• Louisville

• MSU

• Villanova

• Florida

• UNC

• Maryland

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sure. My whole point is that, although being homers, picking Kentucky isn’t a bad pick this year.

But he's right that practically every fan whose team has a chance will vote for that team. And even many who don't have a realistic shot. Hence all the "others."

Reactions: dukedevilz
Wait, what? I mean, you had a few that voted elsewhere. RipThru, Demarcus Kidd-Miller, Kevin Bryan. Probably missing a couple. Obviously the poll isn't quite that extreme. Again, not trying to single Kentucky fans out. Almost every fanbase overwhelmingly voted for their team. Kentucky is a great team. I'm only suggesting the results would be more meaningful if we were required to vote for a team other than our own.
It was all tongue in cheek. Kind of. We should be leading by more votes though. Winking

Reactions: dukedevilz
Is that you Zipp? Not hardly a Super Bowl when you win all the time.
It’s all you ever seem to talk about, so if the shoe fits. I’d be more concerned about conference play and the post season moreso than a OOC game in December..

It’s all you ever seem to talk about, so if the shoe fits. I’d be more concerned about conference play and the post season moreso than a OOC game in December..
Anyone who bring up zipp gets a negative like from me....If I could give negative likes. He should be completely ostracized from the Rivals lexicon.

Shit, I just said Zi....hahhah. i almost did it again.

Reactions: RipThru and UL_1986
But who has better odds this year, would you say? Michigan state? Maybe? UK fans may have mostly picked Kentucky but Kentucky probably has the second best odds of any team this season

Yeah but how often is that the case? Not sure people thought TTU would be in the title game with what they lost the year prior. And not UVA either because they choke. Villanova turned out to be really good, but I bet they didn’t have the best odds or even third best at the beginning of the season when they won it. Likely the same with UNC.

Yeah but how often is that the case? Not sure people thought TTU would be in the title game with what they lost the year prior. And not UVA either because they choke. Villanova turned out to be really good, but I bet they didn’t have the best odds or even third best at the beginning of the season when they won it. Likely the same with UNC.
I'm not sure the point here. We're talking about pre season predictions. Hence the thread title. Odd's are MSU won't win it all, or any particular team predicted in the preseason.

The favorites in the title game sometimes doesn't win it. Are you pointing out upsets happen in sports.

Listing underdogs....nvm. It's redundant from here.

I'm not sure the point here. We're talking about pre season predictions. Hence the thread title.

The favorites in the title game sometimes doesn't win it. Are you pointing out upsets happen in sports.

Listing underdogs....nvm. It's redundant from here.

No. He asked who had better odds this year than Uk, which means that’s the reason why a lot has picked them. I was pointing out that preseason odds tend to fade out.

Anyone who bring up zipp gets a negative like from me....If I could give negative likes. He should be completely ostracized from the Rivals lexicon.

Kev must live rent free in this guys head. Plus that’s such an easy retort, “you’re like Zipp, hur dur dur” it’s like ...ok

giphy.gif

No. He asked who had better odds this year than Uk, which means that’s the reason why a lot has picked them. I was pointing out that preseason odds tend to fade out.
Exactly, I thought that went without saying. Hence "preseason".

Odds and preseason polls. ie Kenpom are all anyone has to go by when making a prediction. Hindsight doesn't work in threads like this.

Even the best team has a small shot percentage wise to win the championship. So you’re basically throwing darts at a board in this sport when trying to pick a champion

Reactions: RipThru
Past 6 Champs in the AP Preseason, FWIW:

2019: Virginia, #5
2018: Villanova, #6
2017: UNC, #6
2016: Villanova, #11
2015: Duke, #4
2014: UConn, #18

Past 6 Champs in the AP Preseason, FWIW:

2019: Virginia, #5
2018: Villanova, #6
2017: UNC, #6
2016: Villanova, #11
2015: Duke, #4
2014: UConn, #18
Average ranking is around 8. Even with preseason being mostly speculation, people who follow the game tend to know what teams have better odds than others

Even the best team has a small shot percentage wise to win the championship. So you’re basically throwing darts at a board in this sport when trying to pick a champion

I can picture a couple dude's playing darts and one saying "well you didn't throw a triple 20 the last time". "The last few guys that did throw a bulleyes or trip 20, weren't expected too.".

It's a completely flawed way of thinking.

Does any UK fans they're being over ranked and overrated ? I certainly think they can end the season in the top 5. But right now I don't really see it.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Does any UK fans they're being over ranked and overrated ? I certainly think they can end the season in the top 5. But right now I don't really see it.
As @dukedevilz and many UK fans have pointed out, our front court doesn't have depth. That could be our downfall. Our backcourt is as good as it gets and I'm curious to see if the "NBA game" translates as much as Calipari has been talking about.

I'd have no problem with UK being ranked a couple spots lower.

I still think we have a Championship caliber team when looking at others schools pros/cons.

We actually have more experience than usual returning. Add in the recruiting class and we will be pretty good. Not sure how good from the start but I feel like a top 3 ranking is justified for this team at this point

I was looking back through the UK media guides and UK has only had one guy listed as a true center (Dakari Johnson). I'm a little surprised Richards isn't.

Not sure why I posted that here.

Believe me, I'm not concerned about UL, whatever the outcome of the game. I mean, you gotta win one eventually, right? Amused is the more appropriate term. I find UL amusing...

Reactions: JC for 3
We actually have more experience than usual returning. Add in the recruiting class and we will be pretty good. Not sure how good from the start but I feel like a top 3 ranking is justified for this team at this point

While true, we still only have 4 guys returning, not counting Payne.

With that said, going back to his UMASS and Memphis days, Calipari's best teams were a short rotation.

I only did it because he used that term religiously for a while, almost as if wanting to win the game more than your opponent made it ok to get your ass kicked time, after time, after time...

Reactions: JC for 3
I only did it because he used that term religiously for a while, almost as if wanting to win the game more than your opponent made it ok to get your ass kicked time, after time, after time...
I get it. Superbowl sets ppl off, Q likes to say "Kings of" and he always gets a response. 40-0 brings out stuff as well (except when @HRTheCard uses it, he just does it wrong). I like to think it's all in fun. Every team has "catch" phrases.

Last edited:
Jimbo's right, there's a handful of schools whose homerism can be validated most years. UK, under Cal, is one of them. Lurkers right in that I doubt there's more than one or two non-UK posters that voted Kentucky. We get a bad rep. Like any school, some is warranted, most isn't though.

But, others are right in that a lot of polls get skewed because of the number of passionate UK fans. Look at any online college basketball poll. Pretty sure we made Tyrese Maxey the winner of a pre-season POTY award. He'll be very good.. but he won't sniff POTY. That poll could've said Brennan Canada and he probably would've won lol. That's with UK fans voting against every other fanbase (for the most part). Step your passion game up CBB fans :)

I think we're rated too high most years. But I also believe we can get to that ranking most years. There's always vet teams deserving of a higher ranking pre-season. We throw out a bunch of 18 year olds hoping they develop great chemistry in 5 months. Cal usually gets them close and they do well in March. Some haven't panned out like polls suggest. We've honestly only had 4-5 teams that deserved a top 5 pre-season ranking in Cal's time here. They throw us up there because everyone surrounding CBB puts way too much stock in recruiting numbers.

I'm just here for the gang bang. You guys are way smarter than I am,I learn quite a bit about other teams by reading this board.

I just don't know who the guy is on UK. Is anyone expecting Ej or Richards to be a a force?Is Juzang or Whitney really one and done type of impact? Can Quickly or Hagans going to put up AA numbers?

I think they'll be a good defensive team and struggle to score inside. I think they will be a 2-4 seed and be S16-EE good with a shot at a FF, but pre season 2?

I just don't know who the guy is on UK. Is anyone expecting Ej or Richards to be a a force?Is Juzang or Whitney really one and done type of impact? Can Quickly or Hagans going to put up AA numbers?

I think they'll be a good defensive team and struggle to score inside. I think they will be a 2-4 seed and be S16-EE good with a shot at a FF, but pre season 2?
I think you nailed it with defense. IIRC most of our players have over a 7' wingspan. We're going to definitely rely on shooting and defense. Mostly defense.

We need Nick and EJ to be a force. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Like I've said, I believe small ball will be our best line-up. Our back court will be really good. Juzang will struggle early, but will be more than serviceable by March. Quickly has looked leagues better. Hagans shot seems to really improved. Maxey might lead us in scoring.

Sestina looks to be good for us. Plays hard and can really shoot. But he did struggle against top tier teams last year. Is that him or was it those teams focusing him because noone around him was close to what he'll have at UK? We'll see if talent around him helps.

Keion Brooks will surprise most teams IMO. If you play us you better hope your staff prepares for him. He might not put up big numbers but I can see him being a difference maker.

I have no clue what to make of Whitney right now. Hasn't looked great so far.

Laughing I'll try and work on it. RollLaugh

Lol it's from the same movie as the line you said. I wasn't calling you a *** :)

I don't think we need Richards AND EJ to step up; just one of the two because I'm not sure how you keep Sestina from playing a lot of 4 and some 5. Maxey will most likely be the dude on this team, and I think Brooks can contribute. But, Calipari himslef has said if you don't have a post game your team is a fraud, and I am not convinced Richards or Montgomery can carry the mail at this point. Hope they prove me wrong.

Hell I haven't voted yet lol. I keep asking myself what is UK going to look like in 3 months? What are they going to be good at? I only see 2 teams on paper that should be good out of the gates, that's MSU and KU. Other than that, its about potential. I think MSU is fool's gold and KU has a huge cloud following them around and its only going to get bigger as the year progresses. How are they going to respond? Us against the world or woe is us lol.

BTW I'm just brain dumping :rolleyes:

Some things I like early about the Cats high energy, chemistry is great, shooting for once, quickness and length. Lack of toughness is a weakness, Nick has great skills, but I would like to see him get some PJ swagger. Probably not possible.

And I have to think about if we can overcome the NCAA screwing us in bracket selection, then the refs you know how bad they treat us. We have to be extra good because of that

I really don't see much of a weakness for KU at this point. MSU with out Langford is tough for them . Duke is way over rated to start the season. UK is a mystery.

I really don't see much of a weakness for KU at this point. MSU with out Langford is tough for them . Duke is way over rated to start the season. UK is a mystery.
I don’t think UK is any more of a mystery than KU. Most people have them 2 or 3 respectively. Our front court may be a mystery but I would challenge anyone to find a better backcourt than Hagans, Maxey, and Quickley.

Hell I haven't voted yet lol. I keep asking myself what is UK going to look like in 3 months? What are they going to be good at? I only see 2 teams on paper that should be good out of the gates, that's MSU and KU. Other than that, its about potential. I think MSU is fool's gold and KU has a huge cloud following them around and its only going to get bigger as the year progresses. How are they going to respond? Us against the world or woe is us lol.

BTW I'm just brain dumping :rolleyes:

Some things I like early about the Cats high energy, chemistry is great, shooting for once, quickness and length. Lack of toughness is a weakness, Nick has great skills, but I would like to see him get some PJ swagger. Probably not possible.

And I have to think about if we can overcome the NCAA screwing us in bracket selection, then the refs you know how bad they treat us. We have to be extra good because of that
Not trying to be a homer, but what makes you think MSU is fool’s gold? They made it to the Final Four last year and return their 2 best players, and multiple other pieces.

The Langford injury sucks but we were a Final Four team and Big Ten Champion without him. He was never going to be the same player pre-injury anyways.

I don’t think UK is any more of a mystery than KU. Most people have them 2 or 3 respectively. Our front court may be a mystery but I would challenge anyone to find a better backcourt than Hagans, Maxey, and Quickley.

Both averaged under 8 PPG last year. I expect them to be better for sure. Would like to see Maxey live. I think Dotson, Moss, Ochai and Garrett are scary together too.

I’m not saying they won’t be good but how is that not a mystery? Maxey’s an unknown. Hagans was good defensively last year but didn’t produce much offensively, and Quickley was pretty much a non-factor. And who knows what the front court is capable of. When you add in the fact that Whitney may not be ready to excel, there are quite a few questions.

With KU, at the very least, you know that you have a great center and one of the top PGs in the country. You also know that you have a quality shooter in Moss and a talented Agbaji. Plus a great rebounder in De Sousa.

Whitney seems to be the perfect example of why it’s impossible to assess a Kentucky team in preseason.

I’m not saying they won’t be good but how is that not a mystery? Maxey’s an unknown. Hagans was good defensively last year but didn’t produce much offensively, and Quickley was pretty much a non-factor. And who knows what the front court is capable of. When you add in the fact that Whitney may not be ready to excel, there are quite a few questions.

With KU, at the very least, you know that you have a great center and one of the top PGs in the country. You also know that you have a quality shooter in Moss and a talented Agbaji. Plus a great rebounder in De Sousa.

Whitney seems to be the perfect example of why it’s impossible to assess a Kentucky team in preseason.
Agree to disagree. Hagans is every bit as proven as Dotson is especially on defense. I’ve admitted I’m concerned about our center spot but that’s about it.

Not trying to be a homer, but what makes you think MSU is fool’s gold? They made it to the Final Four last year and return their 2 best players, and multiple other pieces.

The Langford injury sucks but we were a Final Four team and Big Ten Champion without him. He was never going to be the same player pre-injury anyways.

I'm not knocking on MSU as I think they'll be very good. I think it has to do more with the conference they play in and I believe their ceiling is set for the most part, The big 10 hasn't fared well this century.

ADVERTISEMENT