ADVERTISEMENT

Best team to never make it to final 4 and beyond. 2010 Kentucky

strictly on talent every year UK doesn’t make the final 4 should be considered a choke job. Kentucky has very rarely played a game in the last decade where they were less talented then the other team.

Define "talent." Then explain how it's synonymous with winning college basketball games. Please be sure to ignore (as you surely are) age, experience, development, skill, and fit/chemistry. And truly, from the bottom of my cold, dead heart, thank you for yet again blessing these forums with such an ill-formed argument.

strictly on talent every year UK doesn’t make the final 4 should be considered a choke job. Kentucky has very rarely played a game in the last decade where they were less talented then the other team.

It's almost like raw talent isn't the only thing that matters. I can't tell you how many keyboard warriors told UK fans "you'll never win big games with only freshmen" after we hired Calipari. Now every year we don't win it all is a "failure". What changed?

Reactions: Montana81
Seems like a silly thing to argue about, for one. Kentucky controlled both games. But since we are, you left out something fairly important. No Anthony Davis for the the last 14 minutes of the first half? No wonder they kept it close for awhile. KU had almost 40 minutes of Davis shutting down the paint. And still managed to be closer late in the game.
No, Kentucky didn't control both games You guys were down 19 at one time: Trailed by 14 at the half...Kentucky led that game by 10+ for almost 24/25 minutes. You made a late run. Got to within 5, with 1:30 to go. UK controlled that game, yes. Not the IU game..

Yes Davis was out due to fouls; picked up his second with 14:05 to go. UK led 16-13. BUT, Hulls had picked up 2nd as well, with about 16 minutes to go, and had to go to the bench. Then in a span of 10 seconds, Zeller gets nailed with 2 fouls.. Then with 10:42, Oladipo picks up his second....

So with 10 to go in the 1st half, IU had Hulls, Zeller and Oladipo, on the bench, with 2 fouls. UK has AD out with two. At that point UK led 26-20.

UK pushed the lead to 31-22, forcing Crean to bring back Hulls/Zeller at the 9 minute mark. IU got the lead to 3 with 7 minutes to go, and Zeller returned to the bench, and did not return. Score was 31-28.

IU had huge foul trouble as well my friend. They were w/o Hulls, Oladipo and Zeller for large portions of the 1st half.

In '10 Kansas was #1 and the tournament's top seed ahead of Kentucky before they were upset by Northern Iowa.

WV team that beat UK was top 10 the entire season and won the Big East tournament just before the NCAAs. And that was in the Big East's heyday, a little different than the SEC.

WV was 2 seed and 30-6 before beating 1 UK. Cal said after it was a game good enough for the national championship. It was the tournament's only 1-2 meeting in a regional final. Huggs was 8-1 vs Cal after that Elite 8 game. I give that collection of UK talent its props, but that WV team was significantly better than most might remember. In other words, it wasn't as utterly shocking as it is pegged, say as was N Iowa's win over the #1 team.

WV and Syracuse were the two teams I really didn’t want to see in that tournament. Was praying for you guys to get beat before the E8. I knew that 1-3-1 would be a problem for us.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
It's almost like raw talent isn't the only thing that matters. I can't tell you how many keyboard warriors told UK fans "you'll never win big games with only freshmen" after we hired Calipari. Now every year we don't win it all is a "failure". What changed?

right. You’d think as loaded as that UK team was we would have been better than pre season #5. We ended up right where we were expected to on paper.

No, Kentucky didn't control both games You guys were down 19 at one time: Trailed by 14 at the half...Kentucky led that game by 10+ for almost 24/25 minutes. You made a late run. Got to within 5, with 1:30 to go. UK controlled that game, yes. Not the IU game..

Yes Davis was out due to fouls; picked up his second with 14:05 to go. UK led 16-13. BUT, Hulls had picked up 2nd as well, with about 16 minutes to go, and had to go to the bench. Then in a span of 10 seconds, Zeller gets nailed with 2 fouls.. Then with 10:42, Oladipo picks up his second....

So with 10 to go in the 1st half, IU had Hulls, Zeller and Oladipo, on the bench, with 2 fouls. UK has AD out with two. At that point UK led 26-20.

UK pushed the lead to 31-22, forcing Crean to bring back Hulls/Zeller at the 9 minute mark. IU got the lead to 3 with 7 minutes to go, and Zeller returned to the bench, and did not return. Score was 31-28.

IU had huge foul trouble as well my friend. They were w/o Hulls, Oladipo and Zeller for large portions of the 1st half.
One thing that IU team did that season that KU couldn't do.., was beat the eventually National Champions that year.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
One thing that IU team did that season that KU couldn't do.., was beat the eventually National Champions that year.
giphy.gif

I like both of you, a lot, but you both run into the buzzsaw of that UK team. As much as I love to watch you girls squabble and go back and forth, which was highly entertaining, I just thought i'd bring some actual facts to the table.

UK ended both of your seasons, both of you had really great teams, UK was just better. SmokinSmile

It would have been great if IU and KU were in the same region that year.

With all that said, IU did beat UK that year, on their home court with a last second shot. It changed IU celebration standards forever.

*Just wanted to brag on UK a bit. It comes with being overly insecure.

Last edited:
No its not. But it should be a ton more, with the teams/seeding you guys have had. It ain't my fault you guys are known for losing to mid-majors, in the NCAAT. And that's exactly my point. NCAAT is a crap shoot. A "luck of the draw". Where you go, and who's in your region, is just as important to your seed. I mean, this year for IU---seen as anywhere from a 9 to an 11. Well, I'd much rather had been a 10 or an 11. Avoid the 1 seed in the 2nd round. Same applies with Indiana in 2012. That team was playing really well. And it showed against UK. That night, I don't think anyone but Kentucky, beats Indiana. Its not a homer take. Its a take where you see how a team was playing. And that team was playing very good baskertball. Which is why I believe they are one of the better teams, not to get to a FF. That team was good.

Saying it should be a “ton” more is a stretch. They should have a few more, and a few more titles. But 1 seeds reach the final four about 4 times out of 10. KU’s rate has been 3 of 10. Their win rate as a 2 is up there with the best. They have a better record than anyone as a 3 seed.

KU’s overall win % as the higher seed is 80%. 2% lower than Kentucky and UNC. They fall a little behind other bluebloods in win rate as a 1 seed (but only a few wins behind Kentucky in the same number of games). But the real difference between KU and the other bluebloods is their record in national championship games. Two of those were lost by a point.

Saying they’ve lost to lower seeds way more than other top schools ain’t accurate. You just have some notable recent ones fresh in mind.

I will say that I’d rather see a big name than a midmajor in the tourney any day. That struggle has been real.

Btw, since seeding began, Indiana’s only played to seed 13 out of 30 times. With a loss in the Sweet 16 the last time they were a 1, and many losses to double digit seeds.

By your logic, we could say that several other schools “should have a ton more” of this or that, but the actual rates of success tell us that’s not realistic.

Last edited:
Btw, for reference, KU has played to seed or better in 18 of 36. Many of those in which they didn’t play to seed were 1 vs 2 elite eight games.

Last edited:
Define "talent." Then explain how it's synonymous with winning college basketball games. Please be sure to ignore (as you surely are) age, experience, development, skill, and fit/chemistry. And truly, from the bottom of my cold, dead heart, thank you for yet again blessing these forums with such an ill-formed argument.
So the one and done model is not the best model for winning titles?

Thank you guys for the envy but as I’ve told other young kids that post on this board, the best team doesn’t always win. You’ll learn this as you get older!

Correct but a NBA team which they basically were, should always beat a college team with no future pro's. The starting 5 that game in Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Patterson, Miller have all started many NBA games.

It never has been. Outside UK in 2012 and duke in 2015 the teams that won it had upper class men. Experienced talent trumps inexperienced talent all day every day.

thanks for confirming that coach cal cares more about signing day and draft night than championships

Pearl has never put an Assistant in prison. Try again
My bad he avoided prison.

Former Auburn assistant basketball coach avoids prison

Former Auburn University assistant basketball coach and NBA star Chuck Person's lifelong generosity may have driven him to the poorhouse, but it saved him from the jailhouse Wednesday when a judge sentenced him in a bribery scandal that touched some of the biggest college basketball programs.

U.S. District Judge Loretta A. Preska cited Person's "random acts of charity that happened all the time" as she explained why he won't be locked up for taking bribes to steer top college players toward a financial adviser who was cooperating with the government's investigation.

"The worst thing you have to say is that you were charitable to a fault," she told Person, who wiped tears from his face repeatedly. "Keep up the good work."

She ordered him to do 200 hours of community service during the two years the Probation Department will supervise him.

"No purpose would be served by incarceration," Preska said.

Correct but a NBA team which they basically were, should always beat a college team with no future pro's. The starting 5 that game in Cousins, Bledsoe, Wall, Patterson, Miller have all started many NBA games.

One little thing you left out was the fact that they wasn’t pros at that time, they was just freshman with a couple of upperclassman. I understand the Kentucky hate, it goes along with being the top college basketball team of all time but don’t make it so obvious that it makes you look silly.

The 2008 title game is on CBS right now. I feel like these teams would easily go undefeated these past few years. Is that just nostalgia and me overvaluing them? They’re both sooooo good.

The 2008 title game is on CBS right now. I feel like these teams would easily go undefeated these past few years. Is that just nostalgia and me overvaluing them? They’re both sooooo good.

They’re good but I think you’re overvaluing them. There have been some really good teams in the last 5 years. Also, how does Cal not foul up 3 there???

They’re good but I think you’re overvaluing them. There have been some really good teams in the last 5 years. Also, how does Cal not foul up 3 there???
That was a lot of fun rewatching the game. I tried to enjoy it like it was my first time. My wife had no idea who was going to win although I’m sure she had a hunch based off my giddy ness.

Looks like it’s your turn. 2019 title game just started.

Reactions: jhmossy
That was a lot of fun rewatching the game. I tried to enjoy it like it was my first time. My wife had no idea who was going to win although I’m sure she had a hunch based off my giddy ness.

Looks like it’s your turn. 2019 title game just started.

First time rewatching the entire game. I’ve just watched highlights.

Didn't realize so much had to go right for y'all to win that. Memphis choked so hard. That 08 team is the team your fans tout as the best champion of the last 20 years? Lmao. 12 UK would win seven out of ten.

Didn't realize so much had to go right for y'all to win that. Memphis choked so hard. That 08 team is the team your fans your tout as the best champion of the last 20 years? Lmao. 12 UK would win seven out of ten.
Not according to whatifsports.com. Kentucky actually loses like 9 out of 10 on there. It’s the 2nd most scientific way to compare the two team behind KenPom (where Kentucky is worse as well).

Sorry but 2012 Kentucky is closer to 2013 Louisville than they are to 2008 Kansas.

its-science-1506506071.gif

Not according to whatifsports.com. Kentucky actually loses like 9 out of 10 on there. It’s the 2nd most scientific way to compare the two team behind KenPom (where Kentucky is worse as well).

Sorry but 2012 Kentucky is closer to 2013 Louisville than they are to 2008 Kansas.

its-science-1506506071.gif

I actually enjoyed watching that game. Memphis did choke way harder than I remember though. That was a crazy last few minutes of regulation.

**** Arkansas. They’re having a live news conference about COVID-19 on CBS right now. I’ve missed almost the entire first half.

Final minutes in 08 was just Cal getting severely outcoached by Self as usual (when the talent level is close).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT