the best point guards in the nation. We are still incorporating some of our new players into the system. If this team is like last year then we can look really good and then go ice cold shooting the ball.

The Buffs are a talented group, McKinley Wright IV is one of the best point guards in the nation. We are still incorporating some of our new players into the system. If this team is like last year then we can look really good and then go ice cold shooting the ball.
il_570xN.774442558_3z9x.jpg

Thanks, I just finished sewing some dolls, but it usually takes 36 hrs for the spells to take hold. These rush jobs really wear me out. 😵

Worried about lack of practice and games for FSU. Losing 2 lottery picks and a 3rd guy who was pretty much the heart and soul of the team. Going to be some early ups and downs for sure. More upsets this year early likely.

Hasn’t been said yet but our biggest issue is not having a good point guard. Cal has had an above average point guard to elite point guard every year he’s been at Kentucky with the exception of maybe 2013.
Askew is terrible and Mintz I don’t think is a true point guard. Add that to a ton of inexperience and no practice time and here you go. 1-3

Hasn’t been said yet but our biggest issue is not having a good point guard. Cal has had an above average point guard to elite point guard every year he’s been at Kentucky with the exception of maybe 2013.
Askew is terrible and Mintz I don’t think is a true point guard. Add that to a ton of inexperience and no practice time and here you go. 1-3
I think lack of practice time is the bigger key. UK always gets steadily better as the season rolls along. It takes time to jell. I believe y'all have just been set back by Covid and will take a little longer to come together.

The biggest problem is they suck. Other than that they are fine.
Everyone knows that, but is the suckage terminal? I doubt it. I imagine y'all will turn it around sooner rather than later. It is the way y'all are built. Cal is a very good coach.

I think lack of practice time is the bigger key. UK always gets steadily better as the season rolls along. It takes time to jell. I believe y'all have just been set back by Covid and will take a little longer to come together.
Have you watched Askew play? Not even a flash of being good.

Everyone knows that, but is the suckage terminal? I doubt it. I imagine y'all will turn it around sooner rather than later. It is the way y'all are built. Cal is a very good coach.
History agrees with you, but only time will tell. They are the softest bunch Cal has ever had and obviously there is no cohesion yet. Then again, nobody on this team has ever played together before and they are all new to the program, so it's unrealistic to expect them to gel after a few weeks of practice.

Have you watched Askew play? Not even a flash of being good.
I can't say I have Jimbo. The thread was not rhetorical, I truly wanted to know what the problem was. Sometimes, it just takes a little longer for the light to come on with some players. Barnes use to hammer Jordan Bone all the time until the light switched on.

You guys really miss not having Cunningham.

Richmond is actually pretty good. Tech threw zones at us and we had no idea what to do lol Tech is not good...
Richmond is really good....Kansas is Kansas. Ga Tech though? Yikes....And to at one time have trailed them my 20? Double Yikes...Even in the times we are in---losing to a bad Ga Tech by 18 is concerning.

Notre Dame is better than Ga Tech.. But that isn't sayin' much......Detroit is 200 in KenPom.

I mean Kentucky has to win these two games.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT