ADVERTISEMENT

The only famous non holiday date

As I said... for me, it’s too rah-rah, too picked-by-a-politician, too generic. There are lots of patriots who have done lots of things through time. There are patriots in every country. I mean... if you walked through Manhattan in mid March and asked people when Patriots Day is, most of them wouldn’t know. That’s not a great sign.

September 11th. That’s it. You say that date, and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, around the world. It’s the least generic “name” ever. I don’t like it being boiled down and changed to something so huge and vague. To me, it demeans the day and the losses.

Independence Day has been around a lot longer. The level of appropriateness isn’t changed by how many people only know the holiday as “The 4th of July”.

Reactions: SNU0821
Why would you not say it calmly? Your experience has nothing to do with what the holiday has been named for 17 years and the term patriot has nothing to do with fireworks and celebration. You should look it up bc the term fits perfectly after the towers came down. It brought everybody together as one. It brought out the patriot in everybody. It didn’t involve political sides. It put country and its people first. Look up the term and tell me where you get fireworks and rah rah.

Also.....there isn’t a single thing that demeans the day by naming it patriot day. Not one. It’s a petty point to make when you somehow correlate fireworks with it and don’t understand what the word means.

The two biggest blowhards of the divide-and-conquer Democrat party hate a holiday name that symbolizes a country coming together? I, for one, am shocked.

Why would it cross your mind telling us you don’t like the name of the Memorial Day of 9/11? Why would both super liberal guys on here have an issue with the name of the day And nobody else? Isn’t that odd to you?

Check that. Dattier is super liberal but TheDude1 is moderate. Just ask him he’ll tell you.

Or he’ll probably just tell you anyways.

http://mustreadalaska.com/governor-walker-patriot-911-day/

"This year it’s Patriot Day all over America on Monday. Just not in the 49th State.

Gov. Walker has declared it “September 11 Commemoration Day,” a day where “we as Americans reflect on the importance to our nation of freedom, tolerance, patriotism, diversity, and respect for others, and are grateful for the rights and freedoms that we hold as Americans;”

This word play doesn’t happen by accident. Someone changed it from Patriot Day to Commemoration Day. Someone approved it. And the governor signed it. Did he know that he had taken patriotism out of Patriot Day? Of course he did.

The Walker Administration made a decision to remove not only the overriding concept of patriotism but to erase the emotional reaction Americans have to the horrific attack on our nation, the evil that incited it, and heroism that followed. Now it’s really just about community service.

On the day before our 425th Brigade left Alaska for Afghanistan, as it has done several times before since 9-11, Walker made no mention of the heroism and courage of our men and women in uniform.

Instead, the word “patriotism” was tucked in among politically correct verbiage that completely missed the point of the day: We were attacked. Innocents died. Our freedoms have been curtailed. Our men and women in uniform have fought, been injured, and many have died.

Instead, the Walker proclamation phoned it in with a nearly clinical nod to the most heinous attack on American soil — ever.

A CONTRAST

Even President Obama understood the meaning of Patriot Day, as evidenced by his eloquent 2015 proclamation:

On September 11, 2001, America experienced the worst terrorist attack in her history when nearly 3,000 men, women, and children were taken from us, leaving their families and our Nation with a void that can never be filled. But those who brought hate to our shores and smoke to our skies did not expect our country to emerge stronger, and our beacons of hope and freedom to shine brighter as a result. In the years since, we have stood strong as one people ‑‑ determined to further embolden our country’s character with acts of endurance and strength; rebuilding and resilience; renewal and progress. In remembrance of the innocent victims who lost their lives and in honor of the families they left behind, let us continue to answer these heinous acts by serving our communities, lifting the lives of our fellow citizens, and spreading the hope that others tried to dim that day.

The compassion that rose in the hearts and minds of the American people on September 11 still serves as the ultimate rebuke to the evil of those who attacked us. First responders who risked and gave their lives to rescue others demonstrated the unwavering heroism that defines our great Nation. Volunteers donated time, money, and blood to ensure wounds gave way to healing and recovery. Young people, raised until then in a time of peace, stepped forward to serve and defend us, and meet the threats of our time. And people from across our country and the world joined together in the days that followed to stand up and turn toward one another with open arms, making of a tragedy something the terrorists could never abide ‑‑ a tribute of hope over fear, and love over hate.

As we reflect on the lives we lost and pay tribute to the families who still live with extraordinary pain, let us resolve to continue embodying the American spirit that no act of terror can ever extinguish. I call on all Americans to observe this National Day of Service and Remembrance with acts of selflessness and charity. In doing so, we prove once again that the power of those who seek to harm and to destroy is never greater than our power to persevere and to build. I encourage everyone to visit www.Serve.gov to learn of the many opportunities available to give back to others and to reaffirm the fundamental truth that we are our brothers’ and our sisters’ keepers, and that we can forge a brighter future together.

Today, we continue our unfaltering march forward, enduring in the perennial optimism that drives us and brightening the light that the darkness of evil can never overcome. We remember and yearn for the presence of the beautiful lives lost, and we recommit to honoring their memories by shaping the days to come ‑‑ in as stark a contrast as possible to those who took them from us ‑‑ with courage, liberty, and love…"

Why would you not say it calmly? Your experience has nothing to do with what the holiday has been named for 17 years and the term patriot has nothing to do with fireworks and celebration. You should look it up bc the term fits perfectly after the towers came down. It brought everybody together as one. It brought out the patriot in everybody. It didn’t involve political sides. It put country and its people first. Look up the term and tell me where you get fireworks and rah rah.

Also.....there isn’t a single thing that demeans the day by naming it patriot day. Not one. It’s a petty point to make when you somehow correlate fireworks with it and don’t understand what the word means.

Why not say it calmly?

T, I know September 11 is just sort of a name for you, something that happened far away, and so it might not have a ton of real emotional meaning. I mean, I'm sure you think it does, but I think everyone knows that the emotional response to something that happened far away is completely different than the emotional response of something that happened to you.

It happened in my town. Literally a few blocks away. My clothes were covered in the dust of the buildings, of the people... my nostrils filled with the scent of the burning bodies and shells of the buildings for months... my friends were the ones in the buildings.

As you MIGHT get, it isn't a rational issue for me. It's a really, really emotional one. As I said in my earlier post; worst day of my life, and it isn't even close.

So yeah, having you do your little "call out"... it's a bit irritating. That's putting it mildly.

Thank you, I know what the word "patriot" means. I don't think it is particularly about the buildings coming down, or the people running in to them while they burned, or the people jumping out of the top floors of the towers, or the people trying to take back that United flight. They didn't do it because they were patriots, because they were Americans... they did it because they cared about people, because they were brave, because they wanted to do something to help. Now, you can disagree; as I said, REPEATEDLY, all I am posting is MY opinion. Let's review...

Patriot day feels like a day we should have fireworks and stuff. Today, for me, is a sad day, about the people who died. Doesn’t quite match up for me. Just the date works for me.

Yeah, just not a fan. Something like Memorial Day... that would feel more in keeping. Patriots Day feels more rah rah celebratory, to me.

As I said... for me, it’s too rah-rah, too picked-by-a-politician, too generic. There are lots of patriots who have done lots of things through time. There are patriots in every country. I mean... if you walked through Manhattan in mid March and asked people when Patriots Day is, most of them wouldn’t know. That’s not a great sign.

September 11th. That’s it. You say that date, and everyone knows exactly what you are talking about, around the world. It’s the least generic “name” ever. I don’t like it being boiled down and changed to something so huge and vague. To me, it demeans the day and the losses.

How many times did I EXPLICITLY say it was TO ME? Looks like six. Pretty clear.

Why would I mention that I don't love that name? Because the thread is LITERALLY about the day not having an official title, or so I thought. When someone posted it, I simply said I am not a fan. There are patriots around the world. There are Patriot Days around the world. There is only one 9/11. Patriot Day feels just too generic; it feels like something politicians would come up with. FOR ME, it doesn't quite capture it.

You know what? Reading your last paragraph...? Go **** yourself, you petty little moron.

Clear enough?

Some people are just assholes. :D

You don't say?

Last edited:
http://mustreadalaska.com/legislature-declares-september-11-as-patriot-day/

"UNITED MESSAGE TO GOV. WALKER: DON’T MESS WITH IT

The Alaska Legislature today unanimously passed a bill establishing September 11 of each year as Patriot Day."

"In a time when our Legislature is highly divided on fiscal issues, there could have been no stronger statement than 60-0. Sponsors signed on from both sides of the political spectrum, making it clear to the governor that any dilution of the intent of the day is unacceptable."

"WHY NOW, IN 2018, WAS THIS NEEDED?

Last year, Walker issued a Sept. 11 Commemoration Day statement that spelled out a new meaning for the day. It would be one where “we as Americans reflect on the importance to our nation of freedom, tolerance, patriotism, diversity, and respect for others, and are grateful for the rights and freedoms that we hold as Americans.”

It was a dilution of the national intent of Patriot Day, turning it into a day where pure patriotism and heroism were mixed in with reflection on diversity and tolerance, freedom, patriotism. Walker had mixed messages together to make Patriot Day mush."

Why not say it calmly?

T, I know September 11 is just sort of a name for you, something that happened far away, and so it might not have a ton of real emotional meaning. I mean, I'm sure you think it does, but...

It happened in my town. Literally a few blocks away. My clothes were covered in the dust of the buildings, of the people... my nostrils filled with the scent of the burning bodies and shells of the buildings for months... my friends were the ones in the buildings.

Original co-sponsors in the House were:[2]
*14 of the 22 original co-sponsers of the bill were representing New York constituents.*

Why not say it calmly?

T, I know September 11 is just sort of a name for you, something that happened far away, and so it might not have a ton of real emotional meaning. I mean, I'm sure you think it does, but...

As you MIGHT get, it isn't a rational issue for me. It's a really, really emotional one. As I said in my earlier post; worst day of my life, and it isn't even close.

So yeah, having you do your little "call out"... it's a bit irritating. That's putting it mildly.

Thank you, I know what the word "patriot" means. I don't think it is particularly about the buildings coming down, or the people running in to them while they burned, or the people jumping out of the top floors of the towers. They didn't do it because they were patriots, because they were Americans... they did it because they cared about people, because they were brave, because they wanted to do something to help. You can disagree; as I said, all I am posting is MY opinion. Let's review...

How many times did I EXPLICITLY say it was TO ME? Looks like six. Pretty clear.

Why would I mention that I don't love that name? Because the thread is LITERALLY about the day not having an official title, or so I thought. When someone posted it, I simply said I am not a fan. There are patriots around the world. There are Patriot Days around the world. There is only one 9/11.

You know what? Reading your last paragraph or two...? Go **** yourself, you petty little moron.

Clear enough?

You don't say?
It does have a name...and its had that name for 17 years. It has nothing to do with me that you don't seem to grasp what that word means and somehow correlated it with fireworks and rah rah.

You do talk about you quite a bit.

Could you tell me again how patriot day-9/11 is just a name to me for something that happened thousands of miles away? Tell me again how its an emotional day for you b/c you were 10 miles away but not those around the country. Nobody is discounting your experience--but you easily seem ready to discount mine.

When I hear the term patriot, you know what it reminds me of? My dad deploying 4 more times after 9/11 to protect this country you self serving little prick. Thats four ****ing years my mom had to be alone. This is after 5 previous deployments pre-patriot day. The fact you would even have the thought cross your mind about the GD name of the day shows pettiness---and somehow it falls right in line with your constant politics.

PATRIOT: a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

^we had a whole country full of patriots after that day. 9/12 carries a bunch of weight as well---b/c people like you weren't debating terms like MF'ing patriot....b/c its non-sense.

You missed my last words on the subject to you:

Go **** yourself, you petty little moron.

It does have a name...and its had that name for 17 years. It has nothing to do with me that you don't seem to grasp what that word means and somehow correlated it with fireworks and rah rah.

You do talk about you quite a bit.

Could you tell me again how patriot day-9/11 is just a name to me for something that happened thousands of miles away? Tell me again how its an emotional day for you b/c you were 10 miles away but not those around the country. Nobody is discounting your experience--but you easily seem ready to discount mine.

When I hear the term patriot, you know what it reminds me of? My dad deploying 4 more times after 9/11 to protect this country you self serving little prick. Thats four ****ing years my mom had to be alone. This is after 5 previous deployments pre-patriot day. The fact you would even have the thought cross your mind about the GD name of the day shows pettiness---and somehow it falls right in line with your constant politics.

PATRIOT: a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

^we had a whole country full of patriots after that day. 9/12 carries a bunch of weight as well---b/c people like you weren't debating terms like MF'ing patriot....b/c its non-sense.

TheDude could apologize for thinking that day had no affect on you or he could........... well........ see above.

You missed my last words on the subject to you:

Go **** yourself, you petty little moron.
Seriously.....go on. Tell us more about how you have the market cornered on 9/11 emotions. Tell us how much more it means to you then the rest of the country. One thing is for certain, I know actual patriots...proud ones...and i'm not sure you qualify.

Again, go **** yourself, you insulting little prick. You come in this thread, calling ME the **** out? Go. ****. Your. Self.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
TheDude could apologize for thinking that day had no affect on you or he could........... well........ see above.
The main difference is I'm a big boy and prefer to talk about the actual brave men and women who reacted in the moment and after the moment. No one person's contribution was more important than the next. I just happen to find it complete and total nonsense any person would somehow find offense with the term patriot and then have their lapdog second it.

Seriously, only on this ****ing forum could some drunk asshat come into a 9/11 thread and start going after someone because they don't love the official name the government gave it, over and over, questioning their understanding of what "patriot" means, despite the person CLEARLY and politely trying to explain and saying, over and over, that it is just THEIR opinion... have the person explain it to them, several times, politely, and STILL not ****ing get it, and still try to pick a fight over it. To a ****ing New Yorker, at that. Jesus ****ing christ.

I'll always be right here to call you and your incessant politics out when you say something ridiculous. (i.e.: the term patriot day demeaning 9/11).

You cocksucking little prick; it has NOTHING to do with politics. It has to do with the ****ing people who DIED. In fact, YOU are the little shit who brought politics into it, with your list of politicians.

Holy ****, you are such a piece of shit.

You cocksucking little prick; it has NOTHING to do with politics. It has to do with the ****ing people who DIED. In fact, YOU are the little shit who brought politics into it, with your list of politicians.

"melt-down melt-down"

Thats me chanting if no one picked that up.

"melt-down melt-down"

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

The thing I like most about this post is, if he doesn't get a timeout, it's free game brah, I can say whatever.

carte blanche for everyone.

I think you might want to consider taking a step back and look at how you are conducting yourself in this thread. The list of politicians showed how the tragedy brought out the patriot in everyone. It surpassed the politics you love to bring up day in and day out. It had everyone working together and for awhile--the country pulled together. It was pretty great to experience. People had flags everywhere--b/c deep down they know exactly what that stands for. Americans were supporting americans without concern race, sex, religion or political affiliation. People honored lives lost, people honored all the helpers at ground zero, people supported our president and military that took action against the terror. True life....American Patriots.

Seriously.....go on. Tell us more about how you have the market cornered on 9/11 emotions. Tell us how much more it means to you then the rest of the country. One thing is for certain, I know actual patriots...proud ones...and i'm not sure you qualify.
RollLaugh

Got him!

hqdefault.jpg

Seriously, only on this ****ing forum could some drunk asshat come into a 9/11 thread and start going after someone because they don't love the official name the government gave it, over and over, questioning their understanding of what "patriot" means, despite the person CLEARLY and politely trying to explain and saying, over and over, that it is just THEIR opinion... have the person explain it to them, several times, politely, and STILL not ****ing get it, and still try to pick a fight over it. To a ****ing New Yorker, at that. Jesus ****ing christ.

Maybe this forum isn't for you? Just saying. Despite team affiliations, we're pretty much good with each other. Then there's people that log in to this forum and complain about it.

Reactions: toonces11
You know... if you are celebrating someone being upset by September 11 and by some drunk asshole trying to call them out over it, you MIGHT be a shitty human being.
jokes on you, I'm definitely a shitty human being.

Do you realize insults on a message board are just flattery?

btw, thanks for the laugh. My face is sore from your temper tantrum.

You know... if you are celebrating someone being upset by September 11 and by some drunk asshole trying to call them out over it, you MIGHT be a shitty human being.
Im not sure anyone is going to highlight that as being "the problem" in this thread.

Nobody discounted your story. I simply informed you what the term patriot actually means b/c it was pretty clear you had associated it with other things not even attached to it. I gave you plenty of rational reason why the term is meaningful and relevant---particularly on this day and after. Then you proceeded to tell me how i felt about the day. That kind of thing doesn't work here, or anywhere else.

Hopefully I don't have to explain it to you any further than this...b/c your tantrum while hilarious, was pretty repetitive. I called you out b/c you gave terrible reasons for not liking the term patriot:
fireworks
rah rah
celebatory
too generic
there are lots of patriots
other countries have patriots
too huge
too vague
demeans the day
demeans the losses

Does this seem like a credible list to you? I'll tell you what, go ahead and tell me you didn't think it through on the patriot thing and that you just prefer 9/11. Nothing wrong with that. The only thing wrong was the terrible reasons why you gave for somehow not liking the name patriot day. Then follow that up with how you got wrapped up in the emotions of the day and ill never bring up this train wreck of a thread again.

Thanks for the kind words. I’ve always found it... important...?... to hear first hand accounts. I remember reading one of OK City, and being stunned... it’s one thing to experience it from afar, but a whole different thing to experience it up close. And it’s important to keep it alive.

I agree wholeheartedly about first hand accounts. Of tragic events, of major accomplishments, historical battles, etc.

9/11 is of particular interest to me because of my age when it happened and how it shaped the college and young professional time for many of my friends and me. Thank you for sharing yours.

Reactions: KisteK and Mac9192
I have no issue with it being called Patriots Day, but it will always be 9/11 to me. I can see why it got the name, as Toonce and others said, and I have a huge admiration for all the policemen, firemen, military, and medical personnel that worked around the clock to save those involved.
I also see where Dude has his opinion, and why. That day obviously has a different meaning to him than patriotism. Maybe I'm wrong, not trying to speak for him.
I can't imagine what it may have been like to have been close to the Towers, or to have lost a friend or family member in that tragedy.
It's probably really similar to someone who's lost a loved one serving in our military.

We need basketball to get here soon.

The two biggest blowhards of the divide-and-conquer Democrat party hate a holiday name that symbolizes a country coming together? I, for one, am shocked.
It's b/c "patriotism" has been confused w/ "nationalism." I think the people spouting off about patriotism are about as unAmerican as you can get.

Nah, it's Trump's America: demean the opposition, rally to support boorish behavior, and once the smoke clears, distance yourself from the personal behavior and claim it's about policy/philosophical approach.

As I said... for me, it’s too rah-rah, too picked-by-a-politician, too generic.
Yep. It's a pretty natural day for reflection and empathy w/o politicians trying to manipulate it. It was the catalyst for getting us into 2 costly, damaging wars on specious grounds w/ ambiguous results. That was politicking. I, for one, have had enough of politicians commandeering public sentiment for their own purposes.

ADVERTISEMENT