ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Baker (Duke) Burns Redshirt

What did you know about Allen prior to the FF in 2015? Barely played.
Not true really, his playing time picked up when Sulaimon was dismissed from the team. He had a big game against Wake in the regular season and of course he had a really good tournament and national championship game.

This situation has nothing to do with the Allen situation as Allen was never a redshirt candidate.

Not true really, his playing time picked up when Sulaimon was dismissed from the team. He had a big game against Wake in the regular season and of course he had a really good tournament and national championship game.

This situation has nothing to do with the Allen situation as Allen was never a redshirt candidate.

Ehhh... at this point in the season, Allen averaged about 3 points a game. Take out the very first game, where he scored 18 against a totally outmatched Presbyterian, and his average to this point of the season was about 2 points per game. At this point of the season he had had 11 games where he didn't even score a single point. The Wake game was at the very end of the regular season, and up until the Wisconsin game, he averaged only about 4 points per game in both the ACC and NCAA tournament. So it wasn't like he was contributing that much.

And the comparison was being made because a bunch of non-Duke fans were piling on about what a terrible decision this was, and that there was no chance Baker would contribute anything this year. The point was made that guys who haven't contributed a lot yet can still step up and play a vital role, and Allen was pointed to as a recent example of exactly that. He wasn't being used as a comparison for being redshirted.

Ehhh... at this point in the season, Allen averaged about 3 points a game. Take out the very first game, where he scored 18 against a totally outmatched Presbyterian, and his average to this point of the season was about 2 points per game. At this point of the season he had had 11 games where he didn't even score a single point. The Wake game was at the very end of the regular season, and up until the Wisconsin game, he averaged only about 4 points per game in both the ACC and NCAA tournament. So it wasn't like he was contributing that much.

And the comparison was being made because a bunch of non-Duke fans were piling on about what a terrible decision this was, and that there was no chance Baker would contribute anything this year. The point was made that guys who haven't contributed a lot yet can still step up and play a vital role, and Allen was pointed to as a recent example of exactly that. He wasn't being used as a comparison for being redshirted.
Why should we care what some boner on a message board says about Baker's redshirt? We have 2 threads on this board about a player that no one outside of Duke fans even knew existed until yesterday.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Why should we care what some boner on a message board says about Baker's redshirt? We have 2 threads on this board about a player that no one outside of Duke fans even knew existed until yesterday.
You just got owned, admit it.

Reactions: kl40504
I think Baker has a higher ceiling than Alex O'Connell or Jack White. And he was one of our best 3-point shooters in practice. K knows we royally suck from 3. I don't think he burns his redshirt year just to play spot minutes. Hard to make your college debut on the road against Syracuse - and it's hard to get meaningful minutes when O'Connell was red-hot. He'll get more opportunities, no doubt.

FWIW, Jack White has missed 25 consecutive 3-pointers; I tend to think it's more of a loss of confidence than anything. White's shot seemed fine the frist two months of the season. I don't know if everyone noticed, but White didn't get into the game at all against Cuse. Seems like K is semi-deseperate and obviously has interest in finding more reliable 3-point shooters. Baker from all accounts, is very accurate from deep.

Reactions: sgrooms
Bottom line is kid shouldn’t of played. You didn’t need him to beat Syracuse, and going forward it’s not like he’s going to go on some tear and be the difference maker. He is probably playing more now, than he will his whole career at duke

Whoa... I guess, judging by your posts over on Rafters, that you’ve given up on ever being unbanned at DI?Laughing

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
I literally lol'ed:)
It's funny. It's just funny in a sad way. A grown man saying things like rat face and puke and talking like he knows what is best for a player he had probably never heard of. I just don't understand why the whole Joey Baker thing is a story for non Duke fans. A lot of people are blowing this way out of proportion.

Reactions: TheDude1
I'd be interested to know how the team takes Baker coming in. He is clearly part of the crew... the story of Zion calling out Sports Illustrated for not including Baker on its cover and refusing to be in the photo without him was a really interesting moment in terms of how a redshirt guy mixes in with the rest of the guys. I mean, you figure a redshirt player does every single thing the regular guys do except play in the actual games... they might be really happy to have him contributing, and it might be a nice spark.

I'd be interested to know how the team takes Baker coming in. He is clearly part of the crew... the story of Zion calling out Sports Illustrated for not including Baker on its cover and refusing to be in the photo without him was a really interesting moment in terms of how a redshirt guy mixes in with the rest of the guys. I mean, you figure a redshirt player does every single thing the regular guys do except play in the actual games... they might be really happy to have him contributing, and it might be a nice spark.
I think he comes in and meshes well. K said that he will be getting minutes going forward, also said that he has been eager to play and has worked very hard in practice. That has to shut down the notion that K forced him out there. Probably not though.

Also, if you heard Barrett and Bolden talk about him, they both said that he is one of the hardest workers that Duke has. And like you said about the Sports Illustrated picture, there is a definite friendship between Baker and the other freshmen. Hell, you could see that during the Louisville game. Baker was the first one to get in the guys faces and build them up.

I don't know what the outcome of him being introduced into the lineup this late in the season will be. As does no one else. But I think it will have a positive impact.

Why did you make me go look at that? What a pathetic fvck @Wall2Boogie is.

I literally lol'ed:)

It's funny. It's just funny in a sad way. A grown man saying things like rat face and puke and talking like he knows what is best for a player he had probably never heard of. I just don't understand why the whole Joey Baker thing is a story for non Duke fans. A lot of people are blowing this way out of proportion.
Whoa... I guess, judging by your posts over on Rafters, that you’ve given up on ever being unbanned at DI?Laughing

Deep down I truly love you guys. No homo of course

Deep down I truly love you guys. No homo of course
two-face-harvey-dent-batman-the-telltale-series-3.02.jpg

WAY deep down:)
I may talk shit on the home board, but we all do. I’m respectful to everyone here. You, letsgoduke, and a few others some of my my favorite posters here that’s not bull shit that’s the truth. That’s what I like about this board because we come from all teams and have civil conversations

I may talk shit on the home board, but we all do. I’m respectful to everyone here. You, letsgoduke, and a few others some of my my favorite posters here that’s not bull shit that’s the truth. That’s what I like about this board because we come from all teams and have civil conversations

Heh. I actually posted a thread defending Luke Maye against all the moronic bashing Duke fans pile on him on the Duke home forum. It didn't go over that well, although a few people agreed:)

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
Heh. I actually posted a thread defending Luke Maye against all the moronic bashing Duke fans pile on him on the Duke home forum. It didn't go over that well, although a few people agreed:)

UNC fans should bring that backwoods nonsense here. ;)

kidding of course UNC fans. Please don't.

Hey, I'm just not totally homerific. I used to get pissed when they'd introduce Rasheed Wallace at Cameron and the Crazies would shout "Hi Rasheed, YOU SUCK!" Uh... no, he most definitely does NOT suck. I would have KILLED to have Tyler Hansbrough in a Duke uniform.

That's terrible. 2 games and only played 2 minutes. K doesn't use his bench like Roy or Cal but to burn a redshirt like this is a head scratcher.

Not sure K can trust Baker at this point. 50% of his field-goal attempts are air-balls. That is alarmingly high, wouldn't you say?

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
The problem with K is that when the team starts losing, he's done experimenting and just wants to play his best players all the minutes they can handle.

We've been in two dogfights recently; I'm hoping we can get Joey some burn over the next 2 games vs Miami and Wake at home.

But how many shots has he put up, 2? I haven't checked.
Yes. His post was complete sarcasm. I can't speak for him, but I am pissed about him only getting one minute last night. I loved the idea of trying something different, but instead we went with what hasn't worked since December.

Yes. His post was complete sarcasm. I can't speak for him, but I am pissed about him only getting one minute last night. I loved the idea of trying something different, but instead we went with what hasn't worked since December.

K doesn't give his bench any rope and I think they know that. It seems his approach is you mess up one time and you're back on the pine.

ADVERTISEMENT