ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

giphy.gif

Will be interesting to see how Michigan chooses to defend Iowa again. I'll be surprised if they don't sag on Garza again and just let him get his.

Interesting take from NBA execs.

NBA Execs Say These College Coaches Are Perfect for the Pros

https://watchstadium.com/nba-execs-say-these-college-coaches-are-perfect-for-the-pros-01-15-2020/

1) Jay Wright, Villanova – 64 points (6 first-place votes)
“I’m not sure he leaves for anything except for the Sixers job, but obviously he’s proven he can really coach and develop young guys. Look at what he has done over the years with guys like Josh Hart, Ryan Arcidiacono, Jalen Brunson. He gets guys ready and that’s important.”

2) Tony Bennett, Virginia – 63 points (6)
“I know the big question is whether he can do it offensively, but he’s a bright guy. He’d figure it out, like he did when he won a national title with guys who could score. But he’s got no ego, played in the league and is obviously a terrific coach.”

3) Bill Self, Kansas – 48 points (6)
“I know there’s plenty of speculation that he’ll get the Spurs job when Pop (Gregg Popovich) retires, but I’m not sure about that. He’s not only an elite coach, but also one of those guys that would be able to connect with players. He’s got an ego, but you’d never know it.”

4) Matt Painter, Purdue – 41 points (2)
“I think his stuff will translate offensively and he’s a great communicator. Players would love playing for him.”

5) Kelvin Sampson, Houston – 28 points
“He’s a really good coach and he knows the league. Remember, he was with the Spurs, Bucks and Rockets. That would give him some credibility.”

6) Chris Holtmann, Ohio State – 17 points (2)
“I think he has some Brad Stevens in him, which makes sense since he and Brad both coached at Butler. Low-key and knows it’s not about him. Really underrated as an X’s and O’s guy.”

7) Chris Mack, Louisville – 16 points (2)
“He’s not an egomaniac and has a presence about him. We know he can make adjustments, and I think he’d be able to deal with the players in our league.”

8) Mark Few, Gonzaga – 12 points
“The guy always figures it out. I’m not sure he’d have any desire to do it, but he’s got the right demeanor with the players and can really coach.”

9) Juwan Howard, Michigan – 11 points (1)
“He played in the NBA for a long, long time so there’s immediate credibility. He’s been much better in college than I thought, but he’s a guy who has a terrific reputation in the league and now he has the head coaching experience that held him back from getting a head job in the NBA.”

10) Dana Altman, Oregon – 10 points
“He’s one of the best tacticians in college, and he’s so even-keeled that he can deal with just about anything. The question would be whether he could connect with NBA stars, but he’s been at this long enough to be able to figure it out.”

11) Tom Izzo, Michigan State – 9 points
“He’s smart and not analytic averse. He’s had opportunities, and would probably have to make the move soon because of his age. He’d have to adjust, and can’t coach the same way, but he’s smart enough to know that and figure it out.”

T12) Mike Krzyzewski, Duke – 8 points
“It depends on the team. If I was the Knicks, I wouldn’t hire him. But if I had a chance to win now, like the Lakers or someone like that, I’d do it. If he wins it all and retires the next day, so be it. I’m obviously not hiring him for the next 10 years at his age, but he’s coached the best in our game in the Olympics, so there’s a level of immediate respect that you don’t get with every other college coach.”

T12) Chris Beard, Texas Tech – 8 points
“He’s a different type of guy, but, man, can he coach his ass off. I’d have confidence that he’d be able to figure it out because his players seem to love playing for him.”

T12) Anthony Grant, Dayton – 8 points
“He worked for Billy Donovan in the NBA, so he knows the league and he just has a presence about him. I love what he does with his offense at Dayton. He’d be high on my list.”

15) Mike Hopkins, Washington – 7 points
“Just love his approach. I know he hasn’t proven it yet in college, and he’d be a risk for sure, but he’s young, energetic and players would love playing for him.”

T16) Mike Brey, Notre Dame – 6 points
“He’s lost some of his luster lately, but I still think he’d be good in the NBA. He gives guys freedom and would have no trouble building relationships with players. He’s a players’ coach.”

T16) John Calipari, Kentucky – 6 points
“People forget he made the playoffs in his second year in New Jersey. It would have to be the right team and franchise for him to leave Lexington, but I think he’d be much better this time around.”

T18) Rick Pitino, Panathinaikos – 4 points
“I know it didn’t work in Boston, but that was a long time ago, and he’s been humbled. The bottom line is the guy can coach, and part of the reason it didn’t work in Boston was his ego, and (the other) part was that he was also given control of personnel. But he’s probably the best coach in the world that isn’t coaching in the NBA.”

T18) Fred Hoiberg, Nebraska – 4 points
“He’s smart and just wasn’t given the right pieces in Chicago. I also think he’d learn from his first chance and be even better, but he’s a terrific offensive coach who is easy to play for.”

20) Lorenzo Romar, Pepperdine – 3 points
“He’s got the right mentality to deal with NBA guys, and he is a former player. The ultimate players’ coach, and I think it would work.”

I assume since it is Watch Stadium, that Jeff Goodman wrote that? What a ****ing stupid piece to write in the middle of the season. Keep the clickbait trash to the offseason

I saw the Fab 5 their freshman year at Carbet. C Web fouled out and J Rose hit the game winner.

Tonight, we are just going to add blast them.

Watch.

Reactions: MileHighSpartan
I’ve never heard of the “send 3 out to guard a 3 point shooter” defense
if Garza is the focal point of the defense there might be as teams try to triple team when he gets the ball.

tonight things will be interesting if Howard puts all his eggs into one basket by trying to stop Garza.

with Wieskamp 100% and Fredrick 100% it will be interesting to see what happens tonight,

Kriener is shooting 40+% from 3, to many good 3 point shooters to try to stop just one player.

Fvck Gilligan and x's and o's. I actually played.

It don't matter if they triple team Garza, it's about CJ Fredrick.

He opens up our whole offense.

Defense, we need to be better. But we never have been, so let's just out score them.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks12
Fvck Gilligan and x's and o's. I actually played.

It don't matter if they triple team Garza, it's about CJ Fredrick.

He opens up our whole offense.

Defense, we need to be better. But we never have been, so let's just out score them.
Will be interesting to see if they play a matchup zone and start sagging on Luka. Lots of wide open looks if that’s the case.

Reactions: hawkit3113
Wisconsin is a good rebounding team because they miss so many shots.

And they call us white.

Is that really true? Somehow I’ve missed that stat. 8 in a row surprised me too.

I feared the Bo Ryan teams more than any other conference foe.

Yea unfortunately. Should have won in 2011 but Rob Wilson was a dumbass.

Jist don’t have the athletes this year. Our 6’ guards aren’t much of a matchup with all the forwards you trot out. And we haven’t been able to shoot there in forever.

ADVERTISEMENT