ADVERTISEMENT

The only famous non holiday date

TheDude1

Apr 15, 2010
Was trying to think about this... is 9/11 the only famous date that isn’t also a named holiday? Like... 4th of July is Independence Day... 9/11 is just 9/11.

Last edited:
Was trying to think about this... is 9/11 the only famous date that isn’t also a holiday? Like... 4th of July is Independence Day... 9/11 is just 9/11.
Think they've started calling today "Patriot Day"

Isn’t it officially Pearl Harbor day? I feel like I’ve heard it referred to as that

Oh, I hadn’t heard that. Not sure if I am a fan…
What would be the hold up supporting patriot day?

What would be the hold up supporting patriot day?

Patriot day feels like a day we should have fireworks and stuff. Today, for me, is a sad day, about the people who died. Doesn’t quite match up for me. Just the date works for me.

Patriot day feels like a day we should have fireworks and stuff. Today, for me, is a sad day, about the people who died. Doesn’t quite match up for me. Just the date works for me.
I think it sounds uniquely american. I believe the whole day is officially called Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance or something very similar---but you cant have that long of a name and have anyone remember it. Im pretty sure they named it patriot day b/c it unified our country thru tragedy and helped show americans how thing can be when you work together. I think it had unanimous support from both sides when W put it thru and continued with obama and now trump.

I think it sounds uniquely american. I believe the whole day is officially called Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance or something very similar---but you cant have that long of a name and have anyone remember it. Im pretty sure they named it patriot day b/c it unified our country thru tragedy and helped show americans how thing can be when you work together. I think it had unanimous support from both sides when W put it thru and continued with obama and now trump.

Yeah, just not a fan. Something like Memorial Day... that would feel more in keeping. Patriots Day feels more rah rah celebratory, to me.

I cant imagine what was in the air after something like that. Sewer gas, toxic fumes & smoke, actual gas, toxic dust........I wonder how little of that you have to breath in to have serious complications.

Asbestos. Lots and lots of asbestos. Buddy who worked recovery with the military, they were given serious respirators and told not to go down there without them. Yet thousands of recovery workers, and later the steel workers and construction guys, worked without.

Reactions: KisteK
In the immediate aftermath of the attacks, President George W. Bush, proclaimed Friday September 14, 2001, as a National Day of Prayer and Remembrance for the Victims of the Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001.[1]

A bill to make September 11 a national day of mourning was introduced in the U.S. House on October 25, 2001, by Rep. Vito Fossella (R-NY) with 22 co-sponsors, among them 11 Democrats and 11 Republicans.[2] The bill requested that the President designate September 11 of each year as Patriot Day. Joint Resolution 71 passed the House by a vote of 407–0, with 25 members not voting.[3] The bill passed the Senate unanimously on November 30. President Bush signed the resolution into law on December 18 as Pub.L. 107–89.[4] On September 4, 2002, President Bush used the authority of the resolution to proclaim September 11, 2002, as the first Patriot Day.

Original co-sponsors in the House were:[2]

From 2009 to 2016, President Barack Obama proclaimed September 11 as Patriot Day and National Day of Service and Remembrance, in observance of Pub.L. 111–13, the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act.[5][6][7][8][9]

In 2017, President Donald Trump proclaimed September 8–10 as National Days of Prayer and Remembrance,[10][11][12] and proclaimed September 11 as Patriot Day.[13][14][15][16]

I think they nailed it.

Wrote this last year. Still applies.

Llived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown. I said that people like to make stuff up. Still have no idea how the kid knew.

Then the principal started coming around and telling us. A lot of phones were down, and there weren't computers in the classrooms and people didn't have iphones or anything.

We got only a bit of news. It was really scary, because we just couldn't find out what was happening. We heard about the Pentagon, and there were rumors that the Supreme Court had been attacked... and then the fighters started screaming overhead, and I genuinely believed WWIII had started.

Parents started to come and get kids. An aide sat in the back with an ear bud in, and told us what he could figure out.

At around 10:45 I went out to get food for everyone. The streets were PACKED... like a completely full subway, with everyone walking north. Now, 106th is MILES from Ground Zero... but everyone was just running away. Saw people covered in the dust. Went into a restaurant, where there were a hundred people around a TV, and there was a shot of one of the towers still standing, and I blurted out "Wait, are the towers still up?!?" and everyone turned and one person said "No, that's from before."

Eventually school closed and I went over to 5th ave to catch a bus downtown, because the subways were down. The only traffic was buses, and HUGE convoys of tractor trailers with medical supply names on the sides, and humvees. I still didn't know everything that had happened.

When the bus got a bit further south I leaned out (it was a bus where everyone faced each other) and looked downtown, and my heart stopped. I hadnt seen the plume yet, and it basically covered the entire horizon. I think I gasped, and everyone else leaned over and looked down the length of the bus, and you could tell nobody had really SEEN it yet, because everyone was floored.

I lived below the cordoned off zone.

Met all my friends at my buddy's apartment on Thompson, which was also below the cordoned off zone. When our friend who actually worked at the towers showed up at the door we all burst into tears and hugged. My college roommates dad also worked there, but got out safely we learned later.

Everything was dusty. That night it was silent. I had a corner apartment on the NE corner of MacDougal and 3rd. I could see right down south MacDougal and see the plume. There were huge floodlights all night, lighting it up. I got high, and sat on my fire escape on the 3rd floor, and watched four kids (I assume NYU students) play frisbee in the empty West Village streets while a kid jumped up and down smoking a joint on a trampoline right in the middle of the intersection of MacDougal and 3rd. Occasionally they would call out "car!" and move for the humvees or whatever that came by. It was silent, and eerie.

The fire department on my block (now Anderson Cooper's house) lost a guy... Keith Roma. The flowers outside the place took up the ENTIRE block, five or six feet wide and three or four feet deep.

There were missing person posters EVERYWHERE. Myentire neighborhood was covered in them. This is Rays, which was a couple of blocks over...

dt32+David+Turnley+corbis.jpg

Another shot...

Fcobb00-R3-7_6.jpg

I remember two that stuck out.

One was an older man, and on the poster it said he had six grandkids.

Another was a pretty young blond woman in a white dress. On the poster it said she had just gotten married.

I knew that nobody needed to know any of that to find them... it was just their loved ones heartache.

The Daily News the next day... I remember seeing this cover...

images

... and thinking "Holy shit. If there are 10,000 of us dead... how the hell can we ever recover?"

My best friend was in the National Guard and was called in for body recovery on the 12th. He called me on the way in, and we talked. We didn't talk again for three days. He called when he had come back out, and had a breakdown. He just kept talking about what it was like to find the bodies, the parts, and having to MOVE them... he kept talking about the weight of them. I quickly got out of town (he lived in NJ) and got over to his place, and we got in the car and left, drove up to Vermont, and stayed up there for a few days so he could get his head straight.

Everything I owned was dusty for a month after, and the smell... the smell stuck around for six months. The plume, the smoke... it lasted what felt like forever.

I didn't see any footage or photos of it for... for a long, long time? I couldn't. The first thing I really saw was when I was at the New York Historical Society, and I walked past a door, and there was a movie theatre inside, and on the screen as part of a 9/11 exhibit they were just playing a single shot... a single steady shot of one of the towers burning. A close up, showing maybe the top twenty or thirty floors. I happened to look to the right as I passed, and it hit me like a truck. I just stood there, mouth open, and watched the video from the doorway for maybe ten minutes. I just couldn't move. I still don't really watch anything about it.

When the big power outage happened, everyone I know panicked; we assumed we got hit again. Every time a plane flew low, my then-girlfriend and I would pause, and wait, until it passed. The plane crash in Queens a month or so later had everyone panicked. And every time there was fireworks in the city, the streets would be full of frightened people, thinking we were under attack.

Worst day of my life, without question.

Just a thought, but how many lives were lost comparingly?American soil deaths, compared to military command deaths?

Single day. I don't feel right asking.

Wikipedia has this

1. The official British history gives an estimated figure of 156,115 men landed on D-Day. This comprised 57,500 Americans and 75,215 British and Canadians from the sea and 15,500 Americans and 7,900 British from the air. Ellis, Allen & Warhurst 2004, pp. 521–533.
  2. ^ The original estimate for Allied casualties was 10,000, of which 2,500 were killed. Research under way by the National D-Day Memorial has confirmed 4,414 deaths, of which 2,499 were American and 1,915 were from other nations. Whitmarsh 2009, p. 87.

Haha I got it in before you deleted

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Wikipedia has this

1. The official British history gives an estimated figure of 156,115 men landed on D-Day. This comprised 57,500 Americans and 75,215 British and Canadians from the sea and 15,500 Americans and 7,900 British from the air. Ellis, Allen & Warhurst 2004, pp. 521–533.
  2. ^ The original estimate for Allied casualties was 10,000, of which 2,500 were killed. Research under way by the National D-Day Memorial has confirmed 4,414 deaths, of which 2,499 were American and 1,915 were from other nations. Whitmarsh 2009, p. 87.

Haha I got it in before you deleted

Bloody Lane (Antietam) had over 23K american casualties with approx 4K killed in one day.

Reactions: bMORE607
I’ve drank a little......but I find it mildly troubling that a few frequent posters find 9/11 being called patriot day an issue. Literally......as commonly used, taking issue with the 15 plus year name of the holiday. How is that even a thing? Americans,.... thinking the term patriot.....isn’t appropriate. Blows my mind.

I’ve drank a little......but I find it mildly troubling that a few frequent posters find 9/11 being called patriot day an issue. Literally......as commonly used, taking issue with the 15 plus year name of the holiday. How is that even a thing? Americans,.... thinking the term patriot.....isn’t appropriate. Blows my mind.

It passed 407-0?

Wrote this last year. Still applies.

Llived about 20 blocks from the towers.

Was teaching that day, up at CPE1 on 106th street. Was helping in a first grade class when a first grader told me another kid was saying that there were explosions downtown.....

Worst day of my life, without question.

I've lurked for years, rarely posted, haven't done the latter in a long time.. but this was an amazing retelling of your experience. Most duke fans wouldn't be much of a loss, but you, clearly would've been. Thank you for your story. I hung on every word. We may be devoted to different schools, but we're all Americans.

I felt none of what you felt. I wasn't close to it. All I saw was the panic chaos in an area that wasn't the least bit effected (midwest). Your story was amazing. Mostly because you have a knack for telling a story. Eloquence is a lost art. Nothing about that day was beautiful. But your ability to paint a picture of that horrifying day is a bright spot.

I know (from reading) that you posted that last year. It's an amazing story, and it should be legitimately published.

Thanks again.

I've lurked for years, rarely posted, haven't done the latter in a long time.. but this was an amazing retelling of your experience. Most duke fans wouldn't be much of a loss, but you, clearly would've been. Thank you for your story. I hung on every word. We may be devoted to different schools, but we're all Americans.

I felt none of what you felt. I wasn't close to it. All I saw was the panic chaos in an area that wasn't the least bit effected (midwest). Your story was amazing. Mostly because you have a knack for telling a story. Eloquence is a lost art. Nothing about that day was beautiful. But your ability to paint a picture of that horrifying day is a bright spot.

I know (from reading) that you posted that last year. It's an amazing story, and it should be legitimately published.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve always found it... important...?... to hear first hand accounts. I remember reading one of OK City, and being stunned... it’s one thing to experience it from afar, but a whole different thing to experience it up close. And it’s important to keep it alive.

As I said... for me, it’s too rah-rah, too picked-by-a-politician, too generic. There are lots of patriots who have done lots of things through time. There are patriots in every country. I mean... if you walked through Manhattan in mid March and asked people when Patriots Day is, most of them wouldn’t know. That’s not a great sign.

September 11th. That’s it. You say that date, and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, around the world. It’s the least generic “name” ever. I don’t like it being boiled down and changed to something so huge and vague. To me, it demeans the day and the losses.

As I said... for me, it’s too rah-rah, too picked-by-a-politician, too generic. There are lots of patriots who have done lots of things through time. There are patriots in every country. I mean... if you walked through Manhattan in mid March and asked people when Patriots Day is, most of them wouldn’t know. That’s not a great sign.

September 11th. That’s it. You say that date, and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, around the world. It’s the least generic “name” ever. I don’t like it being boiled down and changed to something so huge and vague. To me, it demeans the day and the losses.
Why would it cross your mind telling us you don’t like the name of the Memorial Day of 9/11? Why would both super liberal guys on here have an issue with the name of the day And nobody else? Isn’t that odd to you?

Reactions: AZWLDCATFAN
Why would it cross your mind telling us you don’t like the name of the Memorial Day of 9/11? Why would both super liberal guys on here have an issue with the name of the day And nobody else? Isn’t that odd to you?

To be frank, what is odd to me is having someone who wasn’t there and doesn’t really know anything about being there telling me how I should think about that day and how we name it. I’m saying this as nicely and calmly as possible.

To be frank, what is odd to me is having someone who wasn’t there and doesn’t really know anything about being there telling me how I should think about that day and how we name it. I’m saying this as nicely and calmly as possible.
Why would you not say it calmly? Your experience has nothing to do with what the holiday has been named for 17 years and the term patriot has nothing to do with fireworks and celebration. You should look it up bc the term fits perfectly after the towers came down. It brought everybody together as one. It brought out the patriot in everybody. It didn’t involve political sides. It put country and its people first. Look up the term and tell me where you get fireworks and rah rah.

Also.....there isn’t a single thing that demeans the day by naming it patriot day. Not one. It’s a petty point to make when you somehow correlate fireworks with it and don’t understand what the word means.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT