ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

Fellow Big Ten fans,

Just watched Michigan play at Iowa. You all are going to love playing there too! When you see your team's season highlight reel, be prepared to see a lot of clips from your game at Carver (even you Rutgers, if you are visiting).

Dakich was right give me this starting lineup vs Minnesota

Jager
Taylor
McBob
Hartman
Morgan

First off the bench Durham, Smith and Moore.

Play for the future because obviously the sophomores through seniors don’t give a shit

Yeah agree - It doesnt make sense to keep playing newkirk and johnson. They arent good enough to make Indiana a tournament team, often are the exact reason IU loses, and both have no eligibility after this season so literally offer IU nothing for the future either.

Yeah agree - It doesnt make sense to keep playing newkirk and johnson. They arent good enough to make Indiana a tournament team, often are the exact reason IU loses, and both have no eligibility after this season so literally offer IU nothing for the future either.

I'm all for it...time to drop the hammer Archie :mad:

Happ with another monster night. While he should be in the NBA next year, I also realized he could be a potential grad transfer if he has a peculiar desire to remain in college.

Returning to Wisconsin next year would be a waste. Why stick around for an at best round of 32 exit when you would be the best available player come April?

Best off in the NBA, but the transfer route certainly beats wasting a year of life in Madison.

Dakich was right give me this starting lineup vs Minnesota

Jager
Taylor
McBob
Hartman
Morgan

First off the bench Durham, Smith and Moore.

Play for the future because obviously the sophomores through seniors don’t give a shit

Why do you think we’ve got 3 walk ons playing? The jr trio of Van Vliet, Illikainen, and Thomas are terrible. Gard seems to have moved on from most of them.

At least the Crean team full of walkons acted like they cared. This team just doesn’t give a shit. Get rid of everyone but Morgan and even that is a stretch
Dude it amazes me how poorly Johnson plays. Just lazy. Goes through the motions. No desire. Davis as well. Dude BOTH should All-Big 10 caliber players. But both are just to god damn lazy. Especially Davis. Dude should be a monster. Yet he's soft and lazy. If I'm Miller, I sit both at Minny. Start Hartman, McRoberts, Morgan,Durham and Smith.

Reactions: SNU0821
Your team is funny. Different coach same result.
AS already stated----sans Smith and Durham, same players. If anyone expected Miller to fix 9 years of terribleness, in 6 moths,, they were fooling themselves. Pretty tough to break 1, 2, 3 or 4 years of bad habits in such a small time frame. The future will be just fine.

I'm all for it...time to drop the hammer Archie :mad:

Yeah even if you could guarantee theyll improve and IU will be competitive but ultimately finish 7-11 in the B1G and miss the NIT, would it even be worth it to keep playing them?

Might as well move on. Develop younger players with actual ceilings. Not seniors who struggle to be consistent.

Ethan Happ stayed cooking tonight

28 points(11/17 from the field) 9 boards 4 assists 4 steals 2 blocks

Thats an All American line
He was really goooooood tonight. I mean we sure had no answer(for him). Which is sad, b/c Davis could be a special defensive player. Yet he chooses to be lazy. Oh, well. No shame in losing to the "Fighting Haaps".;)

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Yeah even if you could guarantee theyll improve and IU will be competitive but ultimately finish 7-11 in the B1G and miss the NIT, would it even be worth it to keep playing them?

Might as well move on. Develop younger players with actual ceilings. Not seniors who struggle to be consistent.
Agree. TIme to move on. He's given them the opportunity. Obviously they don't care. ANd I mean that literally. Johnson plays with absolute zero desire.

My line-up vs Minny:

Durham, Green, McRoberts, Hartman and Morgan. Work in Smith and Moore. Give McSwain minutes as well. That dude plays hard. If me, Johnson, Davis nor Newkirk would see the floor at Minny.

Timeto send a message Archie.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Thought IU +7 was a lock against that Wisconsin team. On vacation with my family and my dad says tonight is the first time since he got out of surgery a month ago that he's gotten some solid sleep. All we've been doing is watching the Big Ten games.

Watched Iowa UM game. UM has tone my favorite for third place. That’s a good basketball team. Iowa has some pieces but they just aren’t really clicking on all levels. They both will be good teams in the future.

Time for Archie to drop the hammer. Bench Newkirk, Johnson and Davis. I wouldn't play them unless the other 10 fouled out----Maybe.

Starters:

Durham, McRoberts, Hartman, Morgan and McSwain. Maybe Green. Smith and Moore off the bench. And one of McSwain/Green(whoever doesn't start.

Then the walk-on's.

Then the cheerleaders.

Then, JOhnson, Newkirk and Davis.....Maybe.

Archie has pushed every button. Benched guys. Called them out. Yet nothing. SOoooooo, get drastic, Miller. DO NOT PLAY THEM. AT ALL.

Reactions: SNU0821
I just got back from the Maryland game. It was an ugly win but I will take it. Glad we have Bruno on our team to replace both Jackson and Bender. Also happy to see we had much less turnovers than normal. Happy New Year everyone but bMORE607 - is he still cursing at people?

Maryland not looking bueno in the first half.
I'll see you and raise you one Wisconsin Basketball team
Happ with another monster night. While he should be in the NBA next year, I also realized he could be a potential grad transfer if he has a peculiar desire to remain in college.

Returning to Wisconsin next year would be a waste. Why stick around for an at best round of 32 exit when you would be the best available player come April?

Best off in the NBA, but the transfer route certainly beats wasting a year of life in Madison.
giphy.gif

Thought Nebraska played pretty well in an ugly game, but we turned it on late. When Roby plays the 5 we are lethal. I will take a 15 point win over NW any day though. Purdue saturday!

Nebraska = Basketball school

Last edited:
Reactions: KisteK and Mgkcbb
Maryland plays 3 times in 6 days this week.

Played at home last night, has to go to MSU Thursday, comes back home again Sunday.

Thats pretty brutal for any team, much less one that just lost 2 rotation players to injury.

Maryland plays 3 times in 6 days this week.

Played at home last night, has to go to MSU Thursday, comes back home again Sunday.

Thats pretty brutal for any team, much less one that just lost 2 rotation players to injury.

I think Iowa does too. I’m guessing everyone does at some point. Iowa is staring 0-5 right in the face.

Reactions: KisteK
I think Iowa does too. I’m guessing everyone does at some point. Iowa is staring 0-5 right in the face.
Purdue starts a 3-in-7 stretch today. Not quite as bad as three in six days, but on the road at Michigan will be a tough cap to the week.

Jan. 3 - Rutgers
Jan. 5 - Nebraska
Jan. 9 - @ Michigan

Reactions: jwardelt
Current KenPom rankings as of 1/3/17:

2 - MSU
3 - Purdue

32 - Maryland
33 - Michigan

42 - PSU
43 - Minn
46 - OSU

64 - NW
69 - Wisc

82 - Iowa
84 - Nebrasketball
88 - Illinois
95 - Indiana

121 - Rutgers
Do me favor and don't beat my Terps too badly on Thursday. I suffered through our football team losing a QB to transfer to Ohio State, two QBs tore ACLs and now the basketball team is getting all banged up.

Do me favor and don't beat my Terps too badly on Thursday. I suffered through our football team losing a QB to transfer to Ohio State, two QBs tore ACLs and now the basketball team is getting all banged up.

Who transferred? Also theres a decent chance MSU goes in dry. I just want to see if we match up Bruno on Ward and if so how well he holds up.

IU has several players playing disinterested basketball. It will be an interesting offseason.

Certainly seems that way. There will be some attrition that is for sure. Davis, Green and maybe Moore gone.

Morgan, McBob (on scholarship), Durham, Smith, Moore?, Thompson, Phinisee, Anderson, Hunter, Forrester, Romeo (still possible, not likely), grad transfer PG and C.

I would be much happier with that then the shit that is playing now.

Reactions: jimmygoiu
Tonight's games:

Rutgers at Purdue - 7PM
Illinois at Minnesota - 9PM

Hopefully the first game is a snoozefest. No idea what to make of the 2nd. Neither team has been consistent this year.

ADVERTISEMENT