ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

You ever seen a 6'10 center play point guard before? Because thats essentially what Ethan Happ is doing tonight.

lie much
preseason prediction 4-5 4th at best.
the home record prediction was what they [HAD] to do [NOT] what they were going to do.
BIG F'n difference.
the 6th was based on ending in 4th or 5th. tell you what go find my post where I posted what you claim that I posted.

before the season began the lineups with backup was supposed to look like with EVERYBODY HEALTHY.
1 SO Bohannon backup JR Williams
2 RSSO Moss RSJR Ellingson
3 RSJR Baer [although I was thinking that SR Uhl would get the job]
4 SO Cook backup SO Pemsl
5 SO Kreiner backup FR Garza
with these left
JR Wagner
SO Dailey
FR Nunge
FR Connor who was planning to RS to concentrate on Baseball

backup JR Williams quit the team 1 week before the 1st OOC game so the 1st key backup was gone.
this led to Backup Ellingson who had never played the point as Bohannon's backup. this meant that the RS for Connor was going to be needed to be pulled.

the PROBLEM is Connor would miss the 1st 10 games of the season and played in just 4 games.
he may not play again this season as the last time he was in the hospital he lost 15 lbs. Connor was also the highest rated recruit in the 17 class.

Ellingson as the backup PG DIDN'T work out and Dailey was thrust into that position after Connor started having Health issues. the Dailey experiment looks to be working better than most expected or hoped.
Baer missed the 1st 6 games because of a broken finger, this caused him to come in out of shape.

FR Nunge was forced to play the 3 and for a time was avg'ing 2 spg and 9 ppg, and is the 5th leading scorer coming off the bench.
FR Garza took the starting spot at the 5 after Kriener took a blow to the head and damn near had his face ripped off in the PSU game.
FR Garza is the 4th leading scorer at 10.5 ppg, 2nd leading rebounder @6.5 rpg and leading shot blocker @1.3 bpg. if he keeps that up he should make the 1st All BT FR Team
Wagner was injured earlier and has not recovered and he started the last 19 games last season,

this has caused this team to go down hill with all the injuries that has shook up the starting 5, just 3 games ago this starting 5 just came together.
1 Bohannon backup Dailey
2 Moss backup Ellingson
3 Baer backup Dailey
4 Cook backup Pemsl
5 Garza backup Nunge
these play when needed as reserves off the bench
Wagner
Kriener
Uhl
in very limited minutes.

Baer came in out of shape because of a broken finger? So he can’t run/do conditioning because of a broken finger? Lol

This game is laughable. We look like were trying to give it away. Stayed in zone 5 minutes too long. Can't capitalize on any of the 10 loose balls we've been involved in. I'm optimistic about the second half because the law of averages.

Fran has this protective gear ready for tomorrow against the Purdue thugs...
giphy.gif

It’s G-Day tomorrow...Purdue @ Iowa. Gil, let’s put $$$ on this game. I will give you 5:1 odds. Put up $20 and I will put up $100 for charity of the winner’s choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: guppy likes purdue
Props to the FS1 halftime team for highlighting how awesome it is that Happ is running point and analyzing that as the difference this game.

For sure thought theyd just go on about Pritzl scoring 13 points or something considering that Jacobson guy is usually a dummy.

This game is laughable. We look like were trying to give it away. Stayed in zone 5 minutes too long. Can't capitalize on any of the 10 loose balls we've been involved in. I'm optimistic about the second half because the law of averages.
Gotta stop giving them free drives to hoop. Make them beat you from deep. They can't shoot all that well. Ball is getting in lane way too easily.

Gotta stop giving them free drives to hoop. Make them beat you from deep. They can't shoot all that well. Ball is getting in lane way too easily.
We have no one to match up with Happ. The rest of the team is just standing in the right spot.

Reactions: ThreeTwaunMoore
Heres a discussion piece for the thread:

How would you rank the B1Gs best players? Im talking purely from a "good at college basketball" standpoint, not who has more NBA potential.

I think mine would be

1. Ethan Happ
2. Keita Bates Diop
3. Jaren Jackson JR
4. Miles Bridges
5. Anthony Cowan
6-9 Carsen Edwards/Vince Edwarda/Juwan Morgan/Mo VVagner
10. Dakota Mathias

Heres a discussion piece for the thread:

How would you rank the B1Gs best players? Im talking purely from a "good at college basketball" standpoint, not who has more NBA potential.

I think mine would be

1. Ethan Happ
2. Keita Bates Diop
3. Jaren Jackson JR
4. Miles Bridges
5. Anthony Cowan
6-9 Carsen Edwards/Vince Edwarda/Juwan Morgan/Mo VVagner
10. Dakota Mathias
Uhhh...no on Happ being #1

Reactions: guppy likes purdue
That #4 Slovenian on Illinois looked athletic af on that drive to the rim. If that guy can shoot at 6'10, Illinois might have a player on their hands.

Baer came in out of shape because of a broken finger? So he can’t run/do conditioning because of a broken finger? Lol
most ride stationary bikes and have you ever try to do that one handed, or try to lift weight one handed, not to mention running with you bad hand immobilized,

not as easy as you think, then is the constant fear of falling down and doing more damage, the DR's control what he can and can't do.

there is so much conditioning a one handed player can do.

if you can or do better than the Doctors, have at it.

That #4 Slovenian on Illinois looked athletic af on that drive to the rim. If that guy can shoot at 6'10, Illinois might have a player on their hands.
He can. Watching him in practice, I was really excited about his skillset. He needs the weight room.

He can. Watching him in practice, I was really excited about his skillset. He needs the weight room.

In a year Illinois is now 0-8 in conference and has 0% chance to reach the tournament, he should be getting more and more minutes now. Just like Clifton Moore at Indiana, this is the exact type of player you want to develop and let learn thru his mistakes.

In a year Illinois is now 0-8 in conference and has 0% chance to reach the tournament, he should be getting more and more minutes now. Just like Clifton Moore at Indiana, this is the exact type of player you want to develop and let learn thru his mistakes.
Not sure if he will be around after this year. Rumors he might go back home, but I somewhat agree. We will not graduate anyone but Alstork. The entire team needs practice. They still are missing reads.

Two Big Ten games tonight and both were blow outs. Surprising that Illinois got blown out as they have lost so many close games.
Fairly certain the margin in the Wisconsin game matched our Big 10 margin.

most ride stationary bikes and have you ever try to do that one handed, or try to lift weight one handed, not to mention running with you bad hand immobilized,

not as easy as you think, then is the constant fear of falling down and doing more damage, the DR's control what he can and can't do.

One-handed? You mean a hand with 4 good fingers and one bad one? And yeah I’ve injured a finger before and could still do cardio. Stop making lame excuses. It’s not like he messed up his foot or leg. Easy to do stationary bike with one messed up finger.

Reactions: WheelerG and KisteK
I thought you’d give us a little game at least. I’ll take a laugher though.

Iowa. You’re next.

Wtf Gil? You arent going to take me up on a 5:1 bet for charity? Let’s go.

BIG could conceivably get six teams in with that Nebraska win

They need ten wins and a tourney win

And Maryland needs nine and a tourney imo

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Two Big Ten games tonight and both were blow outs. Surprising that Illinois got blown out as they have lost so many close games.

That’s what quitting looks like. All those close losses finally took their toll it would appear. Brad Underwood has his work cut out for him...big time

Reactions: Terps1ACC2

Gil, it's a broken FINGER. He can keep his legs in shape. I am just , just taken aback with your excuses and rational regarding Iowa bball. Your take on a broken finger is astounding and takes your posts to a new level. Larry Bird played the entire NCAA tournament with a broken finger, fyi., so I'm thinking that Baer could have run, rode the bike, and stayed in shape. Not a hand, or leg, a finger!

One-handed? You mean a hand with 4 good fingers and one bad one? And yeah I’ve injured a finger before and could still do cardio. Stop making lame excuses. It’s not like he messed up his foot or leg. Easy to do stationary bike with one messed up finger.
I know a guy that places in crossfit meets with one arm, was a good basketball player in high school too.

ADVERTISEMENT