ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Tshiebwe...

That doesn't seem like anything I've read about this team. I've actually read the opposite. They (mostly),only go out at night to the Craft Center. I'm open to any links that suggest otherwise.

I'm sure Oscar will end up at WVU, but let's not spread false rumors.
You don't know that these rumors are false. I've read similar rumors, and I think it's safe to say kids that age and status party, in general.

You don't know that these rumors are false. I've read similar rumors, and I think it's safe to say kids that age and status party, in general.
Again, open to any links. Everything I've read suggest otherwise. But, Okay.

Again, open to any links. Everything I've read suggest otherwise. But, Okay.
We're not calling you Louisville. Your players drink like all college kids. It's not a big deal. Mizzou just got shut out of the Liddell recruitment because they hit the bong there. Could be worse.

You've never seen him promote the spectacle of UK basketball? Ever been to Big Blue Madness? Didn't he have his players introduced by being dropped from the ceiling while dancing one year? Laughing

Inviting guys like Drake and other celebs around the program. All that stuff isn't what Oscar T is into.

BBM is one night a year and Calipari didn’t invent it. It’s very hard for these guys to “party” in Lexington because everyone knows who they are. That’s why it’s not for everyone.

If you read interviews from players about being recruited by Kentucky, Calipari usually makes the pitch and backs off. It’s not a high pressure sale.

I’ve never heard him deviate from preparing players for next level and ensuring parents their kids are in a good environment. He tells them the parents and players straight up that he can’t hide them at Kentucky.

BBM is one night a year and Calipari didn’t invent it. It’s very hard for these guys to “party” in Lexington because everyone knows who they are. That’s why it’s not for everyone.

If you read interviews from players about being recruited by Kentucky, Calipari usually makes the pitch and backs off. It’s not a high pressure sale.

I’ve never heard him deviate from preparing players for next level and ensuring parents their kids are in a good environment. He tells them the parents and players straight up that he can’t hide them at Kentucky.
Illinois has nearly 50k students and lower profile kids. You can't hide basketball players anywhere.

And I'm not saying Cal sat there and tried to sell him on night life in Lexington. Just heard some of the players who hosted him were trying to get him to party. That's not what he was looking for on his visit.

Was probably looking for a good couch burning instead

Miss you Doogs!

Reactions: doogie503
Illinois has nearly 50k students and lower profile kids. You can't hide basketball players anywhere.

Exactly. Players at WVU are like a rock stars. There's no pro teams or any other major programs in the state. They are the Big Show

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
...the envy is obvious....do they even have a similar 'midnight madness' event at WVU?

I'm not envious at all. And WVU is going to get Oscar like I said all along so I have no reason to be mad. Yes we have Mountaineer Madness. But we don't drop guys from the roof like it's a Britney Spears concert.

I'm not even hating on Kentucky. It's obviously one of the top programs of all time. Just saying huggs and WVU recruited Oscar for 2 or 3 years. Calipari wasn't going to be able to swoop in the last couple months and impress him enough to go there.

That doesn't seem like anything I've read about this team. I've actually read the opposite. They (mostly),only go out at night to the Craft Center. I'm open to any links that suggest otherwise.

I'm sure Oscar will end up at WVU, but let's not spread false rumors.

I'm not saying anything crazy went on. I just heard he didn't Vibe with your players, and didnt enjoy some of the activities during his time in Lexington.

West Virginia has been recruiting in for over 2 years and building a relationship with him. Easier to make him feel comfortable and have a good time. Konate helped a lot.

For starters they just waited way too late. It's like they watched the recruiting rankings and waited until he was a 5 star to take him serious. They can afford to do this with most recruits because of their brand, but names like Calipari, Kentucky and Blue Blood don't mean anything to him.

But most importantly they tried to sell him on the spectacle that is UK hoops in Lexington. fans, night life, etc. Better off keeping it simple with Oscar. He's more into a family atmosphere and the closeness of the players and coaches. Not a partier. Just wants to hoop and keep to himself.

If we had kept it simple it would have been a lie. If kids come to uk thinking they can just stay invisible they’ll be unhappy when they get there and transfer anyways.

Edit: nvm. Didn’t see a few of the other posts. Assumed you meant he didn’t like the fishbowl environment.

I'm not saying anything crazy went on. I just heard he didn't Vibe with your players, and didnt enjoy some of the activities during his time in Lexington.

West Virginia has been recruiting in for over 2 years and building a relationship with him. Easier to make him feel comfortable and have a good time. Konate helped a lot.

I don’t doubt he doesn’t feel Kentucky. Not all players do. As @Montana81 basically said though... that’s not really recruiting pitch but just how it is at Kentucky. I really don’t think UK guys have much of a nightlife though... at least in public on campus. Real party is probably in Wildcat Lodge. Back in the 90’s though...

If you've "read similar rumors" that means there is a link. Do you have it? I call BS. But I'd love to see what you've read.

If you've "read similar rumors" that means there is a link. Do you have it? I call BS. But I'd love to see what you've read.
I'll dig it up.

I do find it funny that you UK guys are so butthurt over the claim. You really think that your basketball players don't drink?

Last edited:
I'll dig it up.

I do find it funny that you UK guys are so butthurt over the claim. You really think that your basketball players don't drink?
Where did I say any of that?
Where do I come off as butthurt? All I did was ask you for a link. It just seems odd to me that someone commented about UK players going out drinking. I've just never read anything about that and I'm intrigued.

You've not seen a party, until they win that national championship this season.. As for Oscar, so be it if he wants West Virginia, it's Kentucky i am sure we will be fine..

Nobody else was ever really in it for oscar

Uk was the only other one with any shot and they went about his recruitment all wrong.

1*pBAmdUI5wa09MvxV-gw7BQ.gif

What's going on with Vernon Carey, UK? Supposedly his mom is trashing your visit on IG.

Oscar seems very raw to me. Not good enough offensively or defensively yet, just put backs and open dunks. He’ll be a nice player for West Virginia down the road.

Eh. Tshiebwe has an amazing motor. He’ll be a great college player wherever he goes. I think he probably does fit better with Huggins style than Cal’s but he still would have been a good one at Kentucky.

The fact that I like Huggins makes it an easy pill to swallow.

We just really need bigs in this class. Looks like the Stewart ship has sailed as well. Could be mis direction but I’d bet on MSU personally in that one. So now we’re down to Carey wiseman and hurt. Maybe Agheion.

I'll dig it up.

The claim wasn’t that Kentucky players drink. The claim was that Kentucky pitched a party lifestyle to Tshiebwe, which doesn’t match anything anyone has ever heard about a UK recruiting pitch.

I know UK players drink. Hell, I had them in my apartment in college. But let me put it this way.. they are very very aware that they have to be careful about anything they do in public.

Now, back in the 90’s, some of our guys were even in frats. Had a couple get DUI’s even.

They aren’t typical students or typical 18 year olds. But yes, they are 18 year olds.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
My bad, thought they were talking about in general.
Very naive if someone doesn’t think a college kid would drink, athlete or not.
Nobody is saying they don't party it up and have drinks.
We all know about the Derek Willis thing, but the topic at hand is apparent drinking during Oscar's visit. I've never seen an article on it. If there was one, I'm thinking we would certainly have heard about it.
But you really should pay attention, you get busted more than anyone I've ever seen on a message board.

Reactions: JC for 3
The claim wasn’t that Kentucky players drink. The claim was that Kentucky pitched a party lifestyle to Tshiebwe, which doesn’t match anything anyone has ever heard about a UK recruiting pitch.

I know UK players drink. Hell, I had them in my apartment in college. But let me put it this way.. they are very very aware that they have to be careful about anything they do in public.

Now, back in the 90’s, some of our guys were even in frats. Had a couple get DUI’s even.

They aren’t typical students or typical 18 year olds. But yes, they are 18 year olds.
That's not what I remember being pitched. What I saw was that he was put it by players trying to get him to go party when he wasn't interested. I think some of you got a little worked up by a lot of nothing.

That's not what I remember being pitched. What I saw was that he was put it by players trying to get him to go party when he wasn't interested. I think some of you got a little worked up by a lot of nothing.

Right... and again, I’m calling bullshit on that. That’d indicate what... that WVU players wouldn’t go to a party?

Not worked up. I just enjoy calling out bullshit.

I hear that's the problem with coke.
D'you find that link yet or are you ready to just admit that you made it up to fit your narrative?
See below just in case you need a friendly reminder.

I'll dig it up.

ADVERTISEMENT