ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Not bad being number 1 in a rebuilding year lol.
giphy.gif

I was bullish on this team (had us on like the 5 seed line), would've never guessed something like this would happen.

Some losses are coming, but man what a start.
Freshman guards are THE reason. Biggest question mark for Purdue coming into the year. Can those guys sustain that? Purdue is really good, not doubting that. But your success so far has been due to their production. Can you rely on them for 18 more B10 games----BTT and then NCAAT?

Personally, I wouldn't bet against it-----but I also wouldn't bet for it.

Reactions: Sparty_57
Freshman guards are THE reason. Biggest question mark for Purdue coming into the year. Can those guys sustain that? Purdue is really good, not doubting that. But your success so far has been due to their production. Can you rely on them for 18 more B10 games----BTT and then NCAAT?

They'll hit a wall at some point. They all do. Just depends on how quickly they get thru it.

As @jwardelt said, they’ll hit a wall at some point I’m sure as most freshmen go through at some point. But what’s nice about Smith & Loyer is that they’re productive at more than one facet of the game.

Both have shown the ability to score at all 3 levels, handle the ball, good passers, Smith especially a good rebounder for the position, good from the foul line, etc. So even when their shots scuffle at some point, can still be productive. Not one trick ponies that have to develop the rest of their game like a lot of freshmen are when they come in.

Think people also underestimated the depth purdue has. Newman/Furst/Kaufman really nice bench pieces that would be starting for a lot of teams out there.

Both freshmen have been good but they haven’t even been shooting it that well yet. Loyer and Smith are much better shooters than the stats suggest. They’re only going to get more comfortable. I look forward to their improvement.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
As @jwardelt said, they’ll hit a wall at some point I’m sure as most freshmen go through at some point. But what’s nice about Smith & Loyer is that they’re productive at more than one facet of the game.

Both have shown the ability to score at all 3 levels, handle the ball, good passers, Smith especially a good rebounder for the position, good from the foul line, etc. So even when their shots scuffle at some point, can still be productive. Not one trick ponies that have to develop the rest of their game like a lot of freshmen are when they come in.

Think people also underestimated the depth purdue has. Newman/Furst/Kaufman really nice bench pieces that would be starting for a lot of teams out there.
I don't underestimate Newman/Furst or TK----BUT, all but one is a guard. I think Purdue's ceiling is based on Loyer/Smith-----and thats a lot to ask for ONE freshman----much less two.

They're certainly going to "hit that wall---All freshman do. But they're also going to get better and better.

I have learned to never bet against Painter. He has damn near perfected his system, and his teams more often than not, are gonna compete, be solid, etc....I'm surprised they are this good, though. But then again, large part of that is due to Smith/Loyer .

Both freshmen have been good but they haven’t even been shooting it that well yet. Loyer and Smith are much better shooters than the stats suggest. They’re only going to get more comfortable. I look forward to their improvement.
As would I....Bth are gonna be very, very good 4 year dudes.

Now hopefully IU can get JHS healthy.....Sucks arse.

It’s crazy how solid they’ve been. Obviously some ups and downs but I don’t think even the most homer Purdue fans could’ve expected them to be our 2nd and 3rd leading scorers so far.

Thanks for letting Essegian escape Indiana. He’s been a breath of fresh air this year. Off to a great start for us.

Reactions: otte21
Just watched the 2nd half of Illanoy and Ped St on the Bball in 60. All that athleticism and talent and they let Ben Affleck beat them. That’s rich.

Thanks for letting Essegian escape Indiana. He’s been a breath of fresh air this year. Off to a great start for us.
If I remember right the reporting was he was exactly the type of player Painter would offer most years but just didn’t have the scholarship for him with Loyer already committed. But a lot people loved his game.

If I remember right the reporting was he was exactly the type of player Painter would offer most years but just didn’t have the scholarship for him with Loyer already committed. But a lot people loved his game.
Yea he’s not just a shooter. Seems to know what he’s doing out there. I’d take 2 more like him. Instead of playing ****ing former walk-ons.

And Purdue hires Ryan Walters.

I never expected Purdue to get some of the guys that were rumored (Deboer, Monken, Klieman, Clawson), and I don't know a ton about Walters, but my initial reaction is that this is not a great choice. Would rather have an offensive guy with head coaching experience at a lower level.

I never expected Purdue to get some of the guys that were rumored (Deboer, Monken, Klieman, Clawson), and I don't know a ton about Walters, but my initial reaction is that this is not a great choice. Would rather have an offensive guy with head coaching experience at a lower level.
He’s a great defensive coach. Destined to be a head coach. Hire a good OC and he should be fine.

He’s a great defensive coach. Destined to be a head coach. Hire a good OC and he should be fine.
Good to hear.

Just don't love relying on a guy that'll need a solid staff, as I don't think Purdue is great at attracting or retaining that stuff.

Good to hear.

Just don't love relying on a guy that'll need a solid staff, as I don't think Purdue is great at attracting or retaining that stuff.
Rumors that he might bring a couple of guys from our staff from the D side.

Sometimes those are the best hires.

Sometimes those are the best hires.
Yep. People complained when Purdue hired Joe Tiller and he turned out okay. People were ecstatic when Purdue hired Fred Akers and he was dogshit.

As always, I'll give the guy the benefit of the doubt until I have a reason not to.

Reactions: TheCainer
the lower level head coaches? that's what I was advocating for. not splashy, but they know how to win with less and are normally hungry.
Every subset of background is littered with successes and failures. For every Jeff Brohm, you have a Darrel Hazzel. He was supposed to be able to win with less and be hungry too.

I was bullish on this team (had us on like the 5 seed line), would've never guessed something like this would happen.

Some losses are coming, but man what a start.
Same, I was telling my (coincidentally IU grad 😉) subordinate how I thought I was being bullish by thinking we'd be around 5th in conference and make the tournament, and if you told me then that we'd be ranked #1 at some point during the season I never would have believed it.

Makes sense.

Really needs to go get a guy that's known for passing game and QB development now imo. Not sure that's easy to do.
Start looking at our D recruits and see which ones you’d like. Apparently a couple might follow him.

Every subset of background is littered with successes and failures. For every Jeff Brohm, you have a Darrel Hazzel. He was supposed to be able to win with less and be hungry too.
Absolutely.

I just think Purdue is a hard place to win at, and it's not ideal to be learning to be a head coach on the job here. Need that experience already imo.

I've said my part and now I'm gonna turn to being a fan of the guy though.

I don't underestimate Newman/Furst or TK----BUT, all but one is a guard. I think Purdue's ceiling is based on Loyer/Smith-----and thats a lot to ask for ONE freshman----much less two.

They're certainly going to "hit that wall---All freshman do. But they're also going to get better and better.

I have learned to never bet against Painter. He has damn near perfected his system, and his teams more often than not, are gonna compete, be solid, etc....I'm surprised they are this good, though. But then again, large part of that is due to Smith/Loyer .
Disagree, think we need more from Morton (scoring-wise) as well as Newman and Jenkins Jr. If those 3 can't step up and produce consistently, then yeah Purdue could be in some trouble relying on 2 freshmen. That said, Loyer is fearless and can score in every facet offensively.

Disagree, think we need more from Morton (scoring-wise) as well as Newman and Jenkins Jr. If those 3 can't step up and produce consistently, then yeah Purdue could be in some trouble relying on 2 freshmen. That said, Loyer is fearless and can score in every facet offensively.
We definitely need those 3 to up their 3 pt percentage.

Right now the 3 pt shooting is the big question. We're winning despite not shooting it that great. Is that our achilles heel or is that an area where we can continue to improve and really be dangerous?

The more I think about it, the more I like the hire. I think some Purdue fans took Bobinski’s words at the press congegwnce to mean we would hire some stud P5 coach which probably was never realistic. If he can surround himself with good OC/DC/etc, a 36 year old who can recruit can’t be a bad thing. He’s moved up the ranks quickly for a guy so young.

the lower level head coaches? that's what I was advocating for. not splashy, but they know how to win with less and are normally hungry.
Yeah I mean you see it a lot especially in basketball. Some of those guys who aren't seen splashy enough for a bigger HC position but then they go to a lower level school and succeed and then get scooped by a big team.

ADVERTISEMENT